Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use Them 09:25 - Sep 10 with 1370 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/62945/

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 10:51 - Sep 10 with 1283 viewsPatfromPoole

The thing with United is that their midfield gets consistently out-run against teams with plenty of energy in midfield; they are not known for being particularly good at protecting their defence.

They would love to play against tippy-tappy nonsense which gets nowhere fast.

We need to play at a high tempo from the first whistle and be really in their faces, and have pace on the wings to get us up the pitch and to the byline.

Aribo and Smallbone are not suited to this style of play.

Get Fernandes and Ugo in alongside Downes as a midfield 3.

Cornet and Dibling up top with Archer, with Brereton to come off the bench if need be.

Simples.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 11:04 - Sep 10 with 1266 views1885_SFC

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 10:51 - Sep 10 by PatfromPoole

The thing with United is that their midfield gets consistently out-run against teams with plenty of energy in midfield; they are not known for being particularly good at protecting their defence.

They would love to play against tippy-tappy nonsense which gets nowhere fast.

We need to play at a high tempo from the first whistle and be really in their faces, and have pace on the wings to get us up the pitch and to the byline.

Aribo and Smallbone are not suited to this style of play.

Get Fernandes and Ugo in alongside Downes as a midfield 3.

Cornet and Dibling up top with Archer, with Brereton to come off the bench if need be.

Simples.

Are you suggesting RM name a starting line-up without Jack Stephens and Will Smallbone?

That's mental.

Old School is Cool

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 11:17 - Sep 10 with 1251 viewsPatfromPoole

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 11:04 - Sep 10 by 1885_SFC

Are you suggesting RM name a starting line-up without Jack Stephens and Will Smallbone?

That's mental.

I am suggesting a flat back 4 with no Jack, aye.

4-3-3 is the way to go.

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 11:24 - Sep 10 with 1242 viewsPatfromPoole

TBH If Martin persists with playing Stephens, Aribo and Smallbone in this game, then that's it for me. It will be time for him to go.

The solution is staring him in the face; it is blindingly obvious who is not up to this League and who should be in the team.

This is a winnable game; we cannot afford to chuck away more points as a result of a manager's refusal to adapt and accept he has been wrong.

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 11:40 - Sep 10 with 1216 viewsCity_boy

Martin definitely has options for this game.

He is probably mulling over where Stephens will play. He has the option of playing him at Centre back, right back, left back, any of the midfield positions or a holding role. `Whatever, he will no doubt get a game, and the new signings that have shown promise will be lucky to get a look in.

In Martin's own words, he needs to be brave and play his best team , instead of his favourites.
Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 12:08 - Sep 10 with 1177 viewsButty101

Plenty of options, but few of premiership quality.

Did Harwood bellis get injured on U21 duty? If so bring in Bella-kotcha

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 12:25 - Sep 10 with 1156 viewsBazza

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 11:40 - Sep 10 by City_boy

Martin definitely has options for this game.

He is probably mulling over where Stephens will play. He has the option of playing him at Centre back, right back, left back, any of the midfield positions or a holding role. `Whatever, he will no doubt get a game, and the new signings that have shown promise will be lucky to get a look in.

In Martin's own words, he needs to be brave and play his best team , instead of his favourites.

Play Stevens on the bench, simples
Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 12:43 - Sep 10 with 1138 viewsIfonly

I predicted an unchanged side against Brentford (a prediction based on RM's stubbornness) and got it almost entirely right. I will now bring my 1 game run of success to an end with this predicted line up, based on the fact that he HAS to change now:

Ramsdale
Suga, Bednarek, Stephens, KWP
Fernandes, Downes, Aribo
Dibling, Archer, Diaz

So, I predict a change of shape to 433, with THB, Smallbone and AA making way for Fernandes, Dibling and Archer. If he trusts Lallana's fitness then it may be him instead of Dibling as a starter, but I think he'll be finding space for which ever one of them he chooses up front rather than in midfield. We'll see Cornet at some stage (probably when it's too late). Of course it should be THB (if fit) in the side instead of JS but this is an RM side after all...
Login to get fewer ads

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 14:05 - Sep 10 with 1078 viewsfelly1

THB has struggled so far to adapt to the massive step up from Championship to Prem hence the mistakes and early substitutions.
He'll start Stephens imo.
Deffo Fernandes for Smallbone and Archer for Armstrong with Cornet on the bench.
Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 17:51 - Sep 10 with 936 viewsTripleNiemi

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 11:24 - Sep 10 by PatfromPoole

TBH If Martin persists with playing Stephens, Aribo and Smallbone in this game, then that's it for me. It will be time for him to go.

The solution is staring him in the face; it is blindingly obvious who is not up to this League and who should be in the team.

This is a winnable game; we cannot afford to chuck away more points as a result of a manager's refusal to adapt and accept he has been wrong.

It’s a good job it’s a 3pm kick off as this allows plenty of time for some numbing juice…….oh wait
[Post edited 10 Sep 17:52]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 18:18 - Sep 10 with 906 viewsStAnt

4-2-3-1

Ramsdale
Sugawara THB Bednarek Taylor
Downes Big Les
KWP Fernandes Cornet
Archer
Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 18:21 - Sep 10 with 903 viewskernow

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 18:18 - Sep 10 by StAnt

4-2-3-1

Ramsdale
Sugawara THB Bednarek Taylor
Downes Big Les
KWP Fernandes Cornet
Archer

If it were down to me I’d start with that lineup as well.
Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 18:59 - Sep 10 with 864 viewsgrumpy

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 18:21 - Sep 10 by kernow

If it were down to me I’d start with that lineup as well.

We desperately need a forward to lead the line,there's no height in the box.
Why dont we start Dibling?
[Post edited 10 Sep 19:02]
Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 22:36 - Sep 10 with 798 viewsStAnt

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 18:59 - Sep 10 by grumpy

We desperately need a forward to lead the line,there's no height in the box.
Why dont we start Dibling?
[Post edited 10 Sep 19:02]

If RM wanted height up front he'd have given Tall Paul a try. If you play the right system you don't need a big centre forward - Liverpool beat Man Utd with Djotta up front and he's not the tallest.
Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 09:54 - Sep 11 with 582 viewsIfonly

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 22:36 - Sep 10 by StAnt

If RM wanted height up front he'd have given Tall Paul a try. If you play the right system you don't need a big centre forward - Liverpool beat Man Utd with Djotta up front and he's not the tallest.

Diogo Jota is an outstanding header of the ball. It's been a long time since we've had someone who can score headed goals like he can.

But even without that, Liverpool mostly score goals by attacking at pace. They are renowned for their speed and ability on the counter. As I remember that Utd game, they won by pressing. They won turnovers in the final third and again, attacked at pace. No slow build up for them.

Yes it's possible to win without a big centre forward, but not by playing the way RM does with the players he's used so far.
Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 11:37 - Sep 14 with 331 viewsIfonly

Russell Martin Has Plenty Of Options For Manchester United Game But Will He Use on 12:43 - Sep 10 by Ifonly

I predicted an unchanged side against Brentford (a prediction based on RM's stubbornness) and got it almost entirely right. I will now bring my 1 game run of success to an end with this predicted line up, based on the fact that he HAS to change now:

Ramsdale
Suga, Bednarek, Stephens, KWP
Fernandes, Downes, Aribo
Dibling, Archer, Diaz

So, I predict a change of shape to 433, with THB, Smallbone and AA making way for Fernandes, Dibling and Archer. If he trusts Lallana's fitness then it may be him instead of Dibling as a starter, but I think he'll be finding space for which ever one of them he chooses up front rather than in midfield. We'll see Cornet at some stage (probably when it's too late). Of course it should be THB (if fit) in the side instead of JS but this is an RM side after all...

So, my second week in a row predicting 10 of 11 starters right. The only one wrong was Big Les instead of Aribo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024