Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How to fix the FA Cup 23:05 - Jan 28 with 4115 viewsGowerjack

I'm watching MOTD and its a poor show.

I'm old enough to remember when the Cup mean something.

I'd like to think that all real football fans would like the Cup competition to actually matter.

So what needs to happen to make it relevant again?

Champions League place for the winners.
The Final to be the last game of the season.
Semi Finals should be played at club grounds not Wembley.
All drawn games after the 4th round to be decided by replays not penalties.

Easy
[Post edited 28 Jan 2017 23:08]

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

How to fix the FA Cup on 23:15 - Jan 28 with 3635 viewsbuilthjack

Sorted

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

How to fix the FA Cup on 23:16 - Jan 28 with 3630 viewsPozuelosSideys

So do i, but i think times have moved on tbh, and many of us look back with rose-tinted specs. Its lost its appeal mainly due to over-saturation of football - mainly live football - on tv and media outlets, online etc. Its just not glamorous when you get the PL rammed down your throats 24/7/365

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

How to fix the FA Cup on 23:22 - Jan 28 with 3607 viewslifelong

It's all to do with money.
How to fix the FA Cup on 23:34 - Jan 28 with 3581 viewsGowerjack

How to fix the FA Cup on 23:22 - Jan 28 by lifelong

It's all to do with money.

Yep.

But maybe my ideas would generate more money than the way it's done at present?

I mean just imagine if we were to win the Cup and then qualify for the CL?

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

How to fix the FA Cup on 05:41 - Jan 29 with 3456 viewsjack247

FA Cup is not going to get a CL place.

Idealogically it would be brilliant, but in reality it increases the chances of a Swansea or a Southampton getting there at the expense of a Man United or a Liverpool. For fans, that would be great and would restore the magic instantly. In reality though, UEFA don't want it, big clubs don't want it, tv companies don't want it.

It's nowhere near the competition it used to be and sadly, it's not going to get back to that. Money talks.
How to fix the FA Cup on 08:18 - Jan 29 with 3375 viewspencoedjack

How to fix the FA Cup on 05:41 - Jan 29 by jack247

FA Cup is not going to get a CL place.

Idealogically it would be brilliant, but in reality it increases the chances of a Swansea or a Southampton getting there at the expense of a Man United or a Liverpool. For fans, that would be great and would restore the magic instantly. In reality though, UEFA don't want it, big clubs don't want it, tv companies don't want it.

It's nowhere near the competition it used to be and sadly, it's not going to get back to that. Money talks.

Yep the PL would never allow the 4th place to go to the FA cup anyway.
How to fix the FA Cup on 08:39 - Jan 29 with 3347 viewsjojaca

How to fix the FA Cup on 08:18 - Jan 29 by pencoedjack

Yep the PL would never allow the 4th place to go to the FA cup anyway.

Knock replays on the head, if you draw straight to penalties. Teams may field stronger teams if there is no replay.

Even when you know, you never know?

How to fix the FA Cup on 08:54 - Jan 29 with 3305 viewsMrSwerve

How to fix the FA Cup on 08:39 - Jan 29 by jojaca

Knock replays on the head, if you draw straight to penalties. Teams may field stronger teams if there is no replay.

I agree...drawn games to go to pens (after extra time imo). Although it would take away the chance for minnows to earn a replay at a big club or take a big club back to their own turf. That's part of the 'magic' of the fa cup I suppose.

I also think that PL clubs should come in at an earlier stage.

Another thing I can't stand is having the semis in Wembley. Totally devalues the final for me. Semis should be at Villa park, Old Trafford, etc. If they want to have a 'big day out" for the semis, have them at the millennium stadium. I get though that Wembley want to cash in...
[Post edited 29 Jan 2017 9:00]

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Login to get fewer ads

How to fix the FA Cup on 10:45 - Jan 29 with 3185 viewsflavafridge

Also, on finals day

There must be a camera crew and reporter on the team coach from the hotel to Wembley watching the players play cards

BBC must have celebrity fa cup question of sport on the morning of the cup final.

ITV must have fa cup saint and greavsie on as part of the build up.

Final should be made up of one top four premiere league side and one unfancied / team who have no right to be there and would cause a massive giant killing shock (think 70's Sunderland & early 80's West Ham)

Simple, fa cup is now relevant again.
How to fix the FA Cup on 11:01 - Jan 29 with 3153 viewsMurph75

How to fix the FA Cup on 08:39 - Jan 29 by jojaca

If you scrap replays it will lose some of the magic. Take Plymouth for example. Earn a draw at Anfield and take them back to Plymouth which generates a buzz in the city and earns more revenue for a club that needs it.

I agree that the only matches to played at Wembley should be the final. Only the strongest teams should qualify for the champions league which are the top 4 over 38 games in the premier league.

The FA and premier league need to look at the fixtures and work together. Give teams enough time to rest and prepare for cup games.
How to fix the FA Cup on 11:23 - Jan 29 with 3115 viewstylagarwjack

How to fix the FA Cup on 11:01 - Jan 29 by Murph75

If you scrap replays it will lose some of the magic. Take Plymouth for example. Earn a draw at Anfield and take them back to Plymouth which generates a buzz in the city and earns more revenue for a club that needs it.

I agree that the only matches to played at Wembley should be the final. Only the strongest teams should qualify for the champions league which are the top 4 over 38 games in the premier league.

The FA and premier league need to look at the fixtures and work together. Give teams enough time to rest and prepare for cup games.

The fixture phasing is a really important point. Round three, especially, is after the busy xmas period with only a few days preparation usually so a lot of managers won't prioritise it.

If there was a clear week before the 3rd round then that would make a difference. How this is achieved with a weekend and two midweeks lost a number of times a season to internationals, also UEFA's stipulation re playing premier league games on the same nights as their competitions, is the tricky thing.
How to fix the FA Cup on 11:31 - Jan 29 with 3097 viewssomersetsimon

How to fix the FA Cup on 08:54 - Jan 29 by MrSwerve

I agree...drawn games to go to pens (after extra time imo). Although it would take away the chance for minnows to earn a replay at a big club or take a big club back to their own turf. That's part of the 'magic' of the fa cup I suppose.

I also think that PL clubs should come in at an earlier stage.

Another thing I can't stand is having the semis in Wembley. Totally devalues the final for me. Semis should be at Villa park, Old Trafford, etc. If they want to have a 'big day out" for the semis, have them at the millennium stadium. I get though that Wembley want to cash in...
[Post edited 29 Jan 2017 9:00]

I think there was some deal struck when the new Wembley stadium was built so they play as many games as possible there.
How to fix the FA Cup on 11:38 - Jan 29 with 3089 viewsBloodyhills

Part of the FA cup being a huge event for me as a child was that it was one of the few live tv games of the season with all sorts of build up beforehand.

There is almost wall to wall live football on the box now so don't see there is any going back to the unique event that the cup was.

I agree that semifinal s should be played at club grounds and that it should be the last game of the season but although ensuring FA cup winners get a Champions League place would mean the bigger clubs would take it more seriously it wouldn't return us to the glory of winning the FA cup. It would just be a feeder competition for the Champions League.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

How to fix the FA Cup on 11:50 - Jan 29 with 3070 viewsdickythorpe

Over the last 2-3 seasons how is it that there has been seemingly a high number of "shocks" everytime the BBC shows a live game?
How to fix the FA Cup on 11:54 - Jan 29 with 3056 viewsDafyddHuw

Gower -
CL place for the winners - you say that as if it's up to the FA who gets to play in the CL. It's not.
How to fix the FA Cup on 14:15 - Jan 29 with 2971 viewsdickythorpe

Increase the prize money - league survival is all that counts for the 92 clubs
How to fix the FA Cup on 14:22 - Jan 29 with 2952 viewsSgorioFruit

them 4 changes would make all the difference

I just wish we could start taking the cup seriously, maybe now we got a british manager at the helm we might give it a go next season.

look at some of the clubs that were in the final the last few years
palace, hull, wigan, villa, etc

time we went for it I think,
Swans winning the FA cup is an absolute dream to me

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

How to fix the FA Cup on 14:26 - Jan 29 with 2938 viewspencoedjack

How to fix the FA Cup on 11:54 - Jan 29 by DafyddHuw

Gower -
CL place for the winners - you say that as if it's up to the FA who gets to play in the CL. It's not.

I think posters are not grasping this.

The PL do not answer to the FA
How to fix the FA Cup on 14:47 - Jan 29 with 2913 viewsAl_Bundy

Like the way the BBC big up the FA Cup then show complete pointless matches live !

West Ham v Man City reserves

Spurs v Villa

And today's boring Millwall v Watford - another dross match
How to fix the FA Cup on 14:49 - Jan 29 with 2907 viewssherpajacob

Previously I would have been vehemently opposed to all the following, but the cup is on its knees, so needs must.

- Some sort of seeding system, Teams still Europe enter in round 4, it may make teams take Europa league more seriously.

- PL teams must play away (up to round 6) unless 2 PL teams against each other of course. With no replay. Therefore PL club must field stronger team or risk going out.

Special TOTPs to be shown on cup final week featuring both teams songs.

Swans to win FA cup in 2027, beating Arsenal in Final, with Jason Mohammed as the BBC main anchor.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

How to fix the FA Cup on 16:17 - Jan 29 with 2829 viewsClinton

How to fix the FA Cup on 10:45 - Jan 29 by flavafridge

Also, on finals day

There must be a camera crew and reporter on the team coach from the hotel to Wembley watching the players play cards

BBC must have celebrity fa cup question of sport on the morning of the cup final.

ITV must have fa cup saint and greavsie on as part of the build up.

Final should be made up of one top four premiere league side and one unfancied / team who have no right to be there and would cause a massive giant killing shock (think 70's Sunderland & early 80's West Ham)

Simple, fa cup is now relevant again.

There has to be a short feature on each team where one of the cheekier players from each side gives a light-heated rundown of his team mates foibles.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

How to fix the FA Cup on 16:22 - Jan 29 with 2812 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Cheerleaders.

Lots of them.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

How to fix the FA Cup on 16:23 - Jan 29 with 2811 viewsPrivate_Partz

Agree with all that. Would the Champions League supremos allow that though?
It would certainly up the anti as far as making 9 or 10 team changes.
I thought the Southampton manager made a right cock up. They are relatively safe in the league and a cup run would have been something for their supporters. Instead he chucks it because they are playing us on Tuesday.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

How to fix the FA Cup on 16:35 - Jan 29 with 2777 viewsNeath_Jack

No replays when games are drawn, straight to pens, then.......when a Premier League team gets drawn out against a team from any league below, then that team gets to decide whether they want to play home or away.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

How to fix the FA Cup on 16:42 - Jan 29 with 2756 viewsPegojack

They are going to have to rename it as the Non-League Trophy soon, if league managers fail to take it seriously and send out the stiffs. Lincoln City and Sutton through to the last 16, FFS.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024