Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... 13:58 - May 9 with 112005 viewshubble

..posted by a good friend of mine on Facebook, thought I'd share it on here. He's a former professional footballer (briefly for Birmingham City) and a former copper, working mainly out of Camden police station. He grew up in Kilburn/Queens Park. He's now a writer (among other things).

Worth a read I think, hope you enjoy, whether you agree with him or not, even when he veers off-topic...

"Thoughts of the Week (part 1)

Let’s start with a subheading. ‘Dear, oh dear Diane Abbot!’

In the upcoming General Election campaign and apart from the ‘Leader’ (no, not Gary Glitter) no one is more important for the Labour Party campaign than the Shadow Home Secretary. Why’s this? You ask.
The reason is obvious: Theresa May —the strong woman, Ms subtle, but steely - was the former Home Secretary. A position which she used to inflict near terminal ravages of the nation’s police forces. Under her auspices we saw numbers cut, benefits cut and police stations closed willy-nilly to cash in, short-term, on the booming (especially in London) property market.

The short-sightedness of this policy is astounding. No matter the so-called austerity budget (which only seems to apply to the working classes, while the privileged elite continue to live the life of Riley) the question must be asked as to what will happen when there’s some serious social unrest — and you can feel it stirring. Remember 2011 when the riots broke out? We had anarchy and nihilism on the streets and the police force didn’t cope with it at all. Instead we had a grand mopping up campaign. Suddenly all those poor silly students who had been demonised as hard-core criminals after they smashed the windows of the Tory HQ — and received ridiculously harsh prison sentences for what were in the main first offences - were kicked out of the pokey and replaced by the new batch of rioters. The Criminal Justice system ground to a halt, the prison’s overflowed. The courts were as ram-jam packed as a back-in-the-day David Rodigan dance. In response what did the great Theresa May do? She further decimated the police force. She did the same to the prison service. The vaunted Border Force, our first defence, is comically short of manpower and morale as they attempt to hire staff on Mickey-Mouse contracts. Labour should be slaughtering Theresa May on what she’s done. Instead we got that car crash of an interview on LBC.

To be honest I resisted calls to listen to it for a time. Some of my more right-leaning pals were raving about it, but I thought they were overreacting due to a general contempt for the Hackney MP. I was wrong. When I actually got round to listening to it I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It was stunningly incompetent, mind-blowingly nonsensical, embarrassing and shocking. Is this the Shadow Home Secretary who’s going to lead the challenge to Theresa May’s record? She should have stood down immediately and if not the great leader should have forced her hand, no matter past rendezvous in the sack. Of course it didn’t happen and Labour under Jeremy Corbyn has no hope in this election. What a shame it all is because there are loads of issues that they should be taking the government to task on. Just look at that bumbling Tommy Cooper impersonator of a Foreign Secretary, a million miles removed from a serious statesman: Mr Retraction — an embarrassment to the nation.

I’m voting Labour in the coming election, but not for Jeremy, more for the thought of the millions of people who are going to suffer under the coming five years of Tory rule: the working men and women who haven’t seen their wages rise, in real terms, for the last thirty years, while the fat cats, sharks and speculators are minted; the students starting out life saddled with debt; the millions who’ll never be able to afford a home; and in honour of the National Health Service, soon to be dismantled further, but remaining the brightest light in the nation’s modern history. What a rotten, unfair and unbalanced society we’ve become.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:18 - Jun 7 with 1740 viewsjohncharles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:15 - Jun 7 by JamesB1979

I bet he supports Labour

What odds are you offering ?

Strong and stable my arse.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:19 - Jun 7 with 1737 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:17 - Jun 7 by stowmarketrange

I bet he supports himself.

He's probably always on holiday during the election and hasn't mastered the postal vote yet.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:19 - Jun 7 with 1730 viewsDannytheR

Sadly, there was at least one person on here who said maybe we should sign John Terry once it was announced he was leaving Chelsea.

I honestly can't remember who it was, but I'm pretty certain it was a different poster to the one that said we should get Joey Barton in as player-manager "to raise our profile."
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:21 - Jun 7 with 1722 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:07 - Jun 7 by CroydonCaptJack

What post is that?

Were you running out of fuel and wanting to bore us all some more?

Ahh selective reading and unable to list reasons for voting tory, but ironically replying with a personal attack PMSL

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:22 - Jun 7 with 1721 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:18 - Jun 7 by johncharles

What odds are you offering ?

I don't think he votes for Tory or Labour or Lib Dems.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:24 - Jun 7 with 1710 viewsjohncharles

I'm sure John Terry will vote. I mean any idiot can put a cross on a piece of paper.

.......Er,
Maybe not.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:29 - Jun 7 with 1691 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:24 - Jun 7 by johncharles

I'm sure John Terry will vote. I mean any idiot can put a cross on a piece of paper.

.......Er,
Maybe not.

he's likes crosses, just burning ones.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:37 - Jun 7 with 1665 viewsCroydonCaptJack

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:21 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Ahh selective reading and unable to list reasons for voting tory, but ironically replying with a personal attack PMSL

Personal attack!
So suddenly very touchy eh.
Login to get fewer ads

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:38 - Jun 7 with 1659 viewsNorthernr

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:19 - Jun 7 by DannytheR

Sadly, there was at least one person on here who said maybe we should sign John Terry once it was announced he was leaving Chelsea.

I honestly can't remember who it was, but I'm pretty certain it was a different poster to the one that said we should get Joey Barton in as player-manager "to raise our profile."

That was a known WUM.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:41 - Jun 7 with 1643 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:37 - Jun 7 by CroydonCaptJack

Personal attack!
So suddenly very touchy eh.

Nah, it's you that is whimpering and complaining I just pointed out you are not averse to personal attacks yourself LOL

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:44 - Jun 7 with 1618 viewsFDC

Every ten pages or so this thread takes a real dip in quality.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:46 - Jun 7 with 1607 viewsCroydonCaptJack

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:44 - Jun 7 by FDC

Every ten pages or so this thread takes a real dip in quality.

Every ten pages or every ten posts?
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:49 - Jun 7 with 1594 viewsjohncharles

Tory bias - the truth #LastMinuteCorbynSmears

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:52 - Jun 7 with 1586 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:49 - Jun 7 by johncharles

Tory bias - the truth #LastMinuteCorbynSmears

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:54 - Jun 7 with 1577 viewsDannytheR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 14:38 - Jun 7 by Northernr

That was a known WUM.

Shît, I hope someone told John before he went and bought the kit.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:02 - Jun 7 with 1548 views2Thomas2Bowles

Keith Vaz have revealed the numbers on his speed dial for rent boys

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:06 - Jun 7 with 1532 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:37 - Jun 7 by JamesB1979

Fair points made here Jim. I think the press should be allowed to express an opinion, it's just that Mail, Sun, Express outweigh the Mirror. I do think the broadsheets do tend to be more balanced.

I was originally going to vote Lib Dem but have tactically changed my mind in last 2 weeks. Main reason being the corporation tax hike combined with removal of zero hours contracts and increase in minimum wage. The latter 1 is a good aim and we should try to increase this minimum wage over time. However, to me these 3 together will hit small businesses and low paid workers the most. With increased tax and cost caused by these policies, what will small businesses (and large ones for that matter) do? Take the hit? Decrease more well paid staff? Or reduce number of lower paid staff? I think they will take option 3. That's why I've decided to vote Tory tomorrow. I don't like May, I"m pro EU, I want income tax rate increased for all (LIb Dem policy) to fund public services but in my constituency Lib Dem is a wasted vote.

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:15 - Jun 7 with 1500 viewsTacticalR

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:21 - Jun 7 by FDC

It's surely no coincidence that May has held private meetings with Dacre, they've dropped the Leverson inquiry, and now these kinds of front pages.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 13:23]

Dacre backed May against Gove during the post-Brexit blood-letting

Paul Dacre plays Tory kingmaker by supporting Theresa May
https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/jul/01/paul-dacre-daily-mail-p

Air hostess clique

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:18 - Jun 7 with 1491 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:06 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I'm not sure that is a come back to my corporation tax point in any way, shape or form. Though, by all means copy and paste something else from the internet.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:20 - Jun 7 with 1486 viewsTacticalR

Diane Abbott replaced in Labour’s top team on eve of election

Gaffe-prone shadow home secretary sidelined on health grounds one day before UK poll
https://www.ft.com/content/72663664-4b5d-11e7-a3f4-c742b9791d43

Air hostess clique

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:25 - Jun 7 with 1466 views2Thomas2Bowles

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:18 - Jun 7 by JamesB1979

I'm not sure that is a come back to my corporation tax point in any way, shape or form. Though, by all means copy and paste something else from the internet.

I'm sure you would ignore anything I said anyway so just gave you the thoughts of someone with a bit more insight which you will no doubt ignore anyway, others may not.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 15:27]

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:28 - Jun 7 with 1455 viewsrobith

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:02 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Keith Vaz have revealed the numbers on his speed dial for rent boys

I know it's meant to be a joke but a) I don't think rent boys have a uniform and b)

He looks like the ABSOLUTE BOY
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:28 - Jun 7 with 1454 viewsQPR_Jim

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 13:37 - Jun 7 by JamesB1979

Fair points made here Jim. I think the press should be allowed to express an opinion, it's just that Mail, Sun, Express outweigh the Mirror. I do think the broadsheets do tend to be more balanced.

I was originally going to vote Lib Dem but have tactically changed my mind in last 2 weeks. Main reason being the corporation tax hike combined with removal of zero hours contracts and increase in minimum wage. The latter 1 is a good aim and we should try to increase this minimum wage over time. However, to me these 3 together will hit small businesses and low paid workers the most. With increased tax and cost caused by these policies, what will small businesses (and large ones for that matter) do? Take the hit? Decrease more well paid staff? Or reduce number of lower paid staff? I think they will take option 3. That's why I've decided to vote Tory tomorrow. I don't like May, I"m pro EU, I want income tax rate increased for all (LIb Dem policy) to fund public services but in my constituency Lib Dem is a wasted vote.

Are you aware of the Labour policy regarding protecting small businesses from big businesses in regard to invoicing periods. For example a company I used to work for nearly went bust because our main client decided to refuse to pay invoices in 30 days and moved it to 90 days instead. This caused cash flow issues and the company only survived because I was happy (not happy but accepted it) to let them pay me when they had the money. That was all about cash flow and had them 1hr from bankruptcy.

Corporation tax is about taxing profit, most small businesses inflate expenses to reduce the level of profit in the accounts anyway from what I remember, so I doubt it would have that much of an effect. If I make 30k profit after a years trading and get taxed 8.4k instead of 7.5k it really shouldn't lead to sackings, it's just slightly smaller dividend to the owner of the business who is probably paid a wage out of that amount anyway, so could manipulate it so his wages are higher and his profit lower if it reduced his taxes, should he wish.

The cash flow is more important to small businesses and if you remember while Corbyn was at a meeting of FSB specifically to engage the small businesses the media decided to ask him questions about trident instead of focus on this and then got all indignant when he wanted to answer their questions after the event instead. If you honestly believe corporation tax is more important issue to small businesses then that's fine but I disagree and again would say the media are burying the issue of cash flow and invoicing in favour of pushing that narrative which IMO doesn't stand up to the realities of what I've experienced.
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:30 - Jun 7 with 1441 viewsJamesB1979

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:25 - Jun 7 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I'm sure you would ignore anything I said anyway so just gave you the thoughts of someone with a bit more insight which you will no doubt ignore anyway, others may not.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 15:27]

Why would I ignore what you said? I've not been trying to force feed their politics on people here. What you copied and pasted has nothing to Do with what I was saying
On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:32 - Jun 7 with 1426 viewsFDC

On Diane Abbot, why we should vote Labour anyway, and more... on 15:28 - Jun 7 by robith

I know it's meant to be a joke but a) I don't think rent boys have a uniform and b)

He looks like the ABSOLUTE BOY

'Absolute boy' is in my top five left-Twitter memes to have come out of this election, right up there with 'slugs'and 'Jolyons'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024