Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speed cameras 13:38 - Oct 2 with 11072 viewsSnipper

With the A40 now under average speed control, I've been using my cruise control and sticking rigidly to the limit. This hasn't stopped many cars going past me by anything up to 20mph.
Does anybody know what the threshold is for average speed cameras? I know it used to be 10% + 2 mph.

Many thanks in advance :-).
Speed cameras on 13:44 - Oct 2 with 8589 viewsexiled_dictator

depends what the rozzers have planned for their weekend.

an indian summer bbq with all the trimmings, and i am afraid you are screwed.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Speed cameras on 14:04 - Oct 2 with 8541 viewssuperstan

I'm up and down there all the time (being a posh taxi driver) early mornings and late nights, to be safe I just stick to the limits, I don't know if they are even active yet but seem to have the desired effect.
Speed cameras on 14:20 - Oct 2 with 8491 viewsJamie

There is no set threshold for any form of speed camera, it's entirely at the discretion of the force in question.
Speed cameras on 14:24 - Oct 2 with 8497 viewsJuzzie

For the Gatso camera's I do believe it is 10% + 2mph but don't know if that's the same for average speed cameras.

I think they're doing the same along the A316 but not sure how they take into account roundabouts, traffic lights etc. You could easily do 60mph, then slow right down for one of the many roundabouts and it brings your ave. speed down even though you've done well over the limit.

[Post edited 2 Oct 2015 14:32]
Speed cameras on 14:28 - Oct 2 with 8484 viewslondonscottish

To answer the OP, feck knows.

But I went to Bucks and back the other day and wondered where the Gatsos had gone. And went too fast.

I did the same journey on Wednesday and It was only on my way back into town that I spotted the average speed cameras.....and slowed down

Cn8ts.....

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Speed cameras on 14:31 - Oct 2 with 8475 viewsNov77

some talk that once testing finishes should be in action end of october, cant find any evidence of anyone getting done yet. notice the hangar lane underpass limit is down to 30mph!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Speed cameras on 14:40 - Oct 2 with 8452 viewsterryb

Ain't got a clue mate.

However, ten years ago I attended a speed awareness course run by Thames Valley Police. At that time all their speed cameras were set for 36mph in a 30 speed limit apart from one that was set for 34!

One person on the course was there for doing 34mph!

I know this is no help with average cameras, but basically if they need prosecutions to reach their targets or to increase the funds from speeding fines, they will do do for 1mph above the limit!
Speed cameras on 14:52 - Oct 2 with 8426 viewsJuzzie

Speed cameras on 14:40 - Oct 2 by terryb

Ain't got a clue mate.

However, ten years ago I attended a speed awareness course run by Thames Valley Police. At that time all their speed cameras were set for 36mph in a 30 speed limit apart from one that was set for 34!

One person on the course was there for doing 34mph!

I know this is no help with average cameras, but basically if they need prosecutions to reach their targets or to increase the funds from speeding fines, they will do do for 1mph above the limit!

I went on a speed awareness course in the spring (now run by the AA) and they stressed very much it's not about meeting targets (there aren't any) or raising revenue. This is just what people trot out to excuse the fact they got caught speeding.

The cost to set all these cameras up, maintain them, all the admin etc. and clean up after accidents plus all the post-accident investigations, prosecutions etc is huge.

They'd rather not have to do it and they can avoid doing it if people just slowed down.

I see people going hell for leather (50-60mph+) over the Hammersmith flyover (30 limit but not possible to erect cameras) to just hit a long queue of traffic along the A4. What's the point? You don't get to where you are going any quicker.

The A316 too is actually quite a dangerous road, which is why it's been chosen as one of the 4 sections for the 2 year trial;

(a) A406 — Hanger Lane to Bounds Green Road;
(b) A40 — Polish War Memorial to Paddington Slip Road;
(c) A2 — Black Prince to Tunnel Avenue; and
(d) A316 — M3 to Hogarth Roundabout.

I use the A316 twice a day and whilst most of the people are fine, as always it's the one or two idiots that cause the problems. As winter is approaching we'll see more cars with mud all over the back of the car so the number plate can't be seen by a camera. They know exactly what they are doing and the chances of being stopped by a patrol car is slim.
Login to get fewer ads

Speed cameras on 15:22 - Oct 2 with 8370 viewskarl

Speed cameras on 14:24 - Oct 2 by Juzzie

For the Gatso camera's I do believe it is 10% + 2mph but don't know if that's the same for average speed cameras.

I think they're doing the same along the A316 but not sure how they take into account roundabouts, traffic lights etc. You could easily do 60mph, then slow right down for one of the many roundabouts and it brings your ave. speed down even though you've done well over the limit.

[Post edited 2 Oct 2015 14:32]

They have recently put up average speed cameras on the A9 Perth to Inverness and i believe you will get done on your average over a relatively short distance. For instance there are dual carriageway sections on this road and a camera logs you coming off one of these and clocks you to the next camera where your average will be taken (possibly 6-7 mile?), i imagine your A316 will be similar and at these roundabouts etc you will exit and enter camera zones.
The A9 section that is averaged is about 140 miles but your average over this distance won't be their calculation.
Speed cameras on 15:54 - Oct 2 with 8302 viewssouthernR

Often wondered, along some stretches of road there are several speed cameras - if I went through 4 cameras all above the limit would that be 4 lots of points and a ban?

Anyone know anyone that's done this?
Speed cameras on 16:10 - Oct 2 with 8282 viewskingsburyR

Stick to the speed limits and you havent got a problem!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Speed cameras on 16:23 - Oct 2 with 8256 viewsWatford_Ranger

Speed cameras on 16:10 - Oct 2 by kingsburyR

Stick to the speed limits and you havent got a problem!

That is true of course but some limits are just stupid in 2015. Wasn't the 70 motorway limit because that's what a Ford Sierra could do at the time? Having an 80 limit but more serious sanctions if going, say, 92+ seems a better limit for the modern day. Either that or flexible limits- 70 or even 60 when the weight of traffic demands it and then 80 or more when there's next to nothing on the roads.
Speed cameras on 17:33 - Oct 2 with 8179 viewsWestbourneR

Average speed checks are a con and aren't enforced - that's why people that know that are speeding past you.

M40 and M3 I regularly go at 70/80 in the average speed zones and I've never had a ticket.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Speed cameras on 17:48 - Oct 2 with 8158 viewsterryb

Speed cameras on 16:23 - Oct 2 by Watford_Ranger

That is true of course but some limits are just stupid in 2015. Wasn't the 70 motorway limit because that's what a Ford Sierra could do at the time? Having an 80 limit but more serious sanctions if going, say, 92+ seems a better limit for the modern day. Either that or flexible limits- 70 or even 60 when the weight of traffic demands it and then 80 or more when there's next to nothing on the roads.

Not quite right Watford.

The 70 speed limit was introduced in the '70's to reduce petrol comsumption during an oil crisis, at the same time as the three day week. I think (but I'm not certain) that this was then removed until the next oil scare. It has remained since then.

It was a regularity for cars to acceed 100mph. My Viva 105E often achieved this. In fact, I wrote the engine off on the M6 coming back from the 4-2 win at Wolves in a failed attempt to be home by 7.00pm!

When motorways came into being, circa'58, the current 70 sign meant there was no limit. This applied to all roads.

Like you, I would prefer flexible limits but I'm sure that the introduction has saved lives. Don't let them tell you though that it was brought in for safety reasons. Like almost everything else, the decision for the limit was based purely on finance.
Speed cameras on 18:38 - Oct 2 with 8104 viewsWatford_Ranger

Speed cameras on 17:48 - Oct 2 by terryb

Not quite right Watford.

The 70 speed limit was introduced in the '70's to reduce petrol comsumption during an oil crisis, at the same time as the three day week. I think (but I'm not certain) that this was then removed until the next oil scare. It has remained since then.

It was a regularity for cars to acceed 100mph. My Viva 105E often achieved this. In fact, I wrote the engine off on the M6 coming back from the 4-2 win at Wolves in a failed attempt to be home by 7.00pm!

When motorways came into being, circa'58, the current 70 sign meant there was no limit. This applied to all roads.

Like you, I would prefer flexible limits but I'm sure that the introduction has saved lives. Don't let them tell you though that it was brought in for safety reasons. Like almost everything else, the decision for the limit was based purely on finance.

Fair enough. Always happy to be educated. Not sure where I got the theory on Ford Sierra from. Probably Wikipedia nonsense.

A 70 limit compared to no limit is sensible and saves lives, of course. Given almost no one sticks to it though it's pretty redundant. An 80 limit just seems to me to make more sense nowadays and I can't believe there'd be more than a negligible increase in fatal or serious collisions.
Speed cameras on 19:16 - Oct 2 with 8061 viewsCamberleyR

The 70 limit was actually introduced in the mid 60s as a temporary measure in response to the high number of accidents that were occurring on the M1 at the time which didn't have a speed limit. It was made permanent a couple of years later.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Speed cameras on 19:24 - Oct 2 with 8046 viewsterryb

Speed cameras on 19:16 - Oct 2 by CamberleyR

The 70 limit was actually introduced in the mid 60s as a temporary measure in response to the high number of accidents that were occurring on the M1 at the time which didn't have a speed limit. It was made permanent a couple of years later.

And I stand corrected as well then Camberley.

I've just looked it up & forget what I wrote! Introduced in '65 & made permament in '67.

Is it that limits were lowered during the Heath Oil crisis & then restored afterwards? Or is my memory once again wayward?

Edited because I got it wrong again!
[Post edited 2 Oct 2015 19:30]
Speed cameras on 20:10 - Oct 2 with 7999 viewsmalcob

didn't they reduce the speed limits to 50 for a short while back then or did they just talk about it and not get round to it

I'd rather be in P block

Speed cameras on 21:03 - Oct 2 with 7946 viewsCamberleyR

Speed cameras on 19:24 - Oct 2 by terryb

And I stand corrected as well then Camberley.

I've just looked it up & forget what I wrote! Introduced in '65 & made permament in '67.

Is it that limits were lowered during the Heath Oil crisis & then restored afterwards? Or is my memory once again wayward?

Edited because I got it wrong again!
[Post edited 2 Oct 2015 19:30]

It may well have been lowered during the oil crisis with the nearly introduction of petrol rationing and subsequent three day week. A thing to remember is that 70 mph in your average family car back in the mid 60s (which would have had a top speed of about 85-90 mph) is the equivalent of a much higher speed in today's cars with modern technology that are a lot safer.

I think there is certainly a case for increasing the national speed limit even if as a temporary measure and if the number of accidents increases, reduce it to 70 again.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Speed cameras on 09:38 - Oct 3 with 7787 viewsterryb

Speed cameras on 20:10 - Oct 2 by malcob

didn't they reduce the speed limits to 50 for a short while back then or did they just talk about it and not get round to it

This may be what I was thinking of.

A reduction to 50mph for non motorway, dual carriageway roads has leapt into my mind as what happened (unless somebody knows differently).

I was shocked to see the 70 limit went back to '65 as I was absolutely sure of my "fact" that it was introduced in winter '73!
Speed cameras on 14:01 - Oct 13 with 7601 viewsNov77

Signs were up last night saying cameras will be operational from 26th October.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2015 14:26]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Speed cameras on 15:16 - Oct 13 with 7540 viewsblacky200

It won't be long till all road vehicles have black boxes automatically limiting how fast a car can go according to the speed limit. By that time there will be crash avoidance systems. Enjoy breaking the speed limit while you still can
Speed cameras on 16:01 - Oct 13 with 7491 viewsBluce_Ree

Speed limits have one useful thing about them. When some prick speeds past you at the speed of light and then crashes into a lorry like a right c*nt. I saw that a few years back and laughed heartily as I drove past him. C*nt.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

Speed cameras on 10:41 - Oct 19 with 7243 viewsJuzzie

As one of the 4 trial sections (A316 Hospital Bridge Rd Roundabout to A4 Hogarth Roundabout) is on my route to work I did a test run today.

I drove as I normally would, traffic was actually quite light for a pleasant change. These are the sat nav readings based on a motorbike vehicle;

Ave speed 27mph

Ave driving speed 31mph

So, taking into account roundabouts and traffic lights my average speed never went above 30mph let alone the 40mph the max speed limit is.
Even my driving speed (taking out the stops) was 31mph.

In a car and with heavier traffic these figures I think would come down further.

This mean one 'could' hoof it at 50+ along any clear stretches knowing the average speed will still keep you within the limits.

Not quite sure how that makes the roads any safer?
Speed cameras on 10:53 - Oct 19 with 7217 viewsbob566

in Ireland we have some daft limits. On single lane country roads (real dangerous ones) we have 100kph and then we have three lane dual carriageways (granted the very inside lane is a bus corridor) but the speed limit is 80kph.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024