Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Waugh 19:47 - Jul 3 with 18692 viewsShun

The Labour candidate makes note in his campaign leaflet of being a lifelong Dale fan. Has anyone seen him/spoken to him at a match or is just politician rhetoric?
Paul Waugh on 18:59 - Sep 10 with 2367 viewsArthurDaley

We are trillions of £s in dept. . Giving away billions of £s to the likes of India, China France 28 billion abroad for so called green issues . 3 billion £s a year to Ukraine it must be costing say about 10 million £s a day on illegal immigrant's . Paid massive sums to the train drivers . Keeping 12000 foreign criminals in our jails Rachael Thieves keeps banging on about the black hole . Stop giving away our money. The Liebour party are just being vindictive to us oldies. I will honestly be glad when i have popped off , which is what Starmer wants

A large VAT Dave

Paul Waugh on 19:00 - Sep 10 with 2363 viewsDuckegg

I for one dislike Starmer I have done since he became leader of the Labour party....
Comes across as a dictator to me....

There must be other ways to recoup the money to fill the so called £22billion black hole not take away a pensioners life line during the winter....

Starmer n Reeves keep telling us that tough and hard decisions will have to be made, well here is a simple decision for the labour leader...

Remove the MPs heating allowance with all these MPs on mega wages for 5yrs they can afford to pay their own heating bill.....
Paul Waugh on 19:01 - Sep 10 with 2337 viewsEllDale

Paul Waugh on 18:42 - Sep 10 by D_Alien

I can see the argument that very well-off people shouldn't get the payment, so why not just taper it according to which council tax band you're in?

Wouldn't be perfect but would've been relatively easy to administer and thus avoid all the hassle

Makes a lot of sense to filter it that way.
He’s basically lobby fodder to be fair and him voting against it wouldn’t have changed the outcome of the vote.
Would take something cataclysmic to overturn that Labour majority and Starmer and Reeves know that.
As a pensioner myself I can just about stand losing the allowance - at the moment.
If the government continued to whittle away at things like bus passes and free prescriptions though I’d be fuming.
Paul Waugh on 19:04 - Sep 10 with 2327 viewsisitme

Paul Waugh on 18:42 - Sep 10 by D_Alien

I can see the argument that very well-off people shouldn't get the payment, so why not just taper it according to which council tax band you're in?

Wouldn't be perfect but would've been relatively easy to administer and thus avoid all the hassle

A good idea would be for energy companies to introduce a lower priced tarriff which is below marked rates for less well off pensioners that they are automtically transfered to, no having to fill out forms etc. It will hit their profits but in reality the hit will be so small in relative terms.

I agree that well off people should not be receiving benefits at all. It is crazy that people in low paid jobs are paying tax to fund child benefit for households which could have an income of almost £120,000 a year.

The whole tax and benefits system is an absolute mess, but their is no will to reform it. There is no political capital in letting people keep more of their own money so they do not have to be in receipt of a range of benefits and it removes the electioneering of if you vote for X they will get rid of your benefits, or if you vote for Y they will give more money to 'scroungers'.
[Post edited 10 Sep 19:07]
Paul Waugh on 20:04 - Sep 10 with 2125 viewswatford_dale

Paul Waugh on 19:04 - Sep 10 by isitme

A good idea would be for energy companies to introduce a lower priced tarriff which is below marked rates for less well off pensioners that they are automtically transfered to, no having to fill out forms etc. It will hit their profits but in reality the hit will be so small in relative terms.

I agree that well off people should not be receiving benefits at all. It is crazy that people in low paid jobs are paying tax to fund child benefit for households which could have an income of almost £120,000 a year.

The whole tax and benefits system is an absolute mess, but their is no will to reform it. There is no political capital in letting people keep more of their own money so they do not have to be in receipt of a range of benefits and it removes the electioneering of if you vote for X they will get rid of your benefits, or if you vote for Y they will give more money to 'scroungers'.
[Post edited 10 Sep 19:07]

careful it's a controversial topic but say it as it is.

Is everyone in life going through it without proper fiscal/pensions planning?

The pensioners have had money thrown at them over the last decade and always get a good increase with their triple lock – 10.1% increase in 2022 and 6.7% increase in 2023 when the rest of the workforce were not in receipt of increases anywhere near that. This is the only group that the government has focused on since 2011.

It’s the young I feel for who the government has thrown under the bus – under schooled due to covid, those that go to uni get to pay 6% a year on fees for the next 40 years and at the weekend all those in jobs get to look at houses they will never be able to afford. You enjoy your avocado on toast!

As for benefits, a re-introduction of the 2 strike rule, send them for 2 jobs that they suddenly don’t either don’t feel inspired by or it really is not them and then cancel their benefits for the next 6 months.

In general I feel there is far too much reliance on the state and a distinct lack of people taking personal financial responsibility, which has to change.
Paul Waugh on 23:17 - Sep 10 with 1646 views49thseason

These are monthly pension payments across Europe,
https://www.almondfinancial.co.uk/pension-breakeven-index-how-does-the-uk-state-

"Where in Europe offers the most to residents in terms of pension provision?
Luxembourg tops the European Pension Breakeven Index. The Luxembourg pension system pays out an average of €6,095.87 (£5,211.20) and thanks to the relatively low cost of living in comparison, pensioners can expect a comfortable retirement with a pension income at 538.47% over the breakeven point.

Spain came in second place, with the country’s pension system paying out a maximum of €3,175.00 ( £2,714.23) per month and coupled with the country’s low cost of living, pensioners can enjoy a comfortable retirement in the sun.

The UK moved up one place from last year’s report in the top 30, now coming in at number 15, continuing to linger just above the breakeven point for pension income. At just 18.28% above the breakeven point, the UK pays just £148.13 more in state pension than the average cost of living for a pensioner.

The maximum UK state pension will pay a total of £958.53 per month to retirees from 2024 and at the time of writing, recent data stated that the monthly cost of living for a single person (excluding rent) is £810.40.

In,recent years , the Uniparty has allowed the BBC to remove the pensioners exemption from the telly tax, done nothing to stop increasing energy costs , and is now taking £300 WFA away, you might almost start to suspect that they are hoping many houses become empty over the coming winter months. We are over £2.5 Trillion in debt and the simpletons are still paying overseas aid to China and India and some of those who pay bigger pensions thsnn we do! ..
The waste is unbelievable across every Government department as we continue to pour money into nearly 700 quango's with little accountability of where the money actually goes.. but providing lots of jobs for the boys (and girls) who run them.
There are 100s of Lords and Ladies doing God knows what..and probablÿ fronting Quango's as well.
We have a massively wasteful system of local government and over 500,000 Simple Serpents who now mainly work from home on a median salary of £35k , managed by 50,000 people with median salaries of around £85k.
No doubt there will be another council tax hike this year, Rochdales 60 councillors cost us £900,000 a year in expenses and allowances.. add on the cost of the Greater Manchester Authority and the £ 1.7 million they splurged on the cycle path through Castleton... I am yet to see anyone using it to commute to Manchester , but still if you talk to your councillor , it was " free" money .. the economic ignorance is staggering....
Paul Waugh on 23:36 - Sep 10 with 1571 viewsSandyman

Any benefit from the state should be means tested. If you meet the criteria, you get it. If you don't, you don't. Simples. Handing out a Winter fuel allowance to millionaires, pensioners able to afford spending Winter abroad in warmer climes and those with ample wealth regardless is economic folly.

As mentioned above, those able to make provision for the pension years should do so. If they haven't, don't blame the government. The "Triple Lock" should aid ALL state pensioners to the tune of £460 in the next financial year, irrespective of wealth, with no means testing.
Paul Waugh on 23:47 - Sep 10 with 1534 viewsArthurDaley

Paul Waugh on 23:36 - Sep 10 by Sandyman

Any benefit from the state should be means tested. If you meet the criteria, you get it. If you don't, you don't. Simples. Handing out a Winter fuel allowance to millionaires, pensioners able to afford spending Winter abroad in warmer climes and those with ample wealth regardless is economic folly.

As mentioned above, those able to make provision for the pension years should do so. If they haven't, don't blame the government. The "Triple Lock" should aid ALL state pensioners to the tune of £460 in the next financial year, irrespective of wealth, with no means testing.

£460 8/9 £ a week easily swallowed up by increases in gas / electric and council tax.

A large VAT Dave

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Waugh on 00:37 - Sep 11 with 1470 viewsSuddenLad

Paul Waugh on 23:36 - Sep 10 by Sandyman

The ones living abroad will retain the WFA, despite what this Government says. That's the EU for you.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Paul Waugh on 00:57 - Sep 11 with 1447 viewsborodale

Sickening for those who actually work for a living and are taxed to death. I have an inbuilt hatred of Labour and it's love of overpaid nobodies telling me how I should live my life.
Paul Waugh on 09:11 - Sep 11 with 1179 viewsNorthernDale

A question posed on the radio was and this applies to Paul Waugh, 'will the Labour MP's claim for heating costs whilst sitting in the commons, while voting to end pensioners fuel winter allowance'. This despite being paid around £90,000 a year as an MP.
Paul Waugh on 09:22 - Sep 11 with 1149 views49thseason

Paul Waugh on 00:57 - Sep 11 by borodale

Sickening for those who actually work for a living and are taxed to death. I have an inbuilt hatred of Labour and it's love of overpaid nobodies telling me how I should live my life.

The problem witth the state pension is that it is not funded from invested personal contributions, it relys on working taxpayers to pay for retirees. So taxpayers are now being squeezed from two sides, benefits for an unprecedented number of non- workers and an increasing number of longer-lived pensioners. To say nothing about Univerity loans and scandalous house prices and mortgages...and the insidious cost of runaway immigration
Norway has a sovereign fund of over a Trillion pounds, if we had started a similar fund at the same time it would now be worth over 7 Trillion pounds.. more financial incompetence from politicians who want jam today to ensure re-election rather than look after the long- term prospects of the country.
The state pension has been paid for through NIC contributions, which should have been invested not spent The refusal to change the personal allowances has dragged many into the situation where increases in state pension are such that private pensions are then taxed....
The levels of taxation and the numbers claiming benefits is now sucking all the incentive out of working.... we have to cut the size of Government and make what is left more effective if we are to continue being a first world country... But hey, the Labour party is " for the people" isnt it? Well apparently so if you are a train driver earning £60k+ or a Junior Doctor who will eventually earn well over £100k per year as a self employed GP...
Paul Waugh on 11:47 - Sep 11 with 892 viewswatford_dale

Paul Waugh on 23:17 - Sep 10 by 49thseason

These are monthly pension payments across Europe,
https://www.almondfinancial.co.uk/pension-breakeven-index-how-does-the-uk-state-

"Where in Europe offers the most to residents in terms of pension provision?
Luxembourg tops the European Pension Breakeven Index. The Luxembourg pension system pays out an average of €6,095.87 (£5,211.20) and thanks to the relatively low cost of living in comparison, pensioners can expect a comfortable retirement with a pension income at 538.47% over the breakeven point.

Spain came in second place, with the country’s pension system paying out a maximum of €3,175.00 ( £2,714.23) per month and coupled with the country’s low cost of living, pensioners can enjoy a comfortable retirement in the sun.

The UK moved up one place from last year’s report in the top 30, now coming in at number 15, continuing to linger just above the breakeven point for pension income. At just 18.28% above the breakeven point, the UK pays just £148.13 more in state pension than the average cost of living for a pensioner.

The maximum UK state pension will pay a total of £958.53 per month to retirees from 2024 and at the time of writing, recent data stated that the monthly cost of living for a single person (excluding rent) is £810.40.

In,recent years , the Uniparty has allowed the BBC to remove the pensioners exemption from the telly tax, done nothing to stop increasing energy costs , and is now taking £300 WFA away, you might almost start to suspect that they are hoping many houses become empty over the coming winter months. We are over £2.5 Trillion in debt and the simpletons are still paying overseas aid to China and India and some of those who pay bigger pensions thsnn we do! ..
The waste is unbelievable across every Government department as we continue to pour money into nearly 700 quango's with little accountability of where the money actually goes.. but providing lots of jobs for the boys (and girls) who run them.
There are 100s of Lords and Ladies doing God knows what..and probablÿ fronting Quango's as well.
We have a massively wasteful system of local government and over 500,000 Simple Serpents who now mainly work from home on a median salary of £35k , managed by 50,000 people with median salaries of around £85k.
No doubt there will be another council tax hike this year, Rochdales 60 councillors cost us £900,000 a year in expenses and allowances.. add on the cost of the Greater Manchester Authority and the £ 1.7 million they splurged on the cycle path through Castleton... I am yet to see anyone using it to commute to Manchester , but still if you talk to your councillor , it was " free" money .. the economic ignorance is staggering....

I agree on the point on local government and given the fact that a fair few councils (100+), without financial intervention, will be going off a cliff in just over 2 years’ time. There needs to be a massive re-think of what people want from local government.
In order to improve, the following needs to happen:

• get social services the hell out of there, it is not a council function it is an NHS function.
• Merge the District Councils (tier 2) with the county Councils (tier 1) to create Unitary Councils i.e. Hertfordshire has 10 District Councils and 1 County, merge them into 2 Unitary Councils.
• Service provision re-calibration – Manchester has 10 Metropolitan Councils with each having their own department that could easily be merged or have one lead provider i.e. payroll could be administered for all 10 by 2 Councils, Business rates could be provided by one for all 10, same with Council Tax. This is the big win here, redeploy the excess to shore up other departments.
• Dispense with the grand initiatives of making it the Borough of choice for employers etc and just focus on delivering the basic services.
• Council tax rises are like state pension increases, there will be one every year.
Paul Waugh on 13:45 - Sep 11 with 711 viewsBigKindo

Paul Waugh on 23:47 - Sep 10 by ArthurDaley

£460 8/9 £ a week easily swallowed up by increases in gas / electric and council tax.

Rachel Reeves has defended her decision to claim £4,400 to heat her second home a day after MPs voted to scrap winter fuel payments for 10 million pensioners.

The Chancellor justified the taxpayer-funded expenses bill as pensioners prepare to lose the payment of up to £300.

More than 50 Labour MPs defied Sir Keir Starmer on Tuesday and refused to vote for his plan.

Rachel Reeves claimed £4,400 of taxpayer cash towards her energy bills. In the past five years alone, she has claimed £3,700, Telegraph analysis reveals.

Asked whether it is fair that taxpayers cover the heating bill on her second home, the Chancellor told GB News: “Well, being a constituency MP means that you have to have a house in London as well as, of course, living in the constituency, and that’s the same for all MPs.

“Those are long standing rules. I am determined to ensure that the poorest pensioners are protected and will still get winter fuel payments, and indeed, to ensure that pension incomes continue to increase with the triple lock.”
Paul Waugh on 14:08 - Sep 11 with 647 viewsDalenet

Paul Waugh on 13:45 - Sep 11 by BigKindo

Rachel Reeves has defended her decision to claim £4,400 to heat her second home a day after MPs voted to scrap winter fuel payments for 10 million pensioners.

The Chancellor justified the taxpayer-funded expenses bill as pensioners prepare to lose the payment of up to £300.

More than 50 Labour MPs defied Sir Keir Starmer on Tuesday and refused to vote for his plan.

Rachel Reeves claimed £4,400 of taxpayer cash towards her energy bills. In the past five years alone, she has claimed £3,700, Telegraph analysis reveals.

Asked whether it is fair that taxpayers cover the heating bill on her second home, the Chancellor told GB News: “Well, being a constituency MP means that you have to have a house in London as well as, of course, living in the constituency, and that’s the same for all MPs.

“Those are long standing rules. I am determined to ensure that the poorest pensioners are protected and will still get winter fuel payments, and indeed, to ensure that pension incomes continue to increase with the triple lock.”

I accept that MPs need to live somewhere whilst in London on House of Commons business. But it is a bit of a scam in that the state doesn't benefit from the capital gain made on such second homes when they cease to be an MP. The state should build a large hotel style property close to Westminster with every MP being allocated a room. That would take the need away and ensure that MPs only need travel costs reimbursed. Long term the state gains.
Paul Waugh on 14:12 - Sep 11 with 639 viewsjudd

Paul Waugh on 14:08 - Sep 11 by Dalenet

I accept that MPs need to live somewhere whilst in London on House of Commons business. But it is a bit of a scam in that the state doesn't benefit from the capital gain made on such second homes when they cease to be an MP. The state should build a large hotel style property close to Westminster with every MP being allocated a room. That would take the need away and ensure that MPs only need travel costs reimbursed. Long term the state gains.

...or put that boat from Poole Harbour on the Thames for them.

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024