Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Striker 10:12 - Aug 29 with 3734 viewsPatfromPoole

TICK TOCK
TICK TOCK

Time for the Club to show whether they are serious about wanting to get promoted or not this season.

Missing out on Piroe may yet be the moment which defines the season.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

New Striker on 15:33 - Aug 29 with 1419 viewsSFC_Referee

New Striker on 12:45 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

Why would we need another midfielder instead of a striker????

Because if we don’t sell Che Adams then we’ve easily got enough up front to last the season, whilst for the box to box midfielder options we’ve only got about 3, with won’t last you a championship season

Poll: Who’s everyone’s player of the season?

New Striker on 15:44 - Aug 29 with 1401 viewsPatfromPoole

New Striker on 15:33 - Aug 29 by SFC_Referee

Because if we don’t sell Che Adams then we’ve easily got enough up front to last the season, whilst for the box to box midfielder options we’ve only got about 3, with won’t last you a championship season

And Che Adams wouldn’t miss any games through injury????

New Striker on 15:56 - Aug 29 with 1386 viewsInTimeAddedOn

New Striker on 15:22 - Aug 29 by SaintNick

I dont want to seem a pedant here, but Orsic was signed on the 6th January

In the spirit of the success the signing was, even if the dates are three and a half weeks out surely??
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 15:59]
New Striker on 16:07 - Aug 29 with 1364 viewsPatfromPoole

New Striker on 15:12 - Aug 29 by SaintNick

There is no deja vu, a year ago we still had the likes of Semmens running the show, basically from both a football & financial point of view, now we have two tiers, financial and Wilcox as director of football.

We didn't let Ings leave, our hand was forced, Broja came in and now has become some sort of mythical figure, fact was he scored all 6 of his goals in the middle of the season, he had one assist (West Ham on Boxing Day) and in the final third of the season was clearly not interested, he failed to score in any of the final 15 games of the season.

Given we had 1 win and 2 draws in the final 12 games of the season I would hardly say he was influencing games in that final part of the season.

Its the dichotomy of Saints supporters, they can worship a player for scoring 6 goals and completely slag off one in the same time for getting 7, before making him the saviour of the club and claiming that selling him shows the club has no ambition.

Nick, when we were on our hot run of games around Christmas 2021 through to February 2022, when we drew with Spurs at home with 10 men, and then drew with both City at home and United away, beat Spurs away and then West Ham in the Cup, Broja was highly influential in all those games and ran all their defences ragged.

To be frank, they couldn’t cope with him, in a way that no other striker since has looked like doing even against mediocre opposition.

You can quote all the stats from Google, Transfermarkt or Wikipedia that you like, but he was the main reason we were so good over that 2-month spell, and if it wasn’t for that we would have gone down 12 months earlier than we did.

I don’t deny that he wasn’t as effective from March 2022 onwards; I don’t need Google, Transfermarkt or Wikipedia to tell me that.

Maybe, much like Dusan Tadic, he only turned it on against the big teams.

New Striker on 16:27 - Aug 29 with 1331 viewsSFC_Referee

New Striker on 15:44 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

And Che Adams wouldn’t miss any games through injury????

And that’s why we’ve got A.Armstrong, Alcaraz, Fraser, Mara, Stu and even tall Paul, to help out up front. As nobody’s seen yet if either Mara or tall Paul are any good in the championship, as neither have played, as for all we know this might be their level as well as may also be decent strikers.
As other than maybe 1 more winger to replace Tella, I think our striker force is about the only part of the team that I don’t watch to change whatsoever by Friday

New Striker on 17:24 - Aug 29 with 1276 viewsPatfromPoole

New Striker on 16:27 - Aug 29 by SFC_Referee

And that’s why we’ve got A.Armstrong, Alcaraz, Fraser, Mara, Stu and even tall Paul, to help out up front. As nobody’s seen yet if either Mara or tall Paul are any good in the championship, as neither have played, as for all we know this might be their level as well as may also be decent strikers.
As other than maybe 1 more winger to replace Tella, I think our striker force is about the only part of the team that I don’t watch to change whatsoever by Friday

There’s an awful lot of optimism in there on various players’ capabilities.

Tall Paul and Mara are League 1 at best. If that.

Fraser and Stu Armstrong are not strikers.

Both Alcaraz and Adam Armstrong are getting most joy when they are played just behind the main striker when they play. Armstrong was hopeless at Hillsborough when he was up top (waiting for the Google info that he scored that night……).

We only have one main striker in our current system. Che Adams.

New Striker on 17:37 - Aug 29 with 1252 viewsSFC_Referee

New Striker on 17:24 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

Both Alcaraz and Adam Armstrong are getting most joy when they are played just behind the main striker when they play. Armstrong was hopeless at Hillsborough when he was up top (waiting for the Google info that he scored that night……).

And how do you know that about Nara and TP? As once we’ve seen them play a few times in the championship we might be able to see, and may get a better image for it all, but until they get a few games at this level then nobody knows for sure.
And yeah Stu/Fraser aren’t strikers, but as wingers most would classify them as forwards, and as Tella showed last season, the decent wingers at this level can get you just as many goals as the central striker.
And with regards to Alcaraz and A.Armstrong, yeah I don’t disagree that they play better in a false 9 spot, but as A.Armstrong showed against QPR, he can still get goals when he is in the centre when we need him to be. And if he can get the goals from the false 9 spot, do we really need to rely that heavily on whoever’s in the actual 9 spot for goals? As one way or another we’ve got options up there, and 1 injury wouldn’t stuff us up if our choices for forwards stay the same.

But either way, we’ve still got options up there, and this is only if Che stays that I think we’re not too desperate to bring anyone in. Whilst in midfield we’ve currently just got Charles, Smallbone and Downes, which for a team that usually are playing 2 of them at a time, so if any of those 3 were to be injured, we would be stuffed, and would have to start messing around with the formations and only having really 1 box to box midfielder, or having 2 but nobody on the bench to replace them. And that there and then is exactly why we need another box to box/holding midfielder a lot more than any striker for who we’ve got available to us right now.

New Striker on 18:12 - Aug 29 with 1202 viewsSonicBoom

Che seems to get a free pass. He certainly seems keen to get away from us. If he stays we will still know that he'd rather be elsewhere.
We've really only got Adams and Armstrong who are goalscorers (alledgedly). I'd think we need one more as Onuachu doesn't seem to be fancied and Mara has had plenty of minutes and just doesn't look good enough.
I'd certainly be considering Ballard and I'm surprised the club haven't given him a chance yet.
We've banked a lot of money and replaced the leavers with loans. All very well but they are not our players and are not really long term solutions.
Login to get fewer ads

New Striker on 20:11 - Aug 29 with 1140 viewscocklebreath

New Striker on 17:24 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

Ballard

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

New Striker on 21:37 - Aug 29 with 1105 viewsfelly1

Can't be arsed to read all the posts below right now, so apologies if someone has already suggested it.
But why don't just pay Che top dollar and give him the extra 1 or 2 million year he'll get a Palace/ Bournemouth.

Surely there's a good argument to suggest if we let him go, we'll bring some bozo from Scotland or this Swiss guy for daft money and watch him score 6 goals this season.
We've already made the same mistake previously with Ings... We should have broke the bank to keep him.
Palace did it with Saha for years, and now they are a comfortable mid table Prem side.
New Striker on 21:38 - Aug 29 with 1101 viewsfelly1

New Striker on 21:37 - Aug 29 by felly1

Can't be arsed to read all the posts below right now, so apologies if someone has already suggested it.
But why don't just pay Che top dollar and give him the extra 1 or 2 million year he'll get a Palace/ Bournemouth.

Surely there's a good argument to suggest if we let him go, we'll bring some bozo from Scotland or this Swiss guy for daft money and watch him score 6 goals this season.
We've already made the same mistake previously with Ings... We should have broke the bank to keep him.
Palace did it with Saha for years, and now they are a comfortable mid table Prem side.

Zaha
New Striker on 21:43 - Aug 29 with 1097 viewsPatfromPoole

New Striker on 21:37 - Aug 29 by felly1

Agreed.

New Striker on 22:08 - Aug 29 with 1063 viewssaint22

New Striker on 21:43 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

Agreed.

we dont pay top dollar that's our problem getting anyone in
pay peanuts get monkeys
New Striker on 22:52 - Aug 29 with 1011 viewshedgeend61

New Striker on 22:08 - Aug 29 by saint22

pay peanuts get monkeys

We somehow got mugged into buying a pup for £18m last season,
we'd have been better off putting a red and white shirt on a monkey.

The monkey would run around more, have a better first touch, be able to jump, not get puffed out so quick and would have had a bigger a resale value.
New Striker on 23:31 - Aug 29 with 967 viewsLondonSaint76

New Striker on 15:22 - Aug 29 by SaintNick

I dont want to seem a pedant here, but Orsic was signed on the 6th January

Doh!
Er, nope, can't find a decent excuse for that one, damn...
Schoolboy error then!

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

New Striker on 08:45 - Aug 30 with 887 viewsMattFinish

New Striker on 15:12 - Aug 29 by SaintNick

There is no deja vu, a year ago we still had the likes of Semmens running the show, basically from both a football & financial point of view, now we have two tiers, financial and Wilcox as director of football.

We didn't let Ings leave, our hand was forced, Broja came in and now has become some sort of mythical figure, fact was he scored all 6 of his goals in the middle of the season, he had one assist (West Ham on Boxing Day) and in the final third of the season was clearly not interested, he failed to score in any of the final 15 games of the season.

Given we had 1 win and 2 draws in the final 12 games of the season I would hardly say he was influencing games in that final part of the season.

Its the dichotomy of Saints supporters, they can worship a player for scoring 6 goals and completely slag off one in the same time for getting 7, before making him the saviour of the club and claiming that selling him shows the club has no ambition.

I completely agree Nick about Broja. At very best he was one for the future but you’re talking about him scoring 6, Che scoring 7 (probably the highlight of his Saints career) while Armstrong and Mara weighed in with 3 goals between them in 54 PL appearances
It’s clear that we need a striker and have done for ages. We had one decent season from Ings who was always injury prone but failed to replace him

We’re now linked with 28 year old Lawrence Shankland who scored 5 goals for Beerschot in Belgium in 2021/22 while Onuachu was scoring 21 in the same season

I haven’t seen anyone we’ve been linked with who fill me with enthusiasm. Let’s hope Wilcox can pull someone out of the fire
New Striker on 09:15 - Aug 30 with 860 views1teeminants

New Striker on 21:43 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

Agreed.

We’re just about to bid for Sunderland’s Ross Stewart who’s been injured since last January .🥹

Adams wants out

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

New Striker on 09:16 - Aug 30 with 855 viewsButty101

New Striker on 16:07 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

Nick, when we were on our hot run of games around Christmas 2021 through to February 2022, when we drew with Spurs at home with 10 men, and then drew with both City at home and United away, beat Spurs away and then West Ham in the Cup, Broja was highly influential in all those games and ran all their defences ragged.

To be frank, they couldn’t cope with him, in a way that no other striker since has looked like doing even against mediocre opposition.

You can quote all the stats from Google, Transfermarkt or Wikipedia that you like, but he was the main reason we were so good over that 2-month spell, and if it wasn’t for that we would have gone down 12 months earlier than we did.

I don’t deny that he wasn’t as effective from March 2022 onwards; I don’t need Google, Transfermarkt or Wikipedia to tell me that.

Spot on Broja looked a great prospect. The whole team went off the boil from March not so thats hardly Broja's fault. You would expect the experienced players to step up and pull the team through, however they couldnt be arsed. So lets not blame the youthful on loan forward for the teams lack of form.
Clearly his goals and presence were not easily replaced by mara and armstong.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

New Striker on 09:26 - Aug 30 with 841 viewsSaintNick

New Striker on 16:07 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

I am not saying that he did not have some good games, in fact some very good games, but they all came in a very short period of time, by the New Year game the opposition had pretty much sussed out how to deal with him, hence he scored just twice in the Premier League after Boxing Day.

When he got the ball and ran at players he could be explosive, but other teams soon worked out how to deal with it and if he didn't have the ball at times he was lost and not knowing how to make the right runs etc.

Yes it could be said that he kept us up, but we are talking about 6 games and 6 goals and it is a team game.

Che Adams who scored a goal more, could equally have said to have kept us up, his 7 goals were worth 6 points Broja one more at 7 points.

He was part of the reason that we did so well in that two month spell, but after that we declined as he wasn't the same player, part of it as I have said is that the opposition had worked him out, part of it was inexperience and perhaps part of it was the fact that he didn't have the attitude to cope.

Truth is there was little to choose between either of them, it will be interesting to see if Broja can come back from injury and become the player that he was for two months at Southampton or whether he will mature and be more than just a battering ram

This post has been edited by an administrator

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

New Striker on 10:05 - Aug 30 with 808 viewsCity_boy

pay peanuts get monkeys

McCarthy hasn't complained about what he gets ! :)
New Striker on 13:35 - Aug 30 with 722 viewsfranniesTache

pay peanuts get monkeys

We can't pay top dollar because we don't have that sort of money to spend.

We have to pay back a loan (or refinance it) before the end of the year that is around £90m-£100m.

We are losing money when we play on tv because our shirt sponsor puts us in conflict with Sky's exclusivity rights for betting company advertising.

Our wage bill is still too high and needs reducing.

People need to manage their expectations of what we have available, and that means managing them down
New Striker on 08:23 - Aug 31 with 574 viewsMattFinish

New Striker on 13:35 - Aug 30 by franniesTache

We can't pay top dollar because we don't have that sort of money to spend.

We have to pay back a loan (or refinance it) before the end of the year that is around £90m-£100m.

We are losing money when we play on tv because our shirt sponsor puts us in conflict with Sky's exclusivity rights for betting company advertising.

Our wage bill is still too high and needs reducing.

People need to manage their expectations of what we have available, and that means managing them down

I don’t think anyone is saying we need to go out and buy a top dollar striker, I’m certainly not

I think we can expect as supporters to get one that’s fit for purpose. Yes we have a high wage bill that needs reducing so why get Ryan Fraser on loan when we have numerous players in his position

Other clubs of similar or lesser stature as us seem to be able to get adequate strikers. We spent £18m on Tall Paul then don’t give him a chance. Okay he may be cr@p but we don’t know

Whatever, it is highly possible Che will leave at the 11th hour and we have a drastic shortage of decent Championship strikers even if he stays
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024