Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lockdown book thread - 14:46 - Jan 18 with 4499 viewsjoe90

I thought it might be a nice to have a book thread where we share what we've been reading and to use as reference point for anyone looking for inspiration for their next read.

To kick things off...

1: London Review of Books -

I've got a yearly subscription. It's long-form journalism, covers a broad range of topics. If you enjoy current affairs and want something more substantial than what you get in the papers go for it.

2: Long Walk to Freedom - Nelson Mandela

I've been meaning to read this for a long time. My wife bought it for me for Christmas. Despite it's length, it's very readable and seems to have been written to suit a broad range of reading abilities.

3: Waterlog - Roger Deakin

A non fiction journal about outdoor swimming in the UK.
Lockdown book thread - on 15:03 - Jan 26 with 991 viewsblacky200

I thought at the start of lockdown I would make a start on the Jack Reacher series. They're ok to kill a few hours of easy reading. Not much brain power needed. Got through all 25 of them.
Lockdown book thread - on 15:10 - Jan 26 with 979 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Lockdown book thread - on 15:03 - Jan 26 by blacky200

I thought at the start of lockdown I would make a start on the Jack Reacher series. They're ok to kill a few hours of easy reading. Not much brain power needed. Got through all 25 of them.

25 in a few hours?

Jeez...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Lockdown book thread - on 15:18 - Jan 26 with 968 viewsQPRSteve

Been reading a lot of crime fiction over the last year and have struck a good seam of Australian writers.

I can recommend:

Emma Visik
Jane Harper
Chris Hamer
Gart Disher

All very good reads.

Can any of our Aussie based people recommend any other writers?
Lockdown book thread - on 15:50 - Jan 26 with 956 viewsrobith

Lockdown book thread - on 10:29 - Jan 26 by Esox_Lucius

Just after Xmas I began re-reading Steven Erikson's Malazan: Book Of The Fallen. I have read many thousands of books in my lifetime but this ranks right up there for an absorbing escape from real life. It took me a year last time to read all 10 books but I am hoping to do it in half that time with lockdown. I can also recommend anything Stephen Donaldson has ever written. I knew they were good books when I started getting angry at the main character for his lack of decisiveness in the White Gold Wielder trilogies.

So I read Gardens of the Moon in 2019 and it just left me totally bewildered.

However last year I read Deadhouse Gates, reading the Malazan wiki chapter summaries after each one and really enjoyed it - the ending was bloody traumatising though!

At current rate I will complete the Boook of the Fallen in 2028
Lockdown book thread - on 15:54 - Jan 26 with 943 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Lockdown book thread - on 15:50 - Jan 26 by robith

However last year I read Deadhouse Gates, reading the Malazan wiki chapter summaries after each one and really enjoyed it - the ending was bloody traumatising though!

'Deadhouse Gates' is one of the finest war books ever written.

I'm re-reading 1-10 at work and currently on No.5 'Midnight Tides'.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 15:56]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Lockdown book thread - on 15:56 - Jan 26 with 936 viewsEsox_Lucius

Lockdown book thread - on 15:50 - Jan 26 by robith

I have just read through the first few chapters of Memories of Ice after taking a days break from finishing Deadhouse Gates. Definitely not a series that you can rip through is it? At one point my Kindle informed me that I had 40 hours 12 minutes left in the book.

The grass is always greener.

Lockdown book thread - on 17:39 - Jan 26 with 888 viewshantssi

Lockdown book thread - on 15:10 - Jan 26 by BrianMcCarthy

25 in a few hours?

Jeez...

To be fair Brian it’s the same story with the names and locations changed!
Tom Cruise was a good choice to play a 6’5” man!!
Lockdown book thread - on 17:52 - Jan 26 with 880 viewsrobith

Lockdown book thread - on 15:56 - Jan 26 by Esox_Lucius

I have just read through the first few chapters of Memories of Ice after taking a days break from finishing Deadhouse Gates. Definitely not a series that you can rip through is it? At one point my Kindle informed me that I had 40 hours 12 minutes left in the book.

I regret stacking them on my kindle whenever I see them on sale - I find longer books much easier to read in a real book.

Sense of achievement when Malazan ticks over 1% is crushing
Login to get fewer ads

Lockdown book thread - on 18:59 - Jan 26 with 862 viewstraininvain

Really enjoyed the Cartel / Power of the Dog trilogy by Don Winslow. All about the cartels in Mexico.

Think I heard they’re making a tv series based upon the books.
Lockdown book thread - on 21:19 - Jan 26 with 827 viewsqueensparker

Lockdown book thread - on 18:59 - Jan 26 by traininvain

Really enjoyed the Cartel / Power of the Dog trilogy by Don Winslow. All about the cartels in Mexico.

Think I heard they’re making a tv series based upon the books.

Another vote for these - an incredible series!
Lockdown book thread - on 20:15 - Feb 2 with 728 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Started this yesterday and just finished it. It's a murder mystery but has gorgeous imagery of swamplands in North Carolina and a lovely tale of a young girl fighting against a cruel upbringing. Beautiful book.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024