Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where do we start? 18:10 - Aug 8 with 9339 viewsLowExpectations

There is one main reason we lost today, and that was due to the lack of tactical awareness from our manager Chris Ramsey. When playing a team known for their strength, height and overall reliance on physical prowess, it may seem simple to realise "hey, maybe we should play to their weaknesses", however, Chris Ramsey is oblivious to this. The only tactic seen today was what I call "The Sunday League kickabout". This 'tactic' entails kicking the ball as hard as you can to the striker and pray for the best, though it looks like we were praying to the wrong God. Austin was invisible except from a few good lay offs and shots early on in the game, though it seemed he was more interested in keeping himself fit so he can pass the medical for his new club (maybe Chris' idea?), and the least said about Henry the better. Despite this there was a player that stood out from the rest, and that was... Jamie Mackie. Despite many claiming he lacks the skill, I believe his passes and dribbling were menacing, though this can't be said for his woeful shot that was rewarded with a corner... Just. Moreover, when you bring on a 6"3 striker who is known for his aerial ability, you don't stick him on corner duty, you put him the key target man in the box. Despite the midfield and attacking performance (excluding Luongo who showed promise), the defence was relatively solid, and you can't blame them for the superb Tony Watt's goal. What are your thoughts about the game?
Where do we start? on 18:14 - Aug 8 with 6599 viewsessextaxiboy

We lost today because our goalkeeper made a mistake and our star striker was going through the motions . Add that to a couple of fullbacks never having played with their teamates before and we lost . 45 to go ...no need to panic ..
Where do we start? on 18:30 - Aug 8 with 6369 viewsBedford_R

Where do we start? on 18:14 - Aug 8 by essextaxiboy

We lost today because our goalkeeper made a mistake and our star striker was going through the motions . Add that to a couple of fullbacks never having played with their teamates before and we lost . 45 to go ...no need to panic ..

What he said. I was there and overheard a few fans saying it was the worse performance they had ever seen. Couldn't have been to many QPR games then.....

RMH_R Reborn

Where do we start? on 18:51 - Aug 8 with 6240 viewsenfieldargh

Apart from Mackie, Thought Chery was good and he and Luongo could form a useful attacking partnership.

sadly Matt 8million Phillips was realy poor and just stood about and waitied on the touch line.

Oh well, it been like weve never had a summer break.

Off to Yeovil Tuesday then onto the psychiatric ward.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Where do we start? on 18:59 - Aug 8 with 6178 viewsbrewers_hoop

Just back. To be honest not that disappointed. We did ok in the first half and looked the only team likely to score, with their keeper pulling off one smart save. They started to get into it towards the end of the half and came out of the traps much quicker after he break.

Perch, who had an up and down game, got done for the first and Green should have done better, but not much you can do about he second. Most disappointing was our set-pieces. We must have had 10 corners and half of them failed to clear the first man. Chery, who looked quite a handful overall, seemed to be taking all the set-pieces and none of them came to much - was surprised Phillips gave up his chance to take a free-kick so easily in the second half.

As for the players, the Chief was excellent in the first half particularly, Chery looks a good prospect and I was impressed with Luongo. A lot of them seemed to be blowing quite a bit in the second half though, which might not be entirely unrelated to our dodgy pre-season.

Konchesky I thought had a poor game - consistently lumping the ball upfield and giving away unnecessary fouls. Phillips had one of his games where nothing came off and Mackie was brilliant - shrugging off four challenges at one stage and geeing up the crowd at every opportunity.

As for Austin, he did Ok first half but I think fitness - as in lack of - was more the issue in the second half than disinterest. Ok, the rub of the hamstring with 5 mins to go was probably a bit dramatic, but knowing the game has gone and you've got a big move in the offing, can't really blame him. In the first half he wasn't shirking and was at full-stretch to make an important tackle in his own box. As for the 'fans' who booed him at the end - words fail me.

Overall, I think we'll be ok once the players get used to playing with one another, but on first look at JET and Poulter, another striker to replace Chas wouldn't go amiss.
Where do we start? on 19:18 - Aug 8 with 6040 viewsessextaxiboy

Where do we start? on 18:59 - Aug 8 by brewers_hoop

Just back. To be honest not that disappointed. We did ok in the first half and looked the only team likely to score, with their keeper pulling off one smart save. They started to get into it towards the end of the half and came out of the traps much quicker after he break.

Perch, who had an up and down game, got done for the first and Green should have done better, but not much you can do about he second. Most disappointing was our set-pieces. We must have had 10 corners and half of them failed to clear the first man. Chery, who looked quite a handful overall, seemed to be taking all the set-pieces and none of them came to much - was surprised Phillips gave up his chance to take a free-kick so easily in the second half.

As for the players, the Chief was excellent in the first half particularly, Chery looks a good prospect and I was impressed with Luongo. A lot of them seemed to be blowing quite a bit in the second half though, which might not be entirely unrelated to our dodgy pre-season.

Konchesky I thought had a poor game - consistently lumping the ball upfield and giving away unnecessary fouls. Phillips had one of his games where nothing came off and Mackie was brilliant - shrugging off four challenges at one stage and geeing up the crowd at every opportunity.

As for Austin, he did Ok first half but I think fitness - as in lack of - was more the issue in the second half than disinterest. Ok, the rub of the hamstring with 5 mins to go was probably a bit dramatic, but knowing the game has gone and you've got a big move in the offing, can't really blame him. In the first half he wasn't shirking and was at full-stretch to make an important tackle in his own box. As for the 'fans' who booed him at the end - words fail me.

Overall, I think we'll be ok once the players get used to playing with one another, but on first look at JET and Poulter, another striker to replace Chas wouldn't go amiss.

We need another strike that s for sure but to condemn JET and Polter (who I thought put himself about well ) on the strength of 10 minutes is harsh IMO
Where do we start? on 19:32 - Aug 8 with 5947 viewsbrewers_hoop

Where do we start? on 19:18 - Aug 8 by essextaxiboy

We need another strike that s for sure but to condemn JET and Polter (who I thought put himself about well ) on the strength of 10 minutes is harsh IMO

Not condemning them mate, just think we need another option if/when Austin goes.
Where do we start? on 19:37 - Aug 8 with 5898 viewsessextaxiboy

Where do we start? on 19:32 - Aug 8 by brewers_hoop

Not condemning them mate, just think we need another option if/when Austin goes.

You are not wrong , I am hoping we spend half the Charlie money on the Brentford bloke .
Where do we start? on 19:38 - Aug 8 with 5887 viewsJonDoeman

Cheers for that post Brewers Hoop. Its time to get behind Ramsey, even though I have my doubts about him & I'm still pissed off with him for making us worse last season. What he's trying to do will take time.

It Is What It Is !!

Login to get fewer ads

Where do we start? on 20:11 - Aug 8 with 5716 viewsSomersetHoops

I doubt it was tactical incompetence when we were on top in most of the first half with 60% possession and 7 corners. I suspect late team additions and our shambles of a pre-season have meant our players are far from match fit. We also have a main striker who expects not to be part of the team, so is not committed and isn't firing on all cylinders. I think most of the team simply ran out of steam after the first half hour.

It is a tough job to do what is necessary in one transfer window, but Les and Chris took it on. Now its Ramsey's job to get them fit and Ferdinand's job to fill the obvious gaps in defence and sort out Austin's situation and his replacement. If they want to keep their jobs they had better get on with it. Whoever was responsible for the waste of time in Italy can now see the result. Not only did it provide inadequate match practice it wasted time better spent dealing with the necessary player acquisitions and departures.

I still believe the team we will have when complete will be able to compete, but will lose some games. Todays game was one we should have got something out of if the team had been complete and properly prepared.

Who's Next?

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:12 - Aug 8 with 5714 viewsSomersetHoops

Who's Next?

Where do we start? on 20:50 - Aug 8 with 5504 viewsGetMeRangers

Where do we start? on 18:59 - Aug 8 by brewers_hoop

THIS!

I would add that Jamie has improved as a player since he left. Better awareness and better on the ball skill. Absolutely loved his performance today

Thought Ale should have come on earlierm as he is better at passing the ball than Henry (no pre-season). Konchesky... not a great game to say the least. His crossing was woeful at times. However, like others, he has barely been at the club 5 minutes

Austin was puffing and clearly unfit. Isnt rule one, not to play an unfit player too long or risk injury? Might have been better to bring Polter on earlier, though that also wouldn't have gone down well with the boo boys. What was that all about, going to sit in the stand all on his own?

Fantastic atmosphere for a lot of the game. Why didnt Charlton fans bother to turn up?

By the time we get to Wolves we will have had a proper pre-season, albeit 'in season'. Players will be more used to playing with each other, they will have sorted out set pieces (you hope) and who takes them and Samba will be back too. Ha ha
Where do we start? on 21:26 - Aug 8 with 5328 viewsLowExpectations

I see what you mean, but you can't deny the absence of real tactics. I understand that players take time to get used to a new club, but either the newbies (and some from last season) forgot all they had done in the limited training time, or they were actually following part of CRs tactics. I hope for the former as from the game I saw, it seems that CR is promoting a punt it up the pitch tactic. We lack midfield physicality except for Henry, though he looked piss poor today, so maybe we should be playing it more along the ground in the middle of the park, and slowly build up till a striker or wide player makes himself free. Another option would be to play doubles on either side and swing in cross after cross, letting the brute that is JET take them down or head them in. Cherry looked quite promising from outside the box, so maybe laying it off for him wouldn't be a bad idea. Can someone help me with what formation the Hoops were playing today, because a few players seemed to be all over the place
Where do we start? on 21:31 - Aug 8 with 5288 viewsGetMeRangers

Where do we start? on 21:26 - Aug 8 by LowExpectations

I see what you mean, but you can't deny the absence of real tactics. I understand that players take time to get used to a new club, but either the newbies (and some from last season) forgot all they had done in the limited training time, or they were actually following part of CRs tactics. I hope for the former as from the game I saw, it seems that CR is promoting a punt it up the pitch tactic. We lack midfield physicality except for Henry, though he looked piss poor today, so maybe we should be playing it more along the ground in the middle of the park, and slowly build up till a striker or wide player makes himself free. Another option would be to play doubles on either side and swing in cross after cross, letting the brute that is JET take them down or head them in. Cherry looked quite promising from outside the box, so maybe laying it off for him wouldn't be a bad idea. Can someone help me with what formation the Hoops were playing today, because a few players seemed to be all over the place

Clearly early days, but it was a bit disappointing to see three or four charlton players on Chery and still no real obvious pass as those around him had not positioned themselves well

CR says it is a revolving midfield with one sticking player. Looked a little bit more like two sticking at the back. 4-2-3-1???
Where do we start? on 21:38 - Aug 8 with 5253 viewsDorse

'Are you SoG,
Are you SoG,
Are you SoG in disguise?
Are you SoG in disguise?'

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Where do we start? on 23:42 - Aug 8 with 4975 viewsNeil_SI

It takes two to tango.

All pre-season we have played out of the back with very little lumping or direct football, but what happens is when you come to competitive games, it changes a little bit depending on what the opposition do.

In this match, Charlton pressed us high up the pitch (the issue in pre-season is we didn't face anybody who did that to us), so we didn't risk playing out of the back anywhere near as much as we have been doing and therefore this results in more direct play. It's cause and effect in a tactical sense.

Having said that, I thought we passed and moved the ball very well for much of the game. We were more comfortable on the ball than we have been for some time, and I saw plenty of passages of play that have been coached. The team are tactically better prepared in that sense. It was a bit of a shame that Alejandro Faurlin wasn't on earlier, or at a time when we were suddenly two down, as he may have combined well with the other midfielders as he has pre-season. But, he's been out a long time, I'm cool with him being lightly re-introduced for his own good.

What I didn't understand from our performance was the lack of pressing from ourselves. We have pressed teams all pre-season high up the pitch, but we didn't do that anywhere near as much here and that may be because we're away from home and wanted to be a bit cautious, and it may be that Charlie Austin isn't as fit as we'd like him to be, but it changed our dynamic in combination with the above. In 10 minutes you could clearly see the difference between Sebastian Polter's sharpness and willingness to press versus Austin's.

Overall though, on what was a hot and muggy day, I was pleased with lots of what I saw. There were good and bad things, as you would expect, but we showed we can compete and have plenty of areas we can progress and improve on. We were the better team for big parts of the game, but naively perhaps allowed Charlton to work their way into the match and then were punished for not taking our chances.

Once we went behind the game changed, and once we conceded a second it was all over. That was a disappointment in the sense that the players looked like they didn't believe they could get back in it, and I was a wee bit disappointed with a lack of seniority and leadership at that point from the likes of Austin and Matt Phillips.

In contrast, Jamie Mackie played as if his life depended on it from minute one till the end. He showed that seniority and leadership I speak of, geeing up his team mates and the crowd at every opportunity and put in a whole hearted and fully committed performance.

Had we scored first mind, it could easily have ended 1-0 or 2-0 to us rather than them. That kind of game. We lost it on the small details, when really we should have taken something.

There were other signs of potential too, we hit them fast and hard on the counter attack on one or two occasions, most notably in the first-half when Phillips played a poor ball that scuppered it all, and while that broke down, it bodes well for the future. We didn't have the pace, legs or guile to do this last season, and tactically it gives us another option and a style to use for the right circumstances because we have a lot more speed.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2015 23:51]
Where do we start? on 23:54 - Aug 8 with 4909 viewsNorthernr

I'm actually amazed you spent that much time replying so sensibly to such complete reactionary bolox Neil.
Where do we start? on 00:26 - Aug 9 with 4814 viewsLowExpectations

I understand what you mean Neil, but in the second half it seemed we were playing without composure or plan, despite some individual brilliance from people like Chery and Luongo. I don't know whether this was down to the team needing time to gel or some players being past it, but we need to understand the opponent, and pumping it up forward against towering defenders provokes people to wonder what is going on in CRs head. Maybe a middle ground must be found between the first half and second half, but I was not overly impressed with the performance to say the least, and it could have easily been 3-0 if Tony Watt was rewarded with the penalty he deserved.
Where do we start? on 00:28 - Aug 9 with 4806 viewsLowExpectations

for the Northernr, id be interested in hearing your thoughts of the game.
Where do we start? on 00:34 - Aug 9 with 4775 viewsNeil_SI

Where do we start? on 00:26 - Aug 9 by LowExpectations

I understand what you mean Neil, but in the second half it seemed we were playing without composure or plan, despite some individual brilliance from people like Chery and Luongo. I don't know whether this was down to the team needing time to gel or some players being past it, but we need to understand the opponent, and pumping it up forward against towering defenders provokes people to wonder what is going on in CRs head. Maybe a middle ground must be found between the first half and second half, but I was not overly impressed with the performance to say the least, and it could have easily been 3-0 if Tony Watt was rewarded with the penalty he deserved.

We started the second half well, and in fact, we should have taken the lead, as we had a decent chance very early doors from Matt Phillips.

They then took the lead not too long after that and it changed the game. We became ragged, and that can happen for new teams with lots of new players, where you look around for people to take responsibility and find out about personalities in those moments.

We're still learning about those, it'll take time. It wasn't a great second half showing after the goal, and they all know and realise that, but it happens. Every team in the world, no matter how good or bad will have poor halves and you also have to give Charlton credit, they took their chances and worked their way into the match. The goal lifted them.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2015 0:35]
Where do we start? on 01:27 - Aug 9 with 4649 viewseastside_r

Where do we start? on 00:34 - Aug 9 by Neil_SI

We started the second half well, and in fact, we should have taken the lead, as we had a decent chance very early doors from Matt Phillips.

They then took the lead not too long after that and it changed the game. We became ragged, and that can happen for new teams with lots of new players, where you look around for people to take responsibility and find out about personalities in those moments.

We're still learning about those, it'll take time. It wasn't a great second half showing after the goal, and they all know and realise that, but it happens. Every team in the world, no matter how good or bad will have poor halves and you also have to give Charlton credit, they took their chances and worked their way into the match. The goal lifted them.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2015 0:35]

Totally correct. If Phillips had stuck that away and he really should have, then it would all have been different.

On such things..........................
Where do we start? on 01:33 - Aug 9 with 4630 viewsBedford_R

Where do we start? on 00:28 - Aug 9 by LowExpectations

for the Northernr, id be interested in hearing your thoughts of the game.

Wait for his comprehensive review on this site.

RMH_R Reborn

Where do we start? on 01:40 - Aug 9 with 4613 viewsBklynRanger

I know I'm being overly simplistic here, but:

If you've got a half fit Austin who plays better beside a hold up player anyway why not put him beside or just behind Polter?

It wouldn't have even required a 4-4-2 set up. It just seems like If we're only going to have Austin for a limited number of games before he leaves we'd have been better off playing to his strengths, in a way that wouldn't cause too much disruption at least.
Where do we start? on 10:19 - Aug 9 with 4115 viewsdaveB

Where do we start? on 19:38 - Aug 8 by JonDoeman

Cheers for that post Brewers Hoop. Its time to get behind Ramsey, even though I have my doubts about him & I'm still pissed off with him for making us worse last season. What he's trying to do will take time.

He didn't make us worse last season, we were poor when he took over and very little changed
Where do we start? on 10:44 - Aug 9 with 4018 viewsstevec

Where do we start? on 23:42 - Aug 8 by Neil_SI

It takes two to tango.

All pre-season we have played out of the back with very little lumping or direct football, but what happens is when you come to competitive games, it changes a little bit depending on what the opposition do.

In this match, Charlton pressed us high up the pitch (the issue in pre-season is we didn't face anybody who did that to us), so we didn't risk playing out of the back anywhere near as much as we have been doing and therefore this results in more direct play. It's cause and effect in a tactical sense.

Having said that, I thought we passed and moved the ball very well for much of the game. We were more comfortable on the ball than we have been for some time, and I saw plenty of passages of play that have been coached. The team are tactically better prepared in that sense. It was a bit of a shame that Alejandro Faurlin wasn't on earlier, or at a time when we were suddenly two down, as he may have combined well with the other midfielders as he has pre-season. But, he's been out a long time, I'm cool with him being lightly re-introduced for his own good.

What I didn't understand from our performance was the lack of pressing from ourselves. We have pressed teams all pre-season high up the pitch, but we didn't do that anywhere near as much here and that may be because we're away from home and wanted to be a bit cautious, and it may be that Charlie Austin isn't as fit as we'd like him to be, but it changed our dynamic in combination with the above. In 10 minutes you could clearly see the difference between Sebastian Polter's sharpness and willingness to press versus Austin's.

Overall though, on what was a hot and muggy day, I was pleased with lots of what I saw. There were good and bad things, as you would expect, but we showed we can compete and have plenty of areas we can progress and improve on. We were the better team for big parts of the game, but naively perhaps allowed Charlton to work their way into the match and then were punished for not taking our chances.

Once we went behind the game changed, and once we conceded a second it was all over. That was a disappointment in the sense that the players looked like they didn't believe they could get back in it, and I was a wee bit disappointed with a lack of seniority and leadership at that point from the likes of Austin and Matt Phillips.

In contrast, Jamie Mackie played as if his life depended on it from minute one till the end. He showed that seniority and leadership I speak of, geeing up his team mates and the crowd at every opportunity and put in a whole hearted and fully committed performance.

Had we scored first mind, it could easily have ended 1-0 or 2-0 to us rather than them. That kind of game. We lost it on the small details, when really we should have taken something.

There were other signs of potential too, we hit them fast and hard on the counter attack on one or two occasions, most notably in the first-half when Phillips played a poor ball that scuppered it all, and while that broke down, it bodes well for the future. We didn't have the pace, legs or guile to do this last season, and tactically it gives us another option and a style to use for the right circumstances because we have a lot more speed.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2015 23:51]

Look, I appreciate the on line message is to give the manager time but, whilst admirable, I need advice on what exactly it is I'm supposed to be hanging on for. I don't mean abstracts like 'time to gel' I mean specifics, things like whole team performance.

What we got yesterday from a Ramsey team, as ever, was par for the course. Come out punching for about 20 minutes and if that don't work, not a clue what to do next and in comes the towel.

I can't blame him for the ineptitude of the two new full backs but I can blame him for not explaining the half way line can be crossed when we're on the attack, that overlapping Mackie (konchelsky) is not a fckin crime.

I can't blame him for Austin and Phillips deciding that self preservation was infinitely preferable than actually playing for QPR but I can blame him for not spotting this around the same time our entire fckin support had spotted this and replaced one or both of them.

The bottom line is, whilst I suspect the players like Ramsey, they don't have the respect that requires them running through walls for him. Mackie is a one off in the modern game, a self motivator. Some of the tackles he ran through had me jumping out the way on the terrace but his endeavour only highlighted the lack of fight that was coming from other areas of the pitch. When players are holding back that extra yard that reflects on the manager. Sorry, the guy is doomed and the quicker he moves on the better.
Where do we start? on 11:04 - Aug 9 with 3952 viewsMedwayR

I thought the subs should've been made earlier and not like for like. Polter for Chery to give Austin some support and try something different would've been a good idea I think. I also thought that despite being our best player Mackie was up against one of the best RB's in the league and it might have been a good idea to switch him with Phillips for at least part of the match to see if he could have even more of an impact on the game.

Surprised how poor Perch & Konchesky were, I know they've not had long to get to know their teammates but that doesn't excuse a poor first touch or poor passes, I hope and expect them to improve a lot.

Unfortunately many of last seasons problems remain & we ran out of steam, clearly too many were not fit enough for 90mins.

Personally I think Ramsey will be gone by Christmas but I think the transfers have been pretty good and we have a decent squad so hopefully it clicks and if it doesn't then at least the next manager will have a good squad to work with.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2015 11:42]

Poll: Who’s better?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024