Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 22:35 - Jul 3 with 4498 viewsSheffdale

I'm researching the 1988-89 shirt for an article and wondered what memories it conjured up? I saw decent players wear it like Shaun Reid, Dave Frain, Jason Smart, Keith Welch (but we still only finished 18th in the fourth tier!). That variation from the late 80s was the one with the blue watering can on a white patch which always seem to me to be sewn hastily onto the blue shirt. Any memories chaps?
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 22:41 - Jul 3 with 3647 views442Dale

It was first time we’d worn an all blue home strip, and was a nice design. The shorts were the same material as the shirt.

The away kit was the same design in yellow with blue trim. Instead of a patch the watering can was red for some unknown reason.

Both worn by Dave Sutton who had pink tape round his boots as George Oghani led him a merry dance.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 22:47 - Jul 3 with 3640 viewsSheffdale

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 22:41 - Jul 3 by 442Dale

It was first time we’d worn an all blue home strip, and was a nice design. The shorts were the same material as the shirt.

The away kit was the same design in yellow with blue trim. Instead of a patch the watering can was red for some unknown reason.

Both worn by Dave Sutton who had pink tape round his boots as George Oghani led him a merry dance.

Thank you. I thought you might pop up! As I'm sure you know, the red watering can featured on home shirts in seasons 84-85 and 85-86. I think I've seen the odd one on Exiles home days.
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 00:35 - Jul 4 with 3554 viewsFrog

I just remember the the droplet of water falling from the spout, or have I made that up?
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 07:14 - Jul 4 with 3486 viewsfitzochris

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 00:35 - Jul 4 by Frog

I just remember the the droplet of water falling from the spout, or have I made that up?

Depends if you’re talking about the watering can or something else...

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 07:28 - Jul 4 with 3473 viewsEllDale

That was the Danny Bergara season wasn't it?
Something exotic and different when he was appointed and yet he was off to Stockport in March 1989 taking several key players with him including Beaumont who I really rated.
To be fair to Bergara he encouraged a more expansive style of football.
Like a lot of other people I recall a classic FA cup replay against Huddersfield at Spotland when they had a winger called Junior Bent who led us a merry dance that night.
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 07:31 - Jul 4 with 3468 viewsSheffdale

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 00:35 - Jul 4 by Frog

Experts (spurts?) will be along to confirm but I think they were just tears of despair.
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 07:36 - Jul 4 with 3462 viewsSheffdale

I presume the owners of the garden centre were supporters. Does anyone know the story? The garden centre still exists. Are they still involved in any capacity with Rochdale AFC?
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 09:52 - Jul 4 with 3393 viewsblackdogblue

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 07:36 - Jul 4 by Sheffdale

I presume the owners of the garden centre were supporters. Does anyone know the story? The garden centre still exists. Are they still involved in any capacity with Rochdale AFC?

It’s still there in Castleton on the other side of the road from the Norton Grange Hotel & fooking expensive

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Login to get fewer ads

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 10:34 - Jul 4 with 3363 viewsCleedale

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 07:36 - Jul 4 by Sheffdale

Sorry if I've got this wrong but thought the "All-In-One..." did belong to Dave Sutton whose father had started it?

Overheard him saying pre-match day meal/breakfast at the opening of the new main stand...'92/'93?...that he was "just off to crown the brand new toilets..."

So, did we have a crown-green laid up there at the time or did we just stick to the watering can; ALL droplets shaken off like?
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 10:37]
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 10:41 - Jul 4 with 3352 viewsTVOS1907

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 10:34 - Jul 4 by Cleedale

Sorry if I've got this wrong but thought the "All-In-One..." did belong to Dave Sutton whose father had started it?

Overheard him saying pre-match day meal/breakfast at the opening of the new main stand...'92/'93?...that he was "just off to crown the brand new toilets..."

So, did we have a crown-green laid up there at the time or did we just stick to the watering can; ALL droplets shaken off like?
[Post edited 4 Jul 2019 10:37]

Sutton ran a garden centre near to Preston after he finished with football.

A bloke called Dave Stafford owned All-in-One, I think.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 10:59 - Jul 4 with 3329 viewsCleedale

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 10:41 - Jul 4 by TVOS1907

Sutton ran a garden centre near to Preston after he finished with football.

A bloke called Dave Stafford owned All-in-One, I think.

Thanks TVOS.

Getting dysexlia and possible grey-matter dehydiolysation mixed up!

Must top-up that watering can...and drink more!

Back to original topic, EVERY other club and their supporters remembered that watering can - very good advertising!? Whether they remember because "whatever other footie club would have that as a symbol."

At least our watering can (Dale's) is still half full whereas so many run on empty or have permanent holes or just don't exist anymore.

Which reminds me of a line from a famous tune...

"There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza, there's a hole in my bucket dear Liza, a hole."
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 11:22 - Jul 4 with 3307 viewsForever_and_a_Dale

Found this shirt on Ebay last summer. It had managed to find itself in the Ukraine. Supposedly an XL but fits like a medium so sadly I can't really wear it without it looking like a sports bra on me. Lovely shirt though and definitely memorable. I'll have to dig it out tonight.
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 12:00 - Jul 4 with 3262 viewsCrede_Sign0

I have the blue one - where the watering can was mounted on a white square. Great shirt - and it baffles me why the club shop don’t get a load run off for sale in the club shop. I’m sure The All in One GC would be up for it as well - And the blue one for me is better than any of the toffs offerings. Fairly sure mine will be at my Mum’s somewhere - I will see if I can locate it. If memory serves the club badge was embroidered and really good - Bizarrely though there seemed no sign on the early ones of any kit manufacturer.
Didn’t we have a red can (or was it black) on the yellow away shirt - I’m sure we had on against Palace in the FA Cup?? And thinking of other kits, does anyone remember an all red away shirt?? I have a vague recollection of Peter Costello scoring in red??
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 12:19 - Jul 4 with 3226 views442Dale

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 12:00 - Jul 4 by Crede_Sign0

I have the blue one - where the watering can was mounted on a white square. Great shirt - and it baffles me why the club shop don’t get a load run off for sale in the club shop. I’m sure The All in One GC would be up for it as well - And the blue one for me is better than any of the toffs offerings. Fairly sure mine will be at my Mum’s somewhere - I will see if I can locate it. If memory serves the club badge was embroidered and really good - Bizarrely though there seemed no sign on the early ones of any kit manufacturer.
Didn’t we have a red can (or was it black) on the yellow away shirt - I’m sure we had on against Palace in the FA Cup?? And thinking of other kits, does anyone remember an all red away shirt?? I have a vague recollection of Peter Costello scoring in red??

Yep, red watering can on the yellow 88/89 shirt. The yellow and black away kit was the season after at Palace with the black sponsor.

The red away kit Costello scored in was a Ribero third kit used in the 90/91 season when we wore blue at home and white away. This led to clashes against teams in blue and white stripes - the Costello goal was at Hartlepool when we came from two down to get a point. We really messed around with the numbers that night too; Costello was in 7, Peter Ward in 10.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 12:42 - Jul 4 with 3200 viewsCrede_Sign0

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 12:19 - Jul 4 by 442Dale

Yep, red watering can on the yellow 88/89 shirt. The yellow and black away kit was the season after at Palace with the black sponsor.

The red away kit Costello scored in was a Ribero third kit used in the 90/91 season when we wore blue at home and white away. This led to clashes against teams in blue and white stripes - the Costello goal was at Hartlepool when we came from two down to get a point. We really messed around with the numbers that night too; Costello was in 7, Peter Ward in 10.

Superb!! Thanks 442Dale
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 12:53 - Jul 4 with 3184 viewsTVOS1907

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 12:19 - Jul 4 by 442Dale

If only someone would write a season-long programme article on kits Dale have worn....

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 12:55 - Jul 5 with 3030 viewsSheffdale

I just had a lovely chat with Jason Stafford, son of the late Dave who founded the garden centre business. The family business is still thriving. Dave evidently described his investment in the club as the best pound for pound marketing he'd ever done. Years after the sponsorship ended, people were still coming into the garden centre saying didn't you used to sponsor the Dale? With that logo, I'm not surprised.
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 15:08 - Jul 5 with 2932 viewsYorkshire_Dale

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 12:55 - Jul 5 by Sheffdale

I just had a lovely chat with Jason Stafford, son of the late Dave who founded the garden centre business. The family business is still thriving. Dave evidently described his investment in the club as the best pound for pound marketing he'd ever done. Years after the sponsorship ended, people were still coming into the garden centre saying didn't you used to sponsor the Dale? With that logo, I'm not surprised.

This thread needs to be brought to the attention of Frances the Marketing guru at t'Dale!

Pity she will be basking in the sun in Portugal?

Get round to the All in One and get them signed up for some more good sponsorship.
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 15:13 - Jul 5 with 2925 viewsEllDale

Did they sponsor the plants for the Wonderwall at the back of the Sandy or was it Gordon Rigg?
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 15:17 - Jul 5 with 2924 viewsYorkshire_Dale

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 15:13 - Jul 5 by EllDale

Did they sponsor the plants for the Wonderwall at the back of the Sandy or was it Gordon Rigg?

That was Riggs.....and a nice job it is too!
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 15:23 - Jul 5 with 2917 viewsTVOS1907

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 15:08 - Jul 5 by Yorkshire_Dale

This thread needs to be brought to the attention of Frances the Marketing guru at t'Dale!

Pity she will be basking in the sun in Portugal?

Get round to the All in One and get them signed up for some more good sponsorship.

I bet she isn't.

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 17:01 - Jul 5 with 2844 viewsSheffdale

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 15:23 - Jul 5 by TVOS1907

I bet she isn't.

While not conclusive, there are no club videos on Twitter of her bending the ball past Josh on the training pitches of Portugal.
All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 19:15 - Jul 5 with 2780 viewsThacks_Rabbits

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 17:01 - Jul 5 by Sheffdale

While not conclusive, there are no club videos on Twitter of her bending the ball past Josh on the training pitches of Portugal.

Is the watering can shirt I donated for studs bar still there?

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 on 09:42 - Jul 7 with 2622 viewsFalingeParka

The All In One sponsorship came with some sort of tagline along the lines of 'helping the Dale to a rosy fuschia.' Boom!

ColonelHall

All in One Garden Centre shirt 1988-89 (n/t) on 10:19 - Jul 7 with 2598 viewsFrog

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024