Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves 19:14 - Nov 11 with 737 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I see he's selling his WC medal. I don't care how hard up he is, it's very poor form from him.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:16 - Nov 11 with 729 viewsFountain

You just gave yourself the obvious reply.

slap me on the patio

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:17 - Nov 11 with 723 viewsWindyMiller

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:16 - Nov 11 by Fountain

You just gave yourself the obvious reply.

I don't know his financial situation but can imagine that would come in handy. I wonder what sentimental value that medal has bearing in mind he didn't play in the final? Maybe it's been something he's never been attached to?

Poll: Should Karl Oyston resign or be sacked?

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:20 - Nov 11 with 717 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:17 - Nov 11 by WindyMiller

I don't know his financial situation but can imagine that would come in handy. I wonder what sentimental value that medal has bearing in mind he didn't play in the final? Maybe it's been something he's never been attached to?

Windy

it's the fact he wouldn't have had one at all if the fans hadn't campaigned to get it that has disappointed me. He's only had it a few years, hasn't he?

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:22 - Nov 11 with 710 viewsTejas

I've got to be honest, I thought the exact same thing at first. I remember the campaign really well (it only seems like yesterday). Then I read a few articles giving his views of the medal and I thought - fair enough. He's getting on a bit and the money will mean a great deal to him, by his own accounts he never fully bought into the entitlement to a medal.
OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:25 - Nov 11 with 704 viewsFountain

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:20 - Nov 11 by basilrobbiereborn

Windy

it's the fact he wouldn't have had one at all if the fans hadn't campaigned to get it that has disappointed me. He's only had it a few years, hasn't he?

I didn't know that re the fans campaign. Again though, I'd prefer to know his motives before condemning him- unlike the Oystons who can be rightly condemned at every opportunity without question

slap me on the patio

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:25 - Nov 11 with 703 views1953Original

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:22 - Nov 11 by Tejas

I've got to be honest, I thought the exact same thing at first. I remember the campaign really well (it only seems like yesterday). Then I read a few articles giving his views of the medal and I thought - fair enough. He's getting on a bit and the money will mean a great deal to him, by his own accounts he never fully bought into the entitlement to a medal.

Agree with you BRR - if we were talking life changing money then fair enough but if I was one of his Grand kids I know I'd sooner have the medal in the family than some hand me down amount of money which buys nout.

Poll: League One Play Off Winners?

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:32 - Nov 11 with 695 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:25 - Nov 11 by Fountain

I didn't know that re the fans campaign. Again though, I'd prefer to know his motives before condemning him- unlike the Oystons who can be rightly condemned at every opportunity without question

Founts

I hear what you say, but I'm still disappointed. A lot of people worked quite hard to get that for him.

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 20:02 - Nov 11 with 663 viewsTangent

None of the 1966 World Cup squad would have a medal, if Tofiq Bahramov had brought his glasses.

“Unlike other clubs, we do things properly.” — Karl Oyston - 2013

Login to get fewer ads

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 20:43 - Nov 11 with 616 viewsFountain

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 19:32 - Nov 11 by basilrobbiereborn

Founts

I hear what you say, but I'm still disappointed. A lot of people worked quite hard to get that for him.

Robbie, but he still has it. Physically not perhaps, but it's still there- he won a WC medal. Isn't that the lasting memory? Especially if he's had it copied as I would do if I sold that.

slap me on the patio

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 20:55 - Nov 11 with 600 viewsribble

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 20:43 - Nov 11 by Fountain

Robbie, but he still has it. Physically not perhaps, but it's still there- he won a WC medal. Isn't that the lasting memory? Especially if he's had it copied as I would do if I sold that.

According to the BBC, out of the 1966 team only Roger Hunt and the Charlton brothers have not sold their WC medals. That really is quite sad.

In other news, Stanley Matthews 1953 FA Cup winners medal was sold for £220,000 today. Nick Hancock paid £20,000 for it in 2001.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2014 20:56]
OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 21:00 - Nov 11 with 582 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 20:43 - Nov 11 by Fountain

Again, take your point, but I'm not convinced. I think he's slapped a lot of people in the face, and for not all that much either.

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 21:06 - Nov 11 with 577 viewsFountain

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 21:00 - Nov 11 by basilrobbiereborn

Again, take your point, but I'm not convinced. I think he's slapped a lot of people in the face, and for not all that much either.

Totally understand why you say what you do, but it's difficult to pass judgement without knowing the facts.

If the facts show that JG is loaded and wants a new car out of it the I'd fully agree with you. But we simply don't know.

Ribble's post is sickening.

slap me on the patio

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 21:26 - Nov 11 with 555 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 21:06 - Nov 11 by Fountain

Totally understand why you say what you do, but it's difficult to pass judgement without knowing the facts.

If the facts show that JG is loaded and wants a new car out of it the I'd fully agree with you. But we simply don't know.

Ribble's post is sickening.

On that (Ribble's post) - yes. I agree. Perhaps we haven't valued them as much as we could.

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 21:56 - Nov 11 with 532 viewsFountain

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 21:26 - Nov 11 by basilrobbiereborn

On that (Ribble's post) - yes. I agree. Perhaps we haven't valued them as much as we could.

Which kind of proves you point but for the circumstances involved.

slap me on the patio

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 21:57 - Nov 11 with 530 viewsjosuah98

More to the point who bought the Matthews medal, report on the BBC states reason for buying was he "played for Blackpool"

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 01:37 - Nov 12 with 468 viewsArchibaldKnox

"Poor form..."? Give over. It's a cheap modern day bauble, even if made from gold. Good on him selling it for far more than it is worth, to make his old age more comfortable. I'll bet JG is not making such a drama out of it.

The shame of this post is Nick Hanc0ck making £200k profit from Sir Stan's medal, I.e 10 times what he paid, in only 13 years. And I remember, at the time, him going on about bringing a piece of Stoke's heritage home (WTF !). I wonder if Sir Stan's family are as forgiving, they must regret selling it for a (relative) pittance.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2014 1:44]
OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 07:52 - Nov 12 with 443 viewsPlumbs

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 01:37 - Nov 12 by ArchibaldKnox

"Poor form..."? Give over. It's a cheap modern day bauble, even if made from gold. Good on him selling it for far more than it is worth, to make his old age more comfortable. I'll bet JG is not making such a drama out of it.

The shame of this post is Nick Hanc0ck making £200k profit from Sir Stan's medal, I.e 10 times what he paid, in only 13 years. And I remember, at the time, him going on about bringing a piece of Stoke's heritage home (WTF !). I wonder if Sir Stan's family are as forgiving, they must regret selling it for a (relative) pittance.
[Post edited 12 Nov 2014 1:44]

The main reason why these guys sell them is because their kids and grand kids need a financial lift, so its a selfless and generous thing to do.
Poor form with the OP and others who criticise from afar, who havent considered the thoughts and feelings of others. If only everyone was given an inflation busting government pension like teachers and civil servants (smiles)

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 10:01 - Nov 12 with 410 viewsstraightatthewall

OT : very disappointed in Jimmy Greaves on 07:52 - Nov 12 by Plumbs

The main reason why these guys sell them is because their kids and grand kids need a financial lift, so its a selfless and generous thing to do.
Poor form with the OP and others who criticise from afar, who havent considered the thoughts and feelings of others. If only everyone was given an inflation busting government pension like teachers and civil servants (smiles)

Brilliant irony about someone profiting on the back of other people's work.....

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024