Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terry Venables RIP 12:17 - Nov 26 with 27297 viewsaston_hoop

Terry Venables has passed away at the age of 80. Very sad news

http://www.skysports.com/share/13016445

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Terry Venables RIP on 12:57 - Nov 26 with 2415 viewspaulparker

Terry Venables RIP on 12:48 - Nov 26 by Northernr

God this really is a period of time that just keeps on giving isn't it? What a horrible piece of news to wake up for.

Best stories and memories you guys have got post them here and I'll put a piece together in lieu of the Stoke preview tomorrow.

Look forward to that North because all we are going to hear is what a spurs legend he was
They even clipped us out of the SKY documentary a couple of years ago

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Terry Venables RIP on 12:57 - Nov 26 with 2420 viewsdsw2509

I’m so sad to hear this news. Terry was the best manager we have ever had, or probably will ever have. I always remember that clip where he is practicing ball as kills alongside other players. Motty did a voiceover for a history of MOTD ‘20 years later he would manage England’. Rather well, actually.

Rest in peace, El Tel.
Terry Venables RIP on 13:00 - Nov 26 with 2403 viewsAndybrat

Amazing gaffer. Don’t know what he did but he made internationals out of our players. I was 20 in 1982 what a time to follow our team. Barcelona saw it, Spurs saw it but best of all I saw it on the plastic pitch and in the performance of the guys. He was the one you would have got out of the trenches and followed, you wouldn’t know why but just did. Thing is we have never matched him since. Glen Roeder the perfect skipper. Sad sad day, need a win Tuesday for El Tel
Terry Venables RIP on 13:02 - Nov 26 with 2391 viewsconnell10

Blimey , Good Manager for us and by all accounts a good player ....RIP Tel

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Terry Venables RIP on 13:04 - Nov 26 with 2379 viewslightwaterhoop

A brilliant coach,his team gave me so many happy times both home and away.

Thanks Terry and RIP.
Terry Venables RIP on 13:06 - Nov 26 with 2359 viewsNoelmc

Very sad news.

A great player for us and an even better manager.

Also IMHO the best England manager since Sir Alf. The 1996 Euros team were fantastic to watch and that was down to his coaching and man-management skills. I'd definitely recommend watching the 2021 documentary on him 'Terry Venables: A man can dream'. Focuses on the 96 Euros but covers the rest of his career as well.

RIP Terry.
Terry Venables RIP on 13:08 - Nov 26 with 2325 viewsJules4367

He was a master of the 'trick' free kick ...someone may correct me as I am not up on Chelsea history but I read there was an occasion where he said to Charlie Cook or Bobby Tambling ?? that he would walk through the wall and, the moment the wall parted, they were to shoot and so he did!

The free kicks where Francis was on the end to the wall and Venables flicked the ball over for Francis to volley was, I believe, his idea. It didn't always work, but did at least once and that was great to see.

Yes it is sad, but with all such sad things, try to look and remember as this thread at what he did and smile...a great talent, personality and don't forget his "They used to play on grass' novel!

RIP Terry
Terry Venables RIP on 13:08 - Nov 26 with 2321 viewsted_hendrix

I was walking down South Africa road a few years ago about an hour before kick off, there was a bit of a commotion ahead of me and as I got nearer It was caused by a big crowd who had gathered around Terry as he got out of a car, he looked In great condition and was immaculately dressed, crombie coat, the works.
A 100% proper bloke.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Terry Venables RIP on 13:09 - Nov 26 with 2315 viewsNorthantsHoop

What a joy Terry Venables was to watch in a QPR shirt and as our manager in the early 80s. It was fantastic as a teenager watching QPR under Terry from 1980 to 1984, Loftus Road was rocking under him had some brilliant times home and away. RIP Mr Venables you were a true legend.
Terry Venables RIP on 13:10 - Nov 26 with 2299 viewsMrSheen

Terry Venables RIP on 12:56 - Nov 26 by BostonR

Clive - he mastered the off-side trap in the early 80’s. Away from home his team was almost impossible to break down but they could really play! Went to many away games and you could literally hear him instructing the movement of the whole team. So impressive.

I was going to say, I raise my right hand in tribute, like Terry Fenwick leading the back four up together.
Terry Venables RIP on 13:12 - Nov 26 with 2288 viewsT_Block

Yes he was playing in the first game I ever went to.Met him once got a programme signed looking at it now,I remember him leading the team out at Wembley in 82.Very sad ,Check out Gary Nevilles comments on him.Unbelievable and true.
Terry Venables RIP on 13:13 - Nov 26 with 2279 viewsPaddyhoops

RIP . A true club legend.
Terry Venables RIP on 13:15 - Nov 26 with 2257 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Those years with him managing, we really were something!

Thank you Terry for the wonderful time your brilliance gave us. You really will be missed.

RIP Tel.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Terry Venables RIP on 13:23 - Nov 26 with 2204 viewsBlue_Castello

Rip Tel you gave me some great memories both as a player and a manager, as somebody has already said he was way ahead of his time as a coach which is why he ended up at Barcelona and loved watching him pulling the strings in midfield something that we desperately need now.
Terry Venables RIP on 13:24 - Nov 26 with 2190 viewsflynnbo

One of the best we’ve had. First player to represent his country at every level. Multi talented man with a cheeky side. RIP Tel.
Terry Venables RIP on 13:31 - Nov 26 with 2147 viewsQPROslo

Terry Venables RIP on 13:23 - Nov 26 by Blue_Castello

Rip Tel you gave me some great memories both as a player and a manager, as somebody has already said he was way ahead of his time as a coach which is why he ended up at Barcelona and loved watching him pulling the strings in midfield something that we desperately need now.

I first saw him play in a West London Shools game in the early 60's I think. He stood out in full control of the midfield and the game. A great Manager and player. RIP Tel!
Terry Venables RIP on 13:33 - Nov 26 with 2126 viewsSonofpugwash

Bollocks.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Terry Venables RIP on 13:39 - Nov 26 with 2096 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Terry Venables RIP on 13:33 - Nov 26 by Sonofpugwash

Bollocks.

Yes it is isn't it!

I can't help coming back to two questions about our Tel: What would we have gone on to do but for Barce poaching him? And what would England have done in 98 if he had remained in charge?

Seems an even greater loss when you consider the possible answers to those questions.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Terry Venables RIP on 13:39 - Nov 26 with 2096 viewsDeanoMD

Greatest manager we've ever had in my lifetime.

Proper Rangers legend, unlike the dross that we've had play for and manager us over recent years.

No one comes close to what he did for us.

RIP Tel....
Terry Venables RIP on 13:40 - Nov 26 with 2082 viewsNed_Kennedys

His QPR manager years coincided with my early years of going regularly to games: always felt we were going to win 4-0 at home as it seemed a regular score back in those days! Tight at the back but goals as well: perfect. Had the tactical nous to grind out away wins as well when necessary.

Great manager for England as well: so unlucky not to win Euro 96. No England manager has been at his level since and it’s a real pity his term was a short one.
Terry Venables RIP on 13:43 - Nov 26 with 2056 viewsnumptydumpty

Terry Venables RIP on 13:33 - Nov 26 by Sonofpugwash

Bollocks.

Yep !!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Terry Venables RIP on 13:45 - Nov 26 with 2047 viewsDWQPR

Totally gutted. A genius of a man. And am convinced that had he stayed that Rangers would have won the league at some point or a few cups. A proper QPR legend.

RIP TV

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Terry Venables RIP on 13:47 - Nov 26 with 2034 viewsCateLeBonR

RIP Terry.
Terry Venables RIP on 13:52 - Nov 26 with 1995 viewsBoston

Terry Venables RIP on 12:57 - Nov 26 by paulparker

Look forward to that North because all we are going to hear is what a spurs legend he was
They even clipped us out of the SKY documentary a couple of years ago

I was flicking through UK radio stations and you'd have to beat it out of them to mention QPR. Considering the great man had stated coming to Loftus Rd as pivotal in his later success, it is depressing how blinkered the media are.

I now hear he'd been sick for months, that true?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Terry Venables RIP on 13:56 - Nov 26 with 1972 viewsNov77

Wonder what he thought watching our clubs slow demise over recent years, as both a player and a manger he did so much to bring out the best in those around him.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2023 13:57]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024