Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FFS 22:52 - Sep 14 with 2690 viewsDorsetIan

We’ve played 4 games of a 38 game season, in the first three of which we were loyal to last season’s players.

We lost two games by the odd goal, and silly mistakes. We were punished at Brentford for mistakes too.

Today we were the better team for 30 minutes. And, for me,we didnt look like a bad team at all.

We messed up the pen and then got sucker punched twice.

Our subs didn’t improve us.

This talk of sacking RM or of when we’re going to relegated is ridiculous.

Thank God it’s RM motivating the team rather than this message board.

There are 34 four games still to play. Thirty four. FFS.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

FFS on 23:06 - Sep 14 with 2342 viewsSouthamptonfan

Yes, agreed. Today played out how it did and up until the penalty miss it was good. The Ipswich and Bournemouth games are our bread and butter and will be the vital ones. Nonetheless, we will struggle I think because we don't have the required quality to compete in this league. We need a goal scorer and if we don't score , miss penalties, miss chances, we won't win games.

Poll: Who are you voting for?

FFS on 23:14 - Sep 14 with 2294 viewsJellybaby

Agreed, an hysterical reaction to what was always going to be a season that would likely end in relegation.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

FFS on 00:22 - Sep 15 with 2179 viewscocklebreath

FFS on 23:06 - Sep 14 by Southamptonfan

Yes, agreed. Today played out how it did and up until the penalty miss it was good. The Ipswich and Bournemouth games are our bread and butter and will be the vital ones. Nonetheless, we will struggle I think because we don't have the required quality to compete in this league. We need a goal scorer and if we don't score , miss penalties, miss chances, we won't win games.

Bournemouth will
Batter us

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

FFS on 07:51 - Sep 15 with 1978 viewssaint22

Fair point up to a point but as long as RM think Jack Stephens should start a premier league game then he hasn’t a clue, that’s the nub of this
Along with his choice of penalty taker
Striker playing on the wing
FFS on 09:37 - Sep 15 with 1822 viewsdirk_doone

Seriously, who gives a f--k what we looked like in the first 30 minutes if we don't score and then get comfortably beaten 3-0? Only Ramsdale saved us from a heavier defeat.

It's like saying, he was the smartest looking bloke at the party and was talking to the best looking girl there until someone poured beer over his head and went off with her.
[Post edited 15 Sep 9:39]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

FFS on 10:17 - Sep 15 with 1745 viewsfelly1

Agreed.

I thought the team looked and played far better compared to the Forest game.
We havent beaten Man Utd at home in 22 years so the result was hardly a surprise.

Yes I'm gutted and upset at the dawning reality that relegation is beginning to look likely but I certainly haven't given up hope yet.
FFS on 10:35 - Sep 15 with 1721 viewsDorsetIan

FFS on 09:37 - Sep 15 by dirk_doone

Seriously, who gives a f--k what we looked like in the first 30 minutes if we don't score and then get comfortably beaten 3-0? Only Ramsdale saved us from a heavier defeat.

It's like saying, he was the smartest looking bloke at the party and was talking to the best looking girl there until someone poured beer over his head and went off with her.
[Post edited 15 Sep 9:39]

It’s about potential. I’ve watched plenty of Saints’ 90 minutes in previous years when I’ve seen nothing to provide any hope.

The 30 minutes showed that this team can win games, we just haven’t yet.

And I also know how things ‘clicked’ eventually last year.

Ramsdale, big Les, Dibbling, Fernandes, KWP, Bedarek, Sugawara, Downes all played really well yesterday.

There are plenty of positives.

Bournemouth got 3 points from their first 9 matches last year and still finished 12th.

FFS on 11:14 - Sep 15 with 1661 viewssaintmark1976

FFS on 10:35 - Sep 15 by DorsetIan

It’s about potential. I’ve watched plenty of Saints’ 90 minutes in previous years when I’ve seen nothing to provide any hope.

Ramsdale, big Les, Dibbling, Fernandes, KWP, Bedarek, Sugawara, Downes all played really well yesterday.

Bournemouth got 3 points from their first 9 matches last year and still finished 12th.

Not sure who your opticians are DorsetIan but suggest ( purely in fun ) that you seek an appointment for a check up.

We have two player's and two players only that are anywhere near Premiership standard, Ramsdale and K W P.

Despite our owners and management spending a net £70 million in the last window the remainder are a hotch potch of serial under achievers, the only exception possibly being Dibbling.

There is no way that even the fella that manages Man City could get a tune out of our current squad let alone Russell Martin.

The only question now is will we be relegated by Christmas ?

Poll: On which date will we be relegated ?

Login to get fewer ads

FFS on 11:53 - Sep 15 with 1599 viewsRon11

FFS on 10:35 - Sep 15 by DorsetIan

Let's not forget that Bournemouth sacked Scott Parker after four games the season before, And Gary O Neil went on to win ten games after that, with comments from Parker and others that the squad was not good enough for the Premiership but O Neil went on to prove them all wrong.
Here, Martin has been focussing on player 'mistakes' although it's become increasingly obvious he doesn't really have a clue about anything else other than playing it out from the back and the nonsensical sideways and back stuff.
On two occasions now, he was forced to change things - last season when McCarthy came back in and could not play out from the back - result, much better performances and winning promotion.
And this season, after an awful start, forced to change it again, with a real improvement for 30 minutes. against Man U. but his stubbornness still persisted in starting Stephens, who was at fault for the first goal and then gets sent off. A win needed next or piss off somewhere else with your stubbornness and arrogance.
FFS on 11:57 - Sep 15 with 1591 viewsFlamingbankers

It's OK to have some optimism so early on in the season. But do you seriously think
Saints have a chance of staying up without a huge change? I'd say the evidence is already there, in clear view.

We now have some decent players compared to two seasons ago but that still doesn't make a team. Also, there are clear question marks against established players like KWP - as much as he's been an excellent player in general for us - I'm still not convinced that we don't need a capable defending natural left back in that position.

Martin made some brave but proper chances on Saturday but he simply doesn't have the experience, or seemingly the know how, to gain one single point yet and that looks as if it may continue for a long time. We're clearly outclassed by everyone, in significantly most respects, including Everton I suspect - you just have to watch MOTD to see that. (We'll see about Everton on Tuesday - where I'm hoping Martin starts off with the same team but bringing THB back in).

So if we have a team and a manager that aren't capable of holding their own in the Premier; I think we should hope for the best, enjoy the better moments but be fairy resigned that we'll be playing in the Championship next season. With that at least we can relax a bit more and look to better times to come, god willing l
[Post edited 15 Sep 11:59]
FFS on 12:13 - Sep 15 with 1549 viewsUlsterBaz

The Martin out stuff is nonsense really. The reality is we just haven’t the finances to compete at this level any more. It’s the lack of genuine quality up front that’s going to do for us this season. Does anyone honestly see any of our forwards scoring 10 this season?
FFS on 12:22 - Sep 15 with 1514 viewskingslandstand1

FFS on 00:22 - Sep 15 by cocklebreath

Bournemouth will
Batter us

So will Ipswich though not as hard
FFS on 12:27 - Sep 15 with 1461 viewskingslandstand1

FFS on 11:14 - Sep 15 by saintmark1976

Not sure who your opticians are DorsetIan but suggest ( purely in fun ) that you seek an appointment for a check up.

We have two player's and two players only that are anywhere near Premiership standard, Ramsdale and K W P.

Despite our owners and management spending a net £70 million in the last window the remainder are a hotch potch of serial under achievers, the only exception possibly being Dibbling.

There is no way that even the fella that manages Man City could get a tune out of our current squad let alone Russell Martin.

I'll bet Derby are looking at losing their Prem League points record!
FFS on 12:30 - Sep 15 with 1442 views1885_SFC

FFS on 12:13 - Sep 15 by UlsterBaz

The Martin out stuff is nonsense really. The reality is we just haven’t the finances to compete at this level any more. It’s the lack of genuine quality up front that’s going to do for us this season. Does anyone honestly see any of our forwards scoring 10 this season?

There's a reason why the 3 teams that went up last season all came straight back down.

And without that Rickie Lambert type striker we desperately needed in the Summer - we'll be following suit.

Old School is Cool

FFS on 12:44 - Sep 15 with 1392 viewsSonicBoom

It's too early to guess how many points we'll get. We have to wait til we've played at least ten games surely.
I agree goals are going to be a problem. Armstrong seems to struggle in the PL, and BBD has been ineffective so far although sticking him out on the touchline doesn't help him. What happened to having a striker that stays within the width of the box?

Stewart is still an unknown. Maybe he will be the focal point we have been missing, you never know.
What is clear is that we have to score goals as we don't seem able to keep them out.
FFS on 12:45 - Sep 15 with 1392 viewsIfonly

It's wrong to say we don't have the finances to compete at this level. These days finances are based on club revenues. If we can't compete then, to take 2 local examples, Bournemouth and Brighton can't either. They and other similar PL clubs have shown it's possible.

But finances are also the reason why you're wrong to say that "The Martin out stuff is nonsense". We will have the finances to compete, but only if we are smart. Unfortunately our owners have made dumb mistake after dumb mistake and one of the biggest is to opt for a pure possession based playing style. We can compete, but not if we want to play possession because that means paying up for the best players, which we can't afford, or having brilliant recruitment like Brighton, which we don't have. Long term we will learn that this playing style is too much for our finances and we need to change. That is why the Martin out stuff is not nonsense.

The pure possession based style is probably also the reason why our recruitment priorities are what they are, and why we ended up with countless tippy tappy wingers and no real centre forward who is capable of 20 goals in the PL.
FFS on 13:18 - Sep 15 with 1293 viewskernow

Travelling far to watch next weekend.
If we can’t get a result, I’m thinking the options will be fairly clear, change or fail.
FFS on 14:47 - Sep 15 with 1179 viewsBridders2

It's not that we haven't got the money, it's more that we buy lots of mediocre players for about £10m rather than 3 or 4 proven PL players who can be relied on to do a job. Rather than Archer, Diaz and Cornet we should have put that money into one proven front player at this level.
FFS on 15:09 - Sep 15 with 1072 viewsBerber

The trouble with looking good for 30 mins is during the remaining 60.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

FFS on 16:50 - Sep 15 with 1001 viewssaintmark1976

FFS on 14:47 - Sep 15 by Bridders2

It's not that we haven't got the money, it's more that we buy lots of mediocre players for about £10m rather than 3 or 4 proven PL players who can be relied on to do a job. Rather than Archer, Diaz and Cornet we should have put that money into one proven front player at this level.

Spot on Bridders, even more so when you consider that the owners and management appear to be happy to pay proper money and the accompanying wages for Ramsdale.

Every man and his dog that have ever watched Premiership football ( particularly yesterday) is now aware that Archer, Diaz and Cornet are Championship players at their very best. Given that Armstrong also failed miserably when last he played in The Premiership, it’s really not difficult to understand why we have no points after four games and the one goal we have scored was from a full back.

In summary another colossal error of judgement by those owning and managing our club.

Poll: On which date will we be relegated ?

FFS on 19:08 - Sep 15 with 847 viewsPatfromPoole

The problem is that we are never going to win games simply because we don’t get bodies in the oppo’s penalty area. It will just be the striker on his own.

Probably pretty pointless sacking Martin as the players have been conditioned to play in this completely pointless way.

Watching United yesterday, they had 3 or 4 players in our box every time they attacked. It’s not rocket science that they therefore had far more shots on goal.

We are destined to finish bottom by some distance unless we change this moronic way of playing.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

FFS on 19:31 - Sep 15 with 833 viewsdirk_doone

So far, Dibling looks to be the only player we have who'd be capable of scoring more than 10 goals in the Premier League this season, but in order to capitalise on his ability, he has to be made a central focus of our attack, perhaps alongside Stewart or Brereton-Diaz, whichever one of them turns out to be the better option.
[Post edited 15 Sep 20:15]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

FFS on 20:19 - Sep 15 with 765 viewsgrumpy

FFS on 19:08 - Sep 15 by PatfromPoole

The problem is that we are never going to win games simply because we don’t get bodies in the oppo’s penalty area. It will just be the striker on his own.

Probably pretty pointless sacking Martin as the players have been conditioned to play in this completely pointless way.

Watching United yesterday, they had 3 or 4 players in our box every time they attacked. It’s not rocket science that they therefore had far more shots on goal.

We are destined to finish bottom by some distance unless we change this moronic way of playing.

At times we had winger’s approaching United's goal with no one in the middle to pass to.
FFS on 20:58 - Sep 15 with 718 viewsgraveworm

FFS on 11:14 - Sep 15 by saintmark1976

Reality would tell me differently
Unless the defence is sorted out quickly, then it’s gonna be a very poor season
If he insists on square pegs in round holes then what is going to change
You cannot have Jack Stephens any premiership team
Bednerak cannot pass a ball when put under pressure
Maybe Stewart can answer the forward position
Cause presently speaking we have no one capable of getting more than 7/8 goals this season
That’s been optimistic
Why are we so completely open to the counter attack
Let’s be honest all the opposition have to do is, let fart around passing the ball going nowhere
Then boom.attack us We are facing 4 on 2 or 3 on 3
There is no cohesion between midfield and defence or we would not be so easily open up
I don’t think realism is a depressive outlook
Still who knows among digital scribes
FFS on 21:15 - Sep 15 with 696 viewsDorsetIan

Last year Bednarek and Bellis formed the central defensive partnership we've been looking for for a long time. They can do the same this season, particularly with big Les sitting in front of them.

KWP, Sugawara, Dibbling and Ferdandes (a level up on Alcarez) all look good going forward and should be able to create chances for our strikers.

Downes and Lallana can perhaps make up a solid midfield.

And Archer and Armstrong should both be able to finish inside the area, with Diaz or Stewart maybe becoming the big No.9 we haven't had for a while.

And I am due a visit to the opticians, as it happens - thanks for the reminder...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024