Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Challenging penalty notice for stopping in a box junction - LBHF 21:00 - Mar 22 with 14825 viewsBilly_Kershaw

Wondering if any one has any advice?

I have just received a Penalty Charge Notice from HFBC for entering and stopping in a box junction. It was at the junction of Talgarth Road and Butterwick on the way home from Sunderland recently.

There was a huge traffic jam at the time, next to the Broadway shopping centre. I was already on the roundabout and it was one of those situations where traffic was so heavy, if you didn't enter the junction, you would never move due to traffic joining the roundabout ahead of you. The photos on the website show loads of drivers having to do the same thing.

Has anyone had any experience of challenging this type of decision? It seems harsh, due to the volume of traffic at the time.

Thanks for any advice folks can offer!

Never use one or two words when a couple of thousand will easily do
Poll: REVISED EXPECTATIONS - Where will QPR finish this season?

Challenging penalty notice for stopping in a box junction - LBHF on 17:06 - Mar 23 with 2127 viewsGroveR

I was pinged in this box because my left rear tyre was on the last yellow line of the box. Didn't bother appealing but good luck if you do.
Challenging penalty notice for stopping in a box junction - LBHF on 17:13 - Mar 23 with 2115 viewsJuzzie

Challenging penalty notice for stopping in a box junction - LBHF on 15:40 - Mar 23 by Tonto

It comes down to budgets though... poeple expect stuff to happen, but dont realise just how much it costs.

these years of "austerity" coupled with the privitisation of so many elements of society (e.g. old peoples homes) have meant costs go up and budgets go down. Every Council is facing real financial problems.

And as those have pointed out a few selfish people go and spoil to for everyone.

but to say that Councils are brainless is ignorant at best, or ironically actually brainless.

(especially as half the repsonses on this thread have called the orginal reson for this post moneygrabbing/just for revenue or something along those lines. you cant have it both ways!)

A serious question if I may.... do you know if junctions or traffic flow leading up to them such as the one in the OP or the one in Parsons Green (Bagleys Lane), can be re-modelled so people do not continually get caught in? Surely the authorities have a duty to do so?

edit: not bashing you or councils but they seem to bring it upon themselves. Years ago someone I knew of who worked for my local council where I used to live was in a meeting where a senior figure said "we're out to fleece the Leaseholders". As a Leaseholder myself then, you can imagine I wan't best pleased to hear that.

When I was in conversation with them about an important aspect of the works they were doing to our block there was an important document I couldn't find which would have helped our case. I asked if they had a copy and they said 'no'. Two weeks after I paid the full amount, lo and behold they emailed it to me out of the blue. They had it all along. It really felt like a "ha ha ha, fk you" moment.

"Every Council is facing real financial problems." Really?....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/19/kensington-chelsea-council-has-2

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/revealed-the-eight-london-councils-that-made-

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3348254/Councils-make-record-sur

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/incredible-amount-councils-cashing-parking-942207

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8441699/Councils-sitting-on-cash-savin

The list is endless.

I understand reserves are there for a reason and there should be a reserve of some sort rather than zero but the figures are very high.
The money is there, it seems they're not spending it, everyone is suffering and I include ordinary people who work for the councils, and it's their duty to do so. They can't play God with public money and squirrel it away.

If it feels like there's a misunderstanding of the situation from the public point of view, what can Councils do to redress that (not making [or doing] the sort of comments I mentioned above might be a good start) because the general feeling is probably at a low ebb.

[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 17:40]
Challenging penalty notice for stopping in a box junction - LBHF on 17:28 - Mar 23 with 2100 viewscolinallcars

To be fair to LBHF who have been portrayed as the villains of the piece on this, they do, on their website give full explanations of how the yellow boxes work and how to avoid getting caught out. When I got caught it was because someone “ nicked “ the space I was about to drive into. Now I hang back but get abuse from motorists behind me. If people drove correctly there would be no need for boxes. When in a queue of traffic I always leave a gap where roads join so that people can pull out if need be. Trouble is, there have been times when the bloke behind overtakes me and stops in the gap I've left.
Challenging penalty notice for stopping in a box junction - LBHF on 17:32 - Mar 23 with 2098 viewsPinnerPaul

Challenging penalty notice for stopping in a box junction - LBHF on 14:28 - Mar 23 by Northernr

You do see council policies like that though and just think wtf are you doing?
Barnet Council have started charging you for them to come and pick up an old mattress or fridge - quite a bit too, £45 for a fridge and £57 for a mattress.
Result = all the greenspaces are being peppered with dumped mattresses and fridges. One fridge and two mattresses passed on a 40 minute run this morning.

Now surely it costs Barnet council more to send guys out all the time to fish mattresses and fridges out of rivers, woodland, allotments, dirt tracks etc than it would for them to send one van round the place once every couple of months to pick them up for free?

(Of course it would be nice if people weren't such ignorant, selfish cnts and just took their sht stained old bed to the tip, but that's just a pipe dream)

This post has been edited by an administrator

Shout out for Hillingdon Council

No Council tax rise for 10 years
Free weekly general refuse, recycling, garden waste & kitchen waste collections - and no ***** wheelie bins either.

Just introduced free bulky waste pick ups as well.

Plus free emergency call for the elderly.

My Mum lives down the road in Northolt, has to struggle with wheelie bins, fortnightly collections, has to pay for her garden waste to be collected and has to pay for her emergency help call out facility.
Challenging penalty notice for stopping in a box junction - LBHF on 17:41 - Mar 23 with 2090 viewsJuzzie

Challenging penalty notice for stopping in a box junction - LBHF on 17:28 - Mar 23 by colinallcars

To be fair to LBHF who have been portrayed as the villains of the piece on this, they do, on their website give full explanations of how the yellow boxes work and how to avoid getting caught out. When I got caught it was because someone “ nicked “ the space I was about to drive into. Now I hang back but get abuse from motorists behind me. If people drove correctly there would be no need for boxes. When in a queue of traffic I always leave a gap where roads join so that people can pull out if need be. Trouble is, there have been times when the bloke behind overtakes me and stops in the gap I've left.

If someone's space is nicked surely common sense should prevail and the fine waived? Better still, fine the person who nicked the space. It's all on video.

Maybe that'll stop them doing it again as it's hindering the traffic flow as well as unfairly reprimanding an innocent driver.

[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 17:44]
Challenging penalty notice for stopping in a box junction - LBHF on 20:58 - Mar 23 with 2025 viewsToast_R

Local council's have had their central goverment grants slashed significantly since the recession and have so find millions in savings across the board. The Council I work for have gone to town on raising revenue from PCNs and Enforcement costs. Our inhouse Enforcement team are absolutely raking it in. Hired lumps are making in excess of 100k a year working for us, serious serious dough.
Challenging penalty notice for stopping in a box junction - LBHF on 11:20 - Mar 24 with 1935 viewsPlanetHonneywood

My favourite council WTF story involves the LBofEaling.

I’d ambled down to the Town Hall and asked for a blue badge application form for my mum. There was none in reception and so I was told to ring the relevant department. So I did and was told, the forms are in reception!

I pointed that they weren’t and despite more staff than extras on the set of Zulu hanging around seemingly doing feck all, no one was capable or prepared to go to the first floor to get the forms. Just give me your address and I’ll post it to you was suggested.

Whereupon I said that I would happily walk up the stairs to them to not only get a form for my mum but also, I’d take some forms back down for the reception area or, they could throw the bloody forms down and I’d catch them!

The person put her hand over the phone and started talking to a colleague in an Eastern European language for what seemed a while before returning to me with her now considered and final response.

Seven days later, the form arrived in the post!!!!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024