Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales 13:24 - Oct 31 with 11126 viewspencoedjack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63456797

Strange we want to be called by a name only a small % of the country speak.

Very small minded but I’m sure it will keep a few idiots happy.
Wales on 20:21 - Nov 1 with 1136 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 18:02 - Nov 1 by Catullus

Really, because I have been working in the town centre 5 days a week for the last 9 months and I very rarely hear Welsh spoken. I hear African tongues, Eastern European and Asian tongues but hardly ever any Welsh, not even in the Market.

Swansea is very cosmopolitan these days

It is - and long may it continue.

Diversity is a strength.

Beware of the Risen People

Wales on 20:26 - Nov 1 with 1129 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 18:44 - Nov 1 by lifelong

Isn’t it wonderful that the Welsh language is still around despite English teachers beating children to stop them speaking it.

Its a gem of European significance.

The language of heaven that survived every attempt to eradicate it.

An inspiring story of quiet rebellion and a steely determination.

Wales on 20:28 - Nov 1 with 1120 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 19:57 - Nov 1 by bennytheblue

Do you? No chance, Plaid Cymru little deals with Drakeford to try and promote the language bla bla, they can force it on kids all they want but it’s pointless when your over the age of 18 less you want to move to Carmarthen and work for s4c or hang about with the north wales crew in whatever pub in cardiff they currently use…..

Cardiff is not in north Wales mun ?

Wales on 20:30 - Nov 1 with 1115 viewsKilkennyjack

A bit of sense from the main man at Merthyr.

There is no need for the yoons to fret.

Wales on 20:41 - Nov 1 with 1109 viewsBryanSwan

Wales on 18:13 - Nov 1 by Catullus

Equality? Anyone who wants to is free to learn and speak Welsh, that is equality. What isn't equality is forcing it on people who don't want it, that's bullying.

900k Welsh speakers worldwide, wow, what a tiny number that equates to about 30% of the Welsh population

Would just like to ask who exactly is having Welsh forced upon them?
I don't speak Welsh myself, but never have i been forced to learn nor discriminated against for not speaking it.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Wales on 21:13 - Nov 1 with 1067 viewsCatullus

Wales on 20:41 - Nov 1 by BryanSwan

I don't speak Welsh myself, but never have i been forced to learn nor discriminated against for not speaking it.

Well, my son doesn't want to learn Welsh, he wants t learn Spanish but can't, Welsh is compulsory. Then there's all official correspondence, it comes bi-lingually which is a massive wate of money but it's the law. Street signs, it's the law that they have to be in Welsh too, why not just have them in Welsh if it's so important but all that extra cost for bilingualism is money that could be better soent elsewhere, like on schools or the NHS.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Wales on 21:28 - Nov 1 with 1058 viewsbuilthjack

Wales on 21:13 - Nov 1 by Catullus

Well, my son doesn't want to learn Welsh, he wants t learn Spanish but can't, Welsh is compulsory. Then there's all official correspondence, it comes bi-lingually which is a massive wate of money but it's the law. Street signs, it's the law that they have to be in Welsh too, why not just have them in Welsh if it's so important but all that extra cost for bilingualism is money that could be better soent elsewhere, like on schools or the NHS.

Perhaps he ought to learn Welsh. It won’t do him any harm.
If Welsh is compulsory he should do well if he listens.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales on 21:30 - Nov 1 with 1058 viewsBryanSwan

Isn't that the same for a few school subjects which are compulsory but do not equate to a GCSE at the end? Not enough lesson time so having RE, PE, Welsh, Home Economics, Life lessons to make up the remaining few hours that wouldn't be enough for a full subject.

Is the extent of your argument really roadsigns and paperwork?
Most signs have been bilingual for years and years, it's not as if it was just decided and they've torn down every sign to replace them.
Most paperwork that is bilingual will be doublesided to reduce cost and it really is a miniscule expense compared to what else money is wasted on. (It also provides access to correspond in what many people use as their first language).

Login to get fewer ads

Wales on 21:46 - Nov 1 with 1041 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Wales on 13:34 - Oct 31 by ReslovenSwan1

100% of Welsh people know the name. Some of our recent immigrant population will pick it up easy enough. Everyone is doing it these days. Beijing, Turkiye etc.

Wales actually means 'foreigner' in Anglo Saxon. No one should feel a foreigner in our little land even foreigners.

Welsh football fans need to stop existing through English spectrum in general. Flag waving people labelling other people idiots are agitators in my view.

FAW is democratic and will enact the democratic will of the members. Hardly a "few idiots". Old boy prejudices are slowly been broken down.

I taught you the Anglo Saxon bit lol. We are Wales - not Cymru . Stop being so insular and small minded

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Wales on 21:47 - Nov 1 with 1042 viewsunion_jack

Wales on 21:30 - Nov 1 by BryanSwan

Isn't that the same for a few school subjects which are compulsory but do not equate to a GCSE at the end? Not enough lesson time so having RE, PE, Welsh, Home Economics, Life lessons to make up the remaining few hours that wouldn't be enough for a full subject.

Is the extent of your argument really roadsigns and paperwork?
Most signs have been bilingual for years and years, it's not as if it was just decided and they've torn down every sign to replace them.
Most paperwork that is bilingual will be doublesided to reduce cost and it really is a miniscule expense compared to what else money is wasted on. (It also provides access to correspond in what many people use as their first language).

It’s not ‘many’ though is it compared to those who use English as a first language.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Wales on 21:51 - Nov 1 with 1033 viewsBryanSwan

Wales on 21:47 - Nov 1 by union_jack

It’s not ‘many’ though is it compared to those who use English as a first language.

% wise probably not, but if you are providing a service to an entire country then x thousand of people should also be provided for. It isn't a massive expense to do so, so why should it not be done?

Wales on 21:53 - Nov 1 with 1028 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Wales on 21:51 - Nov 1 by BryanSwan

% wise probably not, but if you are providing a service to an entire country then x thousand of people should also be provided for. It isn't a massive expense to do so, so why should it not be done?

Welsh should be relegated to “regional language” status.

Wales on 21:56 - Nov 1 with 1015 viewsunion_jack

Wales on 21:51 - Nov 1 by BryanSwan

I don’t have figures but I’d say the cost could be significant and certainly could be put to better use to the benefit of all inhabitants.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Wales on 22:31 - Nov 1 with 980 viewsmajorraglan

People whinging about the translation costs, I’d suggest providing services to some of the people migrating to Wales /UK far outweighs what we’re spending on the Welsh language. In terms of Welsh language education it should be compulsory throughout school. I’m not saying every kid should have an O level in it by the time they leave school, but they should certainly be able to do the basics like Bore Da and manage a basic conversation.

I’m a fluent Welsh speaker, the jury is out for me on the name change.
Wales on 22:48 - Nov 1 with 959 viewsowainglyndwr

Wales on 21:53 - Nov 1 by Brynmill_Jack

One of the oldest languages
Wales on 00:15 - Nov 2 with 938 viewsKilkennyjack

Most things are digital now.
Please keep up at the back of the class.

Many countries have bilingual signs, its perfectly normal.

The Tories Brexit cost even more than the pandemic.
Get a sense of scale to your nonsense mun.
If you really want to save money start with the big money uk level items.
Unless you are just slinging mud in the hope that some will stick, of course.

You forgot to say that English was compulsory and your son wants to learn Spanish. For balance like.

Wales on 00:16 - Nov 2 with 937 viewsKilkennyjack

Nobody, its a load of madeup old bollox dragged up from 1974.

Wales on 00:18 - Nov 2 with 936 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 21:53 - Nov 1 by Brynmill_Jack

It cant be because Cymru is a nation see. 🤣🤣

Wales on 00:20 - Nov 2 with 935 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 21:56 - Nov 1 by union_jack

I don’t have figures but I’d say the cost could be significant and certainly could be put to better use to the benefit of all inhabitants.

What about Cymru being robbed of HS2 money ?
What about Cymru being paid the market rate for its water ?

Then Cymru could invest in itself.

Wales on 00:45 - Nov 2 with 928 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 21:46 - Nov 1 by Brynmill_Jack

I taught you the Anglo Saxon bit lol. We are Wales - not Cymru . Stop being so insular and small minded

We are Cymru not Wales.
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍

Wales on 23:22 - Nov 3 with 845 viewsKilkennyjack

WRU are now using Cymru ….🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿❤️

Wales on 06:42 - Nov 4 with 818 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Wales on 22:48 - Nov 1 by owainglyndwr

One of the oldest languages

I know and I love the language (just making a point to some). But the linguistic fascism really gets my goat. I’m very happy for people to learn Welsh etc but at the end of the day what would widespread or total use of the language do for us as a people or a country?

Wales on 08:11 - Nov 4 with 793 viewsScotia

I've had learning it forced on me and am discriminated against by not being able to speak/read/write it to a certain level.
Wales on 09:30 - Nov 4 with 769 viewsploppy

Wales on 06:42 - Nov 4 by Brynmill_Jack

I know and I love the language (just making a point to some). But the linguistic fascism really gets my goat. I’m very happy for people to learn Welsh etc but at the end of the day what would widespread or total use of the language do for us as a people or a country?

It allows us to talk about non-speakers when we don't want them to understand. That's what we do, apparently. Not because it's our mother tongue or anything.
Wales on 09:51 - Nov 4 with 763 viewsonehunglow

Wales on 06:42 - Nov 4 by Brynmill_Jack

It means we can bitch in one language

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024