Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Orange wine 20:55 - Jul 30 with 4076 viewscolinallcars

There's been lots of talk on social media (Yeah, I know), about orange wine.
I saw a bottle in Waitrose, special intro price so I bought it.
I'm on beer tonight so will sample it tomorrow night.
Anyone tried it ?
Will I be stricken or be puking ?
Orange wine on 21:04 - Jul 30 with 2734 viewsdmm

You should hope they're not taking the pith. Pip, pip.
Orange wine on 22:12 - Jul 30 with 2623 viewsNewBee

Out of curiosity, I had some a couple of years ago i.e. before the current trend. (Iirc, the first bottle was from ASDA, of all places)

Can't say it was notably good or notably bad, and certainly not especially different from regular white wine. (At least no more than Rose)

So I'd say ignore the hype, try it for yourself and if you find some you like, at a price you're happy to pay, then fire away.
Orange wine on 22:54 - Jul 30 with 2534 viewsjohann28

I'm in the wine trade and Orange wines have been popular for a few years now, although they still tend to be a bit pricier than 'normal' wines.

They're basically white wines that are much deeper in colour than usual, ranging from pale amber to deep orange. (Some countries prefer the term ‘amber’ to avoid exactly this confusion). The winemaking method that results in these deeply-coloured wines is probably the most ancient way of making white wine, a technique that has undergone a revival since the mid-90s (especially led by producers in northeast Italy).

In drinking terms, orange wines can be a little bit of a shock at first to anyone used to clear, pale-coloured, fruity white wines. Orange wines tend not to be fruity but are complex, layered and structured, often with notes of dried fruit, herbs and spices. These are food wines par excellence and can be amazing matches with foods like asparagus, fennel, mushrooms and cheeses, or when you’re looking for a white wine that has the intensity and structure to go with a meat dish. As with anything else, there are increasingly many to choose from, with a variety of different flavours. Enjoy!
Orange wine on 23:09 - Jul 30 with 2476 viewsStainrod

This is one of the many reasons why I love our club.

My daughter just back from one of her first adult holidays and was going on about orange wine in Italy. I told her she was a stuck up cow (mildly affectionately). My wife went out and bought a bottle and said stop being a boring old sod. Now I’m reading a wine expert’s take on a QPR forum.

Not many football forums I suspect would offer that.

Such a diverse fan base but if we can stay off politics we seem to rub along ok
Orange wine on 23:22 - Jul 30 with 2437 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Orange wine on 23:09 - Jul 30 by Stainrod

This is one of the many reasons why I love our club.

My daughter just back from one of her first adult holidays and was going on about orange wine in Italy. I told her she was a stuck up cow (mildly affectionately). My wife went out and bought a bottle and said stop being a boring old sod. Now I’m reading a wine expert’s take on a QPR forum.

Not many football forums I suspect would offer that.

Such a diverse fan base but if we can stay off politics we seem to rub along ok

I thought this thread was another one about Orange man bad but happily its not.
Not much of a wine drinking household but a friend of mine arrived out from Ireland with a blueberry wine and it was delicious .
Stella Rosa was the brand from Italy and there is Blackberry and Red also.No orange I think
Orange wine on 23:25 - Jul 30 with 2426 viewsHantsR

Interesting and informative thread. I was given some Vin Jaune ( yellow wine) from Caves de Muyre that I haven't opened yet. Anyone tried this?
Orange wine on 23:27 - Jul 30 with 2413 viewscolinallcars

Just finished my last bottle of Proper Job, so tomorrow it's the orange wine.
Up the hatch !
No 'ang on, that's not right….
Orange wine on 23:30 - Jul 30 with 2407 viewsChrisNW6

Love this forum! Never heard of Orange wine until my daughter told me last week, her female DJ mate, for a laugh, adds Orange Wine to her rider when doing gigs.

Orange wine, it's the future!
Login to get fewer ads

Orange wine on 23:31 - Jul 30 with 2404 viewsqueensparker

Orange wine on 22:54 - Jul 30 by johann28

I'm in the wine trade and Orange wines have been popular for a few years now, although they still tend to be a bit pricier than 'normal' wines.

They're basically white wines that are much deeper in colour than usual, ranging from pale amber to deep orange. (Some countries prefer the term ‘amber’ to avoid exactly this confusion). The winemaking method that results in these deeply-coloured wines is probably the most ancient way of making white wine, a technique that has undergone a revival since the mid-90s (especially led by producers in northeast Italy).

In drinking terms, orange wines can be a little bit of a shock at first to anyone used to clear, pale-coloured, fruity white wines. Orange wines tend not to be fruity but are complex, layered and structured, often with notes of dried fruit, herbs and spices. These are food wines par excellence and can be amazing matches with foods like asparagus, fennel, mushrooms and cheeses, or when you’re looking for a white wine that has the intensity and structure to go with a meat dish. As with anything else, there are increasingly many to choose from, with a variety of different flavours. Enjoy!

Thank you mate.

Living in the newly gentrified Queens Park / Kensal Green I have encountered much chat about "orange wine". I can now join the conversation with authority
Orange wine on 23:52 - Jul 30 with 2370 viewsCateLeBonR

Think it was called 20/20 when I was growing up. Horrible stuff I remember a girl called Sally from Northolt used to guzzle it down by the bottle.
Orange wine on 00:36 - Jul 31 with 2313 viewsdannyblue

I quite like orange wine. But it tastes surprisingly like great cider...you know the flat, stinking, tramp's piss west country homebrew type, not sweet fizzy apple juice...just a lot more expensive.
Orange wine on 01:18 - Jul 31 with 2266 viewsBoston

Orange wine on 23:52 - Jul 30 by CateLeBonR

Think it was called 20/20 when I was growing up. Horrible stuff I remember a girl called Sally from Northolt used to guzzle it down by the bottle.

Excellent tip, does she need a lift home?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Orange wine on 01:38 - Jul 31 with 2241 viewsDWQPR

Orange wine on 01:18 - Jul 31 by Boston

Excellent tip, does she need a lift home?

Shouldn’t Konk have been leading this conversation?

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Orange wine on 07:44 - Jul 31 with 2056 viewsWokingR

Orange wine on 01:38 - Jul 31 by DWQPR

Shouldn’t Konk have been leading this conversation?

Or put us in touch with his Master Sommelier.
Orange wine on 08:33 - Jul 31 with 2016 viewsKonk

Orange wine on 07:44 - Jul 31 by WokingR

Or put us in touch with his Master Sommelier.

I was going to do that, but then thought I'd get my wine broker, Johann, to post something on the subject. I think he provided an excellent overview of orange wine, but do let us know if you have any questions. And please remember, you don't have to spend a fortune on wine to get something very drinkable; there are some very nice bottles available around the £200-225 mark these days.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Orange wine on 09:48 - Jul 31 with 1901 viewsrobith

Damn, lost a big post about it. In summary, love orange wine but like so much in natural wine, it can often be a way to hide a shoddy product with a fancy label.

Originates from Georgie but the best I find are from central and eastern Europe - Germany, Austria and Slovenia particularly

Had an incredible full branch maceration chenin blanc from South Africa called Liquid Skin but afaik they only made one vintage
Orange wine on 10:47 - Jul 31 with 1841 viewsMalintabuk

Well I be.... when I was in Saudi (hence the name), earning the King's Riyal, we would brew just about anything. Experimenting with all sorts.
But the one thing we never brewed was oranges. Was told by a grizzled old expat that the acid in the oranges would react and make it undrinkable.... well more undrinkable than Jeddah Gin...
Learn something new everyday
Orange wine on 11:27 - Jul 31 with 1772 viewsnick_hammersmith

Orange wine on 10:47 - Jul 31 by Malintabuk

Well I be.... when I was in Saudi (hence the name), earning the King's Riyal, we would brew just about anything. Experimenting with all sorts.
But the one thing we never brewed was oranges. Was told by a grizzled old expat that the acid in the oranges would react and make it undrinkable.... well more undrinkable than Jeddah Gin...

I think they mean orange in colour only. The wine is still made from grapes
Orange wine on 11:39 - Jul 31 with 1754 viewsMalintabuk

Ahhh... I knew that... lol... shows what I know about wine
Orange wine on 12:34 - Jul 31 with 1687 viewsjohann28

Orange wine on 11:27 - Jul 31 by nick_hammersmith

I think they mean orange in colour only. The wine is still made from grapes

It's basically a form of white wine. It's made from white wine grapes, but the grape skins stay in contact with the juice for much longer. This contrasts with conventional white wine production, which involves crushing the grapes and quickly moving the juice off the skins before fermentation. The skins contain stuff like colour pigment and tannins which give it an amber or more orangey colour. It's an older way (some say the original) of making white wine that became fashionable in some regions from the late 90s onwards.
[Post edited 31 Jul 13:05]
Orange wine on 12:41 - Jul 31 with 1670 viewskernowhoop

Refreshing topic. Not of much interest to our regular whine merchants.
Orange wine on 12:44 - Jul 31 with 1651 viewsMick_S

Orange wine on 12:41 - Jul 31 by kernowhoop

Refreshing topic. Not of much interest to our regular whine merchants.

I had my one and only orange wine in Next Door Records before one of our home matches last season.

Underwhelmed to say the least, but I know nothing about the stuff.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Orange wine on 13:00 - Jul 31 with 1615 viewsTheChef

Orange wine on 11:39 - Jul 31 by Malintabuk

Ahhh... I knew that... lol... shows what I know about wine

That is some amazing confusion

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Orange wine on 13:03 - Jul 31 with 1607 viewsNewBee

Orange wine on 10:47 - Jul 31 by Malintabuk

Many years ago I was on holiday in Morocco. Wasn't a wine drinker back then, but one evening when a few of us were having a party on the beach, and we'd run out of everything else, we started on the local Moroccan
Red (wine, not hash).

It was awful, so bad that eventually someone added some orange juice to it: a big improvement!
Orange wine on 13:06 - Jul 31 with 1591 viewsNewBee

Orange wine on 23:25 - Jul 30 by HantsR

Interesting and informative thread. I was given some Vin Jaune ( yellow wine) from Caves de Muyre that I haven't opened yet. Anyone tried this?

Yes, it's quite distinctive, often very dry with a slight yeasty(?) taste. If you like dry sherry, you'll probably like vin jaune, but if not...

(Should add that I don't know that particular label, just had some general local stuff on holiday in the region)
[Post edited 31 Jul 13:09]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024