Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. 08:36 - Apr 24 with 7735 viewsmerovingian

True or false?

What club missing since promotion is the tenacity & willingness to go 100% in each match. Ability to adapt & self belief.

Cycledelic

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 12:39 - Apr 24 with 1612 viewsrobith

No I don't think he would've. He's come in at Sunderland and basically had to gee them up for 2 wins to keep them safe. Like O'Neill did when he came in so the Sunderland squad has it in it.

Ours was a much longer task and I think his authoritarian style and penchant for picking on players and hanging them out to dry would've been a catastrophe with the squad we have
Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 12:54 - Apr 24 with 1587 viewsNW5Hoop

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 12:31 - Apr 24 by TheBlob

Yeah right.

Yes, right. I don't want an avowed fascist at the football club I support. Staying in the Premier League - so some very rich people can get even richer - isn't worth endorsing a fascist for. I gain nothing from QPR staying up. Why would I compromise my beliefs for that?
Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 13:14 - Apr 24 with 1566 viewsJamie

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 12:39 - Apr 24 by robith

No I don't think he would've. He's come in at Sunderland and basically had to gee them up for 2 wins to keep them safe. Like O'Neill did when he came in so the Sunderland squad has it in it.

Ours was a much longer task and I think his authoritarian style and penchant for picking on players and hanging them out to dry would've been a catastrophe with the squad we have

Exactly why I wanted him. Would've fcked off most of the squad and brought in young, hungry players looking to bring us back up.

Doubt many of those happy to hang around next season on £60k+ per week would wish to hang around with Di Canio's 7 days a week training schedule.
Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 13:16 - Apr 24 with 1564 viewsJuzzie

We'll never know.

Just like we'll never know what would have happened had we got Mourinho or SAF. Or bought in players like Messi and Ronaldo.

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 13:39 - Apr 24 with 1553 viewsWestbourneR

Most Lazio fans are facist - big fuss about nothing. Actually being facist doesn't mean he is racist and it's doesn't mean he likes Hitler.

Mussolini was a facist and although he was a big idiotic bully he was very tame compared to other dictators. As I understand it there were no mass murders or anything of that sort.

Anyway... my point being... I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest about Di Canio's private political alignments.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:17 - Apr 24 with 1543 viewsNW5Hoop

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 13:39 - Apr 24 by WestbourneR

Most Lazio fans are facist - big fuss about nothing. Actually being facist doesn't mean he is racist and it's doesn't mean he likes Hitler.

Mussolini was a facist and although he was a big idiotic bully he was very tame compared to other dictators. As I understand it there were no mass murders or anything of that sort.

Anyway... my point being... I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest about Di Canio's private political alignments.

Don't be misled by jokes about Italian tanks having only reverse gear, or that Mussolini got the trains to run on time. There is no such thing as a "moderate" or "good" fascist: all the fascist dictators killed, and beat, and suppressed opposition. That he was not as bad as Hitler doesn't make him good. "Only" killing a few hundred thousand, as opposed to several million, does not make him cuddly. And many of those killed were killed for racial reasons.

And the more relevant point is that at a time of rising neo-fascism around Europe, appointing an avowed fascist to a high profile job sends a message that fascism is fine, actually.

And in case someone comes along and says I probably think communism as OK, no I don't. Stalin was morally equivalent to Hitler. And probably, on balance, the fascist victory in the Spanish Civil War was just about preferable to the Stalinist state Spain would almost certainly have become had the Republicans won.
Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:17 - Apr 24 with 1543 viewsNW5Hoop

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 13:39 - Apr 24 by WestbourneR

Sorry, accidental double post.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:20 - Apr 24 with 1536 viewsTheBlob

Oh god,here we go again with the right v left.....

Wake me up when we reach 15 pages.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:24 - Apr 24 with 1531 viewsTacticalR

NW5Hoop...did you by any chance hear the Guardian Football Weekly podcast where Di Canio was discussed? The consensus seemed to be that a little light fascism was nothing to worry about.

Air hostess clique

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:25 - Apr 24 with 1530 viewsTacticalR

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:20 - Apr 24 by TheBlob

Oh god,here we go again with the right v left.....

Wake me up when we reach 15 pages.

Not in the British context. Everyone from Billy Bragg to Norman Tebbit is an 'anti-fascist'.

Air hostess clique

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:40 - Apr 24 with 1510 viewsNW5Hoop

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:24 - Apr 24 by TacticalR

NW5Hoop...did you by any chance hear the Guardian Football Weekly podcast where Di Canio was discussed? The consensus seemed to be that a little light fascism was nothing to worry about.

They got it wrong.
Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:56 - Apr 24 with 1495 viewsNorthernr

Personally I think the fascism thing is blown out of proportion with Di Canio. It just gave the 24 hour news culture something to feast on until something else came along. Amusing that it suddenly became a massive issue of national importance because he'd got a Premier League job when he'd been quite happily managing at Swindon for the previous two seasons. The BBC had Dan Roan following him round all week and giving it The high and mighty, holier than thou treatment on the website, on the news every night and on Twitter. Never once did anybody point out that the BBC were so bothered about Di Canio's supposed abhorrent beliefs that they'd actually given him a regular column on the BBC website for the previous 12 months. All seemed a little by hypocritical to me. I mean where is fascism ok and where is it not? It's ok at Swindon, but not at Sunderland? Wolves maybe? Where is the line drawn between it being a story and not?

Anyway, on the point of the OP, no I don't think he would have kept us up but long term he could (could) have been exactly what we need.

Whoever went for Di Canio was taking a massive risk. He's an old school football manager — my way or you're out, and my way will be hard. He's in charge, he holds all the power, he'll make examples of players, and if you don't like it tough. These days the players hold all the power, and as we've seen several times at QPR and very often at Chelsea when players don't like the manager these days they are happy to just down tools and stop playing for him because they know the sack won't be far away. So you need the chairman to back him 100%, even if he upsets the whole playing squad and they stop playing for him, because that's what his style demands. If players think they can get rid of him by stopping playing for him then his method is flawed. That was the thing that always concerned me about him getting a Premier League job — all very well behaving like that in League Two where players good enough for that level are easy and cheap to find and get rid of, but in the Premier League is he going to be able to sign a striker and then bomb him out after two matches as he did with leon Clarke? Probably not, as that striker will have cost £12m!

It will be interesting. In theory somebody coming in, kicking out the slackers, imposing strict fitness and discipline regimes, talking about pride and team work and passion etc is exactly what QPR need. But the test will come when the Premier League players decide they don't like training every day of the week and being publicly harangued by a mental Italian.
Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:58 - Apr 24 with 1493 viewsrunningman75

Go and watch " Life is Beautiful " . I do not see how fascism can be trivialised.
Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 15:24 - Apr 24 with 1483 viewshopphoops

I wouldn't take Di Canio because he's Lazio anyway. But like Nov77 I'd have De Canio back in a shot, ideally alongside an Ainsworth or Nelsen.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 15:49 - Apr 24 with 1469 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 15:24 - Apr 24 by hopphoops

I wouldn't take Di Canio because he's Lazio anyway. But like Nov77 I'd have De Canio back in a shot, ideally alongside an Ainsworth or Nelsen.

Amazing to me that anyone, including the otherwise excellent Football Weekly podcast, would make light of someone being a fascist. There are no scales of fascism, there is no acceptable face, there's just fascism and it is filth.

If Di Canio had apologised for his past, I would respect him, but to deny that he is or was a fascist when the photos are out there makes him a liar, a hypocrite and, still indisputably, a fascist.

There aren't many things that would make me boycott Rangers, but us hiring a fascist would most certainly be one of them.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 16:31 - Apr 24 with 1430 viewsLoft1979

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 12:29 - Apr 24 by carrotcrunch_R

Di Canio and Barton together now that would be a team

yes!
Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 00:27 - Apr 25 with 1395 viewsozexile

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:56 - Apr 24 by Northernr

Personally I think the fascism thing is blown out of proportion with Di Canio. It just gave the 24 hour news culture something to feast on until something else came along. Amusing that it suddenly became a massive issue of national importance because he'd got a Premier League job when he'd been quite happily managing at Swindon for the previous two seasons. The BBC had Dan Roan following him round all week and giving it The high and mighty, holier than thou treatment on the website, on the news every night and on Twitter. Never once did anybody point out that the BBC were so bothered about Di Canio's supposed abhorrent beliefs that they'd actually given him a regular column on the BBC website for the previous 12 months. All seemed a little by hypocritical to me. I mean where is fascism ok and where is it not? It's ok at Swindon, but not at Sunderland? Wolves maybe? Where is the line drawn between it being a story and not?

Anyway, on the point of the OP, no I don't think he would have kept us up but long term he could (could) have been exactly what we need.

Whoever went for Di Canio was taking a massive risk. He's an old school football manager — my way or you're out, and my way will be hard. He's in charge, he holds all the power, he'll make examples of players, and if you don't like it tough. These days the players hold all the power, and as we've seen several times at QPR and very often at Chelsea when players don't like the manager these days they are happy to just down tools and stop playing for him because they know the sack won't be far away. So you need the chairman to back him 100%, even if he upsets the whole playing squad and they stop playing for him, because that's what his style demands. If players think they can get rid of him by stopping playing for him then his method is flawed. That was the thing that always concerned me about him getting a Premier League job — all very well behaving like that in League Two where players good enough for that level are easy and cheap to find and get rid of, but in the Premier League is he going to be able to sign a striker and then bomb him out after two matches as he did with leon Clarke? Probably not, as that striker will have cost £12m!

It will be interesting. In theory somebody coming in, kicking out the slackers, imposing strict fitness and discipline regimes, talking about pride and team work and passion etc is exactly what QPR need. But the test will come when the Premier League players decide they don't like training every day of the week and being publicly harangued by a mental Italian.

Great post northern.
Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 01:26 - Apr 25 with 1385 viewsmerovingian

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 10:30 - Apr 24 by TheBlob

If he'd saved us you would have licked his swastika.

The Eye-ties or Black Shirt.

-- Circa Medal of Honor, Airborne.

Cycledelic

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 01:49 - Apr 25 with 1380 viewsmerovingian

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 09:08 - Apr 24 by Monahoop

Despite the mess he inherited, Redknapp was seen by many QPR and non QPR fans alike to lead the club to safety. Failed.

Why anyone thinks Di Canio would have done better is a strange speculation indeed. He may have saved Sunderland for now, but his real baptism of fire will be next season. A bad start and he's sure to walk away and sharpish.

To be honest, I doubt anyone would have saved the club from the drop. It's a total shambles throughout.

He's like Eric Cantona, the sheer power in phychological aspect.

He use word power in one sentenced half English - half Italian, terse, he'll curse, slap your head, hold you by the neck, staring at you... And kept telling us how life short is.

With powerful words & enough dicipline, General Suetonius Legionaires of merely 10,000 beat the crap out of Boudicca's 230,0000 Iceni'ans.

Cycledelic

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 02:06 - Apr 25 with 1375 viewsmerovingian

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 11:15 - Apr 24 by baz_qpr

Definitely false, the only way we could have been saved was if the plug had been pulled on Hughes much earlier. It was clear as day we were in deep deep trouble by the time of West Ham at home, If HR had come in 4 or 5 games earlier I think we would have turned it around and been out of the bottom three by christmas and then would have had higher confidence and less pressure. The main problem all season until Remy was strikers and lack of them / goals). All to late by January though.

TF & shareholders fault, QPR just a tool to rally up their core businesses.

I bet Sullivan & Gold spend more time with their own pupils, see where they're at now.

Cycledelic

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 02:13 - Apr 25 with 1373 viewsmerovingian

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 13:14 - Apr 24 by Jamie

Exactly why I wanted him. Would've fcked off most of the squad and brought in young, hungry players looking to bring us back up.

Doubt many of those happy to hang around next season on £60k+ per week would wish to hang around with Di Canio's 7 days a week training schedule.

Spot on.

Get a lawn mower, cut grass & you'll see how surface really is.

I'm beginning to talk like Italian now.

Cycledelic

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 02:22 - Apr 25 with 1368 viewsmerovingian

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 13:16 - Apr 24 by Juzzie

We'll never know.

Just like we'll never know what would have happened had we got Mourinho or SAF. Or bought in players like Messi and Ronaldo.

It is impossible to ignore a Manager like Di Canio telling you stuff that actually touched the very bone marrow in you.

Cycledelic

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 02:30 - Apr 25 with 1364 viewsHooparoo

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 02:22 - Apr 25 by merovingian

It is impossible to ignore a Manager like Di Canio telling you stuff that actually touched the very bone marrow in you.

He's not touching my anything. The man is deranged.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 02:44 - Apr 25 with 1363 viewsmerovingian

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 14:56 - Apr 24 by Northernr

What Di Canio did is to make you look guilty if you slack off. He's loud, everyone will see this through & usually the players will be incarcerated/ receiving end.

He's a genius.

Cycledelic

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 02:46 - Apr 25 with 1361 viewsHooparoo

Di Canio would have saved QPR from relegation. on 02:44 - Apr 25 by merovingian

What Di Canio did is to make you look guilty if you slack off. He's loud, everyone will see this through & usually the players will be incarcerated/ receiving end.

He's a genius.

I think maybe the voices have already told him that he's a genius.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024