Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has this season met your expectations? 22:57 - Apr 29 with 5535 viewsE17hoop

Has this season met your expectations?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Has this season met your expectations? on 16:57 - May 3 with 1443 viewsBoston

How many people have actually voted?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Has this season met your expectations? on 19:22 - May 3 with 1410 viewsE17hoop

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Has this season met your expectations? on 06:19 - May 4 with 1360 viewsdistortR

Has this season met your expectations? on 16:33 - May 1 by Stanisgod

18 th isn't mid table , its lower bottom half.

yeah. If you take Ollie's metaphor about pulling a woman etc, we're not mid-table, we're not even copping a feel.

But Rotherham finished lower then us and actually get to go down, I hear you say? Well ok, but not in a good way, more in a "damn this gender fluid age, I didn't expect to find THAT there. And I don't want to talk about gender fluid"

Has this season met your expectations? on 07:12 - May 4 with 1353 viewslondonscottish

I know plenty of good things have happened off the pitch but it's what's been happening on it that's doing my head in.

And the second losing streak was much more of a kick in the bollx than the first one as I had genuinely started to feel hope.

Derby away finished me off.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Has this season met your expectations? on 08:55 - May 4 with 1316 viewspaulparker

Not for me its hasn't I had us down us play off dark horses this year , I thought we would be hard to beat and would grind out results , if you look at the season before JFH had us as the form team in that 2nd half of the season ,
we also had a strong pre season and we were promised that the team would be fitter and stronger , we also had Cousins to come into our midfield with caulker returning (refreshed from all of his charidee work )
to me JFH lost it at the Preston home game they hadn't won a game yet we played one up top and just hoofed balls to Polter , chery couldn't be bothered and the back four looked liked they hadn't met each other , we then had that game against Sunderland in the cup where we sent out a weakened team and again lost a game we should have won , and then came Newcastle & Brentford , by then JFH had to go it was awful to watch
I thought the Olly appointment would lift us and it did against Norwich where we played them off the park for 55 minutes , we played polter & Washington up top something we hadn't done but was crying out for about 6 months and chery had his best game in the hole behind them , Hall as sweeper I thought we had finally cracked it , then the next game it all changed against Ipswich and that's been the problem all year,
change, tinker and just throw away random formations
one thing olly did do what was a positive was drop Henry and get rid of players who didn't want to be here he made Washington find some form, made Hall a sweeper and got a tune out of Pawel , and made forgotten lads like Freeman & manning into a centre midfield force , he also got Furlong in the team
we had 2 brilliant away games in Newcastle & Reading and gave Fulham a right old game at HQ and we looked a good little side
that's until we took Mackie & Pawel out of the team for more tinkering and we lost our bite
this last run of 6 defeats were more painful because this was Ollys team the last run he had the deadwood from JFH failed experiment but this last run of games has been abysmal and we have thrown away points for the sake of giving players 45 minutes here and there, oh and we got stuffed by Brentford again

the positives for me out of this mish mash of a season are
Smithies
Hall as sweeper a masterstroke,
Furlong , Manning in the team
Freeman as a midfield maestro
Luango getting more consistent
seeing the Mackie of old
Pawel on the wing
Washington looking like a striker
getting rid of the deadwood
Penrice as a scout , we are slowly getting there with getting QPR as a proper club again

Negatives
to much tinkering for the sake of it
the Ravel nonsense signing
Bidwell not performing
Lynch going backwards as a defender (he started ok )
Perch still at the club
Sylla & Yenni and their body language
Cousins injury
Caulker draining our resources again
t0ssing off the fa cup at home to Blackburn
no home 3pm game for 3 months

we need to work on our defence we need 2x cb and back up for the fullback positions, we also need a left winger and another striker
we have to find away of getting Goss in the team and we need to stick to a formation
again I can see a lot of comings and goings in the summer I just hope Olly has a rest and gets his mojo back because he looks ill and not the olly of old ,if he doesn't feel up to it he needs to be honest and go because we cannot go another season like we did this , we cannot go through another managerial change in Octobers international break
if you offered me 15th for next year now I would snap your hand off

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Has this season met your expectations? on 09:24 - May 4 with 1268 viewsSimonJames

In the season of "It is what it is", it wasn't what I'd hoped it would be.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Has this season met your expectations? on 09:43 - May 4 with 1252 viewsDejR_vu

Has this season met your expectations? on 08:55 - May 4 by paulparker

Not for me its hasn't I had us down us play off dark horses this year , I thought we would be hard to beat and would grind out results , if you look at the season before JFH had us as the form team in that 2nd half of the season ,
we also had a strong pre season and we were promised that the team would be fitter and stronger , we also had Cousins to come into our midfield with caulker returning (refreshed from all of his charidee work )
to me JFH lost it at the Preston home game they hadn't won a game yet we played one up top and just hoofed balls to Polter , chery couldn't be bothered and the back four looked liked they hadn't met each other , we then had that game against Sunderland in the cup where we sent out a weakened team and again lost a game we should have won , and then came Newcastle & Brentford , by then JFH had to go it was awful to watch
I thought the Olly appointment would lift us and it did against Norwich where we played them off the park for 55 minutes , we played polter & Washington up top something we hadn't done but was crying out for about 6 months and chery had his best game in the hole behind them , Hall as sweeper I thought we had finally cracked it , then the next game it all changed against Ipswich and that's been the problem all year,
one thing olly did do what was a positive was drop Henry and get rid of players who didn't want to be here he made Washington find some form, made Hall a sweeper and got a tune out of Pawel , and made forgotten lads like Freeman & manning into a centre midfield force , he also got Furlong in the team
we had 2 brilliant away games in Newcastle & Reading and gave Fulham a right old game at HQ and we looked a good little side
that's until we took Mackie & Pawel out of the team for more tinkering and we lost our bite
this last run of 6 defeats were more painful because this was Ollys team the last run he had the deadwood from JFH failed experiment but this last run of games has been abysmal and we have thrown away points for the sake of giving players 45 minutes here and there, oh and we got stuffed by Brentford again

Smithies
seeing the Mackie of old
Pawel on the wing
Penrice as a scout , we are slowly getting there with getting QPR as a proper club again

Negatives
Bidwell not performing
Perch still at the club
Cousins injury

we need to work on our defence we need 2x cb and back up for the fullback positions, we also need a left winger and another striker
we have to find away of getting Goss in the team and we need to stick to a formation
again I can see a lot of comings and goings in the summer I just hope Olly has a rest and gets his mojo back because he looks ill and not the olly of old ,if he doesn't feel up to it he needs to be honest and go because we cannot go another season like we did this , we cannot go through another managerial change in Octobers international break

If Holloway's still here at the start of next season I fully expect a full-on relegation battle, one we will probably lose.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Has this season met your expectations? on 11:14 - May 4 with 1218 viewslondonscottish

Has this season met your expectations? on 09:24 - May 4 by SimonJames

In the season of "It is what it is", it wasn't what I'd hoped it would be.

Next season what will be will be.

And that's what's so feckin worrying.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

Has this season met your expectations? on 11:23 - May 4 with 1212 viewsTacticalR

@paulparker 'I thought we would be hard to beat and would grind out results'

True, JFH was supposed to be an ultra-defensive coach, but we got lost in a no-man's land where we weren't quite good enough to stop the goals going in and we weren't quite good enough to score enough goals to cover for our defensive failings. Newcastle at home was emperor's new clothes on JFH as a defensive coach.

@paulparker 'we then had that game against Sunderland in the cup where we sent out a weakened team and again lost a game we should have won'

We could have won against Sunderland, but I think JFH just didn't have the nous or experience to get us over the line.

------------
Talking of expectations...

Remember that interview with JFH on Open All Rs at the end of September when JFH said Chery was the heart of the team and had to play every game? Next thing JFH was gone and Chery on a plane to China. Who could have expected that?

Air hostess clique

Has this season met your expectations? on 11:39 - May 4 with 1193 viewspaulparker

Has this season met your expectations? on 11:23 - May 4 by TacticalR

True, JFH was supposed to be an ultra-defensive coach, but we got lost in a no-man's land where we weren't quite good enough to stop the goals going in and we weren't quite good enough to score enough goals to cover for our defensive failings. Newcastle at home was emperor's new clothes on JFH as a defensive coach.

@paulparker 'we then had that game against Sunderland in the cup where we sent out a weakened team and again lost a game we should have won'

We could have won against Sunderland, but I think JFH just didn't have the nous or experience to get us over the line.

------------

Remember that interview with JFH on Open All Rs at the end of September when JFH said Chery was the heart of the team and had to play every game? Next thing JFH was gone and Chery on a plane to China. Who could have expected that?

Looking at that Sunderland game that's where JFH lost me, that and Reading at home
we made Sunderland's wingers in the 2nd half look like Bale & Ronaldo I still don't know what he was thinking playing the youngsters kaykay and Niko (who both did well tbf) when like Preston they hadn't won a game
we also had the stupidity of playing Washington left wing ,
the whole thing bar about 8 games this year as been one experimental disaster

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Has this season met your expectations? on 11:45 - May 4 with 1186 viewsPinnerPaul

Has this season met your expectations? on 11:23 - May 4 by TacticalR

------------

Think thats pretty unfair picking Newcastle as an example of JFH's shortcomings - yes we were bad that night, but Newcastle were equally brilliant as well.

I'd much rather lose 1 x 6-0 against the best team in the league than 2 x 6 match losing steaks!
Has this season met your expectations? on 11:53 - May 4 with 1177 viewsCFW

Smithies
seeing the Mackie of old
Pawel on the wing

Negatives
Bidwell not performing
Perch still at the club
Cousins injury

Annoying, frustrating, happy, sad, lucky, unlucky, bewildered, bit concerned, bit more concerned, very concerned, very, very concerned and finally phew!!!

This to me is what our season has been and agree with PP on 95% of his post. Some of our play has been excellent, some of our play has been ok, some of our play has been not very good but most has been bloody awful. Started off well with good win at home to Leeds followed up by another good win away at Cardiff - our defence looked solid with Caulker back in the side. Then it went all wrong and from then it was only a matter of time before JFH was going to get the tin tack. Our signings looked encouraging but how many times has that happened during the past few seasons - players we expect to perform frankly have not (Freeman apart).

Personally I had mixed views on the return of Ollie - yes I get all the passion etc but was not sure he would be able to get back into management - the game has moved on and not sure he has the ability to adapt. Still for me he is our manager appointed by better football people than me so he gets my support.

The first run of bad results worried me but to be fair he turned it around and we followed that up with a very good run and to be fair the International break did not help us - we were on a roll and we never looked the same team. We then went on yet another (even more worrying) run of matches where, in my view the team selection, playing system was a total shambles. The question is what did we actually get from those games and what have we learned? Apart from Ravel being a total t*at - nothing.

We just cannot have another season like this - if so I fear for us and 15th - I agree and would take it right now!!!
Has this season met your expectations? on 11:56 - May 4 with 1173 viewsTacticalR

Has this season met your expectations? on 11:45 - May 4 by PinnerPaul

Think thats pretty unfair picking Newcastle as an example of JFH's shortcomings - yes we were bad that night, but Newcastle were equally brilliant as well.

I'd much rather lose 1 x 6-0 against the best team in the league than 2 x 6 match losing steaks!

@PinnerPaul 'I'd much rather lose 1 x 6-0 against the best team in the league than 2 x 6 match losing steaks!'

With QPR there's no need to choose - you get both!

Air hostess clique

Has this season met your expectations? on 12:00 - May 4 with 1168 viewsTacticalR

Has this season met your expectations? on 16:57 - May 3 by Boston

How many people have actually voted?

Russian hackers?

Air hostess clique

Has this season met your expectations? on 12:43 - May 4 with 1145 viewsisawqpratwcity

Smithies
seeing the Mackie of old
Pawel on the wing

Negatives
Bidwell not performing
Perch still at the club
Cousins injury

"to me JFH lost it at the Preston home game they hadn't won a game..."

They hadn't won a game but they did find form at that game and didn't lose it afterwards. They went on a decent run and 11th, where they are now, is about as low as they've been since. They were a team waiting to strike form, not a weak team.

"I thought the Olly appointment would lift us and it did against Norwich..."

Sorry, that is absolute bollox. We just beat a team that had a man sent off in the second minute. No prizes for that performance.

"...we cannot go another season like we did this , we cannot go through another managerial change in Octobers international break"

I agree with this. That is why I reckon he should go now. We saw 'very poor Olly', then an extended run of 'good Olly' (and some of it was 'really excellent Olly'), and then back to 'very poor Olly'. So he can be really good or really bad: which Olly is going to turn up? I haven't got any problem whatsoever with 'good Olly'.

The worst is that 'averaged-out Olly' is only 1.14 points per game. That means squeaky-bum time come April. The prospects aren't good.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Has this season met your expectations? on 14:28 - May 4 with 1089 viewsSimonJames

Has this season met your expectations? on 12:43 - May 4 by isawqpratwcity

"to me JFH lost it at the Preston home game they hadn't won a game..."

They hadn't won a game but they did find form at that game and didn't lose it afterwards. They went on a decent run and 11th, where they are now, is about as low as they've been since. They were a team waiting to strike form, not a weak team.

"I thought the Olly appointment would lift us and it did against Norwich..."

Sorry, that is absolute bollox. We just beat a team that had a man sent off in the second minute. No prizes for that performance.

"...we cannot go another season like we did this , we cannot go through another managerial change in Octobers international break"

I agree with this. That is why I reckon he should go now. We saw 'very poor Olly', then an extended run of 'good Olly' (and some of it was 'really excellent Olly'), and then back to 'very poor Olly'. So he can be really good or really bad: which Olly is going to turn up? I haven't got any problem whatsoever with 'good Olly'.

The worst is that 'averaged-out Olly' is only 1.14 points per game. That means squeaky-bum time come April. The prospects aren't good.

"The worst is that 'averaged-out Olly' is only 1.14 points per game. That means squeaky-bum time come April. The prospects aren't good."

In fact if you look at his points per game for his last 100 Championship games (including the later stages of Palarse's promotion winning season), he's only picked up 104 points - i.e 1.04 per game.
So an average of 1.14 points per game is a whopping 9% improvement!!!
(But means we're in a relegation battle again next season)

Has this season met your expectations? on 14:50 - May 4 with 1070 viewsisawqpratwcity

Has this season met your expectations? on 14:28 - May 4 by SimonJames

"The worst is that 'averaged-out Olly' is only 1.14 points per game. That means squeaky-bum time come April. The prospects aren't good."

In fact if you look at his points per game for his last 100 Championship games (including the later stages of Palarse's promotion winning season), he's only picked up 104 points - i.e 1.04 per game.
So an average of 1.14 points per game is a whopping 9% improvement!!!
(But means we're in a relegation battle again next season)

Yeah, we might be a bit closer to that lower average come 5pm Saturday.

Not missing the tongue-in-cheek tone of your post, but I never pay much attention to what has happened at other clubs and other times. Way too many variables.

But crikey, Olly has managed to cram a huge spread of results into this 29 games, hasn't he?

Tbh, it doesn't bother me that he seems to be staying, because a lot of what he did this season has been great. You'd just have to think the odds of him emulating that next season don't appear good. Better to change a manager now than November.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Has this season met your expectations? on 22:40 - May 4 with 1005 viewsSimonJames

Has this season met your expectations? on 14:50 - May 4 by isawqpratwcity

Yeah, we might be a bit closer to that lower average come 5pm Saturday.

Not missing the tongue-in-cheek tone of your post, but I never pay much attention to what has happened at other clubs and other times. Way too many variables.

But crikey, Olly has managed to cram a huge spread of results into this 29 games, hasn't he?

Tbh, it doesn't bother me that he seems to be staying, because a lot of what he did this season has been great. You'd just have to think the odds of him emulating that next season don't appear good. Better to change a manager now than November.

I think he needs to stop second guessing other managers and settle on one style that we get down pat and are brutally efficient at.
Once everyone knows what they're doing, then develop a Plan B for the days when Plan A isn't working out too well. And that should be enough.
I think being a Sky pundit probably got him thinking too much about too many variables. (Lest we forget that with all the info he previously had at his fingertips he predicted Huddersfield would finish 23rd).

Has this season met your expectations? on 06:20 - May 5 with 958 viewsLadbrokeR

Well apparently we were heading for certain relegation under Jimmy and Holloway has saved us from relegation despite being employed to secure a play off place. Off the pitch with pals at rangers I have had a cracking time. I am not the least bit convinced by Holloway. In fact I am not entirely sure that he actually knows what he's doing some of the time. His trade mark method is to get a team playing with passion and pride. Stated simply you need a bit more than that to win games on a regular basis. I wish him well but he infuriates me. If only he would say little less. But what do I know.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024