Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The return of National Service 07:37 - May 26 with 3700 viewsGwyn737

New Tory policy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cpddxy9r4mdo

What’s next? Milk having to be delivered in bottles by a milkman? Penny sweets that actually cost 1p?

It’s gone ‘The Thick of It’ very early.

The return of National Service on 10:22 - May 26 with 600 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The return of National Service on 09:41 - May 26 by Gwyn737

Just seen James Cleverly on the news saying they would ‘compel people to do it’.

Still don’t know hat that means. Community service for not doing community service 🤷🏻
[Post edited 26 May 9:42]

They don’t know what it means either having only desperately plucked a random policy out of thin air about seven minutes ago.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

The return of National Service on 10:24 - May 26 with 595 viewsGwyn737

The return of National Service on 09:59 - May 26 by onehunglow

Many kids have hardly been out of their sink estate in cities of despair .
NS could widen their horizons
I feel for kids now
They have more but ,less

As I posted earlier, people like this policy for other people’s children, not their own.
The return of National Service on 10:25 - May 26 with 592 viewsGwyn737

The return of National Service on 10:22 - May 26 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

They don’t know what it means either having only desperately plucked a random policy out of thin air about seven minutes ago.

It’s what happens when you haven’t got a record to run on.
The return of National Service on 10:50 - May 26 with 548 viewsWingstandwood

https://news.sky.com/story/refusing-mandatory-national-service-wont-lead-to-pris

Argus!

The return of National Service on 10:55 - May 26 with 537 viewsWingstandwood

What this country needs is an 'army' of plumbers and apprentices, try getting hold of a plumber without a broken promise, or waiting weeks or months, or a complete and utter failure for one to actually turn up and do a job anyhow.

Argus!

The return of National Service on 10:55 - May 26 with 533 viewscontroversial_jack

The return of National Service on 09:19 - May 26 by raynor94

Mandatory

Nothing they can do if you don't
The return of National Service on 10:57 - May 26 with 534 viewsGwyn737

The return of National Service on 10:50 - May 26 by Wingstandwood

https://news.sky.com/story/refusing-mandatory-national-service-wont-lead-to-pris

A cost of 2.5 billion!!!!

That’s the same amount it would cost to scrap the 2 child child benefit cap, which would immediately lift over half a million children out of poverty, reduce foodbank use and bring a much needed relief of pressure on public services,
The return of National Service on 11:01 - May 26 with 530 viewsWingstandwood

The return of National Service on 10:55 - May 26 by controversial_jack

Nothing they can do if you don't

Likely to be fined, or (chicken and egg situation?) or be sentanced to do community service, which is rather ironic, because that was a facet of this national service initiative anyhow.

A good idea for those willing types that would see it as a challenge or a character building opportunity.

Argus!

Login to get fewer ads

The return of National Service on 11:01 - May 26 with 527 viewsWingstandwood

The return of National Service on 10:57 - May 26 by Gwyn737

That’s the same amount it would cost to scrap the 2 child child benefit cap, which would immediately lift over half a million children out of poverty, reduce foodbank use and bring a much needed relief of pressure on public services,

That's a fair point!

Argus!

The return of National Service on 11:03 - May 26 with 525 viewsSullutaCreturned

The return of National Service on 08:53 - May 26 by Gwyn737

Having read around it I don’t think it’ll affect anything as it won’t happen.

Those who champion National Service tend to want it for other people’s children and grandchildren, not their own.

It feels like a bit of a sop to try and woo Reform voters. I wouldn’t have said that the state mandating what adults should do in their free time is a particularly Tory thing - quite the opposite in fact.

It’s a dream for Labour, mind. The Tories have identified 30,000 places in the military for the whole scheme. That less than have been lost in cuts over the last 14 years.

Open goal really. Military on the cheap etc.

Now I agree with National service and I'd be happy for my son to do it too, he's 16 in September.

I see positives, first of all teach teens discipline, then there's other training, I think it should be 3 years and not just military focussed. Teach them trades too.

I also think it should be a lot more than 30k, over 100k with every trade/job that is used in the armed forces that is also on civvy street being taught.

maybe thousands of them would choose to stay in the army at the end too. So instead of taking them on, giving them very basic training and ending using them more like police or cannon fodder, we'd have useful skills taught, people who had confidence in themselves who had a strong starting point for either regular armed forces or the world of work
The return of National Service on 11:07 - May 26 with 519 viewsGwyn737

The return of National Service on 11:03 - May 26 by SullutaCreturned

Now I agree with National service and I'd be happy for my son to do it too, he's 16 in September.

I see positives, first of all teach teens discipline, then there's other training, I think it should be 3 years and not just military focussed. Teach them trades too.

I also think it should be a lot more than 30k, over 100k with every trade/job that is used in the armed forces that is also on civvy street being taught.

maybe thousands of them would choose to stay in the army at the end too. So instead of taking them on, giving them very basic training and ending using them more like police or cannon fodder, we'd have useful skills taught, people who had confidence in themselves who had a strong starting point for either regular armed forces or the world of work

What if he didn’t want to do it Cat?

What if he wanted to go into a profession we’re desperate for and had to delay a year?

What about if he didn’t want to enlist and had to volunteer? Missing one in four days of his Saturday job or one in four sporting fixtures?
The return of National Service on 11:21 - May 26 with 492 viewsJumpingJackFlash

The return of National Service on 10:57 - May 26 by Gwyn737

Quite.

It would also give those people a bit of money to spend in their local economy thus boosting local businesses and service providers and creating jobs.
The return of National Service on 11:27 - May 26 with 485 viewsSullutaCreturned

The return of National Service on 11:07 - May 26 by Gwyn737

What if he didn’t want to do it Cat?

What if he wanted to go into a profession we’re desperate for and had to delay a year?

What about if he didn’t want to enlist and had to volunteer? Missing one in four days of his Saturday job or one in four sporting fixtures?

Life is full of things many people don't want to do but national service worked before. My fathers generation did it and my relatives that did it all enjoyed it and they weren't taught trades either.

My father and uncle did 2 years in the navy.

I could put it another way, there's a lot of young people nto very keen on working at all. So not wanting to do NS wouldn't surprise me but there arent so very many apprenticeships out there and we have a growing skills shortage so maybe compelling young peope to learn discipline AND get job trained would work.

maybe I'm biased, Gwyn. I left school and applied to join the Royal Artillery, partly because I intended to use that time to learn as much as I could at the army's expense, including possibly a HGV license. In the past we had YOP and YTS. we need a mechanism to get young people trained in much needed skills.

My son is an example of what I see as a growing problem. My current job is easy but I had to work hard fr 30 years and to be honest, I got lucky with my current role. My son, on hearing hw easy I have it said he'd apply when he left school because it's easy. easy is something we should be getting when we earned it because life isn't always easy.
The return of National Service on 11:37 - May 26 with 456 viewsGwyn737

The return of National Service on 11:27 - May 26 by SullutaCreturned

Life is full of things many people don't want to do but national service worked before. My fathers generation did it and my relatives that did it all enjoyed it and they weren't taught trades either.

My father and uncle did 2 years in the navy.

I could put it another way, there's a lot of young people nto very keen on working at all. So not wanting to do NS wouldn't surprise me but there arent so very many apprenticeships out there and we have a growing skills shortage so maybe compelling young peope to learn discipline AND get job trained would work.

maybe I'm biased, Gwyn. I left school and applied to join the Royal Artillery, partly because I intended to use that time to learn as much as I could at the army's expense, including possibly a HGV license. In the past we had YOP and YTS. we need a mechanism to get young people trained in much needed skills.

My son is an example of what I see as a growing problem. My current job is easy but I had to work hard fr 30 years and to be honest, I got lucky with my current role. My son, on hearing hw easy I have it said he'd apply when he left school because it's easy. easy is something we should be getting when we earned it because life isn't always easy.

As always, I respect your view.

It’s the whole mandatory thing I have the issue with.

If it was just providing opportunities (for example for those not in work or training) I’d probably support it.

In its current guise, no way.
The return of National Service on 11:49 - May 26 with 443 viewsSullutaCreturned

The return of National Service on 11:37 - May 26 by Gwyn737

If it was just providing opportunities (for example for those not in work or training) I’d probably support it.

I respect your opinin too but there were plenty of young people who turned out better after NS, probably some who were worse too mind.

In life some people need a shove in the right direction. after all, Gwyn, we say schooling is mandatory and how many kids want to be in school?

Better?
[Post edited 26 May 12:21]
The return of National Service on 11:52 - May 26 with 441 viewsGwyn737

The return of National Service on 11:49 - May 26 by SullutaCreturned

I respect your opinin too but there were plenty of young people who turned out better after NS, probably some who were worse too mind.

In life some people need a shove in the right direction. after all, Gwyn, we say schooling is mandatory and how many kids want to be in school?

Better?
[Post edited 26 May 12:21]

If you said ‘some’ people we’d agree 😉
The return of National Service on 12:14 - May 26 with 436 viewsonehunglow

The return of National Service on 11:37 - May 26 by Gwyn737

Not sure I think it should be mandatory but it would help many youths to find themselves and some direction in their lives
Too many now have little guidance from dysfunctional homes
This absolutely indicates family breakdown which is the very root of our problems
Kids need boundaries

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The return of National Service on 12:18 - May 26 with 420 viewscontroversial_jack

The return of National Service on 12:14 - May 26 by onehunglow

Not sure I think it should be mandatory but it would help many youths to find themselves and some direction in their lives
This absolutely indicates family breakdown which is the very root of our problems
Kids need boundaries

Is that why so many veterans are homeless and have problems in society?
The return of National Service on 12:21 - May 26 with 414 viewscontroversial_jack

The return of National Service on 11:03 - May 26 by SullutaCreturned

Would you be happy for a daughter to do it too, if you have one?
The return of National Service on 12:22 - May 26 with 411 viewsonehunglow

Anyway Russia does this
Conscripts into s foreign land

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The return of National Service on 12:27 - May 26 with 406 viewsSullutaCreturned

The return of National Service on 12:14 - May 26 by onehunglow

Kids need boundaries

Boundaries, direction, totally agree. Disciplne support but not nannying, not when they're 17/18.

we need to give them hope too. Without hope a person may feel their life is pointless.
The return of National Service on 12:29 - May 26 with 403 viewscontroversial_jack

The return of National Service on 12:22 - May 26 by onehunglow

Anyway Russia does this
Conscripts into s foreign land

Russia is getting hundreds of volunteers every month, while the Ukraine is press ganging them. Do keep up.
The return of National Service on 17:43 - May 26 with 321 viewsBoundy

The return of National Service on 09:36 - May 26 by Gwyn737

Would you like your grandchildren to do mandatory public service?

I would , why wouldn't you ? A service for the greater good has to be applauded not ridiculed. The trouble is two generations of poor parenting has led this country ( and others) to create a fug you attitude with no respect for others let alone self respect for them selves.
Kids attacking teachers , something which my generation would never have considered normal behaviour .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The return of National Service on 17:46 - May 26 with 318 viewsBoundy

The return of National Service on 12:21 - May 26 by controversial_jack

Would you be happy for a daughter to do it too, if you have one?

Why not, we have had fought equality in our society .

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

The return of National Service on 18:27 - May 26 with 280 viewsGwyn737

The return of National Service on 17:43 - May 26 by Boundy

I would , why wouldn't you ? A service for the greater good has to be applauded not ridiculed. The trouble is two generations of poor parenting has led this country ( and others) to create a fug you attitude with no respect for others let alone self respect for them selves.
Kids attacking teachers , something which my generation would never have considered normal behaviour .

Absolutely not.

At 18 they are adults. Why (in peacetime) should the state mandate what adults should do with their time?

There are definitely issues with some school behaviour but national service after they’ve finished won’t help.

I’d add that in your and my time we wouldn’t have seen some of the behaviour we see now. That’s at least partly because those children who didn’t want to be there, either just didn’t go or stuck in some special Ed class where nobody cared.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024