Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? 09:00 - Jul 18 with 4743 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55290/steve-cooper-and-t

Click above for Gruff Stephens article
Click here for Twitter

This post has been edited by an administrator
Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:16 - Jul 18 with 1683 viewsonehunglow

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 21:57 - Jul 18 by BillyChong

Spot on. Cooper and Southgate appear to have been on the same defensive driven coaching courses at St George’s Park. They also must have been on the same ‘How to use your substitutes’ seminars.

They are both facially challenged with bad teeth their parents should have sorted.

Orthodontist are a great investment.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:26 - Jul 18 with 1654 viewsCrossJack

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:16 - Jul 18 by onehunglow

They are both facially challenged with bad teeth their parents should have sorted.

Orthodontist are a great investment.

Uncalled for much?
Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:34 - Jul 18 with 1647 viewsReslovenSwan1

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 18:52 - Jul 18 by jack247

Because you have no idea if they would make the grade in a non playing role.

England reached the final, kudos for that, they hardly did it playing the football you are associating with Graham Jones. They looked a lot more like a Cooper side than a Martinez side.

Jenkins had no proof Martinez would be a good coach but went with his instincts and he was proven correct. Subsequently managers built on this possession based grounding.

My logic is that one of the old school with sufficient intellect and drive can be of great help to get Cooper develop. Britton has been a disappointment to me and his wasting his time still playing. Players like Rangel and Routledge have learned off the best. They must have learned so much off Martinez, Sousa, Brendan and Laudrup in particular and also Guidolin. Cooper has not. With Jenkins out who will carry the mantle? Clearly Birch identified Britton but he walked.

England were able to play accurate progressive football for 40-60 minutes Wales even less. It not easy and has to be ingrained over at least half a season.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:46 - Jul 18 with 1617 viewsonehunglow

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:26 - Jul 18 by CrossJack

Uncalled for much?

That doesnt make sense as does not having teeth fixed when kids are young.

Free advice

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:56 - Jul 18 with 1609 viewsCrossJack

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:46 - Jul 18 by onehunglow

That doesnt make sense as does not having teeth fixed when kids are young.

Free advice

Neither does your poor use of grammar and punctuation. Apostrophes might help.

I won't charge for that either, help in the community.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2021 22:57]
Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 23:26 - Jul 18 with 1562 viewsQJumpingJack

Cooper has been quiet over the last six weeks.
As has Winter.
Will he be giving an update any time soon - plans for the season ahead. I can't recall if he has been quoted on any of the partnership press releases recently.
Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 03:22 - Jul 19 with 1469 viewsNotLoyal

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:56 - Jul 18 by CrossJack

73 😉

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 06:10 - Jul 19 with 1437 viewsjack247

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:34 - Jul 18 by ReslovenSwan1

Jenkins had no proof Martinez would be a good coach but went with his instincts and he was proven correct. Subsequently managers built on this possession based grounding.

My logic is that one of the old school with sufficient intellect and drive can be of great help to get Cooper develop. Britton has been a disappointment to me and his wasting his time still playing. Players like Rangel and Routledge have learned off the best. They must have learned so much off Martinez, Sousa, Brendan and Laudrup in particular and also Guidolin. Cooper has not. With Jenkins out who will carry the mantle? Clearly Birch identified Britton but he walked.

England were able to play accurate progressive football for 40-60 minutes Wales even less. It not easy and has to be ingrained over at least half a season.

I understand your logic, I just don’t agree with it. It’s based on fantasy and guesswork.

It’s not impossible that Rangel or Routledge could be great coaches, it’s just very far from a given.

Martinez as a manager was an incredible success. That was 14 years ago. Since then, we have tried the same thing with Monk and Britton. Prior to that, albeit under very difficult circumstances and without having played that kind of football, with Cusack (I think assisted by Freestone).

Jenkins also had immeasurably more insight into Martinez’ potential than you or I do into Rangel or Routledges.

It didn’t take half a season to imbed either. We were immediately better to watch when Martinez took over, though I’d admit that was for a few games, then it ramped up after a pre season. Potter also had us playing attractive football from the off.
Login to get fewer ads

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 08:27 - Jul 19 with 1372 viewsonehunglow

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:56 - Jul 18 by CrossJack

Life too short Champ.

See, I used a Capital letter for you in line with your ego,which is something I will be addressing.

You seem to have come from nowhere and deserve a little help.

Who were you on PS .?Got the guts to say?

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 11:03 - Jul 19 with 1301 viewsvetchonian

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 06:10 - Jul 19 by jack247

I understand your logic, I just don’t agree with it. It’s based on fantasy and guesswork.

It’s not impossible that Rangel or Routledge could be great coaches, it’s just very far from a given.

Martinez as a manager was an incredible success. That was 14 years ago. Since then, we have tried the same thing with Monk and Britton. Prior to that, albeit under very difficult circumstances and without having played that kind of football, with Cusack (I think assisted by Freestone).

Jenkins also had immeasurably more insight into Martinez’ potential than you or I do into Rangel or Routledges.

It didn’t take half a season to imbed either. We were immediately better to watch when Martinez took over, though I’d admit that was for a few games, then it ramped up after a pre season. Potter also had us playing attractive football from the off.

People look back at Potters time though some very rose tinted spectacles the football was not great and attractive form the off....check out the match reports form the first half of the season....the team was getting booed off as early as October....at least under Cooper it took until December!
A first victory since September lifts Swansea up to eighth in the table while Blackburn, who had won their past two matches, stay seventh a point ahead.

Swansea had won only one of their previous seven games, with manager Graham Potter frequently making several changes to his line-up in an attempt to arrest that slide.

He made a further five alterations for this game, but those failed to inspire the Swans as they meekly allowed Blackburn to control the early exchanges.
This from the Blackburn game at home link to full report pasted below

The visitors kept possession with little or no pressure from the Swans, whose midfield of Kyle Naughton, Matt Grimes and Tom Carroll was particularly ineffective.

Their lack of conviction made for a flat atmosphere inside the Liberty Stadium, much to the delight of their opponents.
From that point Rovers were content to simply hold on to the ball, seldom threatening to add to their lead but seemingly unworried by the prospect of a Swansea revival.

The ease of the visitors' task added to the sense of frustration simmering among the home fans, who booed the Swans' players off at the break.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45871760

In fairness Pottewr changed it at the break and turned the game around but the abilty to bring on the likes of Fer to replace the likes of TOm Carrol and Martin Olsenn shows the "stronger" squad he had at his disposal , how about this quote form our first home game under Potter

Swansea boss Graham Potter said: "If you can't grind out a result you are dead in any league..... this after a 1-0 win at home to Preston

or another quote from a goaless draw at Birmingham

How Birmingham City were not out of sight before half-time will have been a mystery to many at St Andrew's.

In the first half Blues had 14 shots and five on target, while Swansea - who won their first two league games - failed to trouble Birmingham's debutant keeper Lee Camp.

In the opening 45 minutes, Bogle had two great chances, Maghoma had a close-range effort deflected wide and Lukas Jutkiewicz shot wide from 10 yards, while Mulder made a great save from Harlee Dean's header.

While Garry Monk will be encouraged at the chances his side created, Swansea's lack of creativity up front will be a worry for boss Graham Potter.

and from the home game against Bristol City in August 5th game in under Potter
The goalkeeper was one of the few Swansea players to impress, as his outfield colleagues played with a distinct lack of pace and precision.

So I think many look back at Potters reign with very rose timred specs and forget he had a squad which included BOny though the team was struck with many injuries at the seasons start.

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 11:19 - Jul 19 with 1273 viewsjasper_T

It's the second half of his season that people look back on with fondness. Some of us were on his back all through the first half due to the constant tinkering (the "anti-Potter agenda" from those who wanted "to destabilise the club" supposedly), but he made a good case for it being necessary given the inexperience of many of those who would become his best players. He had a dozen Marc Guehi's who all needed time to bed in. That period allowed a more consistent lineup to crack on in January, and Cooper inherited a largely settled side to twist to his preferences.
Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 11:31 - Jul 19 with 1258 viewsvetchonian

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 11:19 - Jul 19 by jasper_T

It's the second half of his season that people look back on with fondness. Some of us were on his back all through the first half due to the constant tinkering (the "anti-Potter agenda" from those who wanted "to destabilise the club" supposedly), but he made a good case for it being necessary given the inexperience of many of those who would become his best players. He had a dozen Marc Guehi's who all needed time to bed in. That period allowed a more consistent lineup to crack on in January, and Cooper inherited a largely settled side to twist to his preferences.

I would agree with you Jasper, my post was a repsonse to the post re Potter playing attractive football from the start.....but as I have said before that second half fondness was mainly due to the Man City one off game where Celina had a point to prove and Dan James playing virtually every game and getting us out of our seats, though often there was no pretty passing football just a quick long ball for Dan to chase....it became exciting but Swanseola it was not!

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 15:05 - Jul 19 with 1151 viewsReslovenSwan1

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 11:31 - Jul 19 by vetchonian

I would agree with you Jasper, my post was a repsonse to the post re Potter playing attractive football from the start.....but as I have said before that second half fondness was mainly due to the Man City one off game where Celina had a point to prove and Dan James playing virtually every game and getting us out of our seats, though often there was no pretty passing football just a quick long ball for Dan to chase....it became exciting but Swanseola it was not!

Swansalona was all about being patient and creating over loads and space for players like James or Sinclair / Dyer previously. If you can set James free without it it always a winner. Wales under Page simply could not pass accurately enough to set James.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 15:10 - Jul 19 with 1141 viewsvetchonian

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 15:05 - Jul 19 by ReslovenSwan1

Swansalona was all about being patient and creating over loads and space for players like James or Sinclair / Dyer previously. If you can set James free without it it always a winner. Wales under Page simply could not pass accurately enough to set James.

and actually Dyer under Potter too this from the report of the 3-0 beating of Brentford at home in which Dyer bagged two

Swansea keeper Kristoffer Nordfeldt fired the ball long into the path of Dyer and he strolled in behind the visitors' defence before rolling in his second goal of the night.

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 20:13 - Jul 19 with 1028 viewsjack247

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 11:03 - Jul 19 by vetchonian

People look back at Potters time though some very rose tinted spectacles the football was not great and attractive form the off....check out the match reports form the first half of the season....the team was getting booed off as early as October....at least under Cooper it took until December!
A first victory since September lifts Swansea up to eighth in the table while Blackburn, who had won their past two matches, stay seventh a point ahead.

Swansea had won only one of their previous seven games, with manager Graham Potter frequently making several changes to his line-up in an attempt to arrest that slide.

He made a further five alterations for this game, but those failed to inspire the Swans as they meekly allowed Blackburn to control the early exchanges.
This from the Blackburn game at home link to full report pasted below

The visitors kept possession with little or no pressure from the Swans, whose midfield of Kyle Naughton, Matt Grimes and Tom Carroll was particularly ineffective.

Their lack of conviction made for a flat atmosphere inside the Liberty Stadium, much to the delight of their opponents.
From that point Rovers were content to simply hold on to the ball, seldom threatening to add to their lead but seemingly unworried by the prospect of a Swansea revival.

The ease of the visitors' task added to the sense of frustration simmering among the home fans, who booed the Swans' players off at the break.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45871760

In fairness Pottewr changed it at the break and turned the game around but the abilty to bring on the likes of Fer to replace the likes of TOm Carrol and Martin Olsenn shows the "stronger" squad he had at his disposal , how about this quote form our first home game under Potter

Swansea boss Graham Potter said: "If you can't grind out a result you are dead in any league..... this after a 1-0 win at home to Preston

or another quote from a goaless draw at Birmingham

How Birmingham City were not out of sight before half-time will have been a mystery to many at St Andrew's.

In the first half Blues had 14 shots and five on target, while Swansea - who won their first two league games - failed to trouble Birmingham's debutant keeper Lee Camp.

In the opening 45 minutes, Bogle had two great chances, Maghoma had a close-range effort deflected wide and Lukas Jutkiewicz shot wide from 10 yards, while Mulder made a great save from Harlee Dean's header.

While Garry Monk will be encouraged at the chances his side created, Swansea's lack of creativity up front will be a worry for boss Graham Potter.

and from the home game against Bristol City in August 5th game in under Potter
The goalkeeper was one of the few Swansea players to impress, as his outfield colleagues played with a distinct lack of pace and precision.

So I think many look back at Potters reign with very rose timred specs and forget he had a squad which included BOny though the team was struck with many injuries at the seasons start.

Did you reply to the wrong post? I hadn’t mentioned Potter in that one.

On your point, yes, we played much better in the second half of the season. To be fair, we had just gone through the mother of all fire sales and he had to bed the likes of James and Rodon into the team. McBurnie had played a couple of times for us and had been on loan at Barnsley (as a wide forward), but didn’t have a lot of experience. Connor Roberts had only broken into the team towards the end of the previous season.

Rodon came out of the blocks flying, James didn’t, but then had a monster second half of the season. Routledge and Dyer were banned from playing until they waived their extension clauses.

On the flip side, we’d been able to invest heavily into our academy in the PL days, I’m sure any manager would like James, Rodon, Roberts, McBurnie and Cabango waiting in the wings.
Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:13 - Jul 19 with 972 viewsAndyCole

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 20:13 - Jul 19 by jack247

Did you reply to the wrong post? I hadn’t mentioned Potter in that one.

On your point, yes, we played much better in the second half of the season. To be fair, we had just gone through the mother of all fire sales and he had to bed the likes of James and Rodon into the team. McBurnie had played a couple of times for us and had been on loan at Barnsley (as a wide forward), but didn’t have a lot of experience. Connor Roberts had only broken into the team towards the end of the previous season.

Rodon came out of the blocks flying, James didn’t, but then had a monster second half of the season. Routledge and Dyer were banned from playing until they waived their extension clauses.

On the flip side, we’d been able to invest heavily into our academy in the PL days, I’m sure any manager would like James, Rodon, Roberts, McBurnie and Cabango waiting in the wings.

It's a pity many posters don't spend more time focusing on the Now and our future, instead of constantly harking back.

247 is a classic candidate for Catalyst for Change.

To drive that focus on the here, now and next steps......

Most especially with all the imminent change.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:21 - Jul 19 with 952 viewsjack247

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:13 - Jul 19 by AndyCole

It's a pity many posters don't spend more time focusing on the Now and our future, instead of constantly harking back.

247 is a classic candidate for Catalyst for Change.

To drive that focus on the here, now and next steps......

Most especially with all the imminent change.

Tell us about our future Andy….
Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:35 - Jul 19 with 922 viewsAndyCole

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:21 - Jul 19 by jack247

Tell us about our future Andy….

I was being genuine. A nod to your rational thinking, in the main.

It would be fabulous if the fresh new blood on here could propel the luddites into thinking about how we drive forward. For a refreshing change.

Massive changes unfolding......

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:41 - Jul 19 with 911 viewsjack247

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:35 - Jul 19 by AndyCole

I was being genuine. A nod to your rational thinking, in the main.

It would be fabulous if the fresh new blood on here could propel the luddites into thinking about how we drive forward. For a refreshing change.

Massive changes unfolding......

It’s not a knock. This is the most uncertain start to a season since the one after relegation. I’ve got very little idea how it’s going to pan out. Interested in your thoughts.
Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 23:01 - Jul 19 with 887 viewsAndyCole

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 22:41 - Jul 19 by jack247

It’s not a knock. This is the most uncertain start to a season since the one after relegation. I’ve got very little idea how it’s going to pan out. Interested in your thoughts.

You're right. It is mostly uncertain. As per. Which is why I think our proper fans need to empathise. Get with the program, as they say over b'there.

If our proper fans were to put themselves in the shoes of our Owners what do you think they would do ?

Some prompts:
- CEO
- Management Team
- Key Players to retain
- Key players to recruit

It really is down to the likes of you and the new blood to turn the negative discontent into a brighter future. Lead the way, 247.

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 08:21 - Jul 20 with 781 viewsjack247

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 23:01 - Jul 19 by AndyCole

You're right. It is mostly uncertain. As per. Which is why I think our proper fans need to empathise. Get with the program, as they say over b'there.

If our proper fans were to put themselves in the shoes of our Owners what do you think they would do ?

Some prompts:
- CEO
- Management Team
- Key Players to retain
- Key players to recruit

It really is down to the likes of you and the new blood to turn the negative discontent into a brighter future. Lead the way, 247.

Thanks Andy.

As you are clearly one of our most insightful and charismatic posters, I was hoping for a bit more than replying with a question.

I’m happy to admit I have no idea how this season is going to go. Enlighten us, what does our future hold?
Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 10:22 - Jul 20 with 711 viewsonehunglow

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 08:21 - Jul 20 by jack247

Thanks Andy.

As you are clearly one of our most insightful and charismatic posters, I was hoping for a bit more than replying with a question.

I’m happy to admit I have no idea how this season is going to go. Enlighten us, what does our future hold?

I see earthquakes and lighting

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 10:31 - Jul 20 with 695 viewssplJack

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 10:22 - Jul 20 by onehunglow

I see earthquakes and lighting

Don't go out tonight...
Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 10:39 - Jul 20 with 687 viewsonehunglow

Steve Cooper and the clash of opinions. Is it the end ? on 10:31 - Jul 20 by splJack

Don't go out tonight...

What,about the bad moon rising.

...Thanks chum

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024