Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches 05:35 - May 17 with 8768 viewswesty

I realise I may get a few pelters for this but it’s true.

Look at Luton v Sunderland last night in the play off.
Luton 37% possession win the game 2 - 0 tbf quite comfortably.
They had more total shots 16 - 11
More on target 5 - 1
Committed more fouls 12 - 9
Had more corners 7 - 5
Yet nearly 200 less completed passes 283 - 479.

Proof if needed that hard work, solid grit and determination can and more often than the purists would like to admit does result in winning football matches.

You need a certain type of player to achieve this and yes it’s usually the teams with the lighter budgets who adopt these tactics but does that make them less of a player.
So called flair players can sometimes lack the drive, the mentality and the total commitment required to get you out of a situation.
Going 1 -0 down with these type of players normally results in a defeat. However with the more industrial type of player they have the belief and hunger to get back into these games and dig themselves out.

Look at some of our video training clips for example. And these are only short clips.
Certain players strutting around, posing, giving it large. These same players who give so little on a match day if it doesn’t go to plan from the outset. The same players constantly talking behind their hands giving out side eye.

No club in our position can afford to have too many of these types around.
One or two yes maybe as you certainly do need match winners as well, however any more and that’s where you see the little cliques appearing trying to disrupt.

Maybe as GA has stated this week that it is time for a reset and a realisation of where QPR actually sit right now.
But give me results over substance any day of the week.

I wonder who the happier supporters are this morning Luton or Sunderland

[Post edited 17 May 2023 5:43]
Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 18:19 - May 18 with 1448 viewsE15Hoop

Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 17:25 - May 18 by WatfordR

If the new fashion is to only have 20% possession, and both teams play that way, what is going to be happening the other 60% of the time?

The ball will be out of play and the players sh*thousing, as is generally the case at the moment.
Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 22:15 - May 18 with 1358 viewsHAYESBOY

Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 17:25 - May 18 by WatfordR

If the new fashion is to only have 20% possession, and both teams play that way, what is going to be happening the other 60% of the time?

Keep an eye on the ref??

Smells like a trout farm in here

Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 19:16 - May 20 with 1214 viewsloftboy

Forest currently beating arsenal with 18% possession, 7 minutes left.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 19:33 - May 20 with 1195 viewshantssi

Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 19:16 - May 20 by loftboy

Forest currently beating arsenal with 18% possession, 7 minutes left.

Finished, Forest win with 18%, stay up and help Man City win the Prem at the same time!
Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 12:16 - May 21 with 1069 viewsR_from_afar

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

Arsenal have struggled with Saliba out injured

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 14:41 - May 21 with 986 viewsderbyhoop

I want to see us with good levels of possession. But I also want to see us using that possession effectively to create and take clear cut chances.

To do both, we'll need to be much more athletic and fitter.
GA + Les et al will have their hands full trying to overhaul this season's squad in the next 2 months.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 21:38 - May 22 with 850 viewsloftboy

Newcastle v Leicester currently 87% -17%. 22 shots to zero and currently 0-0 with minutes to go.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 21:49 - May 22 with 824 viewsToast_R

Leicester bloody awful under Dean Smith. He was a terrible appointment for them.
Login to get fewer ads

Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 21:52 - May 22 with 812 viewsLimehouseR

Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 21:49 - May 22 by Toast_R

Leicester bloody awful under Dean Smith. He was a terrible appointment for them.

Agreed, if I was a Leicester fan I would be absolutely furious. They really have to win this otherwise it is pretty much relegation for them, a point is pretty useless for them. I get keeping things tight but you have to go for it at some point other than the 90th minute!
Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 21:56 - May 22 with 801 viewsManinBlack

Thought it was a must win for Leicester tonight so they have one shot in 95 minutes. Strange approach to winning a game they really needed to win as surely Everton will beat Bournemouth at home?
Possession doesn’t necessarily win football matches on 21:59 - May 22 with 793 viewsToast_R

Someone needed to tell the Leicester players a point isn't much good to them. P*ssballing about when Newcastle were there for the taking in the last 10 minutes. What were they thinking? Braindead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024