Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread 13:39 - Apr 9 with 23738 viewsSuperhoops2808

With the football season coming to a close in a months time, some here will turn their attention to the smell of freshly mown grass and long days sat in the hot sunny weather watching the great game of cricket.

As a member of Kent Cricket Club, I got to enjoy my first match of the season against Somerset at Canterbury over the last few days. Unfortunately, as is always the way starting the season this early, the first day was lost to rain. In fact nearly all the games were affected by rain, some without a ball even being bowled.

But I did manage to get to see 2 centurions at Canterbury yesterday and a very enjoyable day of cricket (even if I did get sun burned head - Yes I know should have taken a cap).

Did anyone else get to see cricket over the last few days? I know we have several Middlesex supporters who no doubt enjoyed the 'runfest' at Lords (over 1300 runs I believe)
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 19:54 - Sep 13 with 1612 viewsMalintabuk

Been watching the new look England and hopefully McCullum can work a little magic.
Not really impressed with Salt as captain. And I'm still trying to work out why we are playing Overington? 2 games and never bowled a ball yet.
The young Aussie McGurk made an impressive 50, be interesting to see if Cox and Bethell can come good this time
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:05 - Oct 9 with 1348 viewsMrSheen

We like an honest trier round here, so let's hear it for Abrar Ahmed of Pakistan. On a pitch designed to have bowlers waking up screaming in their sleep decades later, he has figures of 31-0-155-0, and for his current spell 22-0-87-0.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:15 - Oct 9 with 1312 viewsHayesender

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:05 - Oct 9 by MrSheen

We like an honest trier round here, so let's hear it for Abrar Ahmed of Pakistan. On a pitch designed to have bowlers waking up screaming in their sleep decades later, he has figures of 31-0-155-0, and for his current spell 22-0-87-0.

Really don't see the point of pitches like this. Great for a batsmans batting average, but not great for test cricket.

No wonder there's no one there

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:13 - Oct 9 with 1232 viewsTheChef

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:15 - Oct 9 by Hayesender

Really don't see the point of pitches like this. Great for a batsmans batting average, but not great for test cricket.

Setting aside the Big 3 (and even there I'd say Test attendances are on the slide), for most Test playing nations the matches only really exist for TV audiences.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:32 - Oct 9 with 1200 viewsnumptydumpty

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:13 - Oct 9 by TheChef

Setting aside the Big 3 (and even there I'd say Test attendances are on the slide), for most Test playing nations the matches only really exist for TV audiences.

Still get full houses in England for first four days if there are four days in a test match...

Compared to the rest of the world we certainly support and follow our sports...

Otherwise on a similar level, a regular 14k fans turn up at LoftusRoad to get bored, angry, p*ss*d off...

Maybe other nations are more selective as to how they spend their entertainment budgets !!!
[Post edited 9 Oct 14:34]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:39 - Oct 9 with 1177 viewsTheChef

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:32 - Oct 9 by numptydumpty

Still get full houses in England for first four days if there are four days in a test match...

Compared to the rest of the world we certainly support and follow our sports...

Otherwise on a similar level, a regular 14k fans turn up at LoftusRoad to get bored, angry, p*ss*d off...

Maybe other nations are more selective as to how they spend their entertainment budgets !!!
[Post edited 9 Oct 14:34]

Yeah but even England home crowds are starting to diminish not helped by price increases. The last tests v Sri Lanka definitely weren't sell outs.

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 16:38 - Oct 9 with 1112 viewsLimehouseR

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:39 - Oct 9 by TheChef

Yeah but even England home crowds are starting to diminish not helped by price increases. The last tests v Sri Lanka definitely weren't sell outs.

Agreed, the price of a ticket is just not comparable for a lot of other sports, even football. Yes, you get a days entry but it is not a guarantee of a days play with weather or Bazball etc.

However to be fair the time of year for the Sri Lanka series didn't help. A lot of cricket fans would have already spent money throughout the summer and the kids would have mostly been back at school.

I really enjoy Test cricket but there is a still an element of elitism when it comes to pricing and accessibility compared with some of the other formats of the game.

Congratulations to Joe Root, he looked in absolute agony with cramp for most of the afternoon there, no idea if he made it up the dressing room steps unaided, he could barely walk!
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 17:56 - Oct 9 with 1052 viewsMalintabuk

With the state of the wicket over there Root could also overtake Ponting, Kallis and Dravid in this series... but what a player.
Login to get fewer ads

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:35 - Oct 10 with 869 viewsTheChef

The game is basically done so we might as well try to make a 1000.

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 10:03 - Oct 10 with 844 viewsLandshark

I was just looking at prices for this match.

For general admission you are looking at a cost of 13p
For the highest price admission (which is above a tier of VIP) you are looking at a cost of £5.50.

I know the wages are not that high there but surely some people can afford 13p tickets?
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 11:37 - Oct 10 with 788 viewsswisscottage

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:35 - Oct 10 by TheChef

Tell that to the Pakistani top order :)
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 11:51 - Oct 10 with 751 viewsHayesender

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:15 - Oct 9 by Hayesender

Shows what I know

Great bowling (and some dreadful batting by Pakistan) by England here

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:03 - Oct 10 with 744 viewsCamberleyR

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:35 - Oct 10 by TheChef

Currently four down. They couldn't could they?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:06 - Oct 10 with 737 viewsswisscottage

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 11:51 - Oct 10 by Hayesender

Shows what I know

Great bowling (and some dreadful batting by Pakistan) by England here

When you have a team that can score over 800 run at 5.5 an over, no pitch is a bad pitch except when its bad in the other direction where neither side can post above 100.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:12 - Oct 10 with 723 viewsRangersw12

This is why Test cricket is the best format

Unbelievable turnaround
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:44 - Oct 10 with 657 viewsCamberleyR

Six down.

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 17:32 - Oct 10 with 481 viewsnumptydumpty

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 12:44 - Oct 10 by CamberleyR

Six down.

More than probable England win this !!!

How many games are lost and potentially by an innings when the losing team score 556 all out in the first innings of the match !!!

Partnership by The Older Joe Root and Harry Brook The younger Joe Root model !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 18:38 - Oct 10 with 437 viewsthame_hoops

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:39 - Oct 9 by TheChef

You could pick up a ticket for £90 versus Sri Lanka at Lords, I’m not saying that’s cheap, but over 6 hours that only works out of £15 an hour
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 18:40 - Oct 10 with 430 viewsthame_hoops

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 17:32 - Oct 10 by numptydumpty

More than probable England win this !!!

How many games are lost and potentially by an innings when the losing team score 556 all out in the first innings of the match !!!

Partnership by The Older Joe Root and Harry Brook The younger Joe Root model !!!

I read earlier that no team that has scored 550+in the first innings has ever lost by an innings. Hopefully we can get this done tomorrow without batting again.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 09:11 - Oct 11 with 301 viewsCamberleyR

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 18:40 - Oct 10 by thame_hoops

I read earlier that no team that has scored 550+in the first innings has ever lost by an innings. Hopefully we can get this done tomorrow without batting again.

"I read earlier that no team that has scored 550+in the first innings has ever lost by an innings"

Well they have now. Incredible

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024