Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Bible and Christianity nailed 19:32 - Jul 11 with 20971 viewsepaul

Brilliant account

https://twitter.com/antibible_t

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 22:17 - Jul 16 with 1131 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 22:13 - Jul 16 by Cottsy

But its not just seeking guidance in times of trouble is it.

If it was just a case of individuals seeking guidance from their own personal god in whatever form that may take in the privacy of their own home then there wouldn't be a problem.

Its the bullsh!t that goes hand in hand with all of the worlds religions that is the problem.

Just because religion doesn't work, it doesn't mean it didn't have some value. Communism looked good on paper.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 22:20 - Jul 16 with 1127 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 21:36 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

"The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. "
Carl Sagan.

As I have said many times on here. if you have a stupid conception of god then its easy to say it doesn't exist.

By all means, you can term the physical laws that govern the universe as god. I've no problems with that at all!

But you will then have to follow the physical laws within your ideology - as proven by scientific fact. For instance, you would not then claim 'God' created the universe in seven days. You could not claim that 'God' simply put dinosaurs in the ground to confuse humans (ala Creationism). You could not claim that you will go to heaven or hell as there is no evidence to support this completely unfounded destination. You cannot then claim that God speaks to people, as this is clearly something we better understand today and recognise this as schizophrenia.

We would no longer need churches or people to worship natural phenomenon, and instead people will be empowered to find answers themselves. We would no longer have institutions and organisations who are exempt from tax, yet make BILLIONS of pounds in profit each year - the tax received can be better spent on education, healthcare, pensions, helping people in need etc.

So with all things considered, you can call the collective facts a god all you want - as long as it's based on fact I've absolutely no problems with this.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 22:34 - Jul 16 with 1108 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 22:17 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

Just because religion doesn't work, it doesn't mean it didn't have some value. Communism looked good on paper.

What value does religion have?

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 22:40 - Jul 16 with 1104 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 22:34 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

What value does religion have?

Ask the 4 billion people that practice it. You may among them meet a few people who draw great comfort from it. It all depends if you can see value in things that don't affect you. On the evidence thus far I'm not optimistic.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 22:43]
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 22:55 - Jul 16 with 1086 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 22:40 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

Ask the 4 billion people that practice it. You may among them meet a few people who draw great comfort from it. It all depends if you can see value in things that don't affect you. On the evidence thus far I'm not optimistic.

And out of these 4 billion people, have they actually spoken to actual real people to gain comfort? The help you will actually receive from a real person is far more tangible than that of a work of fiction.

But let's look at the flip of the coin - Religion doesn't create great comfort to the people who in Africa who have caught HIV/AIDS as they cannot, under any circumstances for fear of upsetting their god, wear condoms. What about the comfort afforded to gays and lesbians? What about the comfort afforded to underage girls who are married off and spend their lives as slaves as this is what their religious scriptures teaches them? What about the victims and families of wars that have been started in the name of religion? What do you tell the kids who, from an early age, have been dragged into religious sects by their parents? What do you tell the children who have been molested by a figure they have been taught to trust and respect as a messenger of a god they have been indoctrinated to believe in? What do you tell the people who have died whilst praying instead of seeking medical assistance (including children), or even the ones who have been denied blood transfusions?

Fact is, religion is not an answer to anything, that cannot be answered through others. Only through the kindness of others, can you receive actual physical help and the support you can actually see! You do NOT need religion to be kind and respectful of others, nor do you need to love a God in order to love others.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 22:57]

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:00 - Jul 16 with 1079 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 22:55 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

And out of these 4 billion people, have they actually spoken to actual real people to gain comfort? The help you will actually receive from a real person is far more tangible than that of a work of fiction.

But let's look at the flip of the coin - Religion doesn't create great comfort to the people who in Africa who have caught HIV/AIDS as they cannot, under any circumstances for fear of upsetting their god, wear condoms. What about the comfort afforded to gays and lesbians? What about the comfort afforded to underage girls who are married off and spend their lives as slaves as this is what their religious scriptures teaches them? What about the victims and families of wars that have been started in the name of religion? What do you tell the kids who, from an early age, have been dragged into religious sects by their parents? What do you tell the children who have been molested by a figure they have been taught to trust and respect as a messenger of a god they have been indoctrinated to believe in? What do you tell the people who have died whilst praying instead of seeking medical assistance (including children), or even the ones who have been denied blood transfusions?

Fact is, religion is not an answer to anything, that cannot be answered through others. Only through the kindness of others, can you receive actual physical help and the support you can actually see! You do NOT need religion to be kind and respectful of others, nor do you need to love a God in order to love others.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 22:57]

You think you know better than 4 billion people. What the hell is the point of even trying to talk to you. You asked me to show you some value. I did. So you reply with paragraphs of bad things that happen.
Religion cant stop bad things from happening. It can help people get through bad things. If you cant see that its pointless continuing.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:02]
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:06 - Jul 16 with 1069 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:00 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

You think you know better than 4 billion people. What the hell is the point of even trying to talk to you. You asked me to show you some value. I did. So you reply with paragraphs of bad things that happen.
Religion cant stop bad things from happening. It can help people get through bad things. If you cant see that its pointless continuing.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:02]

You claim something, and I mention something back. If you have no answer to provide - then you're making it obvious.

Did I claim I know better than 4 billion people? Afterall, you are the one claiming it's 4 billion people and what they know.

Religion may indeed "appear" to help people. But in the real world, it's real people who help people.

So following a standard religious discussion - "If thou haveth no answers to provideth, then do a runneth or blameth the non-believer" Bullshit 11-24

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:09 - Jul 16 with 1066 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:06 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

You claim something, and I mention something back. If you have no answer to provide - then you're making it obvious.

Did I claim I know better than 4 billion people? Afterall, you are the one claiming it's 4 billion people and what they know.

Religion may indeed "appear" to help people. But in the real world, it's real people who help people.

So following a standard religious discussion - "If thou haveth no answers to provideth, then do a runneth or blameth the non-believer" Bullshit 11-24

The "real people" who help people are usually religious. after all 85% of the world population is religious( its not a claim its a fact), unless you are saying that only athiests help people?
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:11]
Login to get fewer ads

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:12 - Jul 16 with 1056 viewsCottsy

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 22:40 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

I'm sure the members of Heaven's Gate gained great comfort practicing their beliefs too but I think anyone would struggle find any value in what they did.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:14 - Jul 16 with 1054 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:12 - Jul 16 by Cottsy

I'm sure the members of Heaven's Gate gained great comfort practicing their beliefs too but I think anyone would struggle find any value in what they did.

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:19 - Jul 16 with 1043 viewsDrizzle

Oxfam was started by a group of Quakers, Christian Aid is another group of selfish charlatans who spend their days hypoctritically trying to .. errrr save lives all over the world. The cnts.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:21 - Jul 16 with 1036 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:09 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

The "real people" who help people are usually religious. after all 85% of the world population is religious( its not a claim its a fact), unless you are saying that only athiests help people?
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:11]

Not wanting to sound pretentious here - but your logic is flawed.

You see, I've seen this report. It's a cross section taken from census of 2,300 people and registers (including christenings).

Not really a detailed report to class it as a fact now is it?! Consider this as an example, if a child is christened by religious parents, and later in life becomes an atheist, does that christening stay with them for life? Afterall, it wasn't their choice.

Here’s the breakdown of “The Global Religious Landscape,” based on an analysis of more than 2,500 censuses, surveys and population registers:
- 2.2 billion Christians (32 percent of the world’s population).
- 1.6 billion Muslims (23 percent).
- 1 billion Hindus (15 percent.
- 500 million Buddhists (7 percent).
- 400 million people (6 percent) practicing various folk or traditional religions, including African traditional religions, Chinese folk religions, American Indian religions and Australian aboriginal religions.

Source: Washington Post
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/dec/23/84-percent-world-pop

If I was to do a study over peoples favourite ice-cream and questioned 2,300 people, and discovered the favourite was vanilla, would this remain the same their whole lives (considering other 'better' or more varied flavours may sway their decision?).

It's impossible to question 7 billion people on their preferences, especially religion. So the study is based on historical records and only on cross sections. It's not, shall we say, FACT.

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:22 - Jul 16 with 1034 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:21 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

Not wanting to sound pretentious here - but your logic is flawed.

You see, I've seen this report. It's a cross section taken from census of 2,300 people and registers (including christenings).

Not really a detailed report to class it as a fact now is it?! Consider this as an example, if a child is christened by religious parents, and later in life becomes an atheist, does that christening stay with them for life? Afterall, it wasn't their choice.

Here’s the breakdown of “The Global Religious Landscape,” based on an analysis of more than 2,500 censuses, surveys and population registers:
- 2.2 billion Christians (32 percent of the world’s population).
- 1.6 billion Muslims (23 percent).
- 1 billion Hindus (15 percent.
- 500 million Buddhists (7 percent).
- 400 million people (6 percent) practicing various folk or traditional religions, including African traditional religions, Chinese folk religions, American Indian religions and Australian aboriginal religions.

Source: Washington Post
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/dec/23/84-percent-world-pop

If I was to do a study over peoples favourite ice-cream and questioned 2,300 people, and discovered the favourite was vanilla, would this remain the same their whole lives (considering other 'better' or more varied flavours may sway their decision?).

It's impossible to question 7 billion people on their preferences, especially religion. So the study is based on historical records and only on cross sections. It's not, shall we say, FACT.

So you are now arguing about my maths instead. Ok.( LOL i just realised you proved that there are more religious people on the planet than I had even estimated . Good one.)
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:25]
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:26 - Jul 16 with 1024 viewsLeonisGod

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 21:26 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

Do 85% of the worlds population realise they are being misled?

I don't know, you'd better ask them. 100% of the world's population used to think the world was flat (some still do), it doesn't mean their belief was based on the truth just because they were in the majority.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:27 - Jul 16 with 1023 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:22 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

So you are now arguing about my maths instead. Ok.( LOL i just realised you proved that there are more religious people on the planet than I had even estimated . Good one.)
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:25]

Your maths? Sorry, I thought you were talking about the recent "studies" that provided the exact same percentage you quoted in your earlier post.

So now we're setted that, how have you come to your figures then?

[intrigued]

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:28 - Jul 16 with 1022 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:26 - Jul 16 by LeonisGod

I don't know, you'd better ask them. 100% of the world's population used to think the world was flat (some still do), it doesn't mean their belief was based on the truth just because they were in the majority.

Thing is I don't care. If people want to believe, good luck to them.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:29 - Jul 16 with 1019 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:27 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

Your maths? Sorry, I thought you were talking about the recent "studies" that provided the exact same percentage you quoted in your earlier post.

So now we're setted that, how have you come to your figures then?

[intrigued]

OK how are you going to prove my estimate wrong?[Even more intrigued]
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:30]
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:30 - Jul 16 with 1018 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:19 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

Oxfam was started by a group of Quakers, Christian Aid is another group of selfish charlatans who spend their days hypoctritically trying to .. errrr save lives all over the world. The cnts.

Your argument is irrelevant
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:31]

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:31 - Jul 16 with 1015 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:30 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

Your argument is irrelevant
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:31]

Not to the argument that religion adds no value to world it isnt.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:32 - Jul 16 with 1009 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:31 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

Not to the argument that religion adds no value to world it isnt.

Oh, the argument you haven't successfully countered yet with an adequate response, other than to quote a flawed study?

I should ask you again then, what benefits are there for religion?
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:34]

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:34 - Jul 16 with 1003 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:32 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

Oh, the argument you haven't successfully countered yet with an adequate response, other than to quote a flawed study?

I should ask you again then, what benefits are there for religion?
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:34]

What are you talking about? Religion brings comfort to many lives. That is a good thing. That is my argument.
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:37 - Jul 16 with 996 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:34 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

What are you talking about? Religion brings comfort to many lives. That is a good thing. That is my argument.

You may want to re-read a few posts back when I explained the reasons why it doesn't, and when you told me to ask 4 billion people whether they are all the better for religion.

Answer this - is the comfort from god in someway better then the comfort of another person?

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:40 - Jul 16 with 992 viewsJackoBoostardo

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:29 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

OK how are you going to prove my estimate wrong?[Even more intrigued]
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:30]

Well in order to prove YOUR estimate wrong, you should really explain how you came to such a figure.

I've already explained how I obtained the details providing the same answer, and how this is NOT a FACT (despite your claim)..... but you are the one claiming I was questioning YOUR maths afterall.

(and just for the record - and estimate is not a fact)
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:42]

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:42 - Jul 16 with 989 viewsDrizzle

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:37 - Jul 16 by JackoBoostardo

You may want to re-read a few posts back when I explained the reasons why it doesn't, and when you told me to ask 4 billion people whether they are all the better for religion.

Answer this - is the comfort from god in someway better then the comfort of another person?

I know lots of people whop get comfort from their faith. You are not in a position to tell them they are wrong. Why are you asking me why billions of people have faith? Maybe they got mistreated by the people who were supposed to comfort them, I dont know. Unlike you I would never try and speak for even one other person, let alone every religious person on the planet.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2014 23:43]
The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:43 - Jul 16 with 985 viewsCottsy

The Bible and Christianity nailed on 23:34 - Jul 16 by Drizzle

It also brings a lot of suffering to many lives as well whether that's through sectarian violence, the subjugation of women, refusing children blood transfusions, the institutional rape of children, children killed because they are 'witches', female genital mutilation, honor killings, global terrorism etc. etc.

That's not to mention the unaccountable power held by a small number of religious leaders, the intellectual illiteracy promoted by many religious institutions and so on and so forth

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024