Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 04:44 - Jun 28 with 2253 views18StoneOfHoop

A great soul man.

An excellent BBC4 documentary - serves as a fitting tribute:
[Post edited 28 Jun 2014 5:58]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

R.I.P. Bobby Womack on 05:41 - Jun 28 with 2229 viewswestberksr

Oh shit, that is devastating news. Been listening to him for ever and even squeezed one of his few 'happy' songs for the first dance at my wedding.

Great singer, songwriter and performer.

Last work with Damon Albarn produced a really interesting album, bringing the sound right up to date whilst retaining the soul.

RIP The Poet
[Post edited 28 Jun 2014 5:44]
R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 07:33 - Jun 28 with 2176 viewsLblock

One of my favourite records ever
Will always remind me of Magaluff in 1988 and a classic story which does the rounds with my lot

RIP Bobby

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 08:15 - Jun 28 with 2148 viewswestberksr

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 07:33 - Jun 28 by Lblock

Will always remind me of Magaluff in 1988 and a classic story which does the rounds with my lot

RIP Bobby

That's his brother, great tune though.

Bobby married Sam Cooke' s widow and his brother married the daughter; close families!
R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 08:40 - Jun 28 with 2136 viewsYorkRanger

Tragedy. Poet 2 remains one of the great albums of all time.

If I knew how to post it I would but no matter how high I get with Welton Felder is possibly my all time favourite record - awesome

Sad day
R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 08:46 - Jun 28 with 2126 viewsDiscodroid

If your an old GIT like me, bobby womack got you through theose long hot summer nights when we had little else but five starr, debarge and col abrahams
FROM EAST LONDON BOBBY RIP.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2014 8:58]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 08:55 - Jun 28 with 2116 viewsCamberleyR

The Poet and Poet II are two of all time favourite albums ever. They were a brilliant "comeback" after his well known drug problems in the late 70s.
Saw him a couple of times in '84 and '85 at the Hammersmith Odeon and both concerts were some of the best I've ever seen, he was a genius performer live.

This IMO was one of his finest from his classic early 70s period.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 08:59 - Jun 28 with 2107 viewswestberksr

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 08:40 - Jun 28 by YorkRanger

Tragedy. Poet 2 remains one of the great albums of all time.

If I knew how to post it I would but no matter how high I get with Welton Felder is possibly my all time favourite record - awesome

Sad day

They played 'no matter' on solar this morning, brought a lump to the throat.

Fantastic song, here's for you York

from his last album, you can almost feel the pain of life in his voice

and the one I threw the Mrs around to on that fateful day, with Patti Labelle. Bobby always had an eye for fashion; saw him at Hammersmith Odeon in Leather trousers and leopard print boots, dig the suit in this video

also gave this lot their first number 1

[Post edited 28 Jun 2014 9:42]
R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 09:25 - Jun 28 with 2077 viewswestberksr

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 08:46 - Jun 28 by Discodroid

If your an old GIT like me, bobby womack got you through theose long hot summer nights when we had little else but five starr, debarge and col abrahams
FROM EAST LONDON BOBBY RIP.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2014 8:58]

we're exactly the same vintage Disco; the likes of Bobby never got the commercial recognition but kept me sane when mates were listening to the shit you mentioned and similar Jacko wannabees.
Login to get fewer ads

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 09:27 - Jun 28 with 2075 viewscalders

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 09:25 - Jun 28 by westberksr

we're exactly the same vintage Disco; the likes of Bobby never got the commercial recognition but kept me sane when mates were listening to the shit you mentioned and similar Jacko wannabees.

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 10:18 - Jun 28 with 2041 viewsFearless

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 08:55 - Jun 28 by CamberleyR

The Poet and Poet II are two of all time favourite albums ever. They were a brilliant "comeback" after his well known drug problems in the late 70s.
Saw him a couple of times in '84 and '85 at the Hammersmith Odeon and both concerts were some of the best I've ever seen, he was a genius performer live.

This IMO was one of his finest from his classic early 70s period.

I was there too
R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 12:43 - Jun 28 with 1982 viewsloftboy

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 07:33 - Jun 28 by Lblock

RIP Bobby

Those videos which are filmed whilst recording are always the most natural and the best.

Rip Bobby

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 13:23 - Jun 28 with 1955 viewsYorkRanger

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 08:59 - Jun 28 by westberksr

They played 'no matter' on solar this morning, brought a lump to the throat.

Fantastic song, here's for you York

from his last album, you can almost feel the pain of life in his voice

and the one I threw the Mrs around to on that fateful day, with Patti Labelle. Bobby always had an eye for fashion; saw him at Hammersmith Odeon in Leather trousers and leopard print boots, dig the suit in this video

also gave this lot their first number 1

[Post edited 28 Jun 2014 9:42]

Quality thx. I've got the Wilton Felder album somewhere that it's on - think it's called Secrets - great album in its own right
R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 15:28 - Jun 28 with 1932 viewsCamberleyR

Inherit The Wind was another great track. This was his actual comeback (although not credited as a vocalist) as he was persona non grata in the late 70s.
Soon after came the classic "The Poet" LP.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 15:55 - Jun 28 with 1921 viewsLblock

Ian Dee played a six song medley tribute this morning and it was sheer class

He finished with this one.
I remember putting this on and sitting in my Mum and Dad's garden one lovely sunny Sunday morning just after I'd got in from an Energy rave at around 10.00am
A totally different vibe to the mad night I'd had but captured that weekend beautifully (apart from the fact I fell asleep and got badly sunburnt!!)

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 16:09 - Jun 28 with 1916 viewsMonahoop

Very sad. They don't make the likes of him any more. RIP

There aint half been some clever bastards.

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 16:35 - Jun 28 with 1898 viewswood_hoop

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 16:09 - Jun 28 by Monahoop

Very sad. They don't make the likes of him any more. RIP

They certainly don't, as a very ancient 'soul boy' the passing of these great artists is such a shame, so many memories come flooding back of my days living & breathing purely for those nights where you could be totaly wrapped and lost in the sounds produced.

R.I.P
R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 20:29 - Jun 28 with 1854 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Up there with very greatest soul giants. Will be making a Bobby playlist for tomorrow's travels.

RIP.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 22:40 - Jun 28 with 1821 viewsCiderwithRsie

One of the greats, and still very much on form right up to his death. Sadly missed
R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 17:39 - Jul 1 with 1721 viewsTacticalR

Thanks 18StoneOfHoop, that BBC4 documentary you posted is great. Well worth spending an hour watching.

My thoughts on the documentary. Although the gospel church itself was shown to be completely bogus, it was still the root of a lot of great music. Sam Cooke and later Bobby Womack got out of there asap, but still had their roots in gospel. Womack later mixed with all kinds of musicians from Dusty Springfield to Janis Joplin to Sly Stone and tried all kinds of musical styles. Although he was blown out by the rise of disco at the end of the seventies, I think he'd already taken a wrong turn after 'Across 110th Street', with his slower R&B stuff that strikes me as the root of a lot of the dire R&B sound that is around today.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2014 17:39]

Air hostess clique

R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 19:05 - Jul 1 with 1709 viewsLofthope

I owned every Womack album right up to the MCA ones except for that first 'Fly me to the Moon' one. I've seen Womack live several times back in the day and would class myself as a fan.
But let's be honest here, he was a bit arrogant, could be rude and until the Poet Albums, despite some world class tracks, his albums were patchy.
Back in the day I could not listen all the way through those albums on United Artists, I had to put the decent tracks on cassettes and compile my own Bobby Womack compilations.
I can't comment on the early part of his career as I only owned singles like 'Lookin' For a Love', 'It's all over Now' and 'What is This' on British releases (Soul City and Jay Boy if I recall).
No doubt he made some of my favourite records, but he was a bit 'hit and miss' until The Poet....sorry Bobby, but 'That's The Way I Feel about Cha'
R.I.P. Bobby Womack 1944-2014 on 20:17 - Jul 1 with 1691 viewsElHoop

The Stones' 'It's all over now' is one of the oldest singles i own even if well before my time but Jeez he had a life. I found out he'd died yesterday morning wen I saw his Telegraph obituary and he certainly knew what complications were:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/music-obituaries/1

'Womack’s efforts at comforting Cooke’s widow, Barbara, resulted in them marrying three months after the singer’s death, angering Cooke’s friends who felt that Womack was exploiting a grieving widow. Womack insisted that the match had started at her instigation, and it was Barbara who put up the money to pay for Womack’s first solo recordings for the Chess label. But the marriage was to end catastrophically when she discovered he was having an affair with her teenage daughter, Linda, obliging Womack to beat a hasty retreat from the family home at the end of the barrel of a gun. Linda, in turn, would go on to marry Womack’s younger brother, Cecil, thus leaving Womack in the possibly unique position of having been the same woman’s stepfather, lover, and brother-in-law in short order.'
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024