Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
oh for chris'sakes!! 21:56 - Mar 18 with 6489 viewsAlexF

"Second yellow card to Matthew Lund (Rochdale) for excessive celebration."

After all the cards this season. Is there a plot to try and exclude an 'unfashionable' club?
Sickening.

Brilliant result for the lads all the same.

Respect to Accy for a great result, and thank you Plymouth, glad its not just us that hate the south coast!
(No subject) (n/t) on 00:07 - Mar 19 with 1953 viewsRotherhamDale

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:49 - Mar 18 by dingdangblue

Referees are advised to book players 'for leaving the field of play whilst celebrating'. Now that happens loads - and yellow cards are barely ever issued. Lund celebrated his goal with the crowd at Accrington away and wasn't booked as did Vincenti when he scored his rocket v Newport.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2014 23:57]

But Vincenti was booked at Chesterfield after he equalised in the 9876th minute.
The rules are a bit over the top, but they are the rules.

Possession with progression.

oh for chris'sakes!! on 00:18 - Mar 19 with 1929 viewsDaley_Lama

Sam Winnard goaded and celebrated in front of the TDS when he scored against 9 men at Spotland. no card.

Jack Redshaw and Kev/Bev Ellison had bottom sex while lifting the world cup in front of the Sandy when shrimpy scored, no card.

Matty Lund puts his team 2 up a long way from home and bear hugs a couple of the small travelling hoarde. No incitement, no real time wasting as it was at the end he scored, no harm.

I remember the rule coming in and Luke Rogers getting sent off for scoring a hat-trick. Their 7th that day was probabl as sweet as Bunney getting a 3rd today.

At least Lund couldn't claim Big Bunney's goal tonight.

Poll: DF in or out

oh for chris'sakes!! on 00:25 - Mar 19 with 1901 viewsdingdangblue

oh for chris'sakes!! on 00:18 - Mar 19 by Daley_Lama

Sam Winnard goaded and celebrated in front of the TDS when he scored against 9 men at Spotland. no card.

Jack Redshaw and Kev/Bev Ellison had bottom sex while lifting the world cup in front of the Sandy when shrimpy scored, no card.

Matty Lund puts his team 2 up a long way from home and bear hugs a couple of the small travelling hoarde. No incitement, no real time wasting as it was at the end he scored, no harm.

I remember the rule coming in and Luke Rogers getting sent off for scoring a hat-trick. Their 7th that day was probabl as sweet as Bunney getting a 3rd today.

Rogers took his shirt off which is clear - you do that you get a yellow. This 'leaving the field of play' or 'excessive celebration' is always going to be open to interpretation - that's the problem. On another night another ref wouldn't book Lund.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

oh for chris'sakes!! on 00:31 - Mar 19 with 1879 viewsDaley_Lama

oh for chris'sakes!! on 00:25 - Mar 19 by dingdangblue

Rogers took his shirt off which is clear - you do that you get a yellow. This 'leaving the field of play' or 'excessive celebration' is always going to be open to interpretation - that's the problem. On another night another ref wouldn't book Lund.

Indeed.

On another night Winnard got away with being a plum and on another Saturday Redshaw got a public schooling from Ellison, but the referee interpreted those two incidents as ok as they were winding up the home fans rather than celebrating with the travelling fans.

I don't make the rules and I don't define how they are interpreted but there's something amiss when comparing the three.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2014 0:32]

oh for chris'sakes!! on 00:32 - Mar 19 with 1878 viewsRotherhamDale

oh for chris'sakes!! on 00:18 - Mar 19 by Daley_Lama

But none were leaning over the advertising boards, making physical contact with the supporters. I think that's where the referees draw the line and decide that the player should be booked.
Only extreme cases of opposition supporter goading (TK vs Bury for example, Stanton calling the Notts County fans smelly) tend to end up in a yellow card.

A pity that Lunds out of Saturdays game, but he'll learn from his mistake.

oh for chris'sakes!! on 00:39 - Mar 19 with 1869 viewsDaley_Lama

When the rule was brought in, it wasn't actually aimed at stopping celebration.

It was brought in to stop numerous things

a) time wasting primarily
b) goading of opposition fans
c) later added - slogans on shirts

That was the desire behind the rule, how it was applied was a different matter.

There was a spate of shirt offing, fan goading celebrations. Often late on in games The football world called out for a law change to stop it. The rule was brought in to stop it. Celebrating/going ape pooh for a winning goal was seen as bad as players were cynical with it ,they would take 4 minutes to get back for the kick off.

It wasn't aimed at incidents like tonight, or JK a few years ago. It was actually aimed at incidients such as Redshaw or Winnard where the player is inciting the fans. That was the intention at the time.

Unfortunately that is now lost in a world where refs are graded more than 6th Formers and the game even at this level is so professional that some celebrations are calculated.

oh for chris'sakes!! on 00:41 - Mar 19 with 1865 viewsDaley_Lama

ps

I agree it's a shame Lund misses a game, he has stepped into Hogan's boots brilliantly.

oh for chris'sakes!! on 00:59 - Mar 19 with 1837 viewsboromat

The decision split everyone in the stand. For me it wasn't deserving of a yellow very soft. Might think different after seeing it again.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Login to get fewer ads

oh for chris'sakes!! on 01:00 - Mar 19 with 1837 viewsKenBoon

I'm pretty sure FIFA changed the Law regarding this (Around SA 2010 time). Going beyond the playing area/into fans isn't an automatic booking. If a player goes into the crowd and causes problems for stewards then he should be booked. If he time wastes then he should be booked. If he makes a political or commercial statement then he should be booked. This "leaving the field of play" nonsense is in the same group as "he was the last man" and "he had his foot off the floor". They're not laws, they're often wrong interpretations of the laws. Football will only ever sort itself out when it removes all interpretation and common sense. Do everything by the book. Then after a season of mess they can re-write the laws into something that works and can be followed to the letter, rather than some the referee's make up.

Do you see Cricket Umpires, Rugby Referees or American Football Officials making up the rules in their own imitable fashion? No. Part of the reason Footballers cheat is because they know they can. Because a wrong decision can also be a right one. When everything is black and white then they cannot. Whilst i'm ranting, make offside mean offside. No interpretation of "first and second phase" or interfering with play. It's offside. Decision made.
oh for chris'sakes!! on 01:13 - Mar 19 with 1824 viewsRotherhamDale

One situation that is really annoying me at the moment is when a player gets touched in the box and goes down for a penalty. The commentators always say 'oh there was contact.'

Yes there was, but it wouldn't knock a flea off its stilts, never mind knock a grown man over!

oh for chris'sakes!! on 01:45 - Mar 19 with 1790 viewsDiddyDave

I`m going back to the eighties and nineties now when I refereed,but the Official FA book I had of the Laws of the Game,17 of them,always made it clear that the Fouls and Handball laws started off with,"If,in the OPINION of the referee,a player has DELIBERATELY fouled an opponent,or has DELIBERATELY touched the ball with his hand or arm,etc". In other words,they left it up to the ref to interpret those particular things as he sees it at the time. Things have changed quite dramatically since then,no more interpretation,it`s all thou must,not thou might. Somebody said the players flaunt the rules because they know they can,quite right,so it`s them who must cop the blame. The poor old ref cops it every time and I know a lot of you have complained bitterly about some them this season,but they all can`t have been that bad,or Dale wouldn`t be top of the league,would they? How many of Dales` sendings off this season have been completely lunatic actions by the players in all honesty?
oh for chris'sakes!! on 02:16 - Mar 19 with 1768 viewsdownunder

oh for chris'sakes!! on 01:45 - Mar 19 by DiddyDave

I`m going back to the eighties and nineties now when I refereed,but the Official FA book I had of the Laws of the Game,17 of them,always made it clear that the Fouls and Handball laws started off with,"If,in the OPINION of the referee,a player has DELIBERATELY fouled an opponent,or has DELIBERATELY touched the ball with his hand or arm,etc". In other words,they left it up to the ref to interpret those particular things as he sees it at the time. Things have changed quite dramatically since then,no more interpretation,it`s all thou must,not thou might. Somebody said the players flaunt the rules because they know they can,quite right,so it`s them who must cop the blame. The poor old ref cops it every time and I know a lot of you have complained bitterly about some them this season,but they all can`t have been that bad,or Dale wouldn`t be top of the league,would they? How many of Dales` sendings off this season have been completely lunatic actions by the players in all honesty?

The players attitudes have changed re cheating/diving/bending the rules. Watching the You Tube 6-2 win v Northampton showed how it has been corrupted.
Sliding tackles left right and centre in that game, on an icy pitch, but players were jumping over them and getting on with it. None of this "there was contact" bull. Off course there is contact, it is a contact sport.(Rugby is not. That is a collision sport)
Would also like a return to the Reg Jenkins goal celebration ( handshakes) or, for the enthusiastic players, the Steve Melledew (I arm in the air, walk back to centre circle)

Yours faithfully
Old fart.
oh for chris'sakes!! on 03:36 - Mar 19 with 1742 viewsDiddyDave

Well said Down Under,the "Good Old Days"! On another topic,I was in NZ the other week and saw the terrible floods in Christchurch,so hope you and your family are all right. After the earthquakes,floods and all,there`s probably only a plague of locusts and a Martian invasion that could possibly happen down there next. Ah well,let`s hope the fact that Dale are top is a slight compensation to all your disasters. Take care.
oh for chris'sakes!! on 07:58 - Mar 19 with 1653 viewsdownunder

oh for chris'sakes!! on 03:36 - Mar 19 by DiddyDave

Well said Down Under,the "Good Old Days"! On another topic,I was in NZ the other week and saw the terrible floods in Christchurch,so hope you and your family are all right. After the earthquakes,floods and all,there`s probably only a plague of locusts and a Martian invasion that could possibly happen down there next. Ah well,let`s hope the fact that Dale are top is a slight compensation to all your disasters. Take care.

You should have called. I had a Dale fan guest the other week. We're sweet in our town, just the eastern suburbs that are munted.
PS you forgot the tornado that took a few roofs off, and destroyed a garden centre. Locusts...bring it on!
oh for chris'sakes!! on 20:15 - Mar 19 with 1500 viewsYouTubeDale

Good picture on twitter:

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

oh for chris'sakes!! on 20:31 - Mar 19 with 1455 viewszxcvbnm

oh for chris'sakes!! on 20:15 - Mar 19 by YouTubeDale

Good picture on twitter:

Thank you, that's the one I was trying to do!

Poll: Best loanee keeper

oh for chris'sakes!! on 20:36 - Mar 19 with 1446 viewsDySporting

I glanced at the ref during the celebrations and he was waiting with his yellow card as soon as Lund was with the fans.
oh for chris'sakes!! on 20:37 - Mar 19 with 1442 viewsdingdangblue

oh for chris'sakes!! on 20:15 - Mar 19 by YouTubeDale

Good picture on twitter:

That steward looks poised ready to handle all the crowd trouble caused by Lunds reckless actions.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

oh for chris'sakes!! on 21:31 - Mar 20 with 1318 viewsAlexF

Keith:
"It is barmy but apparently the referee has got nowhere to turn," added Hill.
"He doesn't enter the crowd - the crowd pull him to them. He wanted to celebrate with his mum and dad, who were sat in that stand behind the goal.
"It just seems a bit of a shame. It's a bit pedantic. I just wish referees would stand up for common sense because he doesn't deserve to be sent off."

I guess that final sentence is the sentiment that made me start the thread...
[Post edited 20 Mar 2014 21:31]
oh for chris'sakes!! on 21:34 - Mar 20 with 1311 viewsTVOS1907

oh for chris'sakes!! on 21:31 - Mar 20 by AlexF

Keith:
"It is barmy but apparently the referee has got nowhere to turn," added Hill.
"He doesn't enter the crowd - the crowd pull him to them. He wanted to celebrate with his mum and dad, who were sat in that stand behind the goal.
"It just seems a bit of a shame. It's a bit pedantic. I just wish referees would stand up for common sense because he doesn't deserve to be sent off."

I guess that final sentence is the sentiment that made me start the thread...
[Post edited 20 Mar 2014 21:31]

He's got funny looking parents!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

oh for chris'sakes!! on 21:37 - Mar 20 with 1308 viewsAlexF

oh for chris'sakes!! on 21:34 - Mar 20 by TVOS1907

He's got funny looking parents!

ha! brilliant, and three of them!! :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024