Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! 01:27 - Sep 23 with 2943 viewsnumptydumpty

Thought would give the chap, his own thread.

Not bad enough to be highlighted out.

Not amazing enough likewise.

But apart from two seasons away, been here since he was 19, knocking on 27 now.

And always at least a squad player.

A very handy option off the bench due to his pace.

If only, he had the ability to look and think when hitting the final ball into the box, he would be more highly thought of.

Whether that's to do with ability or composure though, am not sure.

But reason for the thread being the guy has been here a long long time and every manager, no matter what their approach or whoever are their other options all have felt the guy is at the very least worth a place on the bench.

For me whatever his limitations, you know he performs and gives it his all.

He often goes under the radar here and is rarely highlighted negatively or positively on here.

Definitely for me a decent servant for our club. There have certainly been far far worse.

Been here many years and for me deserves a shout and praise for his efforts..

Good lad !!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 03:51 - Sep 23 with 2828 viewsjtuck

Scored vital goal against Rotherham at home last season.

One man shithousing factory.

Quick.

LAranger

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 06:16 - Sep 23 with 2710 viewsLblock

Agreed

I’ve always thought he was a good little player
Absolutely love his attitude

He’d be well ahead of both Jesus and Madsen in my book

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 07:16 - Sep 23 with 2605 viewshoops_legend

Decent player and heart in right place

But not enough goals or assists realistically to be pushing on.

Happy for him to be our super sub though

Poll: Would you rather win league cup or survive?

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 07:17 - Sep 23 with 2598 viewsstevec

He’s one of those round pegs that fits in a round hole so subsequently finds himself about 25 years out of fashion in the modern game.

Gone are the days where you had a Clement who gave you the ball early so you could run at the defender, cross it and if Givens didn’t head it, Bowles didn’t slide it in then Leach would probably bundle it in at the far post.

That said, he’s no Dave Thomas and his propensity to put crosses in that even Givens, Bowles and Leach might have said let’s call it a day, does leave him wide open to the criticism he receives.

He’s very handy to have off the bench. Or at least he would be if we ever sort out this midfield. For now though, his destiny might rest in Chair returning, Dembele centre and then he might, just might, be the better right sided option we have.
Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 16:24 - Sep 23 with 2231 viewsSpaceman_P

I like Smyth and his attitude, love even how he plays.

All I wish for godsakes - learn to cross and learn to stay on your feet.

bloke makes Patrick from Spongebob Squarepants look like someone with great posture.
[Post edited 23 Sep 16:24]
Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 17:17 - Sep 23 with 2094 viewsnick_hammersmith

Yep, if he could just stay onside, control the ball, stop diving, pass the ball quicker and shoot on target he might be useful.

Otherwise, I think we are looking at a L1 player at best, sorry
Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 17:30 - Sep 23 with 2033 viewsaston_hoop

Not remotely good enough from a technical perspective. He can't cross, can't shoot and can't pass. He's quick and tenacious which shouldn't be anywhere near enough but people get easily wowed by such stuff when you've been starved of pace for years.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 17:40 - Sep 23 with 1985 viewsbosh67

I really like him. We continually miss a big trick with him in that at Orient he was an inverted left winger and he really shone in that position, albeit a league down. We never put him down the left here so perhaps we never really get the best out of him?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 17:43 - Sep 23 with 1961 viewssimmo

Think he's definitely best deployed as a super sub - in either game script - and he's had really great contributions over the last year or so. The small issue is that he's our only natural right winger other than Dembele, who is so much better in the 10 based on the current setup, but not quite consistently good enough to start...

We really need someone like Andersen or Santos to cement that wide right position and allow us to switch Chair/Dembele/Saito/Madsen among the 10 and LW parts, otherwise I'm not far off having Smyth start just to accomodate Dem10...

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 18:32 - Sep 23 with 1820 viewsdutch

The most frustrating player. Can do one half of his job really well, the other half terrible. Don't understand why you can't coach a player to look up and put in a cross. He is no longer a kid, played lots of games, yet still commits the same sins time and again.
Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 19:26 - Sep 23 with 1699 viewsDorse

Plays like a glue-sniffing wasp with a grudge.

Nice.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 11:13 - Sep 24 with 1140 viewsQPunkR

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 17:40 - Sep 23 by bosh67

I really like him. We continually miss a big trick with him in that at Orient he was an inverted left winger and he really shone in that position, albeit a league down. We never put him down the left here so perhaps we never really get the best out of him?

Hmmm, let me think - Chair or Smyth?
[Post edited 24 Sep 11:13]

QPR - "shit but local"

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 11:54 - Sep 24 with 1057 viewsnick_hammersmith

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 11:13 - Sep 24 by QPunkR

Hmmm, let me think - Chair or Smyth?
[Post edited 24 Sep 11:13]

Really?
Chair was easily or best player last season, there isn't much to compare them.

If Chair was able to release the ball earlier and hit first time crosses he would probably be in the Premier League and not in the Championship.
However, I think Leyton Orient or Wycombe was probably the nadir for Smyth...
Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 14:43 - Sep 24 with 939 viewsQPunkR

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 11:54 - Sep 24 by nick_hammersmith

Really?
Chair was easily or best player last season, there isn't much to compare them.

If Chair was able to release the ball earlier and hit first time crosses he would probably be in the Premier League and not in the Championship.
However, I think Leyton Orient or Wycombe was probably the nadir for Smyth...

Err yeah that's my point. They're not even in the same galaxy. I was pointing out that LW is Chair's position so that's why Smyth has never (and will never) get to play there for us

QPR - "shit but local"

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 14:44 - Sep 24 with 932 viewsLoyalitat

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 17:40 - Sep 23 by bosh67

He achieved that with Leyton Orient when they were in division 2. Just cutting in at this level, for the most part, onto his right foot will not work as the defenders are way too savvy. He doesn't manipulate the ball in the way Chair does to wrongfoot defenders.

I like him as a squad player but his best position is wide on the right.
Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 15:13 - Sep 24 with 845 viewsTheChef

I enjoy watching him play, but as usual if he had consistent end product he wouldn't be at QPR.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 15:23 - Sep 24 with 813 viewsnick_hammersmith

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 14:43 - Sep 24 by QPunkR

Err yeah that's my point. They're not even in the same galaxy. I was pointing out that LW is Chair's position so that's why Smyth has never (and will never) get to play there for us

Sorry, I missed that.
Yes I agree, there is no way that Smyth replaces a fit Chair in the starting 11
Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 16:09 - Sep 24 with 685 viewsEsox_Lucius

Are we starting to run out of scapegoats?

The grass is always greener.

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 16:10 - Sep 24 with 680 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 16:09 - Sep 24 by Esox_Lucius

It's all Michael Meaker's fault!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 16:37 - Sep 24 with 578 viewsaston_hoop

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 16:09 - Sep 24 by Esox_Lucius

He's not a scapegoat, we could just do a lot better than him starting games.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Paul Smyth - A shout out for Smythie !!! on 16:41 - Sep 24 with 563 viewsPaddyhoops

I like Smyth but Agree with Aston on this one .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024