Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we ever going to own our ground? 10:24 - Jun 19 with 14832 viewsdaledaledale

Ten months on since Keith Hill announced the football club were trying to buy Spotland stadium. Does anyone know if we are any closer to completing the sale?
Are we ever going to own our ground? on 23:52 - Jun 19 with 2365 viewsTVOS1907

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 23:04 - Jun 19 by mingthemerciless

If we're being picky Hornets don't really need the pitch relaying. Last time I saw it it was fine. Don't really need the pitch covers as Rugby League is a summer game. So i've never actually seen these covers in action. Ditto to a great extent the new floodlights , I can't really remember the last time I saw them on at a game for any length of time. Yes we need a groundsman. When ever I saw the last one at a game he wandered around with his fork in one hand and his mobile phone in the other. Maybe Hornets hadn't paid him so he just used his ' Dale hand for the fork.

Do you know why the pitch was fine? Go on, have a guess.

Saying Hornets don't need all those things raises the question of why they are actually at Spotland, doesn't it?

Rugby is a summer game? That's funny, because Hornets' first game at Spotland this year was on Sunday 15th February. That's the tail end of winter/early Spring, when covers could easily be necessary.

They also played at home on Wednesday 25th February. Did they play in the dark?

And the groundsman will be paid by the Stadium Company.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 23:54 - Jun 19 with 2360 viewsTVOS1907

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 23:43 - Jun 19 by KenBoon

They do need the covers. You had a game postponed earlier in the year because they weren't used.

I'm sure some of those early and late season games need Floodlights - or even summer ones when it's v cloudy.

They do need pitch work. I believe Hornets have had games postponed for waterlogging. Imagine how many they'd be with worse drainage. Whilst mud won't stop them playing, an uneven surface would.

Every bit of work that's gone into the pitch and floodlights has also benefited Hornets. Your summer game lasts about 8 months? Summer in Rochdale 'aint 8 months.

You beat me to it, Ken.

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 00:03 - Jun 20 with 2335 viewsdingdangblue

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 23:23 - Jun 19 by Shun

Link not found!

Should work now.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 00:08 - Jun 20 with 2319 viewsdingdangblue

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 23:04 - Jun 19 by mingthemerciless

If we're being picky Hornets don't really need the pitch relaying. Last time I saw it it was fine. Don't really need the pitch covers as Rugby League is a summer game. So i've never actually seen these covers in action. Ditto to a great extent the new floodlights , I can't really remember the last time I saw them on at a game for any length of time. Yes we need a groundsman. When ever I saw the last one at a game he wandered around with his fork in one hand and his mobile phone in the other. Maybe Hornets hadn't paid him so he just used his ' Dale hand for the fork.

That sounds like you dont really need a facility as good as Spotland Stadium................Lenny Barn is available I hear.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 09:37 - Jun 20 with 2166 viewsmingthemerciless

You're missing the point. Hornets don't really NEED any of those things anything like the ' Dale do. The pitch was fine when we left it. Grass grows like mad in this period, you just need to cut it regularly. The floodlight were fine as they were given the amount of use Hornets put them too. As for the covers, we've never used them, nor are we likely to.

You paid for things YOU wanted, please don't dress them up as a free gift to Hornets.

I see apart from the dosh made by renaming the stadium nobody really as any idea how to increase the income stream in the event of the ' Dale re-gaining ownership of the ground.
Are we ever going to own our ground? on 09:50 - Jun 20 with 2149 viewsnordenblue

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 09:37 - Jun 20 by mingthemerciless

You're missing the point. Hornets don't really NEED any of those things anything like the ' Dale do. The pitch was fine when we left it. Grass grows like mad in this period, you just need to cut it regularly. The floodlight were fine as they were given the amount of use Hornets put them too. As for the covers, we've never used them, nor are we likely to.

You paid for things YOU wanted, please don't dress them up as a free gift to Hornets.

I see apart from the dosh made by renaming the stadium nobody really as any idea how to increase the income stream in the event of the ' Dale re-gaining ownership of the ground.

So they dont "need" them put happily use the facilities? Seems you've missed a few points too,the covers you "never use" protect the grass you "never" play on?
The grass "just needs cutting" i take it that's a groundsmans job,someone else you dont "need" im guessing either?
For the class of rugby and the attendance there you'd be better off on Firgrove where the facilities available match the standard required.
Are we ever going to own our ground? on 10:47 - Jun 20 with 2094 viewsSandyman

Yet Hornets won't ground share with Mayfield because it's "not up to standard". Maybe if they put some money into Mayfield it would be? Ah, just realised the "put some money into" error. Sorry.
Are we ever going to own our ground? on 10:54 - Jun 20 with 2077 viewsColDale

I think Hornets have had enough free gifts out of this stadium over the years.

Your argument is that as a football team, there is no requirement for us to play on a decent pitch. That's debatable but should it be left to rack and ruin, there would be costs all round if we ended up with a pitch akin to the one that Blackpool play on / are abandoned on. Neglect of the playing surface led to issues, season after season, and its only the annual work which prevents a return to the days of postponement after postponement.

The Floodlights are a FL requirement and as such, should have been provided by the Stadium Company as landlords. But the RFL won't pay a penny, and understandably so given they inherited the shares by default from an old Hornets who could have been taught a thing or two about financial management by the Greek government.
Login to get fewer ads

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:13 - Jun 20 with 2032 views442Dale

Surely you want Dale to play on the best possible pitch, something our manager has made such a big thing about over the years?

If we just let it grow like mad and cut it regularly will this guarantee that the team have as good a surface as possible to play on by next February/March? If there can be such a guarantee, maybe contact the groundstaff as its clear we could be saving some money.

I've no idea how to prepare a football, rugby or cricket pitch but, to confirm, if they look fine are we saying letting grass grow and cutting it will do?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:17 - Jun 20 with 2001 views442Dale

Pitch covers being used:

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/124/rochdale-hornets/77117/game-on

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:18 - Jun 20 with 1997 viewsFrog

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 18:34 - Jun 19 by D_Alien

Not sure they can look any more stupid than they already do?

The people in charge of the towns finances have about as much clue as the likes of Dale23years and Parkins Gimp.

Near where I live, a team of contractors have been paid to repaint railings belonging to RMBC. the work is completely unnecessary, having last been done less than three years ago, and the rate at which the work is being carried out is an absolute joke. Meanwhile (as 1Mark1 says) there are vital services being cut elsewhere. I contacted the council and enquired if the work was being done by mistake, and asked why my council tax was being wasted in this way, but got no reply.

If this is the level of competence and communication the Dale board are having to put up with, we really are in for a long wait.

The railings will be being painted because someone is making money out of it.
Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:18 - Jun 20 with 1996 viewsYouTubeDale

As at 31st May 2014 the Stadium company owed the football club £85k and that was an increase of £9k on the year before. So you might guess that they owe us circa £95k at the moment. Yes, I am sure much needed work has not been carried out owing to the poor finances at the moment. The football club is being held back instead of it blossoming even more. The Council should move heaven and earth in order to resolve this painful situation dragging on ad infinitum.

At the last AGM Chris Dunphy said something like : issues are being resolved but new issues seem to pop up and the whole process is slow and weary.

Perhaps there needs to be new blood injected into the process in order to drive the whole "project", giving it more momentum, to bring a common sense conclusion: that the football club takes over and owns the ground and is willing to pay a good sum to do so.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:27 - Jun 20 with 1972 viewsmingthemerciless

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 10:54 - Jun 20 by ColDale

I think Hornets have had enough free gifts out of this stadium over the years.

Your argument is that as a football team, there is no requirement for us to play on a decent pitch. That's debatable but should it be left to rack and ruin, there would be costs all round if we ended up with a pitch akin to the one that Blackpool play on / are abandoned on. Neglect of the playing surface led to issues, season after season, and its only the annual work which prevents a return to the days of postponement after postponement.

The Floodlights are a FL requirement and as such, should have been provided by the Stadium Company as landlords. But the RFL won't pay a penny, and understandably so given they inherited the shares by default from an old Hornets who could have been taught a thing or two about financial management by the Greek government.

No, I'm saying that Rugby League doesn't need the grass cut to the same level as Football. Most Rugby League grounds have the grass significantly longer.
Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:30 - Jun 20 with 1958 views442Dale

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:27 - Jun 20 by mingthemerciless

No, I'm saying that Rugby League doesn't need the grass cut to the same level as Football. Most Rugby League grounds have the grass significantly longer.

So the pitch was "fine" for rugby? At what point should they do the work to make it "fine" for football?

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:50 - Jun 20 with 1929 views1mark1

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:13 - Jun 20 by 442Dale

Surely you want Dale to play on the best possible pitch, something our manager has made such a big thing about over the years?

If we just let it grow like mad and cut it regularly will this guarantee that the team have as good a surface as possible to play on by next February/March? If there can be such a guarantee, maybe contact the groundstaff as its clear we could be saving some money.

I've no idea how to prepare a football, rugby or cricket pitch but, to confirm, if they look fine are we saying letting grass grow and cutting it will do?

Is he a Dale fan?

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:55 - Jun 20 with 1921 views1mark1

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:17 - Jun 20 by 442Dale

Pitch covers being used:

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/124/rochdale-hornets/77117/game-on

After all of these years, we should realise how hard it is to get through to the rugby club fans.

If I was them I would demand my club play at another place where they might be more satisfied instead of constantly complaining .

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 12:25 - Jun 20 with 1891 viewsTVOS1907

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:50 - Jun 20 by 1mark1

Is he a Dale fan?

Debatable.

He probably supports someone like Blackburn.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2015 12:25]

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 12:30 - Jun 20 with 1883 viewsTVOS1907

WE pay for things the stadium needs.

Two clubs share the stadium, yet that's where the equality stops.

It's not rocket science.

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 12:44 - Jun 20 with 1851 viewsVespa

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 12:25 - Jun 20 by TVOS1907

Debatable.

He probably supports someone like Blackburn.
[Post edited 20 Jun 2015 12:25]

...Or bURY more likely, just trolling.

Up the Dale, C'mon Hornets

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 13:07 - Jun 20 with 1796 viewsD_Alien

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:18 - Jun 20 by Frog

The railings will be being painted because someone is making money out of it.

You're not wrong.

The contracted firm, E.R.Williams, certainly will be. The question is, why this is happening when services to the elderly and those with disabilities are being cut? So the Labour council can blame their incompetence on "Tory cuts"? That's not to say local government isn't being asked to manage on a reduced budget, but they're "managing" to pay for completely unnecessary work.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 13:18 - Jun 20 with 1768 viewsmingthemerciless

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:55 - Jun 20 by 1mark1

After all of these years, we should realise how hard it is to get through to the rugby club fans.

If I was them I would demand my club play at another place where they might be more satisfied instead of constantly complaining .

I'm not complaining. I'm just pointing out that Hornets didn't really need the improvements you would have liked us to pay for.

For forty five of the past fifty five years I've a been a regular attender at the 'Dale.i was there that day when the first promotion was achieved. I remember slapping Big Reg on the back when we all invaded the pitch at the final whistle that day. I was a pal and ex-team mate of " Ego " who also scored that day.

In fact it was only when I got a serious injury playing Football that I started watching Rugby League in the first place. What has driven me away from watching football at Spotland is the one eyed attitude displayed so eloquently in this thread.
Are we ever going to own our ground? on 13:23 - Jun 20 with 1757 views442Dale

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 13:18 - Jun 20 by mingthemerciless

I'm not complaining. I'm just pointing out that Hornets didn't really need the improvements you would have liked us to pay for.

For forty five of the past fifty five years I've a been a regular attender at the 'Dale.i was there that day when the first promotion was achieved. I remember slapping Big Reg on the back when we all invaded the pitch at the final whistle that day. I was a pal and ex-team mate of " Ego " who also scored that day.

In fact it was only when I got a serious injury playing Football that I started watching Rugby League in the first place. What has driven me away from watching football at Spotland is the one eyed attitude displayed so eloquently in this thread.

But they have used pitch covers, right?

I've no problems whatsoever with Hornets playing at Spotland, but do you agree that previous eras before the new Hornets came along may have contributed to how some still view them today? That doesn't mean it's right, but can you see why some Dale fans hold that view?

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 13:25 - Jun 20 with 1750 viewsD_Alien

How many eyes do you need to see whilst wearing a blazer?

Facetious question? Of course. But comparing one-eyedness of anyone connected with the Dale to the total myopia of the Hornets blazer brigade takes some doing. At least we can see clearly out of our one eye!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 13:35 - Jun 20 with 1721 views1mark1

It's the attitude of the Rugby club and some of it's supporters that has made many Dale fans turn away from Hornets.

I was there at the Athletic Grounds on many occasions, often the following day from watching the Dale, but nowadays I would not give a penny to them just like bury. I would therefore never claim now to be a fan of the rugby club, even if I used to be.

The FACT is that the stadium is managed and run by a stadium company with representatives acting on behalf of both clubs and the community, and work on the stadium and pitch benefits both clubs.

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 13:49 - Jun 20 with 1692 viewsdingdangblue

Are we ever going to own our ground? on 11:17 - Jun 20 by 442Dale

Pitch covers being used:

That'll be covered by their 'rent' payments no doubt.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024