Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Breaking anti-Semitism news 22:18 - Nov 25 with 19472 viewsDarran

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50552068?intlink_from_url=&link_locatio

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:24 - Dec 1 with 1276 viewsbluey_the_blue

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:17 - Dec 1 by exiledclaseboy

Astor was antisemitic but...

Was the gist of your justification. If it had been Corbyn and not Johnson you’d have been foaming at the mouth.

Not really, it's the context that matters.

Astor was vile scum - although hated communists so not all bad - but being the first female sitting MP was a hell of an achievement which open the doors for women in politics in the UK. Ok, so that led to Abbott so not all good, but...

Commemorating that I don't think people would disagree with. The question then becomes her antisemitism, hatred of blacks etc.

How many people here would throw out their BFG books etc due to Dahl being a virulent antisemite? Nobody? Try pointing that out when he get commemorated, you get shouted down.

There's a massive difference to laying wreaths for murderers, calling Hamas and Hezbollah friends, donating to Holocaust deniers et al.

If Corbyn had gone, my view would have been the same. It's unfortunate Astor was scum; a better choice would've been the first elected female MP but she refused to sit in HoC.

EDIT:

Personally, I'd rather no MP had gone to it whatsoever. Trying to paint it as celebrating antisemitism is overkill.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 9:25]
Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:38 - Dec 1 with 1263 viewsexiledclaseboy

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:24 - Dec 1 by bluey_the_blue

Astor was vile scum - although hated communists so not all bad - but being the first female sitting MP was a hell of an achievement which open the doors for women in politics in the UK. Ok, so that led to Abbott so not all good, but...

Commemorating that I don't think people would disagree with. The question then becomes her antisemitism, hatred of blacks etc.

How many people here would throw out their BFG books etc due to Dahl being a virulent antisemite? Nobody? Try pointing that out when he get commemorated, you get shouted down.

There's a massive difference to laying wreaths for murderers, calling Hamas and Hezbollah friends, donating to Holocaust deniers et al.

If Corbyn had gone, my view would have been the same. It's unfortunate Astor was scum; a better choice would've been the first elected female MP but she refused to sit in HoC.

EDIT:

Personally, I'd rather no MP had gone to it whatsoever. Trying to paint it as celebrating antisemitism is overkill.

That last sentence is beyond belief in its lack of self awareness.

Poll: Tory leader

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:39 - Dec 1 with 1262 viewsBrynmill_Jack

EDIT:

A bit like you saying Corbyn was honouring black September terrorists in Tunis when he was doing nothing of the sort.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:41 - Dec 1 with 1257 viewsbluey_the_blue

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:39 - Dec 1 by Brynmill_Jack

A bit like you saying Corbyn was honouring black September terrorists in Tunis when he was doing nothing of the sort.

Except he did. Corbyn was pictured with the wreath with the people doing the commemoration... His "debunking" has been firmly debunked.
Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:43 - Dec 1 with 1251 viewsexiledclaseboy

EDIT:

A better choice would have been a Sinn Fein representative whose view on jews remain unknown. You really are a massive hypocrite.

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:45 - Dec 1 with 1247 viewsbluey_the_blue

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:43 - Dec 1 by exiledclaseboy

A better choice would have been a Sinn Fein representative whose view on jews remain unknown. You really are a massive hypocrite.

Not really.

Are you saying that the election / sitting of female MPs, breaking down the gender barrier shouldn't be commemorated at all due to the fact the two were scummy people?

EDIT:

Throughout history, people who have achieved historical events have often been scummy people. At what point do you agree we should commemorate an event but not another due to the character of the person?

Astor sitting in parliament should be commemorated due to being a historical event, her abhorent views should also be widely publicised.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 9:47]
Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:46 - Dec 1 with 1243 viewsexiledclaseboy

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:45 - Dec 1 by bluey_the_blue

Not really.

Are you saying that the election / sitting of female MPs, breaking down the gender barrier shouldn't be commemorated at all due to the fact the two were scummy people?

EDIT:

Throughout history, people who have achieved historical events have often been scummy people. At what point do you agree we should commemorate an event but not another due to the character of the person?

Astor sitting in parliament should be commemorated due to being a historical event, her abhorent views should also be widely publicised.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 9:47]

Nope. I’m saying you’re a massive hypocrite.

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:48 - Dec 1 with 1239 viewsbluey_the_blue

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:46 - Dec 1 by exiledclaseboy

Nope. I’m saying you’re a massive hypocrite.

For saying my view on this would've been the same if Corbyn had attended?
Login to get fewer ads

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:49 - Dec 1 with 1238 viewsexiledclaseboy

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:48 - Dec 1 by bluey_the_blue

For saying my view on this would've been the same if Corbyn had attended?

But everyone knows it wouldn’t have been. Including you.

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:54 - Dec 1 with 1225 viewsbluey_the_blue

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:49 - Dec 1 by exiledclaseboy

But everyone knows it wouldn’t have been. Including you.

Wrong.

The status was put up to commemorate the historical achievement, not her character. The historical event wasn't there to glorify or boost antisemitism or racism.
Breaking anti-Semitism news on 10:27 - Dec 1 with 1207 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:41 - Dec 1 by bluey_the_blue

Except he did. Corbyn was pictured with the wreath with the people doing the commemoration... His "debunking" has been firmly debunked.

No he didn’t. More fake news. Your hypocrisy is f*cking astonishing . If Corbyn had attended this unveiling you would have definitely have projected her antisemitism onto him. You’re one of the most one eyed I’ve seen on here and that’s up against some very stiff opposition.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:02 - Dec 1 with 1193 viewsLohengrin

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 09:43 - Dec 1 by exiledclaseboy

Ms Gore-Booth, as was, an Anglican convert to Papism who married into the rigidly Catholic Polish aristocracy of the early twentieth century? I don’t think you’d need the luck of Tyche or Fortuna to have guessed the line she’d have taken, do you?

It avails you nothing really to go back eighty or a hundred years and fine-comb the asides of public figures looking for derogatory comments about Jews, they will all invariably have made them across the spectrum - from Lewis’s line about “Hebrew snouts in the quarter’s statistics” on through to Attlee averring that “I’ve had quite enough of The Chosen, thank you.”

For what it’s worth I think the statue of Astor has been long overdue. It doesn’t really matter what you think of her, her election in 1919 was a radical first that demanded recognition.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 13:42]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:09 - Dec 1 with 1189 viewsNotLoyal

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 08:58 - Dec 1 by exiledclaseboy

Jew haters everywhere mush. Got to root them out, especially if they’re not on your “side” politically. If they are that’s ok. Say nowt then. *taps nose*

LABOUR MP for Smethwick 1924 to 29 would agree wholeheartedly.
Its these bloody political labels that confound people.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 11:10]

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:23 - Dec 1 with 1174 viewsexiledclaseboy

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:09 - Dec 1 by NotLoyal

LABOUR MP for Smethwick 1924 to 29 would agree wholeheartedly.
Its these bloody political labels that confound people.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 11:10]

Yeah the simple minded are easily confounded.

PS - Mosley was MP for Smethwick from 26-31. Sorry to confound you further.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 11:25]

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:26 - Dec 1 with 1171 viewsexiledclaseboy

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:02 - Dec 1 by Lohengrin

Ms Gore-Booth, as was, an Anglican convert to Papism who married into the rigidly Catholic Polish aristocracy of the early twentieth century? I don’t think you’d need the luck of Tyche or Fortuna to have guessed the line she’d have taken, do you?

It avails you nothing really to go back eighty or a hundred years and fine-comb the asides of public figures looking for derogatory comments about Jews, they will all invariably have made them across the spectrum - from Lewis’s line about “Hebrew snouts in the quarter’s statistics” on through to Attlee averring that “I’ve had quite enough of The Chosen, thank you.”

For what it’s worth I think the statue of Astor has been long overdue. It doesn’t really matter what you think of her, her election in 1919 was a radical first that demanded recognition.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 13:42]

I agree with you completely.

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:34 - Dec 1 with 1165 viewsNotLoyal

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:23 - Dec 1 by exiledclaseboy

Point scoring on a labour MP. It's a shame you take every post as an attack.
Well wiki helped you. In response Moseley left the labour party in 1929, unless you count his first two years in the British Union of fascists as a left wing thing, not a lot of difference mind.
Have a knowledgeable Sunday.

OK I've changed it.

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:40 - Dec 1 with 1157 viewsexiledclaseboy

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:34 - Dec 1 by NotLoyal

Point scoring on a labour MP. It's a shame you take every post as an attack.
Well wiki helped you. In response Moseley left the labour party in 1929, unless you count his first two years in the British Union of fascists as a left wing thing, not a lot of difference mind.
Have a knowledgeable Sunday.

He was Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster from 1929 - 1930 in McDonald’s Labour government. Say what you like about wiki but it’s great for checking stuff to make sure you don’t look like an idiot. The BUF was formed in 1932.

Have a learning Sunday.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 11:41]

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:50 - Dec 1 with 1144 viewsHighjack

How did we get by without the internet and Wikipedia in the olden days? If someone was having some sort of argument did one party furiously stomp down to the nearest library?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 12:01 - Dec 1 with 1138 viewsLohengrin

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:23 - Dec 1 by exiledclaseboy

From Strachey’s memoirs:

”Campaigning I went house-to-house with him day-after-day, night-after-night and what we saw was appalling. I well remember him emerging onto a street and turning to me, face luminous with anger, fuming ‘that man was crippled on the Somme and has to return to a hovel and watch his children go hungry? That won’t stand! It’s an outrage!’ before slamming his fist into the wall and stalking off down the road shaking his head. As it turned out subsequently it was the wrong road but I’ve never doubted the personal sincerity of his motives. Those were desperate times.”

Birmingham ‘Backs,’ 1920s

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 12:05 - Dec 1 with 1135 viewsLohengrin

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:50 - Dec 1 by Highjack

How did we get by without the internet and Wikipedia in the olden days? If someone was having some sort of argument did one party furiously stomp down to the nearest library?

You had a responsibility to yourself, if nothing else, to have acquired the requisite knowledge before entering the fray.

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 12:35 - Dec 1 with 1117 viewsNotLoyal

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 11:40 - Dec 1 by exiledclaseboy

He was Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster from 1929 - 1930 in McDonald’s Labour government. Say what you like about wiki but it’s great for checking stuff to make sure you don’t look like an idiot. The BUF was formed in 1932.

Have a learning Sunday.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 11:41]

He formed them in 1930.
Know your history, not your keyboard. Look beyond what a word means and how it fits in to the context of a discussion, which you always turn in to an argument. It's sad.

I'm really not sure why you turn anything you don't like in to an argument of other miniscule nonsense to detract from the fact Moseley was a red, and you don't like it.

Labour and their tiny minded followers are being found out time and time again. The excuses are pathetic.

Have a lovely day...
[Post edited 1 Dec 2019 12:41]

OK I've changed it.

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 12:53 - Dec 1 with 1099 viewsLohengrin

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 12:35 - Dec 1 by NotLoyal

He formed them in 1930.
Know your history, not your keyboard. Look beyond what a word means and how it fits in to the context of a discussion, which you always turn in to an argument. It's sad.

I'm really not sure why you turn anything you don't like in to an argument of other miniscule nonsense to detract from the fact Moseley was a red, and you don't like it.

Labour and their tiny minded followers are being found out time and time again. The excuses are pathetic.

Have a lovely day...

No, mate. In 1930 he was still widely looked upon as Labour’s heir apparent. At Llandudno in October 1930 he received what Brockway described as “the longest and loudest ovation I’ve heard before or since at Conference.”

He formed The New Party, which I believe is what you’re referring to on St. David’s Day, 1931. Reading its programme now, and bearing in mind he took a fair proportion of ILP activists with him, it’s fair to say it was radical-left.

His verdict on Labour as he slammed the door behind was rhetorical and scathing: “what are we to make of a Salvation Army that takes to its heels on the day of judgement?”
[Post edited 2 Dec 2019 17:08]

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 12:56 - Dec 1 with 1091 viewsexiledclaseboy

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 12:35 - Dec 1 by NotLoyal

He formed them in 1930.

Have a lovely day...

Yeah you’re wrong. On all of that. Good effort though. I don’t need to deflect from Mosley’s political affiliations. They’re a matter of historical fact. And you’re the Mrs Malaprop of PS.

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 10:23 - Dec 2 with 993 viewstheloneranger

"Germany to make anti-Semitism a specific hate crime as Jews 'no longer feel safe"'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/29/germany-crack-anti-semitic-hate-crim

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 10:46 - Dec 2 with 979 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Breaking anti-Semitism news on 12:01 - Dec 1 by Lohengrin

From Strachey’s memoirs:

”Campaigning I went house-to-house with him day-after-day, night-after-night and what we saw was appalling. I well remember him emerging onto a street and turning to me, face luminous with anger, fuming ‘that man was crippled on the Somme and has to return to a hovel and watch his children go hungry? That won’t stand! It’s an outrage!’ before slamming his fist into the wall and stalking off down the road shaking his head. As it turned out subsequently it was the wrong road but I’ve never doubted the personal sincerity of his motives. Those were desperate times.”

Birmingham ‘Backs,’ 1920s

The National Trust has preserved a few of the Birmingham ‘Back to Backs’.

Well worth a visit.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024