Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To protest or not to protest, that is the question 08:32 - May 9 with 5487 viewsPatfromPoole

I think some on here would say that:

1. we are not the most unified of fanbases
2. in this sanitised social-media era, we don’t have the passion to instigate change as was the case towards the end of the Branfoot era.

I would suggest that regardless of the scoreline on Saturday (as we are down whatever happens in the Fulham game) everybody just gets up and walks out in the 76th minute?

76 represents the greatest event in the club’s history and I think is symbolic.

People don’t have to risk bans by invading the pitch. As a visual protest, everybody getting up and leaving is as big an up-yours to club management and players as you can get.

It should even appeal to the Tik Tok fanatic oddballs.

More importantly, it would show that the fans can stand up as one and be unified. That would be something for Sport Republic to seriously worry about.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 21:56 - May 9 with 1496 viewsSouthamptonfan

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 21:50 - May 9 by MytchettSaint

We’ve spent money this season.

I can’t knock SR for that.

Just about every other decision they’ve got wrong.

I sat in the dell after games, stood in the car park there calling for Branfoot to go, in the end it was 9000 home crowds where people said enough is enough that did for him.

If people stood outside St Mary’s I’m sure the smug gits would look out and smirk. Having to look around a sparsely populated ground would make them feel a lot more uncomfortable this approaching summer.

I get your point, the problem in the PL is against the top sides, away fans and tourists are filling the ground. Fulham is far from a sell out whereas Liverpool is sold out already. Some people are buying up the tickets. In the Championship though, it will be a different story. SR have spent money but what a c0ck up. Why spend it all on young data driven rubbish when we had Romeu and Forster? They are just warped or brain washed or stupid.

I do get annoyed though by happy clappy fans smiling and clapping after our thousandth defeat in a row. To me it's pathetic. Show some f@cking annoyance and upset with losing every f@cking game.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 21:59]

Poll: Who are you voting for?

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 22:16 - May 9 with 1454 viewsMytchettSaint

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 21:56 - May 9 by Southamptonfan

I get your point, the problem in the PL is against the top sides, away fans and tourists are filling the ground. Fulham is far from a sell out whereas Liverpool is sold out already. Some people are buying up the tickets. In the Championship though, it will be a different story. SR have spent money but what a c0ck up. Why spend it all on young data driven rubbish when we had Romeu and Forster? They are just warped or brain washed or stupid.

I do get annoyed though by happy clappy fans smiling and clapping after our thousandth defeat in a row. To me it's pathetic. Show some f@cking annoyance and upset with losing every f@cking game.

Everyone supports in their own way. If that’s how some people want to be then fine. I don’t get it either though. As for going to the other extreme like Everton fans did earlier this year then you play into the hands of the clubs PR and the press (if you’re old enough - you’ll remember that fanzine cover…)
This is a big summer for SR, they need to not only look at the decision making process and those in charge of it but they will need to do some almightily good PR to get fans back on board ahead of next season.
I think, given the football served up and the fact getting a train down to Southampton is almost impossible these days without some form of disruption, I’m likely to pick and choose the games I attend next season and wait and see where we are at Christmas/if they offer half season tickets. I don’t think my seats will be snapped up and even if they are then I’ll go for as close as possible to them. After the last couple of seasons I really don’t enjoy going anymore. My two boys only want to attend away games these days. It really has become the temple of doom.

That Liverpool game might be sold out but so have lots of others and there’s been plenty of empty seats.

Forza Rossobianco

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 22:46 - May 9 with 1422 viewsfranniesTache

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 21:56 - May 9 by Southamptonfan

Winds me the f*ck up when you hear our fans at the moment singing that noddy f*cking shit about having played at inter Milan and now we’re going to Luton or Rotherham away.

B*locks to celebrating us being sh*t I’m f*cking livid at the manager, players and board, and those dins that clapped the players off at Forest can f*ck off and not come back.

The board won’t take us seriously if we clap like seals on speed for one of the worst saints teams I can remember in my lifetime
To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 22:51 - May 9 with 1415 viewsSouthamptonfan

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 22:46 - May 9 by franniesTache

Winds me the f*ck up when you hear our fans at the moment singing that noddy f*cking shit about having played at inter Milan and now we’re going to Luton or Rotherham away.

B*locks to celebrating us being sh*t I’m f*cking livid at the manager, players and board, and those dins that clapped the players off at Forest can f*ck off and not come back.

The board won’t take us seriously if we clap like seals on speed for one of the worst saints teams I can remember in my lifetime

Totally agree with you mate. Some of our fans allow them to get away with it.

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 23:07 - May 9 with 1398 viewshedgeend61

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 12:12 - May 9 by franniesTache

Surely the point of any protest is to tell the board we've had enough.

Had enough of the cheap option for rmanagers.
Had enough of being overly "clever" and thinking statistical analysis wins football games.
Had enough of buying to sell, instead of buying to grow.
Had enough of wishy washy marketing over real strategy.
Had enough of prioritising away fans over home fans.
Had enough of being taken the p*ss out of by the people that own and run the club.

Right now our fanbase is soft. The owners and board can get away with it because they think we'll just accept it.

And to be fair we do, there were utter muppets clapping the side last night after the game, our dinlows sing about going to away games in the championship instead of stringing the board up from the Itchen Bridge.

Semmens, Ankersen and a few others should be booted out of our club and city, but instead our fans care more about "stripes" on the kit, or singing about libraries.

And yes, i'm f*cking angry this morning, but then again shouldn't we be f*cking angry?

FT, sort of mixed on clapping them off last night, I didn't clap them, was just numb like most no shows this season, but understand some clapping as like Nick says, some actually put in a shift, all be it not really up to the level.
Lycano, not the greatest defender (not that we've got any), at least put in 100% effort (we don't often see that lately) and looks like he actually cares.
Some teams players wouldn't have come over, at least they had the balls to do that knowing they'd failed.

Don't do all the aways, but the idiots on the concourse for half hour, hour, before the the match throwing beach balls about, filming themselves (why?), shouting their mouths off, then quiet as church mice when the game starts, need to have a word with themselves.
To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 23:07 - May 9 with 1397 viewsdarthvader

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 10:24 - May 9 by saintwizzler

What would Liverpool fans do?

Blame everyone else and boo the national anthem

keep the faith coyr

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 23:18 - May 9 with 1376 viewsPatfromPoole

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 22:46 - May 9 by franniesTache

I basically replicated my original post on Twitter today.

Whilst a lot of people agree with the principle of some kind of protest, a lot of Saints fans replied to me with a “whatever” kind of answer, as if I’m an idiot for complaining about our relegation.

There are an awful lot of Saints fans who genuinely don’t seem that bothered about relegation.

Though if we are in the Championship for a few years, they are exactly the type who will walk away from following the club.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 23:51 - May 9 with 1353 viewsbarry_sanchez

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 21:50 - May 9 by MytchettSaint

We’ve spent money this season.

I can’t knock SR for that.

Just about every other decision they’ve got wrong.

I sat in the dell after games, stood in the car park there calling for Branfoot to go, in the end it was 9000 home crowds where people said enough is enough that did for him.

If people stood outside St Mary’s I’m sure the smug gits would look out and smirk. Having to look around a sparsely populated ground would make them feel a lot more uncomfortable this approaching summer.

To add, Everton's board haven't been to the ground due to concerns for their safety, not advocating it, just a level of passion and a lower level of tolerance to constant shite.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Login to get fewer ads

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 06:50 - May 10 with 1286 viewssaintwizzler

From the day last year when we lost at Villa 4-0 it’s been relegation form.
Sports Republic spent money in the summer but unfortunately not on what was needed.
An experienced CB (or 2), a replacement for Romeu and a GOALSCORER.
They bought kids in to hopefully improve to later sell at a profit.

In their defence they gave the manager the start of the season to see what he could do.
He was sacked the start of November with the club in the relegation zone.
The rest is history. Jones was a disaster, but to then continue with Selles…

Lavia and Alcaraz have been pluses the rest, well. Can you see them staying??

Can Sports Republic get the fans back on side?
Season and match day ticketing need to be very carefully priced.
An apology from them would be nice.

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say I got it wrong.

But as mentioned the best protest is vote with your feet.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 08:35 - May 10 with 1249 viewsgrumpy

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 06:50 - May 10 by saintwizzler

From the day last year when we lost at Villa 4-0 it’s been relegation form.
Sports Republic spent money in the summer but unfortunately not on what was needed.
An experienced CB (or 2), a replacement for Romeu and a GOALSCORER.
They bought kids in to hopefully improve to later sell at a profit.

In their defence they gave the manager the start of the season to see what he could do.
He was sacked the start of November with the club in the relegation zone.
The rest is history. Jones was a disaster, but to then continue with Selles…

Lavia and Alcaraz have been pluses the rest, well. Can you see them staying??

Can Sports Republic get the fans back on side?
Season and match day ticketing need to be very carefully priced.
An apology from them would be nice.

Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say I got it wrong.

But as mentioned the best protest is vote with your feet.

Absolutely agree with this.
Plus a goalkeeper.
To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 10:01 - May 10 with 1218 views1885_SFC

It's started... kind of

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23510577.protest-signs-appear-southampton-trai

Old School is Cool

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 10:33 - May 10 with 1209 viewsSaintNick

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 15:59 - May 9 by PatfromPoole

A manifesto?

It’s pretty simple.

Stop losing football matches all the time by appointing crap managers and buying players who patently aren’t good enough.

So what you are saying then is sit back and do nothing until the team starts playing good football.

Sorry Pat but this reply has nailed why there is no protest from the fan base, rather than get to the crux of the matter just ask the club to put out a statement saying that they are sorry for the past few months, going forward they have now amended the policy of appointing crap football managers and buying player who are not good enough.

In future all managers will not be crap and all players patently good enough !

You have not addressed any of the points I made just made a glib statement, you don't question why things went wrong, this season has not been as simple as appointing crap managers, there have been many issues much more complex, why is a player who played for the 3rd best team in the world been so poor here ? Its not because he is a crap player, it's not been because Jones or Selles were crap, they barely played him. So what was the problem ?

We will get out of this situation as a club by looking at where it all went wrong and moving forward to fix it, I would say that at the start of this season we had a good manager who was starting to be given the right tools to do the job if we had not sacked him then we would not have appointed two crap managers and would not have panic bought in January.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 10:54 - May 10 with 1198 viewssaintwizzler

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 10:33 - May 10 by SaintNick

So what you are saying then is sit back and do nothing until the team starts playing good football.

Sorry Pat but this reply has nailed why there is no protest from the fan base, rather than get to the crux of the matter just ask the club to put out a statement saying that they are sorry for the past few months, going forward they have now amended the policy of appointing crap football managers and buying player who are not good enough.

In future all managers will not be crap and all players patently good enough !

You have not addressed any of the points I made just made a glib statement, you don't question why things went wrong, this season has not been as simple as appointing crap managers, there have been many issues much more complex, why is a player who played for the 3rd best team in the world been so poor here ? Its not because he is a crap player, it's not been because Jones or Selles were crap, they barely played him. So what was the problem ?

We will get out of this situation as a club by looking at where it all went wrong and moving forward to fix it, I would say that at the start of this season we had a good manager who was starting to be given the right tools to do the job if we had not sacked him then we would not have appointed two crap managers and would not have panic bought in January.

Good old Ralph Hasenhüttl.
If only…

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 13:07 - May 10 with 1137 viewsdwayne_dibley

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 10:54 - May 10 by saintwizzler

Good old Ralph Hasenhüttl.
If only…

... he had been kidnapped by aliens

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 20:13 - May 10 with 1046 viewsbarry_sanchez

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 22:16 - May 9 by MytchettSaint

Everyone supports in their own way. If that’s how some people want to be then fine. I don’t get it either though. As for going to the other extreme like Everton fans did earlier this year then you play into the hands of the clubs PR and the press (if you’re old enough - you’ll remember that fanzine cover…)
This is a big summer for SR, they need to not only look at the decision making process and those in charge of it but they will need to do some almightily good PR to get fans back on board ahead of next season.
I think, given the football served up and the fact getting a train down to Southampton is almost impossible these days without some form of disruption, I’m likely to pick and choose the games I attend next season and wait and see where we are at Christmas/if they offer half season tickets. I don’t think my seats will be snapped up and even if they are then I’ll go for as close as possible to them. After the last couple of seasons I really don’t enjoy going anymore. My two boys only want to attend away games these days. It really has become the temple of doom.

That Liverpool game might be sold out but so have lots of others and there’s been plenty of empty seats.

Apathy is the enemy of all businesses and in turn clubs, our fan base because of loads of reasons simply say there's more to life, there is but many don't see it that way in other clubs, if the club was someone it'd be Neil from the Young Ones.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 16:07 - May 14 with 943 views1885_SFC

Maybe we should have copied what FC Groningen's fans did in this afternoon's game against Ajax, which was abandoned after just a few minutes. They're not happy at relegation or how their club is run. Sounds familiar...

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/05/14/ajax-game-suspended-due-to-groningen-fa

Old School is Cool

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 16:38 - May 14 with 904 viewsbarry_sanchez

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 16:07 - May 14 by 1885_SFC

Maybe we should have copied what FC Groningen's fans did in this afternoon's game against Ajax, which was abandoned after just a few minutes. They're not happy at relegation or how their club is run. Sounds familiar...

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/05/14/ajax-game-suspended-due-to-groningen-fa

More chance of our fans invading and burning down Marks and Spencer if avocado's are out of stock.............

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 21:07 - May 19 with 688 viewsdirk_doone

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 09:35 - May 9 by dirk_doone

I don't really understand the point of this or the timing of it. What exactly would it make them do?

Fan protests are usually about getting either the owner or the manager out. We already know Selles will be replaced. As for the owners, it could very well be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire. Anyway, owners, understandably, always want to get their money back when they sell and they won't get anywhere near that if they sell us as a Championship club.
[Post edited 9 May 2023 9:36]

I get it now. First Nathan Jones, now Russell f--king Martin. SR are taking the p!ss. We need to get them out.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 21:11 - May 19 with 674 viewsSouthamptonfan

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 21:07 - May 19 by dirk_doone

I get it now. First Nathan Jones, now Russell f--king Martin. SR are taking the p!ss. We need to get them out.

As I've said before, managers come and go, but it's the
men at the very top making the decisions and they are destroying this club.
[Post edited 19 May 2023 21:12]

To protest or not to protest, that is the question on 12:55 - May 21 with 548 viewsdirk_doone

I don't think that continuing to sing "Rasmus is a c..t" is going to get media attention. Perhaps a simple chant of 'Ankersen Out" would. He has lost SÌŒolak a lot of money already so he might consider breaking up their partnership.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024