Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? 01:32 - Aug 18 with 16206 viewsymaohyd

Who would it be?

I've enjoyed watching the olympics and got into a debate with a friend as to who it would be.

I'm assuming it would be an Olympian as I can't think of a sportsperson outside of olympic sports who would be worthy of the accolade?

The criteria? Longevity, dominance of their particular sport, that sport being a global sport and ultimately being a winner.

I would have said Andy Murray, however, it could be argued that he hasn't dominated his sport although he has done amazingly well and would certainly be up there.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 20:53 - Aug 18 with 2372 viewsexiledclaseboy

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 20:43 - Aug 18 by dailew

Comes to the UK as a refugee.

Benefits from state schooling then funding for his career but fücks off as a tax exile as soon as the money starts piling in.

According to to his Wiki page, Farah moved to London to live with his father, who was British born.

So not a refugee.

Poll: Tory leader

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:05 - Aug 18 with 2353 viewsRancid

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 20:43 - Aug 18 by dailew

Comes to the UK as a refugee.

Benefits from state schooling then funding for his career but fücks off as a tax exile as soon as the money starts piling in.

What's that got to do with his achievements? He runs for Britain, always has.He's not one of these athletes who switch nationalities late on in their career of which there are plenty.He's always represented Team GB.What he does with his money is of no concern to me but I think he's the greatest ever sporting Brit.
Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:14 - Aug 18 with 2339 viewsDr_Winston

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:05 - Aug 18 by Rancid

What's that got to do with his achievements? He runs for Britain, always has.He's not one of these athletes who switch nationalities late on in their career of which there are plenty.He's always represented Team GB.What he does with his money is of no concern to me but I think he's the greatest ever sporting Brit.

That and the fact that Britain doesn't really have the kind of high altitude training opportunities that Farah needs.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:28 - Aug 18 with 2321 viewsBanosswan

Brownlee making his case

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:30 - Aug 18 with 2311 viewsmorningstar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Fitzsimmons

Mo farah my ar$e!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:34 - Aug 18 with 2307 viewsdailew

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:05 - Aug 18 by Rancid

Why would he switch when he was getting funding from the UK?

Would undoubtedly lose a lot of sponsorship if he switched as well as his "brand" would be tainted.

[Post edited 18 Aug 2016 21:39]

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:37 - Aug 18 with 2299 viewsDarran

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:34 - Aug 18 by dailew

Would undoubtedly lose a lot of sponsorship if he switched as well as his "brand" would be tainted.

You're having a f*cking mare Dai.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:40 - Aug 18 with 2293 viewsexiledclaseboy

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:37 - Aug 18 by Darran

You're having a f*cking mare Dai.

Farah's a Muslim. That's Dai's problem.

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:41 - Aug 18 with 2289 viewsdailew

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:14 - Aug 18 by Dr_Winston

That and the fact that Britain doesn't really have the kind of high altitude training opportunities that Farah needs.

You don't need to get tax exile status to train at altitude.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:46 - Aug 18 with 2286 viewsBanosswan

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:41 - Aug 18 by dailew

Plenty of born and bred sports stars are tax exiles. That's not really a stick you can beat him with.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:55 - Aug 18 with 2268 viewsmorningstar

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:40 - Aug 18 by exiledclaseboy

Farah's a Muslim. That's Dai's problem.

I reckon we should start inviting the Muslim faith onto this site. You should convert Clasey, i think you'd make a lovely muslim. You can get one of those ginger beards like all the other christian converts. It would suit you down to the ground.

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 22:01 - Aug 18 with 2253 viewsDarran

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:55 - Aug 18 by morningstar

I reckon we should start inviting the Muslim faith onto this site. You should convert Clasey, i think you'd make a lovely muslim. You can get one of those ginger beards like all the other christian converts. It would suit you down to the ground.

He's got one already mun.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 22:09 - Aug 18 with 2240 viewsmorningstar

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 22:01 - Aug 18 by Darran

He's got one already mun.

He looks a lot younger than i remember him. He's obviously at peace with his new faith. allahu akbar Clasey boy, go for it my son.

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 22:54 - Aug 18 with 2181 viewsItchySphincter

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:55 - Aug 18 by morningstar

Plenty of ginger and blonde arabs.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 22:59 - Aug 18 with 2188 viewsskippyjack

Boxing - Joe Calzaghe
Darts - Phillip Taylor
Tennis - Fred Perry
Football - George Best
Golf - Harry Vardon
Cricket - Ian Botham
Track Cycling - Chris Hoy, Jason Kenny
Snooker - Joe Davis
Horse Racing - AP McCoy, Lester Piggott
Sailing - Ainsley
F1 - Jackie Stewart
Rugby - Gareth Edwards
Rowing - Redgrave

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 08:05 - Aug 19 with 2049 viewsDr_Winston

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:41 - Aug 18 by dailew

If you were spending nine months out of the country working you wouldn't pay full tax either.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 13:11 - Aug 19 with 1991 viewsCountyJim

Check out Max Woosnam

Among his achievements were winning an Olympic gold and silver in tennis at the 1920 Summer Olympics, winning the doubles at Wimbledon, compiling a 147 break in Snooker, making a century at Lord's Cricket Ground, captaining the British Davis Cup team, captaining Manchester City F.C. finishing ultimately runners-up for the Football League Championship in 1920—21 and captaining the England national football team

All thats missing is a nine darter
Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 13:17 - Aug 19 with 1987 viewsjedijack

Just did the weekly quiz on the BBC website and discovered quite an interesting little titbit (well I thought so)

Jason Kenny, Mo Farah, Sir Steve Redgrave and Sir Chris Hoy we all born on the same date, 23rd March (different years obviously). Roger Bannister was also born on the same date.

Keeping that in the memory bank for the family xmas quiz. :)
Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 13:27 - Aug 19 with 1974 viewsScotia

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 21:34 - Aug 18 by dailew

A lack of funding hasn't done the other East African distance runners much harm.

Honourable mention for some paralympians too. Tanni Grey - Thompson and David Weir anybody?

Dame Tanni has got to be the greatest Welsh sports person of all time.
Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 15:26 - Aug 19 with 1938 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 13:11 - Aug 19 by CountyJim

Check out Max Woosnam

Among his achievements were winning an Olympic gold and silver in tennis at the 1920 Summer Olympics, winning the doubles at Wimbledon, compiling a 147 break in Snooker, making a century at Lord's Cricket Ground, captaining the British Davis Cup team, captaining Manchester City F.C. finishing ultimately runners-up for the Football League Championship in 1920—21 and captaining the England national football team

All thats missing is a nine darter

That's all very impressive and I note he made a 147 break in snooker.

There's no 9 dart out mentioned though. Is this conclusive proof that a 9 darter is more difficult than a 147?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 15:27 - Aug 19 with 1937 viewsymaohyd

If Daley Thomson had won a 3rd Olympics gold I would have said he was the greatest. Considering the sport that he competed in.

Sir Chris Hoy achieved golds over 3 Olympics, however I know little about cycling and there seems to be so many forms of the indoor event, giving more opportunities. Also Sir Steve Redgrave's 5 golds. Can you put a rower, who might have been in a 4 or 2 over a decathlete?

If Mo Farah goes onto Tokyo and wins a 3rd gold, I think given the nature of his sport I would say would put him up there as the greatest.

As for the here and now I'd go for Joe Calzaghe. To retire undefeated, to have fought and won against so many very good fighters in such a brutal sport, for me puts him at the top.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 23:34 - Aug 19 with 1869 viewsattila_the_hun

Paolo Radmilovic

"I'm Free"

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 23:36 - Aug 19 with 1869 viewsattila_the_hun

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 20:28 - Aug 18 by Brynmill_Jack

Leighton Rees

"I'm Free"

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 01:22 - Aug 20 with 1842 viewsNeathJack

Daley Thompson.
Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 04:36 - Aug 21 with 1779 viewsLoyal

Greatest British Sportsperson of All Time? on 04:45 - Aug 18 by Treforys_Jack

Its all pretty subjective, Gareth Edwards, George Best, Daley Thompson, Stephen Hendry, Mo Farah (if you accept he's a Brit), Stirling Moss just to throw a few names out there at 4:45 AM.

Eric Bristow.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024