Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We need Hilly back 16:52 - Feb 18 with 10242 viewsDale4life

We need Hill back, he as been a manager for us twice and we have been promoted twice, one of hilly best saying is " I do not care how many they score as long as we score one more than they do" and all the broken toys he as mended and gone to earn Rochdale afc a hell of a lot of money
(We are the Dale and the Dale are us)

Up the Dale

We need Hilly back on 20:40 - Feb 19 with 2732 viewsbluevein64

We need Hilly back on 19:20 - Feb 19 by borodale

Replacing the manager is not the answer. Until we clear out the numerous bad eggs in this squad and are in a position to revitalise with players who want to perform. These players won't perform for anybody.

I'm glad that you've raised this point regarding the "Bad Eggs" Borodale however, it's easier said than done, you've said it "These players won't perform for anybody" therefore, if no other Club will want them then how might we get shot of them ? those "Bad Eggs" players are sitting safe and sound on contracts until Summer of 2024 - with no other Clubs coming to our rescue and taking them off our hands , they're not going anywhere, why should they, it's not their fault that Robbie gave Bad Eggs big contracts, it seems that unless they are paid off we're stuck with them it seems !
We need Hilly back on 20:46 - Feb 19 with 2702 viewsdalenumber2

Hill? An absolute NO from me. He’s had his day and I never again want to hear his mad rants blaming the fans each time we lose. If Bentley goes, I really believe that Hill is not the answer we are looking for, although I don’t know who is.
We need Hilly back on 09:50 - Feb 20 with 2343 viewsbluevein64

We need Hilly back on 20:46 - Feb 19 by dalenumber2

Hill? An absolute NO from me. He’s had his day and I never again want to hear his mad rants blaming the fans each time we lose. If Bentley goes, I really believe that Hill is not the answer we are looking for, although I don’t know who is.

I've just received a third or fourth hand text claiming to have originated from someone in the know that negotiations' are underway to " Bring Hilly Home" I realise that this may well be a prank however, the person who text me is an honest, reliable and genuine sort !
We need Hilly back on 10:08 - Feb 20 with 2290 viewsAtThePeake

I do find it interesting that people don't want Hill back due to his character when under our current board we've brought in two 'nice bloke' managers who have been up there with the worst we've ever had.

I couldn't care less what Hill says in interviews, I couldn't care less what Stockdale or Bentley said in interviews. I want to see a team that battles as hard as it can to win football matches again, anything else is superfluous.

Tangled up in blue.

We need Hilly back on 10:31 - Feb 20 with 2218 viewsTalkingSutty

We need Hilly back on 10:08 - Feb 20 by AtThePeake

I do find it interesting that people don't want Hill back due to his character when under our current board we've brought in two 'nice bloke' managers who have been up there with the worst we've ever had.

I couldn't care less what Hill says in interviews, I couldn't care less what Stockdale or Bentley said in interviews. I want to see a team that battles as hard as it can to win football matches again, anything else is superfluous.

Hill collected players like stamps in the end, probably the biggest squad we have ever had. We couldn't stop shipping goals and couldn't defend set pieces, he constantly played players out of position and his selections were bizarre in the end. Anybody remember Andrew and Henderson both playing in defence on the odd occasion?

If he hadn't have been sacked I think we would have almost certainly been relegated..he lost the plot. Having said all of that a lot of things were going on in the background and that has to be taken into account. His bizarre interviews and rants did him no favours once we started to lose games, that was always going to be the case. BBM saved us that season, that's the only credit I will give him though. Would I give Hill another go? Yes i would but Askey would be my first choice.
We need Hilly back on 11:13 - Feb 20 with 2120 viewsDaleiLama

Four post-war managers with a win% >40 and two were Hilly.

I'd rather we rolled the dice on him or Askey than stay pat and go down without a whimper. If either could get a couple of free-agent mercenaries in who could do a job until the end of the season, do that too.

I sat watching on Saturday with no idea what the plan was. We made three subs and I still had no idea what the plan was. EBJ can't get it done. That's a fact. We have a big enough body of evidence to make that assertion. Whatever we try, it has to be better than watching this slow, painful death unfold in front of us. Anything to get us out of this stupour.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

We need Hilly back on 11:52 - Feb 20 with 2021 viewsBrierls

I completely agree. I've always found it bizarre that some fans want their belly tickled by the manager. I couldn't give a shiny shite what is said in an interview, the only thing that matters is what's produced on the pitch.
We need Hilly back on 12:19 - Feb 20 with 1923 views49thseason

I dont understand the need for pre and post match interviews, pre-match is more useful to the opposition than the fans. Post-match interviews don't tell us anything we dont already know. Perhaps the solution is to do a weekly interview on Wednesday encompassing the whole of the previous weeks business when emotions have calmed a little and there is no real advantage to be given to the opposition. At the moment Bentley is coming across as a defeated man and the players must be picking up on it too. He needs to clear his head and stop the flow of consciousness nonsense that spews out just after the match. Better to say nowt and let people think you are out of your depth than keep talking and prove them correct.
Login to get fewer ads

We need Hilly back on 12:32 - Feb 20 with 1881 viewsChris1803

We need Hilly back on 12:19 - Feb 20 by 49thseason

I dont understand the need for pre and post match interviews, pre-match is more useful to the opposition than the fans. Post-match interviews don't tell us anything we dont already know. Perhaps the solution is to do a weekly interview on Wednesday encompassing the whole of the previous weeks business when emotions have calmed a little and there is no real advantage to be given to the opposition. At the moment Bentley is coming across as a defeated man and the players must be picking up on it too. He needs to clear his head and stop the flow of consciousness nonsense that spews out just after the match. Better to say nowt and let people think you are out of your depth than keep talking and prove them correct.

Mundane answer as this is, but my understanding is that it's a requirement for all PL/EFL clubs to conduct post-match interviews with either the manager, or assistant, shortly after the full time whistle.

Not sure for certain if there are league rules that make it a necessity any lower, but in my experience post match interviews are conducted at National League/NLN, Northern Prem clubs etc, and have been for years.

Pre match interviews I don't think are within the league requirements, but are commonplace in the game, which is why they can be done by either management or any of the players.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2023 12:34]
We need Hilly back on 12:35 - Feb 20 with 1864 viewsDaleFan7

We need Hilly back on 11:52 - Feb 20 by Brierls

I completely agree. I've always found it bizarre that some fans want their belly tickled by the manager. I couldn't give a shiny shite what is said in an interview, the only thing that matters is what's produced on the pitch.

Which in the latter part of his tenure was absolute garbage.
We need Hilly back on 12:40 - Feb 20 with 1836 viewsBrierls

We need Hilly back on 12:35 - Feb 20 by DaleFan7

Which in the latter part of his tenure was absolute garbage.

I completely agree. Hilly had to go. As TS said above, he'd lost the plot. But he had to go because of what was happening on the pitch, not because of what he said before or after games.
We need Hilly back on 12:44 - Feb 20 with 1816 viewsD_Alien

We need Hilly back on 12:19 - Feb 20 by 49thseason

100% agree

The modern 'media-led' interview is a scourge that i stopped inflicting on myself some time ago (probably when BBM became unintelligible), except for the rare occasion where someone has pointed up something said that i'd go direct to if a time in the interview was given

Anything of value such as injury updates can be posted on the OS. If there's some kind of contractual requirement, does that come from the club or elsewhere, such as the EFL? If it's from the club, let's get rid of it, starting with the next appointment

Perhaps a short 5 minute-max intro interview, and a mid-season update could be tolerated. The rest is just adding fuel to a fire, or if we happened to start winning again, a happy clappy smiley session

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

We need Hilly back on 12:47 - Feb 20 with 1805 viewsDaleiLama

We need Hilly back on 12:44 - Feb 20 by D_Alien

100% agree

The modern 'media-led' interview is a scourge that i stopped inflicting on myself some time ago (probably when BBM became unintelligible), except for the rare occasion where someone has pointed up something said that i'd go direct to if a time in the interview was given

Anything of value such as injury updates can be posted on the OS. If there's some kind of contractual requirement, does that come from the club or elsewhere, such as the EFL? If it's from the club, let's get rid of it, starting with the next appointment

Perhaps a short 5 minute-max intro interview, and a mid-season update could be tolerated. The rest is just adding fuel to a fire, or if we happened to start winning again, a happy clappy smiley session

If it's a requirement from the EFL, I'd be delighted if we dropped it as well. They've done nothing for us and as you say, the interviews do nothing to better anything. Utter waste of time and energy.

We need Hilly back on 13:01 - Feb 20 with 1733 viewsBrierls

We need Hilly back on 12:47 - Feb 20 by DaleiLama

If it's a requirement from the EFL, I'd be delighted if we dropped it as well. They've done nothing for us and as you say, the interviews do nothing to better anything. Utter waste of time and energy.

Can we stop hiding behind the EFL bashing? We are not where we are because of the EFL. If anything, they kept us up last season by placing us under a transfer embargo in the summer of 2021, thus not letting Stockdale get his first choice signings. We all know how that goes!

Pre/Post match interviews are part and parcel of the football 'experience'. Getting upset about them, mainly because we're in a mess, is just dummy spitting.
We need Hilly back on 13:12 - Feb 20 with 1699 viewssurb_dale

We need Hilly back on 12:47 - Feb 20 by DaleiLama

If the line of questioning by the interviewer was a bit more forthright about reasons for team selection and subs then i'd be all for seeing/hearing manager interviews post match but realistically thats not going to happen.

At the moment the interviewer asks one question and receives a 10 minute ramble from Bentley thats pretty much a rinse and repeat of a previous interview.
We need Hilly back on 13:16 - Feb 20 with 1672 views49thseason

Hill was the unquestioned leader of the pack at Spotland and to be fair they were the best times I have seen in 63 seasons and that includes Stokoe and Richley. We desperately need his single-mindedness right now and will need it even more if we are relegated. Its clear Bentley doesn't know whether to stick or twist with any of his players, I doubt KH has ever had a moment of uncertainty about anyone.
I personally think the Bottomley rodent had decided his plans wouldnt work with KH at the club and was undermining him at every turn culminating in his dismissal at Luton. The results leading up to that had been awful, but then we dont know who else was undermining him, but we can probably guess.......He has had a good rest and time to sort his head out, if his batteries are fully charged and he is genuinely up for a fight I would send Bentley home on gardening leave this afternoon and put Hill in for tomorrows game.
We need Hilly back on 13:17 - Feb 20 with 1670 viewsD_Alien

We need Hilly back on 13:01 - Feb 20 by Brierls

Can we stop hiding behind the EFL bashing? We are not where we are because of the EFL. If anything, they kept us up last season by placing us under a transfer embargo in the summer of 2021, thus not letting Stockdale get his first choice signings. We all know how that goes!

Pre/Post match interviews are part and parcel of the football 'experience'. Getting upset about them, mainly because we're in a mess, is just dummy spitting.

You could be right. The correct course of action is therefore to ignore them completely, thus rendering them irrelevant

We need Hilly back on 13:42 - Feb 20 with 1604 viewssurb_dale

We need Hilly back on 13:16 - Feb 20 by 49thseason

Hill was the unquestioned leader of the pack at Spotland and to be fair they were the best times I have seen in 63 seasons and that includes Stokoe and Richley. We desperately need his single-mindedness right now and will need it even more if we are relegated. Its clear Bentley doesn't know whether to stick or twist with any of his players, I doubt KH has ever had a moment of uncertainty about anyone.
I personally think the Bottomley rodent had decided his plans wouldnt work with KH at the club and was undermining him at every turn culminating in his dismissal at Luton. The results leading up to that had been awful, but then we dont know who else was undermining him, but we can probably guess.......He has had a good rest and time to sort his head out, if his batteries are fully charged and he is genuinely up for a fight I would send Bentley home on gardening leave this afternoon and put Hill in for tomorrows game.

I think getting Hilly in to end of season would be good second option if we cant entice the likes of John Askey. I have my doubts that Askey would want to join especially at this moment in time with relegation looking a near certainty and our lack of finances.

Hills records at Scunthorpe (7.5% wins - 3 wins from 40) makes Bentleys record for us look semi-decent tho so i have my doubts he can work his magic anymore but at this stage we may as well roll the dice rather than do nothing.
We need Hilly back on 13:44 - Feb 20 with 1598 views49thseason

We need Hilly back on 13:17 - Feb 20 by D_Alien

You could be right. The correct course of action is therefore to ignore them completely, thus rendering them irrelevant

Indeed, Bentleys 6,7,8 minutes twice a week is way more than a person should be expected to bother with. If this rambling, repetitive monologue is at the behest of the EFL, it should be limited to 30 seconds comprising" We lost, again. I don't know why, there is nothing more I can do" or , "we are playing on Saturday and we will be travelling there by coach, I expect we will stop somewhere on the way there"
It serves no purpose , I doubt more than a couple of hundred people watch it all the way through. It would be much more fun if he just took the p*ss out of the whole thing. Or maybe he could act it out in rhyming couplets....?
We need Hilly back on 14:10 - Feb 20 with 1477 viewsD_Alien

We need Hilly back on 13:44 - Feb 20 by 49thseason

Indeed, Bentleys 6,7,8 minutes twice a week is way more than a person should be expected to bother with. If this rambling, repetitive monologue is at the behest of the EFL, it should be limited to 30 seconds comprising" We lost, again. I don't know why, there is nothing more I can do" or , "we are playing on Saturday and we will be travelling there by coach, I expect we will stop somewhere on the way there"
It serves no purpose , I doubt more than a couple of hundred people watch it all the way through. It would be much more fun if he just took the p*ss out of the whole thing. Or maybe he could act it out in rhyming couplets....?

My preference would be for Bentley to ask the interviewer questions

I can think of one or two

We need Hilly back on 14:20 - Feb 20 with 1459 viewsDaleiLama

We need Hilly back on 13:01 - Feb 20 by Brierls

For clarity, I don't think our demise has a jot to do with the EFL. It's open to debate when the rot set in - CD being forced out, DB forcing himself in, BBM winning the possession in our own half league but getting relegated from L1, but not due to the EFL. They just sit and fiddle while Rome burns. I think we should afford them the same courtesy. That's all.

We need Hilly back on 14:37 - Feb 20 with 1410 viewsDorkingDale

We need Hilly back on 18:09 - Feb 19 by Thacks_Rabbits

Hill then yes but Hill now I’m not as sure. Also think he would have achieved more with Flitcroft at that time but only my opinion.

He didn't manage to turn it around for Scunny......
We need Hilly back on 14:41 - Feb 20 with 1395 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

We need Hilly back on 13:44 - Feb 20 by 49thseason

Perhaps have a fan poll & do a song title related interview, how many can you shoe in in 5 mins? Could pick a decade or a band / artist? How about a few Smiths classics to get the ball rolling (as it were)
Panic
Heaven knows I’m miserable now (a current fan favourite)
What difference does it make?
Etc…
We need Hilly back on 15:48 - Feb 20 with 1189 viewsJames1980

If the squad really is that bad and no manager could get them playing well enough to get 24 points from the 42 points available putting us on 45 points (not guaranteeing safety), would Hill want to come back?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

We need Hilly back on 16:27 - Feb 20 with 1107 viewstony_roch975

We need Hilly back on 14:20 - Feb 20 by DaleiLama

For clarity, I don't think our demise has a jot to do with the EFL. It's open to debate when the rot set in - CD being forced out, DB forcing himself in, BBM winning the possession in our own half league but getting relegated from L1, but not due to the EFL. They just sit and fiddle while Rome burns. I think we should afford them the same courtesy. That's all.

...CD not going public about the need to bring in investment and his contact with Dan Altman ....

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024