Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Religion. Is it time? 09:55 - Oct 11 with 2895 viewsonehunglow

For a debate

Not sure if it’s appropriate as I don’t want any discussion to reflect badly for the sad.
It’s a contentious subject alright .
I will start off .
Why do people believe what they do and eshew the teachings of others
Ergo,why believe Baptist theology but not Mormon
Why JH and not Methodist
What is it exactly that binds

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Religion. Is it time? on 13:57 - Oct 11 with 1814 viewsonehunglow

Come on you sinners!

Religion. Is it time? on 13:58 - Oct 11 with 1814 viewsunion_jack

Fear! They’re all the same, some far more extreme than others but with the same fundamental objective, control.

Also, the human mind can’t really explain what we are, where we are, how we function. It’s natural to have an explanation and religion or a good, deity etc. fulfills that curiosity.

Me? I don’t believe in any of it. That’s not to say I don’t look around me daily and ask the questions why? And how?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Religion. Is it time? on 14:09 - Oct 11 with 1805 viewsonehunglow

Religion. Is it time? on 13:58 - Oct 11 by union_jack

Fear! They’re all the same, some far more extreme than others but with the same fundamental objective, control.

Also, the human mind can’t really explain what we are, where we are, how we function. It’s natural to have an explanation and religion or a good, deity etc. fulfills that curiosity.

Me? I don’t believe in any of it. That’s not to say I don’t look around me daily and ask the questions why? And how?

I wonder about the specifics
Why would people believe golden tablets found on a NY state mountainside were translated by a fella called Joseph Smith .
This the “ word of God”
It’s fundamental to our existence .
Religion or not

Religion. Is it time? on 15:12 - Oct 11 with 1778 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Religion. Is it time? on 13:58 - Oct 11 by union_jack

We don’t have any “good” deities though. I think that’s a fundamental problem. When you have a God that deliberately floods the earth to wipe out all of humanity except for one family, sends plagues of locusts or a curse causing the death of all first born children, turns people into pillars of salt, strikes people down in his anger and his wrath and his rage what the hell do we need Satan for?

God in the Old Testament is such a bloody drama queen, he’s a diva who turns immediately to extreme violence and genocide at the slightest perceived wrong.

Why the hell would anybody follow this maniac?

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Religion. Is it time? on 15:37 - Oct 11 with 1756 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Religion. Is it time? on 14:09 - Oct 11 by onehunglow

I wonder about the specifics
Why would people believe golden tablets found on a NY state mountainside were translated by a fella called Joseph Smith .
This the “ word of God”
It’s fundamental to our existence .
Religion or not

The Mormon religion is not any more strange than the others. Jesus disappeared for 18 years, why couldn’t he build a massive boat and sail to America? He was a carpenter after all. The garden of Eden could have been in Jackson county Missouri for all we know, and it could be true that God changed his mind about black people in 1978. Who are we to question these facts?

Religion. Is it time? on 15:55 - Oct 11 with 1746 viewsSullutaCreturned

Religion. Is it time? on 15:12 - Oct 11 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

We don’t have any “good” deities though. I think that’s a fundamental problem. When you have a God that deliberately floods the earth to wipe out all of humanity except for one family, sends plagues of locusts or a curse causing the death of all first born children, turns people into pillars of salt, strikes people down in his anger and his wrath and his rage what the hell do we need Satan for?

God in the Old Testament is such a bloody drama queen, he’s a diva who turns immediately to extreme violence and genocide at the slightest perceived wrong.

Why the hell would anybody follow this maniac?

All of that AND....we're supposed to believe that god is kind and benevolent yet look at the world today, all the suffering. The poor made to suffer yet the rich and greedy get greedier and richer. That's not how god say it is, isn't it easier for a man to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven?

In which case why has the Vatican got so much wealth? Why is the Pope wrapped in so much funery and living a life of luxury?

Absolutely none of it makes any sense especially not the "God moves in mysterious ways" nonsense that is trotted out at yet another hardship, it's not mysterious, it's downright cruel.

OHL to answer your question, I think famiky has a lot to do with it, definitely so for Islam and Judaism. I was forced to go to Sunday school, not because my mother was a staunch churchgoer, she just wanted me out of the way for a few hours. I saw so much hypocrisy, heard so many lies and saw so many people go to church and why, because they weren't good people, from what I knew of many of them. it was advertising in my opinion, false advertising at that, look at me going to church because I am good...NO you're flipping not.

Another viewpoint, what if the devil is really te good guy? OR, what if planet Earth is actually PURGATORY? What if we are all here expiating our sins?
Religion. Is it time? on 16:02 - Oct 11 with 1723 viewsonehunglow

Religion. Is it time? on 15:37 - Oct 11 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

The Mormon religion is not any more strange than the others. Jesus disappeared for 18 years, why couldn’t he build a massive boat and sail to America? He was a carpenter after all. The garden of Eden could have been in Jackson county Missouri for all we know, and it could be true that God changed his mind about black people in 1978. Who are we to question these facts?

Great stuff
.niw what about Jehovahs Nutcases

Keep it going chaps
Epic stuff

Religion. Is it time? on 16:34 - Oct 11 with 1642 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Religion. Is it time? on 15:55 - Oct 11 by SullutaCreturned

All of that AND....we're supposed to believe that god is kind and benevolent yet look at the world today, all the suffering. The poor made to suffer yet the rich and greedy get greedier and richer. That's not how god say it is, isn't it easier for a man to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven?

In which case why has the Vatican got so much wealth? Why is the Pope wrapped in so much funery and living a life of luxury?

Absolutely none of it makes any sense especially not the "God moves in mysterious ways" nonsense that is trotted out at yet another hardship, it's not mysterious, it's downright cruel.

OHL to answer your question, I think famiky has a lot to do with it, definitely so for Islam and Judaism. I was forced to go to Sunday school, not because my mother was a staunch churchgoer, she just wanted me out of the way for a few hours. I saw so much hypocrisy, heard so many lies and saw so many people go to church and why, because they weren't good people, from what I knew of many of them. it was advertising in my opinion, false advertising at that, look at me going to church because I am good...NO you're flipping not.

Another viewpoint, what if the devil is really te good guy? OR, what if planet Earth is actually PURGATORY? What if we are all here expiating our sins?

“As for antichrist occupying the papal chair, it is evident that a pope living contrary to Christ, like any other perverted person, is called, by common consent, antichrist.”

Words spoken over six centuries ago by master of Charles university in Prague Jan Hus who was burned at the stake shortly after, yet today in the 21st century the church continues to be filled to the rafters with perverts and criminals living lives that Christ himself would have found absolutely abhorrent. “My house shall be a house of prayer, but you are making it a den of thieves.”

Login to get fewer ads

Religion. Is it time? on 16:50 - Oct 11 with 1612 viewsunion_jack

Religion. Is it time? on 15:55 - Oct 11 by SullutaCreturned

There were none more evil than convent school nuns as my grandmother experienced first hand.

We can’t start with the assumption that God exist therefore he is cruel with all the bad things going on around us at anytime. We should assume natural disasters happen and also people are plain evil but will use the fictional ‘God’ as a reason for it.

“God has told me that you must be punished” is an excuse for “I get a great kick out of beating you but can use this God to justify my actions”.

Just my opinion of course.

Religion. Is it time? on 16:53 - Oct 11 with 1594 viewsunion_jack

Religion. Is it time? on 15:37 - Oct 11 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

I used to stay with a family close to Jackson County Missouri. There was a lake there called Lake Jacomo (typical American nomenclature) where I had a very interesting evening far too long ago😉

Religion. Is it time? on 18:09 - Oct 11 with 1546 viewsonehunglow

Religion. Is it time? on 16:50 - Oct 11 by union_jack

There were none more evil than convent school nuns as my grandmother experienced first hand.

We can’t start with the assumption that God exist therefore he is cruel with all the bad things going on around us at anytime. We should assume natural disasters happen and also people are plain evil but will use the fictional ‘God’ as a reason for it.

“God has told me that you must be punished” is an excuse for “I get a great kick out of beating you but can use this God to justify my actions”.

Nuns were evil and cruel
Priests simply pederasts
Celibacy is not a natural state of mine

Religion. Is it time? on 19:51 - Oct 11 with 1495 viewsSullutaCreturned

Religion. Is it time? on 16:50 - Oct 11 by union_jack

I have Irish family, from Cork. One of them got oregnant at 16 outside marriage. She was taken to a convent where the baby was taken from her and she spent the next 40 years plusthere, only coming out several years ago.

Besides losing the baby (who she never saw again) she doesn't even know if it's a boy or girl and then, as with many others, she was very harshly treated for decades, beaten regularly when still very young. She carries mental and physical scars. She lives in Boston now.

I can understand people 1000 years ago believing because they were ignorant, uneducated and kept that way so they were easy to manipulate. The ruling classes and the religious leaders wanted it that way. Whatbexcuse does modern humanity have for being so dumb?
Religion. Is it time? on 20:05 - Oct 11 with 1471 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Religion. Is it time? on 18:09 - Oct 11 by onehunglow

Nuns were evil and cruel
Priests simply pederasts
Celibacy is not a natural state of mine

Again none of the holy books insist on a life of celibacy. The reason the church insisted on it was purely for financial reasons. If a priest got married and/or had sons then in the event of his death she/they would have a claim on property as a dower or inheritance. If the priest was single then all his worldly possessions would stay within the church.

It’s likely Jesus himself was a top shagger. There’s a reason Mary Magdalene is mentioned in the gospels more than any of the apostles.

Religion. Is it time? on 20:10 - Oct 11 with 1454 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Religion. Is it time? on 16:53 - Oct 11 by union_jack

I used to stay with a family close to Jackson County Missouri. There was a lake there called Lake Jacomo (typical American nomenclature) where I had a very interesting evening far too long ago😉

In my experience Mormon folks more than an y other I’ve met are incredibly lovely, outgoing, happy and generally comfortable in their skin.

Pembrey country park is hardly lake Jacamo or the garden of Eden but I experienced paradise there with a young Mormon girl many years ago.

Religion. Is it time? on 20:10 - Oct 11 with 1452 viewsonehunglow

Religion. Is it time? on 20:05 - Oct 11 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Again none of the holy books insist on a life of celibacy. The reason the church insisted on it was purely for financial reasons. If a priest got married and/or had sons then in the event of his death she/they would have a claim on property as a dower or inheritance. If the priest was single then all his worldly possessions would stay within the church.

It’s likely Jesus himself was a top shagger. There’s a reason Mary Magdalene is mentioned in the gospels more than any of the apostles.

I didn’t say it did but it nevertheless leads to some dedicating themselves to Jesus God which means that taking priority over their lives
That is fanaticism
Cat’s tale is horrific

Religion. Is it time? on 20:14 - Oct 11 with 1443 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Religion. Is it time? on 20:10 - Oct 11 by onehunglow

I didn’t say it did but it nevertheless leads to some dedicating themselves to Jesus God which means that taking priority over their lives
That is fanaticism
Cat’s tale is horrific

It’s another contradiction that some Christian nut jobs insist on abstinence from alcohol when Christs blood is literally around 15% proof and one of his miracles involved creating a giant piss up amongst five hundred people by turning water into wine.

Edit: I meant five thousand. An even bigger piss up 🍺
[Post edited 11 Oct 20:28]

Religion. Is it time? on 20:24 - Oct 11 with 1437 viewsonehunglow

Religion. Is it time? on 20:14 - Oct 11 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

It’s another contradiction that some Christian nut jobs insist on abstinence from alcohol when Christs blood is literally around 15% proof and one of his miracles involved creating a giant piss up amongst five hundred people by turning water into wine.

Edit: I meant five thousand. An even bigger piss up 🍺
[Post edited 11 Oct 20:28]

True
I well remember Welsh non conformism and all that sailed in here

Religion. Is it time? on 07:53 - Oct 12 with 1234 viewssons_of_omri

Religion. Is it time? on 16:34 - Oct 11 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

“As for antichrist occupying the papal chair, it is evident that a pope living contrary to Christ, like any other perverted person, is called, by common consent, antichrist.”

Words spoken over six centuries ago by master of Charles university in Prague Jan Hus who was burned at the stake shortly after, yet today in the 21st century the church continues to be filled to the rafters with perverts and criminals living lives that Christ himself would have found absolutely abhorrent. “My house shall be a house of prayer, but you are making it a den of thieves.”

So there is a good deity then
Religion. Is it time? on 08:16 - Oct 12 with 1222 viewssons_of_omri

Religion. Is it time? on 19:51 - Oct 11 by SullutaCreturned

I have Irish family, from Cork. One of them got oregnant at 16 outside marriage. She was taken to a convent where the baby was taken from her and she spent the next 40 years plusthere, only coming out several years ago.

Besides losing the baby (who she never saw again) she doesn't even know if it's a boy or girl and then, as with many others, she was very harshly treated for decades, beaten regularly when still very young. She carries mental and physical scars. She lives in Boston now.

I can understand people 1000 years ago believing because they were ignorant, uneducated and kept that way so they were easy to manipulate. The ruling classes and the religious leaders wanted it that way. Whatbexcuse does modern humanity have for being so dumb?

So , in your opinion there are no people who go to church who aren’t hypocrites and have no spirituality then?

Roman Catholicism got it BADLY wrong - Priests in the Orthodox Church can be either married or Monks, Romes decision to unilaterally impose chastity on anyone with a spiritual leaning has led to this horrible culture within the Catholic Church which your poor relative was a victim of. Not the only “innovation” of Theology Rome unilaterally declared - some were far more damaging.

Christian Theology is based on the world being in a sinful fallen state. Those nuns in the Magdalen houses mistreated people because they were judging them which they had NO right to do. While the world is in a fallen state the church’s duty is to help the fallen get up again and guide them in the right direction - with LOVE , understanding and FORGIVENESS.Rome took a vastly different direction the the Eastern Churches whom it separated itself from and whilst the Easten Churches are spiritually vibrant the Roman Church has this darkness surrounding it.

OHL seems to be a victim of the Protestant condition - which is truly the Roman Catholic condition - a system of self hatred and perpetual hopelessness. That’s what bad theology does for people.

Some of the other alternative “religions” that suffer being outside of the true church (and also offshoots of Roman Catholicism :-

Moonies
Jehovahs Witnessess (Arianism modern day)
The Mormons (offshoot of JW created by Witness and avid high level Freemason Joseph Smith

Pre Roman Schism Christian heresy sects
Islam (first Ummayid Caliph was Christian - all after Arian who termed their religion latterly as Islam).
Religion. Is it time? on 09:26 - Oct 12 with 1199 viewsSullutaCreturned

Religion. Is it time? on 08:16 - Oct 12 by sons_of_omri

So , in your opinion there are no people who go to church who aren’t hypocrites and have no spirituality then?

Roman Catholicism got it BADLY wrong - Priests in the Orthodox Church can be either married or Monks, Romes decision to unilaterally impose chastity on anyone with a spiritual leaning has led to this horrible culture within the Catholic Church which your poor relative was a victim of. Not the only “innovation” of Theology Rome unilaterally declared - some were far more damaging.

Christian Theology is based on the world being in a sinful fallen state. Those nuns in the Magdalen houses mistreated people because they were judging them which they had NO right to do. While the world is in a fallen state the church’s duty is to help the fallen get up again and guide them in the right direction - with LOVE , understanding and FORGIVENESS.Rome took a vastly different direction the the Eastern Churches whom it separated itself from and whilst the Easten Churches are spiritually vibrant the Roman Church has this darkness surrounding it.

OHL seems to be a victim of the Protestant condition - which is truly the Roman Catholic condition - a system of self hatred and perpetual hopelessness. That’s what bad theology does for people.

Some of the other alternative “religions” that suffer being outside of the true church (and also offshoots of Roman Catholicism :-

Moonies
The Mormons (offshoot of JW created by Witness and avid high level Freemason Joseph Smith

Islam (first Ummayid Caliph was Christian - all after Arian who termed their religion latterly as Islam).

No, my gran was a chapel going saint, a more lovely woman you'd never hooe to meet. Despite her generation she was very fair minded, not a racist bone in her and she treated everybody as she'd like to be treated herslef, even when they didn't deserve it. Most of the church goers I have known tho, have been hypocrites.

The "true church" eh, which one do you believe that is? Christianity didn't even exist until the 1st century CE. Judaism is the oldet monotheistic faith and of the Abrahamic faiths is th one with the claim to be "true"

Christianity is an invention, where was it whenShangdi and Itzamna, Nun and Shiva or Anu were being worshipped? And on the first day "God" didn't even exist in the minds of men, or women and not until thousands of years later did Christianity appear.

It's nonsense. Odin and Thor have as much legitimacy as the Christian God.
Religion. Is it time? on 10:31 - Oct 12 with 1158 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Religion. Is it time? on 07:53 - Oct 12 by sons_of_omri

So there is a good deity then

Christ was just a man.

Religion. Is it time? on 12:15 - Oct 12 with 1113 viewsonehunglow

Moonies

Some suppositions there butty Bach
Not all church goers ,but the majority .
My opinion

Religion. Is it time? on 18:00 - Oct 12 with 1052 viewsonehunglow

Come on,it’s on.Just about to kick off .
Great atmosphere
Don’t watch Strictly mun

Religion. Is it time? on 23:14 - Oct 12 with 982 viewsReslovenSwan1

I worked in Turkiye for some years and my translator told me he was a big Muslim and it was better than Christianity.

I asked him what were a basic principles of the Muslim faith and he as a relatively well educated fellow but could not define it. He believes in the name but not the principles. He may as well prayed to Fenerbahce football club.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Religion. Is it time? on 23:53 - Oct 12 with 945 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Moonies

They should all get together and work through their differences but that would be an ecumenical matter.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024