Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS 11:34 - Aug 22 with 3060 viewsdurham_exile

Big news this week for Harrogate Town is that time is running out for those wishing to apply to become the next Harry Gator, the team’s mascot.

Simon Weaver will have been pleased to have picked up a point at Accrington Stanley but disappointed when the Sulphurites sat back and tried to protect their advantage when 2-1 up in the second half. In the end a 3-3 draw meant the points were shared.

Harrogate have Jack Muldoon in their ranks who is always capable of scoring a goal.

But enough about the Sulphurites, we want to know whether DC has the right chemical formula to gain another three valuable points at home this weekend.

So, what have we learned about the new look Colchester this season.

After a brilliant start to the game against Wimbledon we somehow let things slip and finally lost 4-2. Robbed by poor officiating and an inability to create chances second half I felt, from my settee vantage spot courtesy of Sky Sports+ that we were unlucky to lose.

It could be argued that DC didn’t quite have the correct formation particularly in midfield. Also, with 11 new signings this season there is always the consideration of knitting together a new formation and blending the old with the new.

Clearly Jack Payne is already a contender for POTS and replacing Arthur Read in the hearts of the faithful. Whatever Read’s issue with the club or his teammates he need to get with the programme and quickly because we need his work rate and ability in the team. Is he disappointed not to have joined his former colleagues at Edgeley Park or at Victoria Park Dingwall for the Staggies. Well perhaps but maybe not the latter anyway.

Read remains one of our most effective players and I want to see him in midfield with Payne, Bishop and Woodyard. Can they all play together as a diamond with Read just ahead of the back four.

Is that the issue that DC reckons they can’t all start together. Which is bigger the club or an individual. Arthur Read in the squad certainly makes us stronger, sort it out Arthur.

The difference from Matchday one to the brilliant and deserved victory over the Royals was surely Alex Woodyard. His energy and enthusiasm was evident from the word go and he performed superbly well against Reading and the MK Dons.

Matt Macey looks the part. Colchester’s number 1 brilliantly saved two penalties against the Royals and his handling, shot stopping and distribution looks very strong.

At the back I am still not entirely sold on Rob Hunt, but he is improving each game. Unluckiest player has to be Ben Goodliffe, he was on for a superb hattrick before he was fouled and suffered serious damage to his front teeth and significant bruising.

When fully fit he must come back in but at present let’s not risk him. Kells or Egbo offer able deputies alongside captain Tom Flanagan and with Ellis Iandolo a comfortable left back the back four are pretty well established. Don’t forget that when fully fit Goodliffe must slot back alongside Flanagan.

As previously mentioned the imperious Jack Payne has perhaps put Arthur Read slightly into the shade but competition is important. Alex Woodyard is making the position his own and Teddy Bishop is a great capture and a solid bit of business.

Perhaps one of the finds of the season is Milton Oni who was so composed when taking his penalty against Reading. Milton gave a fluid, forensic performance, sterilising the Reading midfield.

Harry Anderson is another player whom the Cowleys know inside out and fitness is his bete noire. Keeping him fit is key to his best performances. Owura Edwards is another who has great technique and ability but fitness is also an issue.

John Kymani Gordon offers wing options and will only get stronger with more match minutes. Tom Hopper remains a Cowley favourite and always gives 100% even though his goals tally is still underwhelming.

That leaves that old chestnut the strikers. Samson Tovide is talented but has an ability to lose his temper quickly when constantly being manhandled or fouled. Bradley Ihionvien is going to be a Championship level player but he is still learning his trade. I am still unsure as to whether they can both line up together.

We are in truth still looking for another striker but will that be a Premier or Championship youngster or an old stager. What about Lyle Taylor. Apparently suffering from a calf injury, he might be in contention for Saturday but it may be he remains an impact substitute. I want to see him start a game though because he looks a player, perhaps he might start at Accrington Stanley.

It seems to me that this squad is good enough to achieve a top seven finish. Our rivals would appear to be Bradford (perennial underachievers), Doncaster (who almost pulled off a miracle last season), Gillingham (big spenders), Walsall (surprise early pace setters), Chesterfield (difficult to discount them), Port Vale (the ultimate yo-yo team), Tranmere (Wirral rubbish), MK Dons (nightmare start but still missing their best players).

Now even looking through my rose-tinted spectacles I know that we cannot afford to be complacent and it is still very early doors in what will be a long and gruelling season but investment from RC and the studious managerial input from DC and NC suggest that the good old days could be returning. This could be our best season since 2005/06 and we all know what happened then.

So, who will DC select on Saturday to carry on the good work against Harrogate. I am really happy with nine players, the only two possible changes would be Read and Anderson instead of Gordon and Hopper.

From the subs, if Taylor is fit then he could replace Oni on the bench. DC really has an interesting decision to make with what is the makings of a very good squad.

At the back the only possible alteration to the formation would surely be a back three allowing four in the midfield and thus allowing Read to play as part of a diamond four in midfield. Similarly, up front does DC play Ihionvien and Tovide together in place of Hopper and Gordon. If Taylor starts then Tovide or Ihionvien to play alongside him. This would allow a 4,4,2 formation.

Keeping Read on the bench might keep him keen but the alternative is to employ all four in midfield and two up front but then we are short of an out and out winger.

As always the astute use of substitutes will be critical to success.

Therefore, let’s start with the following on Saturday in a 4,3,3, formation.

Macey

Hunt Kells Flanagan Iandolo

Woodyard Bishop Payne

Gordon Tovide Hopper

Subs:
Smith Anderson Oni* Edwards Ihionvien Read Egbo (Taylor*)

Scoreline. I’m going for an impressive message sending 3-0 to the Super U’s.

Decent crowd expected circa 5,000.

No complacency just another solid professional performance.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:50 - Aug 22 with 2121 viewsMarkyMark47

Good post. I think DC said he was managing the minutes of Bishop and Read at the moment, but perhaps he was just being diplomatic. Read strikes me as someone who doesn't show a lot of emotion, so I'm not sure about reading too much into the apparent "non-celebration" of his goal.
Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 19:29 - Aug 23 with 1814 viewswessex_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:50 - Aug 22 by MarkyMark47

Good post. I think DC said he was managing the minutes of Bishop and Read at the moment, but perhaps he was just being diplomatic. Read strikes me as someone who doesn't show a lot of emotion, so I'm not sure about reading too much into the apparent "non-celebration" of his goal.

Great write-up Durham, on point as ever.

Others have said the same Marky - to paraphrase, Read wasn't making a statement, he's just a bit of a miserable bugger - but he's our miserable bugger, and long may that last. I'm trying to not get ahead of myself, given this is only Match #3 of a league campaign, but this could be a pivotal moment already, a fork in the road. Entrenched in the bottom half of the table, or established in the top half - momentum is everything!

Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 19:45 - Aug 23 with 1807 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 19:29 - Aug 23 by wessex_exile

Others have said the same Marky - to paraphrase, Read wasn't making a statement, he's just a bit of a miserable bugger - but he's our miserable bugger, and long may that last. I'm trying to not get ahead of myself, given this is only Match #3 of a league campaign, but this could be a pivotal moment already, a fork in the road. Entrenched in the bottom half of the table, or established in the top half - momentum is everything!

Up the U's!

Absolutely agree Wessex.

Sadly I dont know how to paste a photo onto this but I took some photos at the Crewe game and have a photo of Arthur Read and his partner smiling at the end of the presentations (he scooped the board and rightly so).

We want Read to stay and as I posted on this thread DC needs to find the best way of accommodating Read, Payne, Bishop and Woodyard in his starting XI.

Exciting times ahead.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 11:09 - Aug 24 with 1631 viewsbwildered

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 19:29 - Aug 23 by wessex_exile

Up the U's!

Absolutely correct, now a more important game than last Saturday. Back to back wins and a decent display to drop a marker on how we can progress throughout home games for the rest of the season.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 11:59 - Aug 24 with 1599 viewsburnsieespana

See forecast is tain today so b Interesting to see how pitch plays.
Anybody any thoughts having seen the first two games?
Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 13:04 - Aug 24 with 1550 viewswessex_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 11:59 - Aug 24 by burnsieespana

See forecast is tain today so b Interesting to see how pitch plays.
Anybody any thoughts having seen the first two games?

There was a photo posted online earlier today, and from that vantage point the pitch looked okay

Up the U's

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 14:51 - Aug 24 with 1493 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's unchanged

Good to see Ben Goodliffe on the bench.

Come on, up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 15:40 - Aug 24 with 1462 viewsdurham_exile

U's dominating in every department just need the opening goal.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 15:47 - Aug 24 with 1452 viewsgerry_us

Great to see Ronnie Hunt back in the side after so many years. Pity we could get his bruv Bobby as well!
Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 15:49 - Aug 24 with 1452 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 15:40 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

U's dominating in every department just need the opening goal.

Up the U's

HT
0-0
Be patient goals are coming.

Edwards and Ihionvien waiting in the wings

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 15:52 - Aug 24 with 1446 viewswessex_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 15:49 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

HT
0-0
Be patient goals are coming.

Edwards and Ihionvien waiting in the wings

Up the U's

Absolutely that - totally dominant, just need to get the first goal and I'm sure more will follow.

Up the U's

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:02 - Aug 24 with 1430 viewsgerry_us

Braintree winning at Solihull Moors with a goal from K Lisbie assisted by J Akinde.
Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:16 - Aug 24 with 1419 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:02 - Aug 24 by gerry_us

Braintree winning at Solihull Moors with a goal from K Lisbie assisted by J Akinde.

All ex Col U players know where the goal is.

We just want our current crop to find the back of the net this afternoon

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:23 - Aug 24 with 1396 viewsdurham_exile

Time to change it up a little.

Ihionvien and Edwards to inject some more creativity.

Certainly if we get one then I expect more to follow.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:27 - Aug 24 with 1391 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:23 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

Time to change it up a little.

Ihionvien and Edwards to inject some more creativity.

Certainly if we get one then I expect more to follow.

Up the U's

I don't believe it.

Lots to do now

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:38 - Aug 24 with 1383 viewsdurham_exile

Edwards and Anderson on for Egbo and Gordon.

Come on

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:41 - Aug 24 with 1367 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:38 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

Edwards and Anderson on for Egbo and Gordon.

Come on

Up the U's

Ihionvien and Read on for Egbo and Woodyard

Really going for this now

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:47 - Aug 24 with 1355 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:41 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

Ihionvien and Read on for Egbo and Woodyard

Really going for this now

Looks like a smash and grab raid from Harrogate.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:49 - Aug 24 with 1347 viewsCrashBandicoot

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:47 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

Come on the U's

They should be wearing sombreros. We should have had a penalty for handball but another incompetent ref thought otherwise

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:53 - Aug 24 with 1340 viewsdurham_exile

Sadly down to earth with a bump.

Bring on Brentford

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:57 - Aug 24 with 1320 viewsCrashBandicoot

We need to really sign another defender and bring in another striker if LT isn't playing regularly soon.

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:59 - Aug 24 with 1305 viewswessex_exile

Seriously though, how did we lose that?

Up the U's

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:59 - Aug 24 with 1303 viewsburnsieespana

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:47 - Aug 24 by durham_exile

Come on the U's

Bit like us last Saturday as stats indicate we were all over them.
Going to be a timeI fear before we win on a regular basis, against different styles of play on different playing surfaces.
Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 17:01 - Aug 24 with 1287 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 16:57 - Aug 24 by CrashBandicoot

We need to really sign another defender and bring in another striker if LT isn't playing regularly soon.

Crash
Defender full back or centre back

Taylor is going to be sprung on Brentford Wednesday night.

Rumour is a striker is on the horizon from non league though.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's find the right chemistry to vanquish the Sulphurites at the JCS on 17:18 - Aug 24 with 1236 viewsdurham_exile

Attendance 3,883
Including 77 from Harrogate.

Another Sombrero moment as someone once opined at Turf Moor.

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024