Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greek Islands 16:36 - Jan 4 with 9963 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Apologies for this, but I'm really terrible at searching for old threads.

Looking at bringing my parents away later this year, and I remembered that one of you lovely people recommended a particular Greek Island to me some time back.

I thought I'd bookmarked the thread but can't find that either.

I'm really very bright, bless me.

Any tips from the LFW illuminati would be great, thanks.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Greek Islands on 16:43 - Jan 4 with 5612 viewsMick_S

Hotel or Villa/self accommodation, Brian?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Greek Islands on 16:46 - Jan 4 with 5603 viewsT_Block

Personal favourite , Amorous in the Cyclades.Stay in the port.
Amazing monastery on a rock face.Have to walk up a few steps to get there though
Greek Islands on 17:12 - Jan 4 with 5537 viewsngbqpr

Can't beat the Cyclades imho.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Greek Islands on 17:15 - Jan 4 with 5528 viewsqpr_1968

my favourite island. where they filmed captain corells mandalin.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Greek Islands on 17:18 - Jan 4 with 5513 viewsqpr_1968

but this is my favourite beach.....in zakynthos/zante.

stayed at the sirrocco hotel.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Greek Islands on 17:42 - Jan 4 with 5469 viewsloftboy

Doing my 6th visit to Rhodes this year, stay at the same family run hotel, has a huge pool, not near the beach though, a few decent tavernas and restaurants in the nearby village of pastida.
Hire a car and explore , can do the whole island in a day, get on the main road to lindos and there a huge variety of beaches and coves, faliraki is still busy but not the party town it used to be thanks to a huge clampdown.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Greek Islands on 18:04 - Jan 4 with 5415 viewsR_from_afar

The south coast of Crete is very nice, it's cheap, sunny, quiet and very picturesque, particularly Matala, which is built round a cove with a Roman necropolis on one side. In May, you can sunbathe in warm temperatures and gaze across the bay at snow-capped mountains.

The island is easy to drive around and there are lots of archaeological sites and other sites of historical significance to visit, as well as great walks and unusual wildlife.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Greek Islands on 18:25 - Jan 4 with 5372 viewshantssi

Personally loved Thassos when I went there.
Very quiet, lovely beaches, small enough to explore either by car or bus.
Login to get fewer ads

Greek Islands on 18:44 - Jan 4 with 5326 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Greek Islands on 16:43 - Jan 4 by Mick_S

Hotel or Villa/self accommodation, Brian?

Haven't really planned that far ahead, Mick! I'm easy either way, but I'll go with whatever they want to do.

Some great tips there folks. Thanks a million.

Greek Islands on 19:05 - Jan 4 with 5261 viewsMick_S

Greek Islands on 18:25 - Jan 4 by hantssi

Personally loved Thassos when I went there.
Very quiet, lovely beaches, small enough to explore either by car or bus.

Waspos !!!

Greek Islands on 19:10 - Jan 4 with 5245 viewsPaddyhoops

Went to a place in Corfu called Agios Gorgios about 20 years ago.
Small village but enough taverna's and quality restaurants to keep you happy.
Ideal if you want a quiet holiday.
It can get stiflingly hot in high season so if you're not into that,early to mid June is better.
Corfu is a spectacular Island from a scenic point of view and we'll worth a visit.
Greek Islands on 19:13 - Jan 4 with 5237 viewsessextaxiboy

Keffalonia....just thinking about booking it again
Greek Islands on 19:26 - Jan 4 with 5219 viewsMick_S

Greek Islands on 18:44 - Jan 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Haven't really planned that far ahead, Mick! I'm easy either way, but I'll go with whatever they want to do.

Some great tips there folks. Thanks a million.

Of course not, mate, but I have a place in mind! I’ve mentioned Kalami, north east Corfu before on here. The one main hotel there - San Antonio Resort is very hilly so wouldn’t be ideal for some, but there is plenty of low level accommodation in and around the beach. It’s a very small village; 3 tavernas on the beach and a few others around the peninsula - all accessible by water taxis. My Dad was Greek and we did well for holidays over there - this is the best place I’ve ever been to in Greece. I can’t really do it justice but there is a vibe there that everybody mentions - people return year after year after year.

We were there 2019. Hope it hasn’t changed too much.

Greek Islands on 19:33 - Jan 4 with 5207 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Greek Islands on 19:26 - Jan 4 by Mick_S

Of course not, mate, but I have a place in mind! I’ve mentioned Kalami, north east Corfu before on here. The one main hotel there - San Antonio Resort is very hilly so wouldn’t be ideal for some, but there is plenty of low level accommodation in and around the beach. It’s a very small village; 3 tavernas on the beach and a few others around the peninsula - all accessible by water taxis. My Dad was Greek and we did well for holidays over there - this is the best place I’ve ever been to in Greece. I can’t really do it justice but there is a vibe there that everybody mentions - people return year after year after year.

We were there 2019. Hope it hasn’t changed too much.

Looks amazing, Mick.

I'll add it to the research list.

Greek Islands on 19:44 - Jan 4 with 5172 viewsMick_S

Greek Islands on 19:33 - Jan 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Looks amazing, Mick.

I'll add it to the research list.

We were returning for our 30th wedding anniversary but the plague struck. First place we are going back to. Pm if you want any help because I’ll bore people on here. Don’t start.

One more thing - Zammo was on our flight home.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 19:45]

Greek Islands on 19:50 - Jan 4 with 5160 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Greek Islands on 19:44 - Jan 4 by Mick_S

We were returning for our 30th wedding anniversary but the plague struck. First place we are going back to. Pm if you want any help because I’ll bore people on here. Don’t start.

One more thing - Zammo was on our flight home.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 19:45]

I will. Thanks Mick. You're a Gent.

Greek Islands on 20:06 - Jan 4 with 5125 viewsGuppy

Ive been going to Greece for 40 years loved most places but favorite island is Skiathos - if you speak to more or less anyone there its their umpteenth year going something about the place that keeps drawing you back
Greek Islands on 20:49 - Jan 4 with 5058 viewsdistortR

Brian, have you thought of bringing them to the IOM?

Golden beaches with shit slicks; chips, cheese and gravy; heritage railways; second highest covid rates in Europe; guaranteed non-drought conditions; a wheel that keeps turning, turning, turning; dislike of foreigners; smashing wrens to pieces on boxing day; black-eye fridays; nepotism; in-breeding; inn-breeding; over 100 years of deadly races; friendly prisons; cheap prescriptions and expensive drugs; and the deal breaker is that I could invest your parents nest egg in our tax-free environment and help give me the retirement I believe I deserve.
Greek Islands on 21:41 - Jan 4 with 4970 viewsMick_S

Greek Islands on 20:49 - Jan 4 by distortR

Golden beaches with shit slicks; chips, cheese and gravy; heritage railways; second highest covid rates in Europe; guaranteed non-drought conditions; a wheel that keeps turning, turning, turning; dislike of foreigners; smashing wrens to pieces on boxing day; black-eye fridays; nepotism; in-breeding; inn-breeding; over 100 years of deadly races; friendly prisons; cheap prescriptions and expensive drugs; and the deal breaker is that I could invest your parents nest egg in our tax-free environment and help give me the retirement I believe I deserve.

Greek Islands on 01:39 - Jan 5 with 4810 viewsBoston

Greek Islands on 20:49 - Jan 4 by distortR

And they say the Manx have no tales.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Greek Islands on 04:13 - Jan 5 with 4796 viewsrbee

Depending on the time of year that you go you can get some great deals on private villas. Islands such as Lefkas have an abundance of properties.

Islands such as Amorgos are beautiful but are remote and limited in facilities
Greek Islands on 07:13 - Jan 5 with 4744 viewsdistortR

Greek Islands on 21:41 - Jan 4 by Mick_S

Ah, the lovely Judith in front of the ancient pyramids of Foxdale.
Greek Islands on 10:04 - Jan 5 with 4616 viewsLythamR

Greek Islands on 18:04 - Jan 4 by R_from_afar

The south coast of Crete is very nice, it's cheap, sunny, quiet and very picturesque, particularly Matala, which is built round a cove with a Roman necropolis on one side. In May, you can sunbathe in warm temperatures and gaze across the bay at snow-capped mountains.

The island is easy to drive around and there are lots of archaeological sites and other sites of historical significance to visit, as well as great walks and unusual wildlife.

Another vote for Crete, its got everything in abundance, scenery, architecture, history and diversity of cultures. If you want a quiet beach holiday there are plenty of options, ditto if you want to party, but there is so much more if the fancy takes you.

its also very easy to get to directly without ferry transfers etc
Greek Islands on 10:14 - Jan 5 with 4594 viewsterryb

I'm another one for Kefalonia. The tiny fishing village of Assos is one of the most beatiful that I've seen, but basically I could stay anywhere on the island apart from Kefalonia Town.
Greek Islands on 17:14 - Jan 5 with 4430 viewsKerryE

My favourite is Paros, Naousa Town is fantastic. Been there loads of times. Its slightly more awkward to get to as no direct flights from UK.
Stay a couple of nights in Athens then get the internal flight if you don't fancy ferries.

You can't beat Greek Island hopping!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024