Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That penalty 17:57 - Sep 14 with 2029 viewssaint22

So was this another RM error!?
I read somewhere Archer has never taken a competitive penalty in over 100 games get he took the ball from Diaz who has scored 7 from 7???
Please tell me that’s not true
That penalty on 18:21 - Sep 14 with 1956 viewssaintmark1976

Sorry 22, I think it’s true.

Having said that the fault is Archer’s given that it was an utterly pathetic effort. If their keeper guessed correctly which way to dive he couldn’t fail to save it. Any decent Sunday League parks keeper would have done the same.

Poll: On which date will we be relegated ?

That penalty on 18:23 - Sep 14 with 1954 viewsChesham_Saint

Diaz (who I thought did really well putting himself about today - Including clattering that card happy tvvat of a ref big time) appeared to be ready to take it. The sort of mood he was in the ball would either have burst the net or landed on the Isle of Wight) until the hapless Archer took it from him. What a git.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

That penalty on 18:28 - Sep 14 with 1945 viewsdirk_doone

That penalty on 18:21 - Sep 14 by saintmark1976

Sorry 22, I think it’s true.

Having said that the fault is Archer’s given that it was an utterly pathetic effort. If their keeper guessed correctly which way to dive he couldn’t fail to save it. Any decent Sunday League parks keeper would have done the same.

He could have still headed the rebound down into the bottom of the corner of the net like any real striker would have done. He's just a poor finisher. We seem to have bought a lot of wide players like that; Cornet is another one. Such a waste of money. We already had Amo-Ameyaw, who's better than all of them.

Dibling is our best outfield player by a country mile. He won that penalty and I'm sure he'd have scored from it. Archer is not in the same class.
[Post edited 14 Sep 18:37]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

That penalty on 18:33 - Sep 14 with 1926 viewsInTimeAddedOn

I’d rather have seen Dibling take it himself if Diaz wasn’t going to. He’d certainly have made a better fist of it than Archer’s lame effort. Have you seen Archer whilst he was waiting to take the pen? To me, he looked like he was bricking himself. WHY did he take the ball off of Diaz?
That penalty on 18:34 - Sep 14 with 1914 viewsgrumpy

That penalty on 18:33 - Sep 14 by InTimeAddedOn

I’d rather have seen Dibling take it himself if Diaz wasn’t going to. He’d certainly have made a better fist of it than Archer’s lame effort. Have you seen Archer whilst he was waiting to take the pen? To me, he looked like he was bricking himself. WHY did he take the ball off of Diaz?

Archer looked terrified.
That penalty on 18:42 - Sep 14 with 1865 viewsIfonly

That penalty on 18:33 - Sep 14 by InTimeAddedOn

Why? Because RM told him to. RM explained after the match his reasons for making Archer the pen taker (bad reasons it seemed to me) and admitted that it was a mistake. It didn't sound as though Archer would be taking another one in a hurry.
That penalty on 19:03 - Sep 14 with 1814 viewsLondonSaint76

That penalty on 18:42 - Sep 14 by Ifonly

Why? Because RM told him to. RM explained after the match his reasons for making Archer the pen taker (bad reasons it seemed to me) and admitted that it was a mistake. It didn't sound as though Archer would be taking another one in a hurry.

OK fair enough, I have not seen any PM interviews. Probably explains why Archer looked like he’d just seen a ghost whilst he was waiting to take the penalty.

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

That penalty on 19:22 - Sep 14 with 1748 viewsInTimeAddedOn

That penalty on 18:42 - Sep 14 by Ifonly

Likewise, not seen anything post match, so that explains it if Archer was under instructions and would also explain why he looked as if he was going to poop himself waiting to take the kick. Decided to seek out a favourite New Forest pub and try and forget about football for the rest of the afternoon. Cab back to reality on its way then train back to London so I will be back just in time to relieve the nightmare on MOTD 🙄
Login to get fewer ads

That penalty on 20:12 - Sep 14 with 1513 viewskingslandstand1

We heard those stats as well, so on that basis why on earth did RM get Archer to take it. Diaz had the ball in his hand all the while the Utd players were trying the good old delaying tactics, and he would have been much more confident and fired up for it

That RM decision cost us at least a decent chance of getting something out of the game

At least Everton fans will be feeling more despondant (possibly) than we are tonight
That penalty on 08:29 - Sep 15 with 1126 viewsCity_boy

Whilst Martin agreed it was a mistake for Archer to take the penalty, it would be good to hear the logical reasoning why he was even considered Archer, knowing we had better (and proven) penalty takers in the team. It does make people question his decision making again.
That penalty on 09:24 - Sep 15 with 996 viewsdirk_doone

That penalty on 08:29 - Sep 15 by City_boy

Whilst Martin agreed it was a mistake for Archer to take the penalty, it would be good to hear the logical reasoning why he was even considered Archer, knowing we had better (and proven) penalty takers in the team. It does make people question his decision making again.

The only reason I can think of is that Russell Martin is not very bright. He seems to miss things that are obvious to most other people.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

That penalty on 10:57 - Sep 15 with 870 viewsIfonly

That penalty on 08:29 - Sep 15 by City_boy

This is RM's explanation as reported by the Echo:

"Well, Ben's quite a bit older than Cam (regarding his record). We've had a chat about it.

Cam has practiced a lot over the last two weeks during the intentional break whilst he's been here and Ben hasn't. He's done brilliantly with them.

At some point, he's a number nine and he's going to want to take penalties - and he felt really confident to take one and Ben was happy for that as well."

That's his explanation, but as for the logical reasoning you're asking for, I'm afraid there isn't much because:

- To RM, the fact that Diaz has a successful penalty record and Archer doesn't can be dismissed because Diaz is older. WTF? Experience is part of what makes a successful pen taker.

- Archer has put in 2 weeks practice at Staplewood but so what? As England players have told us for years, doing it on the practice ground counts for little. It's just the start.

- He's a number 9 so he'll want to take them "at some point"?? WTF again? Many of the best pen takers have not been number 9s e.g. MLT (and Archer isn't a real 9 anyway). For fvck's sake RM ask yourself, if all this is true, then why hasn't he taken any pens so far?

- If Archer felt really confident then he did a bloody good job of disguising it

Diaz should have been the pen taker all day and the only proper explanation as to why he didn't take it is that RM makes a lot of bizarre decisions.
[Post edited 15 Sep 11:04]
That penalty on 12:22 - Sep 15 with 751 viewsCity_boy

So according to Martin, Archer had been practicing penalties over last 2 weeks. Not exactly a compelling endorsement, given that McCarthy was probably in goal whilst he practiced.
That penalty on 15:27 - Sep 15 with 621 viewssledger

one word ludicrous
That penalty on 15:57 - Sep 15 with 601 viewsgrumpy

That penalty on 12:22 - Sep 15 by City_boy

So according to Martin, Archer had been practicing penalties over last 2 weeks. Not exactly a compelling endorsement, given that McCarthy was probably in goal whilst he practiced.

That penalty on 00:02 - Sep 17 with 323 views1885_SFC

That penalty on 18:34 - Sep 14 by grumpy

Archer looked terrified.

He did. He had the look of a pet dog in Springfield.

Old School is Cool

That penalty on 08:26 - Sep 17 with 198 viewsStAnt

That penalty on 10:57 - Sep 15 by Ifonly

This is RM's explanation as reported by the Echo:

"Well, Ben's quite a bit older than Cam (regarding his record). We've had a chat about it.

Cam has practiced a lot over the last two weeks during the intentional break whilst he's been here and Ben hasn't. He's done brilliantly with them.

At some point, he's a number nine and he's going to want to take penalties - and he felt really confident to take one and Ben was happy for that as well."

That's his explanation, but as for the logical reasoning you're asking for, I'm afraid there isn't much because:

- To RM, the fact that Diaz has a successful penalty record and Archer doesn't can be dismissed because Diaz is older. WTF? Experience is part of what makes a successful pen taker.

- Archer has put in 2 weeks practice at Staplewood but so what? As England players have told us for years, doing it on the practice ground counts for little. It's just the start.

- He's a number 9 so he'll want to take them "at some point"?? WTF again? Many of the best pen takers have not been number 9s e.g. MLT (and Archer isn't a real 9 anyway). For fvck's sake RM ask yourself, if all this is true, then why hasn't he taken any pens so far?

- If Archer felt really confident then he did a bloody good job of disguising it

Diaz should have been the pen taker all day and the only proper explanation as to why he didn't take it is that RM makes a lot of bizarre decisions.
[Post edited 15 Sep 11:04]

This post sums up much of what is wrong with RM. It also demonstrates that he tries to waffle his way out of admitting to major mistakes which makes him sound ridiculous.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024