Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone still want VAR in the championship 23:13 - Sep 3 with 11420 viewsloftboy

Absolutely shocking decision at Chelscum today.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:29 - Sep 5 with 1572 viewsPinnerPaul

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:18 - Sep 5 by Northernr

I was pleased Michael Oliver got called over to the screen and told it to piss off at the weekend. More like that please.

IF we have to have it, use it like a real AR.

Ref makes all decisions, unless he decides he needs some help - unsighted, unsure, 50/50 call, then he and he alone looks at it again - that's how it works in Hockey.

Without VAR, the real life alternative is that he will ask the best placed AR for an opinion - that's what happens now.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:44 - Sep 5 with 1541 viewsJuzzie

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:02 - Sep 5 by PinnerPaul

Deep breath, I think with VAR or humans, football is chasing an impossible dream - no 'mistakes'.

Why? Because often there are no absolute 'right' or 'wrongs' - on here and even more so on 'RefChat' decisions are debated with 100% of posters absolutely convinced of the 'right' decision where often 50% disagree with them.

Very recently in the Watford game we had differing views o here on the two Watford goals - handball? Foul on Dickie? Neither incident made clearerer by looking at over and over, so how does VAR 'help' in that situation, answer, it doesn't.

Its just another opinion and as we've seen this weekend another opinion we can argue over.

its NOT going to 'improve refereeing' its NOT going to 'correct' poor decisions.

Look at the penalty Michael Oliver gave, he thought yes, VAR (Just another referee folks!) said no and well played Mr O, for the FIRST time this season, he looked at it and said yes, it IS a pen. What has VAR brought to the party there? Nothing.

The point being in that case its a judgement call so just go with the on field judgement.

Offside - one yesterday took 4 1/2 minutes to sort out and we're back to a fuzzy image of a foot kicking the ball at one end to 2mm decisions at the other.

There will be 'wrong' decisions without VAR there are 'wrong' decisions with VAR, tell me what's the point?

You know wha t- sport isn't 'fair' - the net cord that creates the perfect drop shot, the hores brought down by another, the golf ball hitting a spectator and being unplayable etc etc etc.

Lyndon Dykes miss? 'Wrong' referee decisions - how do we propose to 'eradicate' human error - its NOT happening!

Rant over!

Agree, so why was it introduced when attaining 100% correctness is never going to be achievable? It's just a continuation of the same problem.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:47 - Sep 5 with 1529 viewsquickpassrotter

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 23:41 - Sep 3 by qpr_1968

if var cant get decisions right, whats the point of it.
always said, and that is initially what i thought they were only going to use it for, is if the ball crosses the goal line.

dont need it for anything else.

.....and then they can't get that right. Goal Line Technology. Poor old Huddersfield. Genuine goal with the ball clearly crossing the line versus Blackpool - - but the technology went astray when the ball entered the Blackpool penalty area apparently (What ??). Referee said that he and his assistants were unsighted and the ''watch buzzer'' did not go off -so no goal. Afterwards everybody acknowledged that it was a goal. The EFL stated that the result will stand.
Not a great weekend fr officials across the EPL ad EFL, and their ''assistants'' in video rooms wherever.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:49 - Sep 5 with 1513 viewsdaveB

Deep breath, I think with VAR or humans, football is chasing an impossible dream - no 'mistakes'.

Why? Because often there are no absolute 'right' or 'wrongs' - on here and even more so on 'RefChat' decisions are debated with 100% of posters absolutely convinced of the 'right' decision where often 50% disagree with them.

Very recently in the Watford game we had differing views o here on the two Watford goals - handball? Foul on Dickie? Neither incident made clearerer by looking at over and over, so how does VAR 'help' in that situation, answer, it doesn't.

Its just another opinion and as we've seen this weekend another opinion we can argue over.

its NOT going to 'improve refereeing' its NOT going to 'correct' poor decisions.

Look at the penalty Michael Oliver gave, he thought yes, VAR (Just another referee folks!) said no and well played Mr O, for the FIRST time this season, he looked at it and said yes, it IS a pen. What has VAR brought to the party there? Nothing.

The point being in that case its a judgement call so just go with the on field judgement.

Offside - one yesterday took 4 1/2 minutes to sort out and we're back to a fuzzy image of a foot kicking the ball at one end to 2mm decisions at the other.

There will be 'wrong' decisions without VAR there are 'wrong' decisions with VAR, tell me what's the point?

You know wha t- sport isn't 'fair' - the net cord that creates the perfect drop shot, the hores brought down by another, the golf ball hitting a spectator and being unplayable etc etc etc.

Lyndon Dykes miss? 'Wrong' referee decisions - how do we propose to 'eradicate' human error - its NOT happening!

Rant over!

These subjective calls should not be going to VAR imo, that Man Utd one yesterday it's not a clear and obvious error, VAR should not be getting invovled.

If the ref gives the foul then fine, as he didn't play on, the Arsenal player still had a lot to do to score.

They should have time limits on it, no more than 60 seconds, to spend 4 minutes drawing lines to see if someones armpit is off side is a farce. They are going out of their way to find issues. Been in place 3/4 years now ands its getting worse every season
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:56 - Sep 5 with 1498 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:49 - Sep 5 by daveB

These subjective calls should not be going to VAR imo, that Man Utd one yesterday it's not a clear and obvious error, VAR should not be getting invovled.

If the ref gives the foul then fine, as he didn't play on, the Arsenal player still had a lot to do to score.

They should have time limits on it, no more than 60 seconds, to spend 4 minutes drawing lines to see if someones armpit is off side is a farce. They are going out of their way to find issues. Been in place 3/4 years now ands its getting worse every season

Great post daveB and you hit that important point .Anytime a foul takes place miles away from goal ( like the Arsenal one ) and a long passage of play develops ending in a goal it should stand IMO.Unless its directly involved like in the penalty area when the defenders or keeper have no chance then chalk it off .
If the ref thinks a tackle in midfield is legal then so be it ,dont call it all back and disallow the goal .
Everybody agrees West ham, Arsenal , Brighton ( did not effect the outcome )and QPR got screwed by the Ref or VAR Saturday which cost them all points so that is very wrong
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:02 - Sep 5 with 1486 viewsPinnerPaul

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:44 - Sep 5 by Juzzie

Agree, so why was it introduced when attaining 100% correctness is never going to be achievable? It's just a continuation of the same problem.

Well, as others have alluded to above, the clubs wanted it, in the mistaken belief it would correct all refereeing 'errors'
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:04 - Sep 5 with 1474 viewsPinnerPaul

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:49 - Sep 5 by daveB

Agree Dave!
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:06 - Sep 5 with 1468 viewsstowmarketrange

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 20:47 - Sep 4 by denhamhoop2

Could go with Crickets way of dealing with the not quite sure decisions that what the official on the field called unless there is indisputable evidence they are wrong

The difference with cricket though is that the 3rd umpire doesn’t get involved unless somebody appeals.With football they get involved whether they’re needed or not.
With the video evidence available there is no excuse for getting a decision so badly wrong as some of them were this weekend.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:27 - Sep 5 with 1438 viewsSnipper

I personally think that teams should get one review per half. You keep the review for that half if it’s a successful appeal.

If you lose your appeal, tough shìt.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:32 - Sep 5 with 1432 viewsHAYESBOY

I would be ok with a system that kept the goal line and checking offside for goals. Then just have an appeal system for pens, one each half.

The problem still is human error. Not VAR itself. I would also like to see ex-players/Managers on the video replays.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 00:57 - Sep 6 with 1326 viewsMiss_Terraces

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:32 - Sep 5 by HAYESBOY

I would be ok with a system that kept the goal line and checking offside for goals. Then just have an appeal system for pens, one each half.

The problem still is human error. Not VAR itself. I would also like to see ex-players/Managers on the video replays.

I'm sorry but waiting for 3 minutes to celebrate a goal, that's wrong wether it's a goal or not. I need that release that only sex and Football can provide and I can't wait 3 minutes after the optimum moment to celebrate.

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 14:21 - Sep 6 with 1239 viewsPinnerPaul

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:32 - Sep 5 by HAYESBOY

Oh dear not the ex players shout.

That was mentioned on MOTD

1) Danny Murphy said one of the offsides was offside anyway "because the ball went backwards" - what???!!!!

2) Shearer called Michael Salisbury an inexperienced referee, because he had done 6 PL games. How many matches do you think he has refereed Alan, he hasn't come from Mars, my guess would be about 1,000.

3) Players don't kn ow the laws at any level - you see professionals appealing for offside as soon as an attacker moves beyond them, no player understands, the very simple, no contested drop ball, and managers often talk absolute gibberish regarding laws in post match interviews.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 15:05 - Sep 6 with 1189 viewsderbyhoop

Rant over!

Would Watford's 3rd equaliser have been allowed with VAR? Or just confirmed the AR decision?

Swings & roundabouts.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 19:53 - Sep 6 with 1113 viewsterryb

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 15:05 - Sep 6 by derbyhoop

Would Watford's 3rd equaliser have been allowed with VAR? Or just confirmed the AR decision?

Swings & roundabouts.

Confirmed the AR decision.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:11 - Sep 7 with 955 viewsPinnerPaul

As promised on another thread. Fellow ref's view of VAR and how its being used in the PL

"I spoke yesterday about feeling a sense of shame when all referees are humiliated by our professional colleagues. I can't see us ever getting much respect at any level when we see this stuff on TV because we all get tarred with the same brush

Note also that the mistakes made by on field officials yesterday were accepted without much furore. Particularly the Villa offside
The game is only played in slow motion at Shockley Park. They need to stop making us all look like morons. When VAR interjects like this, it's a misuse and abuse of the whole process"
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:23 - Sep 7 with 947 viewsEastR

VAR — the new opium for the great unwashed

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:33 - Sep 7 with 941 viewsNorthernr

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 17:11 - Sep 7 by PinnerPaul

As promised on another thread. Fellow ref's view of VAR and how its being used in the PL

"I spoke yesterday about feeling a sense of shame when all referees are humiliated by our professional colleagues. I can't see us ever getting much respect at any level when we see this stuff on TV because we all get tarred with the same brush

Note also that the mistakes made by on field officials yesterday were accepted without much furore. Particularly the Villa offside
The game is only played in slow motion at Shockley Park. They need to stop making us all look like morons. When VAR interjects like this, it's a misuse and abuse of the whole process"

100% spot on.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:12 - Sep 7 with 916 viewsHAYESBOY

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 14:21 - Sep 6 by PinnerPaul

Oh dear not the ex players shout.

That was mentioned on MOTD

1) Danny Murphy said one of the offsides was offside anyway "because the ball went backwards" - what???!!!!

2) Shearer called Michael Salisbury an inexperienced referee, because he had done 6 PL games. How many matches do you think he has refereed Alan, he hasn't come from Mars, my guess would be about 1,000.

3) Players don't kn ow the laws at any level - you see professionals appealing for offside as soon as an attacker moves beyond them, no player understands, the very simple, no contested drop ball, and managers often talk absolute gibberish regarding laws in post match interviews.

Obviously, they would have to go through a programme of training and familiarisation with all the technology, no one is saying just invite them around to pop in at West Drayton for a cuppa and have a look at the replay.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 23:13 - Sep 7 with 836 viewsdigswellhoop

noo
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 00:07 - Sep 8 with 825 viewsstanistheman

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 20:47 - Sep 4 by denhamhoop2

Could go with Crickets way of dealing with the not quite sure decisions that what the official on the field called unless there is indisputable evidence they are wrong

MLS doesn't use lines and if it is marginal they go with the infield decision.
It is a much better way.

Clear and obvious error should mean that it only takes 1 or 2 views to make a decision. Any more than that and it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

Whether it is a goal, penalty or a red card offence they are viewing it shouldn't take more than 60 seconds to decide.

The FA and FL (if they will use it) need to stipulate rules on how and how long they will take to make a decision because the PGOML or whatever acronym they use, sure as hell don't know how to use the technology available to them.
Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 15:30 - Sep 8 with 758 viewsPinnerPaul

Anyone still want VAR in the championship on 18:12 - Sep 7 by HAYESBOY

Obviously, they would have to go through a programme of training and familiarisation with all the technology, no one is saying just invite them around to pop in at West Drayton for a cuppa and have a look at the replay.

I'm not so worried about the technology - they have (non referee) help with that, its the actual laws they need to know!

Still not convinced that an ex professional who has refereed zero games in real life at any level, makes a better decision from Stockley Park, than a bloke who is at the top of his profession, having refereed about 1,000 games and crucially is stood 5 yards away from the incident.

That's why I believe, Michael Oliver 'overruled VAR last weekend, no one in the country, at that moment was in a better position to judge the handball than him - you don't need anyone else with another opinion and whoever you use at Stockley Park, that's all it is, in most cases, another opinion - just like mine, yours or anyone else's.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024