Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One year yesterday Russell Martin joined Southampton. 08:17 - Jun 22 with 453 viewsareasix

My thoughts are that it has been a success as although he has had a lot of stick for the way of playing and never changing it whoever and his game management as a manager he has been good for us.
Got a team that was lacking any belief, believing again after a disastrous past season.
Seems to have everyone within the club pulling in one direction and if not he is not standing in anyone’s way to leave.
Changed the whole way the players are coached and playing although that has taken some time.
The way we play is not without risk which some supporters cannot and will not buy into but that is everyone’s choice.
Most of his loan players have been a real success which appears to be his influence by who arrived.
Lost some expensive transfers early on in the job but has got on with the job and has achieved the first goal of returning to the Prem.
Gave us all one of our greatest memories of being a Saints supporter last season at Wembley.

This season will be a real test , he needs to strengthen the side in multipule positions using basement transfers and loans but appears to be adding experience to the dressing room which is a plus after our learnings of two years ago.
He needs to keep his job and that will be his hardest challenge as St Mary’s can go toxic very quickly and I just hope that even if we are losing games the support / management will stick with him for the whole season as changing managers so regularly makes you spiral into eventually the championship and beyond and if we don’t watch it we could end up with Southgate , Moyes or Harry as our next manager! And I for one has found it refreshing for someone to come along with fresh ideas to a club.

Anyway that’s my review look forward to hearing what others think.

One year yesterday Russell Martin joined Southampton. on 13:32 - Jun 22 with 319 viewsMonksway

Completely agree. I think Sport Republic, Jason Wilcox ans Russell Martin did a remarkable job last year. We were a disorganised rabble and far worse than the other relegated teams. The clear out and money from transfers was really good. The incoming players all made a contribution and RM created a strong collective identity in terms of behaviour and playing style. It will be really, really hard next year and I am fully expecting a relegation battle and some real drubbings but we need to keep faith with RM as your alternative means we are back to square one.
One year yesterday Russell Martin joined Southampton. on 13:40 - Jun 22 with 311 viewsSouthamptonfan

After his appointment, I was dubious but my opinion started to change quickly. He managed to get players onside, who were playing badly the previous year. He was positive and determined. We then went on that unbeaten run. We got promoted, he did what he was asked to do, full credit to him.

The way we approached / managed the play offs and then the Wembley final was particularly impressive I thought. We always lose finals, even with experienced managers but not this time. RM outthought Farke, we played with real professionalism, resilience and a calm style and got the job done. I think Martin did an excellent job. Looking forward to see what he can do in the PL.

Interestingly, even Nick lost faith in him, but he did what we haven't done since 76, and that's win a major final. Personally, I like him, and I think he could become a great manager actually.
[Post edited 22 Jun 13:44]

Poll: Who are you voting for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024