Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 15:33 - Aug 24 with 18093 viewsBlackCrowe

Definitely entertaining and frustrating in equal measure.
Thought Dembele looks a real find. Saito wasn't on the pace today. Frey was excellent - superb energy levels. Celar fairly anonymous again and should've scored.
Their keeper kept them in the game but our strikers just don't attack the crosses in enough.
Think we've got the making of a very exciting team though.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Just back on 19:31 - Aug 24 with 3411 viewsOxfordHoops

Agreed 4 of us all mentioned Field, Dunne and Dembele had good games, for me Dunne who’s Motm, outstanding display of energy and quality back and forwards, unlucky not to get on the score board today. Another day we win by 3 or 4, it’s a new frontline and they need a little time to gel, Marti is beginning to get a decent group of young players together. We will get a few frustrating results this season but we will also get some very good results and exiting games.
Onwards and upwards.
Just back on 19:36 - Aug 24 with 3380 viewsMalintabuk

Just back on 17:13 - Aug 24 by Lanhoop

Yeah, agreed. Second half Field was first class.

Totally agree and he was brilliant due to Paal moving in DM which allowed Field to play further forward
Still for me Field is possibly the most influential player we have, and have had for the past couple of years
Just back on 19:57 - Aug 24 with 3264 viewsSpaceman_P

Just back on 17:53 - Aug 24 by LazyFan

Nardi 5:
He should have saved that goal. Yes, it was in the corner, but it was way out. He needs to wise up that in the Champ, they will have a go from anywhere. Bit slow on the pass out from the back.

Dunne 6:
Decent against their winger Cissoko, who was also decent himself.

Cook 6:
Decent performance against Hardie who does very tricky runs and is very slippery.

JCS 5:
A bit poor really. Got turned a few times even before his yellow. Although, unlike Colback, his yellow was a proper tactical foul, so I quite like that yellow. Also was out of position a few time when the oppo did through balls which Hardie almost got through on with a better ball he would have done. His poor performance made it hard for the rest of the defence to settle.

Paal 6:
Better than recent games, was tougher in the tackle. Also, when they went down to ten came inside (probably on Martis orders) to push up which was effective.

Field 6:
It was a decent enough performance, but he was at fault for the goal. Tackled well, positions were good. Helped protect the defence as JCS was out of sorts.

Madsen 6:
Decent start, simple balls through and the oppo found it hard to get it off him. However, he does not help Field out in the tackle enough and so we can be vulnerable to counters. Dropped in the deep end so, he could improve and then we shall have a very good player.

Smyth 6:
Played well, but no final end product. Pushed Mumba back as usually he's a danger man for Plymouth. Needs to link up with Dembele more, if they can get over the right side and link up properly, teams will be in trouble.

Dembele 7:
Our MoM, great skill, really frightened the oppo and keeps the ball well. Crossing was excellent and he got another assist. If he starts scoring we can start singing "Dembele's too good for you, Dembele's too good for you". Now where have we heard that before?
Faded in the second half when the oppo dropped deep.

Saito 4:
Oh dear, really bad. Started off well and then gave the ball away too many times. He did not protect Paal either, lucky Paal had a decent game.
Saito could not hold onto the ball at all. Hooked at half-time. I have a feeling that he might not be at the same level as Dembele. After this performance I would not let Kolli go on loan as we shall need him if Chair is not around.

Frey 5:
He scored, and he played well. He goes into the correct positions and most of the time retains the ball (not always).
But why only 5? Well, he's too slow. You can see it in the press, Dykes who is not exactly fast, will press the ball and sometimes nick it off them. But Frey is so slow, he's nowhere close to getting the ball off them. So, you will see him charge them down as he should, making the correct play, but he will never get there in time to actually win it even if the oppo make a mistake. He has the skill, he's just too slow and therefore, unless it's a corner whereby pace is not needed and the oppo makes a mistake, he won't really threaten to score. This lack of pace also means he cannot keep up with Smyth and Dembele when they race down the wings, which is why they cannot find him, have to pull it back and then cross it. By which time the oppo defence have reset. If he could somehow become note 1 but 2 yards faster, then he would score loads, but that's why he plays at QPR; he's slow.

Subs:
Varane 5:
Good positions and can use the ball, but I see what people have said about the tackle or 50/50 ball. He shirks it. This is worrying as its done by design, he needs to put his foot in. This was the game to do it. You are on as a sub against 10 men, put your foot in. After 2 tackles if you get a yellow, fair enough, then take less risks. But he played like he was on a yellow and his last ref warning. No bottle.

Celar 5:
Hes not up to speed and also he's not a hold up player. He is a breakaway striker. Find him in the box and he will slip it in. Snatched at his chances today, hopefully he will get better. But the rest of the team will still have to work it to him.

Kholli 6:
Came on and started to take command of the left-hand side. Wanted the ball and wanted to play it forward. But was in too late to make an impact.

I am only guessing, but in the cup, I suspect Marti will play Celar (for Frey) and Saito, which means in the league he will start Kholli. Varane will also come in for Field. EBD will come in for Dembele.

We need Chair back with a good back as he needs to start carrying us on his back again.
A Chair back is better no back.

don't really get why this has been downvoted.

should be upvoted +5 just for the Chair puns at the end.
Just back on 20:02 - Aug 24 with 3234 viewsstevec

Same old problem of not knowing how to break a team down with men behind the ball.

Quite primitive football second half, might as well not bothered having a left side, just channelled everything through Smyth and Dunne.

Dembele is clearly a class footballer. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing in a QPR shirt but my immediate thought then was, how quick can we bring him down to our level. Not long as it turned out.

We move the ball too slow. When you’ve got a player like Dembele you set up to feed him the ball early. After 15 minutes we never fed him the ball once where he could do damage. That’s particularly on centre midfield. I’m worried we are so incapable of one touch football that this little gem is going to find himself wasted.

Thought all their keepers saves were routine for any reasonable keeper. A lot of work to do.
Just back on 20:19 - Aug 24 with 3131 viewsandrew1302

I am at a loss as to how people thought Smyth was good. Personally I thought he was absolutely dreadful. Missed chances,tackles passes. Looks good around the halfway line and then useless. I would have given him a 2 and a 9 for side slapping every time he messed up. And did you see him at the end kneeling down hitting the turf. I think he knew he played really badly.
Just back on 20:32 - Aug 24 with 3066 viewsdmm

Today's team has been thrown together over the last week or so and despite that, I saw much that gave real encouragement.

We're in a transition season and need to settle in several key players who have never played in the Championship before.

Our performance warranted a win even though we came up short. We'll play worse this season, and win.

Last season we'd have lost this game. Today PA were really rather fortunate to get the draw.

Patience, my friends. Patience.
Just back on 20:46 - Aug 24 with 2998 viewsHoopstar

Lots of positive signs at the moment. No way this is going to be a side at full strength as they have to get to know each other.

Thought Smyth was OK today. He put in an absolute beaut of a cross second half that nobody got near. He is only ever going to be an impact player at this level and clearly only starting when others are injured/suspended.

I quite liked the look of Madsen having been thrown straight in. He may be one of those players that looks like he is doing less then he us as he is a very languid mover.

Also thought Varane looked decent going forward - another one putting in a gorgeous ball across goal that a striker should dream about.
Just back on 21:16 - Aug 24 with 2876 viewsdavman

I posted up at half time in the match thread that the first half was shocking. It was. Falling back into our own final third into a low block when we started so strongly on the front foot was incredibly frustrating and puzzling. Marti preaches a high press, getting on the front foot at home pushing for a second, but that was the exact opposite. Conceding possession to Plymouth at home was just nuts. They are NOT an awful team, but would have crumbled if we had got the second.

In short, I was disgusted.

The second half was equally frustrating, but quite enjoyable on some level. We certainly pushed and on another day would have won that comfortably. I don't think anyone played badly despite the twiterratti going after Field and Smyth.

We going to be better away from home again, aren't we?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 21:46 - Aug 24 with 2740 viewsBklynRanger

Thought it was a decent performance second half after a great first 10 mins and quite a lot of confused shadow chasing for the rest of the first half.

Saito will need time to adapt, but can. He looked genuinely surprised when approaching the SB before kick off - a bit over awed if anything I thought. And he had Whitaker piling in on top of him when their RB wasn't. A big learning experience that will do him good.

Madsen looked ready to me - he could be a great foil for Chair wherever he is. Dembele quality but maybe a bit more conservative than last week. Should have shot rather than trying to pass it on one clear occasion I thought.

Fine margins when you can't put the ball in the net.
[Post edited 24 Aug 21:48]
Just back on 22:13 - Aug 24 with 2638 viewsHunterhoop

Just back on 21:16 - Aug 24 by davman

I posted up at half time in the match thread that the first half was shocking. It was. Falling back into our own final third into a low block when we started so strongly on the front foot was incredibly frustrating and puzzling. Marti preaches a high press, getting on the front foot at home pushing for a second, but that was the exact opposite. Conceding possession to Plymouth at home was just nuts. They are NOT an awful team, but would have crumbled if we had got the second.

In short, I was disgusted.

The second half was equally frustrating, but quite enjoyable on some level. We certainly pushed and on another day would have won that comfortably. I don't think anyone played badly despite the twiterratti going after Field and Smyth.

We going to be better away from home again, aren't we?

How the hell is anyone going after Field?! He was superb. Hit the post and the keeper made a great save from another header. Did all the dirty work and started almost all out attacks. His ball playing was very good, but the number of blocks and tackles he made was outstanding.

And he was playing with a new boy who was clearly off the pace.
Just back on 22:55 - Aug 24 with 2455 viewsLongsufferingR

I had Field MOM as well. Thought he was very good today. It was our finishing and their keeper that were the difference.

I can't ever remember a game where it was so hard to work out what the referee was going to give for each incident, sometimes with different decisions for two identical incidents just seconds apart. Very frustrating watch.
Just back on 23:03 - Aug 24 with 2403 viewsBoston

Just back on 20:02 - Aug 24 by stevec

Same old problem of not knowing how to break a team down with men behind the ball.

Quite primitive football second half, might as well not bothered having a left side, just channelled everything through Smyth and Dunne.

Dembele is clearly a class footballer. Couldn’t believe what I was seeing in a QPR shirt but my immediate thought then was, how quick can we bring him down to our level. Not long as it turned out.

We move the ball too slow. When you’ve got a player like Dembele you set up to feed him the ball early. After 15 minutes we never fed him the ball once where he could do damage. That’s particularly on centre midfield. I’m worried we are so incapable of one touch football that this little gem is going to find himself wasted.

Thought all their keepers saves were routine for any reasonable keeper. A lot of work to do.

We do appear to be better, faster.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Just back on 23:04 - Aug 24 with 2394 viewsdavman

Just back on 22:13 - Aug 24 by Hunterhoop

How the hell is anyone going after Field?! He was superb. Hit the post and the keeper made a great save from another header. Did all the dirty work and started almost all out attacks. His ball playing was very good, but the number of blocks and tackles he made was outstanding.

And he was playing with a new boy who was clearly off the pace.

Tom, what can I say other than QPR Twitter is an odd place. Had a little spat with a young lad who said that their equaliser was "entirely" down to Field and therefore he was crap.

As I said above, the tendency of Marti's team to retreat after scoring is worrying. It is not what he preaches, but the evidence is there for all to see.

There is clearly improvement to come from this group, but I'd like that first W asap.

All well with you I hope?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Just back on 23:09 - Aug 24 with 2362 viewskensalriser

Thought that was largely an inept bag o' shyte even if Plymouth were a bit better than I hoped they'd be. Too casual after scoring again and for all the dominance in the second half (which should be the case v 10) we looked pretty toothless. Work in progress or not, we can't afford to throw away points like this - only six teams left without a win now.
[Post edited 24 Aug 23:09]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Just back on 23:24 - Aug 24 with 2300 viewsozexile

Only watched on tv here in Oz and it'll be interesting to see him play away from Loftus road. This isn't a criticism but I don't see a box to box midfielder in Madsen.
Just back on 23:28 - Aug 24 with 2295 viewsJigsore

Just back on 16:56 - Aug 24 by Paddyhoops

Dodged a bullet with that penalty shout . Nailed on .
Jimmy Dunne outstanding today .
Another day we could have had 5 .

It did look a penalty to me. However the ref (for all his transgressions otherwise) set his stall out fairly early he was waving away appeals when both players were guilty of pulling each others shirts - fair enough. We ask for consistency and in that specific case we had it.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Just back on 23:28 - Aug 24 with 2295 viewsbaz_qpr

Some times wonder if I was at the same game.

Here is how I saw it.

First 15 minutes electric all the newbys superb some fantastic moves, Should have been 2 up Smyth misses a sitter. Dembele a star in the making

In all my years going to games I know full well that if you score in the first few minutes and dont score the next goal it does not end well. We scored to early, peach of a corner routine

Wayne Rooneys Plymouth were and I know it's quite controversial pretty decent. The two big black guys in midfield were excellent, Whittaker is far too good for this level.

Our 3 small ones with 2 of them being new plus Madsen having two training sessions meant our press was well off, and the defence sat too deep, because a) Hardie's pace and b) Whittaker was taking the isolated Paal to the cleaners.

Madsen was class, yes he hit a couple of slightly off cross field passes, but his ability touch and vision on the short pass was class.

Their goal was a total fluke the slightest of heavy touches from Field 99 /100 that shot goes in the upper loft.

2 Yellows both justified, but I know in all my years going to games that chasing a goal against 10 especially at LR where its narrow and the opposition have something to hold on to is a tough ask

Half time not surprised to see Saito hooked, loved him for the first 15 when he was unplayable should have done better with his chances, drifted out of the game and made some poor passes confidence dropped but they had to do something to help Paal and switched Smyth to the left

2nd half the switch to the now back in vogue 4-4-2 shut Whittaker down and we dominated. I actually thought despite the misses Celar's best half so far, really good movement, got himself into the right places, another day he scores. But you just knew after 60 minutes we were not scoring again. Their keeper made a couple of worldies. We became quite predictable with Smyth being given space and time to cross because .. he can't really it's just the way football goes.

Second red a proper leg breaker.

If the ref does not give the pen for the pollen Frey then no way was there's one.

Lots to be positive about. Especially the new signings, I think areas of concern defensively again, I worry about Nardi never coming for crosses, and scoring from open play. Another day we score 3 or 4

I think Wayne Rooney has a better squad than he has had previously, I think Plymouth will be alright to be honest and deserved their point.
[Post edited 24 Aug 23:32]
Just back on 23:36 - Aug 24 with 2244 viewsbaz_qpr

Just back on 23:24 - Aug 24 by ozexile

Only watched on tv here in Oz and it'll be interesting to see him play away from Loftus road. This isn't a criticism but I don't see a box to box midfielder in Madsen.

I suspect that was because you only see part of it on TV, first half definitely so was moving from in front of the defence into the 10 area and out to the wings. Second half tired and was pushed further forward into more of a crowd of players.

Hang my hat that he will be the best 8 since Faurlin. a proper playmaker
Just back on 23:37 - Aug 24 with 2230 viewsNed_Kennedys

Just back on 23:28 - Aug 24 by Jigsore

It did look a penalty to me. However the ref (for all his transgressions otherwise) set his stall out fairly early he was waving away appeals when both players were guilty of pulling each others shirts - fair enough. We ask for consistency and in that specific case we had it.

Not a penalty: Plymouth player was properly pulling his shirt for a good few seconds before JCS reciprocated.
Just watched it back on Sky.
Just back on 23:57 - Aug 24 with 2176 viewsHAYESBOY

Just back on 16:56 - Aug 24 by Paddyhoops

Dodged a bullet with that penalty shout . Nailed on .
Jimmy Dunne outstanding today .
Another day we could have had 5 .

New rule this year is that if both players are pulling shirts (as was the case) then you no longer give a pen to the attacking side. Decision spot on.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Just back on 04:10 - Aug 25 with 1922 viewsFredManRave

Gotta love the, "Just back" threads, with the vast differing of "expert" opinion.

For example, there's the choice of siding with the Celar was shIte and missed 2/3 chances which your Gran could have put away OR showed his striker qualities by getting himself in good positions, something Dyles hardly ever does, and he'll improve over time.

Same could be applied to Frey. I think they are both "old school" strikers, have the eye for goal, whilst lacking pace, but are still an upgrade on Dykes.

Still, what do I know?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Just back on 08:40 - Aug 25 with 1562 viewsEsox_Lucius

Did anyone else think that Plymouth's equaliser had more than a passing resemblance to "Hoillett into the box, Keogh to Zamora, goal!" about it?

The grass is always greener.

Just back on 08:49 - Aug 25 with 1537 viewsQPunkR

Just back on 08:40 - Aug 25 by Esox_Lucius

Did anyone else think that Plymouth's equaliser had more than a passing resemblance to "Hoillett into the box, Keogh to Zamora, goal!" about it?

No

QPR - "shit but local"

Just back on 09:16 - Aug 25 with 1373 viewsdaveB

Unless it was due to an injury I thought Marti got it wrong taking off Saito for Cellar at half time, we were a bit too direct and reliant on crosses and they dealt with them all well, that Edwards for them was like a machine winning headers

I'd have liked us to try and keep the ball and be a bit more patient, the game was very chaotic at times although saying that we had more than enough chances to win the game.

First half I thought Plymouth were quite good and fully deserved to be level at half time after a brilliant start by us which faded very quickly.
Just back on 09:43 - Aug 25 with 1195 viewsEsox_Lucius

Just back on 08:49 - Aug 25 by QPunkR

No

Watch it again, Field tees him up for the shot with a heavy touch.

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024