Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Too stubborn to be flexible? 12:41 - Aug 27 with 645 viewssaint901

Lot of threads here about tactics, team selection and the hate/hate most of us over the possession and passing game.

My view is that teams promoted to the PL on the back of a possession/passing game tend to do poorly - Burnley, Norwich etc.

teams who learn to speed up passing and play fewer more direct passes, tend to do better. Forest are a good example. That style however needs a central striker willing to make a dozen runs into the box and get the ball once. We lack that focus.

So we need to manage with what we have but playing the same way we did in the Champ is not going to work.

Is RM so stubborn and/or convinced of his way of playing that he is willing to risk the chance of losing a lot of games?

Or should he react to what he sees every day and find a new way of playing?

Answers on a postcard please.

Too stubborn to be flexible? on 12:45 - Aug 27 with 640 viewsSaintNick

Some good points well made

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Too stubborn to be flexible? on 13:03 - Aug 27 with 596 viewsPatfromPoole

Think you could add Boscombe, Fulham and Brentford to the "Forest" list.....

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Too stubborn to be flexible? on 13:46 - Aug 27 with 569 viewsDorsetIan

I think RM has earned the right to give it a go, even if the history of other teams doing it are not hopeful.

Losing two games by narrow margins because of individual mistakes isn't enough evidence of failure for me.

And I'd rather the team were playing in a style they know while they are all getting up to speed with the new level and bedding in new players.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Too stubborn to be flexible? on 14:46 - Aug 27 with 494 viewsHeisenberg

Ive watched a couple of other teams this season and reckon Saints are not physical enough. Brentford and Forest have big strong players who make our midfielders look like oompah lumpahs.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Too stubborn to be flexible? on 16:01 - Aug 27 with 446 viewsIfonly

I've been saying for a year on this board that possession will not work for us in the PL. Everything I've seen so far confirms that view.

RM has shown some flexibility (e.g. limiting the tippy tappy around McCarthy last year) but he's said himself that he's not going to change his spots. He plays a certain way and that's it. Unfortunately that way is doomed to fail unless you possess the kinds of players that can pass their way through a packed defence full of PL quality defenders. We will never have those players because we don't have either that kind of budget, or Barcelona's academy.

We need to change our style to succeed long term in the Prem, but unfortunately it's going to take a lot of pain before the board realise that, particularly after committing themselves so publicly to the possession game. I think we'll probably be relegated this year but I doubt that even that will change the approach of either RM or the club.
Too stubborn to be flexible? on 19:18 - Aug 27 with 342 viewsBridders2

Give him 3 more games in the PL, if we lose all those then let's have a mass protest at SMS. Big banners saying "CHANGE THE SYSTEM". If nothing changes then change the banners to "SPORTS REPUBLIC OUT".
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024