Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 102802 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 17:12 - Sep 13 with 1558 viewsflynnbo

Loving the cricket. Front row of middle tier of pavilion in glorious sunshine and a few beers 🍺
Ashes thread on 17:12 - Sep 13 with 1558 viewsrunningman75

Hopefully Curran and Pope both part of the future test teams. Both 21 years old I think a bit like a QPR side being built around Eze and Chair.
Ashes thread on 18:37 - Sep 13 with 1496 viewsCamberleyR

Another shocker of a decision rightfully overturned on review. Don't know what the umpire was watching but in real time it was pitching miles outside leg.

Great day for England today.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 18:43 - Sep 13 with 1487 viewsRangersw12

Ashes thread on 11:45 - Sep 13 by Nov77

I make that the third time this series Warner has nicked one behind and not walked.
Remember all the abuse the Aussies gave Broad for doing it once?

They openly support cheats so they're not going to care if one of theirs doesn't walk
Ashes thread on 18:45 - Sep 13 with 1482 viewsRangersw12

A very good day for England

We should win it from here but with the Aussie bowling attack you never know !

two very evenly matched teams
Ashes thread on 18:56 - Sep 13 with 1469 viewstoboboly

Ashes thread on 18:43 - Sep 13 by Rangersw12

They openly support cheats so they're not going to care if one of theirs doesn't walk

According to TMS Warner admitted to Ponting that he knew he had nicked it.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 20:29 - Sep 13 with 1436 viewsBlackCrowe

Just back. And off to bed.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes thread on 21:19 - Sep 13 with 2416 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 15:12 - Sep 9 by thame_hoops

why isn't curran being given a go, he was excellent against india

Bump

Left arm fast is so difficult to play against, seems England wanted as many of the one day team in the test team
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 03:01 - Sep 14 with 2333 viewstimcocking

Great stuff...
Ashes thread on 03:23 - Sep 14 with 2339 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 21:19 - Sep 13 by thame_hoops

Bump

Left arm fast is so difficult to play against, seems England wanted as many of the one day team in the test team

I actually really rate Sam Curran, although I wish he’d moderate his “biff every ball” attitude a bit when it comes to Tests. But to describe him as “left-arm fast” is surely stretching it a bit?
Ashes thread on 08:26 - Sep 14 with 2295 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 20:29 - Sep 13 by BlackCrowe

Just back. And off to bed.

Good day today at the Oval.Only frustration was the extra 35 runs for the 9th wicket.
I’ll be there again today in the front row of the peter may stand with my qpr shirt on.
I might stay all day or leave at the lunch break and go to see us beat Loseton,or I might be there all day.
Decisions,decisions.
Ashes thread on 10:13 - Sep 14 with 2249 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 03:23 - Sep 14 by johnhoop

I actually really rate Sam Curran, although I wish he’d moderate his “biff every ball” attitude a bit when it comes to Tests. But to describe him as “left-arm fast” is surely stretching it a bit?

Medium fast? 😜
Ashes thread on 19:56 - Sep 14 with 2161 viewsBlackCrowe

Just back and need to go to bed again.

Stow - was it you in the Rangers shirt waving a mask at weaselface Lyon when he came to field in front of PM stand?

Ashes thread on 22:55 - Sep 14 with 2123 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 19:56 - Sep 14 by BlackCrowe

Just back and need to go to bed again.

Stow - was it you in the Rangers shirt waving a mask at weaselface Lyon when he came to field in front of PM stand?

That was me mate.I left at lunch and went to the football and managed to get back about 5.45.
I wanted him to sign my steve Smith mask but he wasn’t listening.
Ashes thread on 23:27 - Sep 14 with 2093 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 22:55 - Sep 14 by stowmarketrange

That was me mate.I left at lunch and went to the football and managed to get back about 5.45.

And he wouldn't sign it? Bastard!

At least you had two pretty good days in one.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 23:34 - Sep 14 with 2092 viewsthame_hoops

I’m all for banter and winding players up, and I don’t like Lyon BUT my dad was at headingley and said the abuse Lyon got from a corner of the ground was shocking. Whilst fielding close to the boundary, England fans Singing about his wife being a Sl*g and him being a Pae*do, what’s wrong with people?
Ashes thread on 23:52 - Sep 14 with 2067 viewsnix

Ashes thread on 22:55 - Sep 14 by stowmarketrange

I went in the morning, left at lunch, saw the first half of QPR match with my son and then he went back to the test match at 60 minutes. We felt we'd got good value out of our ticket.

Really good atmosphere at the Oval and the best I've seen it at HQ for years in the first half. If only we'd capitalised on our good start, the roof would have come off.
Ashes thread on 05:16 - Sep 15 with 2022 viewsswisscottage

Agree with you, it was a shame.

I don't know what it is, but I find the Oval crowd severely lacking in imagination when compared to the likes of Old Trafford, Trent Bridge and especially Headingley.

Maybe its the Chav element from that area of London thinking its a fun day out to go hurling that sort of abuse without getting shivved as a consequence .... and that's coming from a Londoner.
Ashes thread on 05:40 - Sep 15 with 2003 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 05:16 - Sep 15 by swisscottage

Agree with you, it was a shame.

I don't know what it is, but I find the Oval crowd severely lacking in imagination when compared to the likes of Old Trafford, Trent Bridge and especially Headingley.

Maybe its the Chav element from that area of London thinking its a fun day out to go hurling that sort of abuse without getting shivved as a consequence .... and that's coming from a Londoner.

Well then, as a Londoner, you'll be pleased that the report of ott banter from thame_hoop's dad was from Headingley.

But you heard similar at the Oval?

Ashes thread on 07:03 - Sep 15 with 1972 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 05:40 - Sep 15 by isawqpratwcity

Well then, as a Londoner, you'll be pleased that the report of ott banter from thame_hoop's dad was from Headingley.

But you heard similar at the Oval?

He did take a fair bit of stick last night but I never heard anything that could be described as offensive.
Most popular seemed to be a rendition of “in the jungle,the mighty jungle,the Lyon drops the ball.”
I was in Oz for the last ashes series and I heard a lot worse from the locals to our players,so it seems fair to be giving it back.But I don’t think it should cross the line into real personal abuse though.
But there is an awful lot of alcohol drunk during 7-8 hours of a day’s cricket and some people go way too far.

I did meet a few rangers fans in the ground yesterday and most didn’t leave for the football,which is fair enough if you’ve paid £100+ for your ticket.
Here’s to another good day today and a much needed victory.
Come on England.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 7:05]
Ashes thread on 07:24 - Sep 15 with 1951 viewsBlackCrowe

Ashes thread on 07:03 - Sep 15 by stowmarketrange

He did take a fair bit of stick last night but I never heard anything that could be described as offensive.
Most popular seemed to be a rendition of “in the jungle,the mighty jungle,the Lyon drops the ball.”
I was in Oz for the last ashes series and I heard a lot worse from the locals to our players,so it seems fair to be giving it back.But I don’t think it should cross the line into real personal abuse though.
But there is an awful lot of alcohol drunk during 7-8 hours of a day’s cricket and some people go way too far.

I did meet a few rangers fans in the ground yesterday and most didn’t leave for the football,which is fair enough if you’ve paid £100+ for your ticket.
Come on England.

We dabbled with the idea of hotfooting it over to W12 and back after the game. The weather and batting and refreshments put paid to that. Enjoy your day there today mate. 3 days on the trot and i feel very beaten up indeed.

Ashes thread on 09:23 - Sep 15 with 1903 viewsswisscottage

I have in the past .. but I stand to be corrected in this thread. I misread the original post.. thinking it was referring to the Oval.

Just plain disappointed it comes from anywhere over here as I tend to think this thing is more atypical of an Aussie crowd and I prefer to hold the English crowds to a higher standard than our colonial friends :).
Ashes thread on 09:25 - Sep 15 with 1898 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 07:03 - Sep 15 by stowmarketrange

Come on England.

Nah, you're right. The line between witty and ott can be blurred after a few bevvies in the hot sun.

I can't see anything but an England win here. I just heard today that the Aussies "got drunk, really drunk, just three days before the last [i.e. fifth] test" [Paul Kennedy, ABC Offsiders], so it sounds like the series has already been decided as far as some are concerned.

Not that I thought that the Aussies weren't trying yesterday, more that the slow progress wasn't bothering them that much.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2019 13:25]

Ashes thread on 09:31 - Sep 15 with 1891 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 09:23 - Sep 15 by swisscottage

I have in the past .. but I stand to be corrected in this thread. I misread the original post.. thinking it was referring to the Oval.

Just plain disappointed it comes from anywhere over here as I tend to think this thing is more atypical of an Aussie crowd and I prefer to hold the English crowds to a higher standard than our colonial friends :).

"...as I tend to think this thing is more atypical of an Aussie crowd..."

"atypical"? You're really not helping yourself, are you?

Ashes thread on 13:54 - Sep 15 with 1801 viewsswisscottage

Ashes thread on 09:31 - Sep 15 by isawqpratwcity

"...as I tend to think this thing is more atypical of an Aussie crowd..."

"atypical"? You're really not helping yourself, are you?

I claim no sleep and too much alcohol
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024