Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Incredible Central Defensive Saga 11:08 - Sep 17 with 826 viewsdirk_doone

Since Van Dijk and Fonte left, a phenomenal number of central defenders have passed through St Mary's, yet we still ended up with Stephens and Bednarek starting against Man United on Saturday.

Hoedt £15 mill
Vestergaard £20 mill
Danso £3 mill
Md Salisu £10 mill
Lyanco £5 mill
Holgate
Klarer
Caleta-Car £15 mill
Bella-Kotchap £10 mill
Harwood-Bellis £20 mill
Wood £3 mill
Edwards £3 mill

There are probably still 1 or 2 more I've forgotten.
[Post edited 17 Sep 11:10]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 11:18 - Sep 17 with 768 viewsPatfromPoole

Sone right old turkeys in there.

Shame we don't still have Danso, mind.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 11:30 - Sep 17 with 757 viewsdirk_doone

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 11:18 - Sep 17 by PatfromPoole

Sone right old turkeys in there.

Shame we don't still have Danso, mind.

Yes, he's worth a lot more now, but we saw so little of him here, mostly played out of position, that few of us would have predicted that, although his first 2 Premier League games for us and the only ones in which he played more than 45 minutes, were a 2-0 win at Brighton and a 1-1 home draw with Man. United. We also had a few good cup results with him in the starting lineup.
[Post edited 17 Sep 11:40]

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 11:41 - Sep 17 with 729 viewsDorsetIan

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 11:30 - Sep 17 by dirk_doone

Yes, he's worth a lot more now, but we saw so little of him here, mostly played out of position, that few of us would have predicted that, although his first 2 Premier League games for us and the only ones in which he played more than 45 minutes, were a 2-0 win at Brighton and a 1-1 home draw with Man. United. We also had a few good cup results with him in the starting lineup.

Last year Bednarek and Bellis formed the best partnership we've had for years.

Bellis is new to this level, but I would still be sticking with them both and thinking more about the 'protection' immediately in front of them, with Big Less looking good.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 11:44 - Sep 17 with 711 viewsButty101

I thought danso was just a loan

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 11:59 - Sep 17 with 687 viewssaintmark1976

If my maths is correct £104 million pounds spent, plus of course agents fees.

Speaks volumes for the quality of those employed by our club in a player recruitment role does it not ?

Pretty much the same currently. £70 million spent since the close season and we end up with a massive squad but only two Premiership quality players, Ramsdale and K W P. The remainder are inexperienced youngsters and older experienced underachievers.

Poll: On which date will we be relegated ?

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 12:01 - Sep 17 with 671 viewsdirk_doone

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 11:44 - Sep 17 by Butty101

I thought danso was just a loan

Yes, we paid Augsburg a £3 mill loan fee for him.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kevin-danso/profil/spieler/263236

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 12:02 - Sep 17 with 667 viewsTimSaint

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 11:30 - Sep 17 by dirk_doone

Perhaps it escaped your memory, but you should have mentioned that Danso was sent off in that draw with Man Utd. His ridiculous tackle on McTominay earned him a 2nd yellow, which could easily have been a red on it's own. It left us at 1-1 with a man down for the last 20 minutes, so any credit in this match goes to Danso's team mates and definitely not to Danso himself.

TimSaint

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 12:07 - Sep 17 with 663 viewsdirk_doone

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 12:02 - Sep 17 by TimSaint

Perhaps it escaped your memory, but you should have mentioned that Danso was sent off in that draw with Man Utd. His ridiculous tackle on McTominay earned him a 2nd yellow, which could easily have been a red on it's own. It left us at 1-1 with a man down for the last 20 minutes, so any credit in this match goes to Danso's team mates and definitely not to Danso himself.

No, I remember all that. That's why we let him go and we all, myself included, thought the Club was right to do so at the time.

I was also very happy when we managed to sell Vestergaard to Leicester, but one Championship trophy later, he's still there, playing in a defence that looks better than ours.

Finding good central defenders isn't easy and I'm not saying I'd have done any better. I thought that Christoph Klarer was going to be the answer to our prayers, but he's now playing for Birmingham in League One.
[Post edited 17 Sep 12:10]

Login to get fewer ads

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 12:41 - Sep 17 with 604 viewsPatfromPoole

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 12:02 - Sep 17 by TimSaint

But was this partly not due to the genius Hassenhutl playing him at left-back, despite this clearly not being his best position?

He had a bit of a habit with doing this with various players…..

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 12:46 - Sep 17 with 605 viewsTimSaint

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 12:41 - Sep 17 by PatfromPoole

But was this partly not due to the genius Hassenhutl playing him at left-back, despite this clearly not being his best position?

He had a bit of a habit with doing this with various players…..

He was brought on at Wolves away to sure up the defence (1-1 (Ings)).
The trouble was he was asked to play Right Back, but he saw himself more of a Right Winger that day !! :-)

TimSaint

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 14:05 - Sep 17 with 448 viewssaint22

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 11:41 - Sep 17 by DorsetIan

Last year Bednarek and Bellis formed the best partnership we've had for years.

Bellis is new to this level, but I would still be sticking with them both and thinking more about the 'protection' immediately in front of them, with Big Less looking good.

Exactly this
Ever since that partnership was disrupted by the return of Shoehorn Jack we have looked suspect
That list is damning in several ways
The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 14:45 - Sep 17 with 411 viewsPatfromPoole

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 12:07 - Sep 17 by dirk_doone

No, I remember all that. That's why we let him go and we all, myself included, thought the Club was right to do so at the time.

I was also very happy when we managed to sell Vestergaard to Leicester, but one Championship trophy later, he's still there, playing in a defence that looks better than ours.

Finding good central defenders isn't easy and I'm not saying I'd have done any better. I thought that Christoph Klarer was going to be the answer to our prayers, but he's now playing for Birmingham in League One.
[Post edited 17 Sep 12:10]

I have absolutely no memory of Christoph Klarer.

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 15:05 - Sep 17 with 384 viewsIfonly

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 14:45 - Sep 17 by PatfromPoole

Looked good in the academy but, like so many, never made it to the big boys level.
The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 15:10 - Sep 17 with 381 viewsTimSaint

.......that would probably be because he never played for the first team !! :-)

TimSaint

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 15:15 - Sep 17 with 372 viewsFlamingbankers

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 11:59 - Sep 17 by saintmark1976

If my maths is correct £104 million pounds spent, plus of course agents fees.

Speaks volumes for the quality of those employed by our club in a player recruitment role does it not ?

Pretty much the same currently. £70 million spent since the close season and we end up with a massive squad but only two Premiership quality players, Ramsdale and K W P. The remainder are inexperienced youngsters and older experienced underachievers.

I don't think it's quite as bad as you say; Premier standard, I would would say, are Rams, Suga, Bed, even ABK (although there's a question mark over whether he's seriously committed) KWP (although I don't rate him as a very good Prem defender) and potentially Downes, Fernandes, Uguchukwu and Dibbling). So one could argue that's a good basis for a decent Prem team. The trouble is, because we're not a fully formed Prem team, we're still going to be chasing coat-tails for a long part, of the intial part, of the season as a incomplete team capable of competing at the top level.
[Post edited 17 Sep 15:17]
The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 15:26 - Sep 17 with 339 viewsIfonly

The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 15:15 - Sep 17 by Flamingbankers

I don't think it's quite as bad as you say; Premier standard, I would would say, are Rams, Suga, Bed, even ABK (although there's a question mark over whether he's seriously committed) KWP (although I don't rate him as a very good Prem defender) and potentially Downes, Fernandes, Uguchukwu and Dibbling). So one could argue that's a good basis for a decent Prem team. The trouble is, because we're not a fully formed Prem team, we're still going to be chasing coat-tails for a long part, of the intial part, of the season as a incomplete team capable of competing at the top level.
[Post edited 17 Sep 15:17]

Fair point but

- how many of these would be starters for a mid table Prem side? 2 maybe?

- there are no strikers on your list, where will the goals come from?

- I think that the likes of Fernandes, Uguchukwu and Dibbling will be Prem standard given some experience, but are they ready to win games today? Being ready in 6 months time won't work for us.
The Incredible Central Defensive Saga on 16:00 - Sep 17 with 310 viewsdirk_doone

Tall Austrian we signed from Rapid Vienna as a teenager. He was one of the brightest stars in our academy for a few years. He was in the Saints U23 team tht won Premier League 2, then he moved to Fortuna Dusseldorf.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024