Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grimes Beef 23:55 - Aug 26 with 3163 viewsGVJack

What is it about Matt Grimes that gets so many negative comments. I hold my hand up, I'm one of the supporters who is seemingly frustrated by him, but struggling to really pinpoint why.

This is a player who should be edging on club legends status and have a statue outside the stadium. He's been with us nearly 10 years (in January) and is going into this fith year as captain.

He's fit as a fiddle and clearly takes care of his body through being a professional athlete.

Every time I hear him speak he seems like a very mature and well respected guy representing the club professionally and with maturity.

Yet Despite all this I still have this yearning to see him moved out of the team. I don't know if that's because :-

A) he's a victim of his own versatility and is told play numerous roles by numerous managers

B) he's a victim of the 'Swansea Style' and isn't suitable to play the way we have wanted to play over the last 3-4 years in particular.

C) He's just not that good? (We did sign him from League 2 after all)

It's just an enigma I can't quite get my head around. I want to love him... But can't (but I do massively respect him).
[Post edited 27 Aug 0:29]
Grimes Beef on 13:46 - Aug 28 with 498 viewsSkewenMitch

I feel that MG plays much to deep under our current manager. He spends a lot of the game between and behind the two centre backs. He must have been told to play there.
It compares to the old Italian style of defensive football when they called that position Catenaccio.

Catenaccio or The Chain is a tactical system in football with a strong emphasis on defence. In Italian, catenaccio means "door-bolt", which implies a highly organised and effective backline defence focused on nullifying opponents' attacks and preventing goal-scoring opportunities. Wikipedia
Unfortunately he is not suited to playing that role. He does not have the pace or aggression.
I wish we had a captain in the Ash Williams/ Garry Monk mode.
Grimes Beef on 14:03 - Aug 28 with 477 viewsGVJack

Grimes Beef on 13:46 - Aug 28 by SkewenMitch

I feel that MG plays much to deep under our current manager. He spends a lot of the game between and behind the two centre backs. He must have been told to play there.
It compares to the old Italian style of defensive football when they called that position Catenaccio.

Catenaccio or The Chain is a tactical system in football with a strong emphasis on defence. In Italian, catenaccio means "door-bolt", which implies a highly organised and effective backline defence focused on nullifying opponents' attacks and preventing goal-scoring opportunities. Wikipedia
Unfortunately he is not suited to playing that role. He does not have the pace or aggression.

"I wish we had a captain in the Ash Williams/ Garry Monk mode"

Could Darling be that man? Or possibly Franco?
Grimes Beef on 14:13 - Aug 28 with 469 viewsmax936

Grimes Beef on 14:03 - Aug 28 by GVJack

"I wish we had a captain in the Ash Williams/ Garry Monk mode"

Could Darling be that man? Or possibly Franco?

I always thought Darling could be that man, but after his antics and brain farts on Sunday I'm not so sure.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Grimes Beef on 14:16 - Aug 28 with 460 viewsDr_Winston

Grimes Beef on 13:46 - Aug 28 by SkewenMitch

He's played like that under Cooper, Martin, Sheehan and Williams. Only for both Potter and Duff has he consistently not done so.

Whether that's down to managerial instruction or managers having no problems with his natural instincts to sit deep (personally I suspect the latter, other opinions are available) it's hugely frustrating when we can see how good he can be when forced out of his comfort zone.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Grimes Beef on 14:23 - Aug 28 with 451 viewsonehunglow

Grimes Beef on 14:13 - Aug 28 by max936

I always thought Darling could be that man, but after his antics and brain farts on Sunday I'm not so sure.

Darling has captain material then he acts like a clown
Franco could be the main man but what a name

BTW, beef is no good for you
Better white meat

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Grimes Beef on 14:31 - Aug 28 with 438 viewsRichardO

Grimes Beef on 14:13 - Aug 28 by max936

They have always been there.
For me Franco is the man for captaincy on what little we have seen so far.
[Post edited 28 Aug 14:33]
Grimes Beef on 15:03 - Aug 28 with 443 viewsSkewenMitch

My biggest no no in this conversation is playing Grimes and Fulton in the same team. They slow the game down. Another old fashioned term is we need a dog in midfield someone to win the ball and give it to someone else to play it forward.
Bill Shankly famously said football is like a piano. You need half a dozen to carry it and one to play it.
Grimes Beef on 16:18 - Aug 28 with 387 viewsonehunglow

Grimes Beef on 14:31 - Aug 28 by RichardO

Absolutely but language barrier might be an issue but he sure looks and acts like more of a leader

Login to get fewer ads

Grimes Beef on 16:31 - Aug 28 with 370 viewsjack247

Grimes Beef on 15:03 - Aug 28 by SkewenMitch

My biggest no no in this conversation is playing Grimes and Fulton in the same team. They slow the game down. Another old fashioned term is we need a dog in midfield someone to win the ball and give it to someone else to play it forward.
Bill Shankly famously said football is like a piano. You need half a dozen to carry it and one to play it.

Pratley-Britton-Bodde was probably my favourite midfield combination. Appreciate it was league one.

Three totally different types of player who all complimented each other.
Grimes Beef on 16:32 - Aug 28 with 360 viewsRichardO

Grimes Beef on 16:18 - Aug 28 by onehunglow

Absolutely but language barrier might be an issue but he sure looks and acts like more of a leader

Most probably speaks better English than most of the players, unless they are all force to speak Welsh then I can't
see it being a problem.
Grimes Beef on 16:33 - Aug 28 with 362 viewsonehunglow

Grimes Beef on 16:31 - Aug 28 by jack247

Pratley-Britton-Bodde was probably my favourite midfield combination. Appreciate it was league one.

But your time period was post relegation .
You’ve moved the goal pists

Fish for tea

Grimes Beef on 16:44 - Aug 28 with 354 viewsjack247

Grimes Beef on 16:33 - Aug 28 by onehunglow

But your time period was post relegation .
You’ve moved the goal pists

Fish for tea

It was a direct response to Mitchs post about needing different types of midfielders.

Have you interpreted that as my answer to the question you continue to dodge about who should replace Grimes?

For any avoidance of doubt, I don’t think anyone should as we haven’t had three better midfielders at the same time in six seasons.

Are you like this in real life?
Grimes Beef on 16:51 - Aug 28 with 346 viewsonehunglow

Grimes Beef on 16:44 - Aug 28 by jack247

It was a direct response to Mitchs post about needing different types of midfielders.

Have you interpreted that as my answer to the question you continue to dodge about who should replace Grimes?

For any avoidance of doubt, I don’t think anyone should as we haven’t had three better midfielders at the same time in six seasons.

Are you like this in real life?

I am nothing like it .
You never can tell can you.
I mean ,I’ve been chummy with some posters years back ,been into their home then they turned out to be nothing like what they appeared to be

You posted a rhetorical question which had nowt to do with the topic in hand . It was a dig. And that’s fine but if you dig at me,you know what happens .You repeated the question .

Opinions do not have to be provenanced on here not even evidenced . Opinions rarely are in general conversation .

Now ,have a noson llawen

Grimes Beef on 16:57 - Aug 28 with 338 viewsjack247

Grimes Beef on 16:51 - Aug 28 by onehunglow

I am nothing like it .
You never can tell can you.
I mean ,I’ve been chummy with some posters years back ,been into their home then they turned out to be nothing like what they appeared to be

You posted a rhetorical question which had nowt to do with the topic in hand . It was a dig. And that’s fine but if you dig at me,you know what happens .You repeated the question .

Opinions do not have to be provenanced on here not even evidenced . Opinions rarely are in general conversation .

Now ,have a noson llawen

I’ve no idea what you’re like in real life. Your online persona is weird.

It wasn’t a rhetorical question, it was a direct question to you and it was completely relevant.

It was in response to your gibberish about 5 championship managers in a row all not seeing the flaws in Grimes that you do from your lounge and their peers being in some sort of cabal who all said he was a good player as some sort of practical joke.

I asked you directly who you would have played ahead of him in that period and predicted you would avoid giving a straight answer.
Grimes Beef on 17:26 - Aug 28 with 310 viewsmax936

Grimes Beef on 15:03 - Aug 28 by SkewenMitch

Good post that, 100% agree.

Grimes Beef on 17:28 - Aug 28 with 308 viewsmax936

Grimes Beef on 16:31 - Aug 28 by jack247

Decent combo that was, think Joey was maybe still young then or did he come in for Bodde?

Grimes Beef on 17:32 - Aug 28 with 303 viewsmax936

Grimes Beef on 14:31 - Aug 28 by RichardO

To early to make an opinion on Franco IMHO.

Grimes Beef on 17:43 - Aug 28 with 291 viewsjack247

Grimes Beef on 17:28 - Aug 28 by max936

Decent combo that was, think Joey was maybe still young then or did he come in for Bodde?

That period kind of blurs a bit.

I think he was there but in and out of the team, may be wrong. Hard to break through when those three are your competition.
Grimes Beef on 18:41 - Aug 28 with 253 viewssons_of_omri

Grimes Beef on 09:44 - Aug 27 by jack247

As someone who rates Grimes, I can’t argue with this.

So if he is capable of showing much more but doesn’t - a lack of guts or just plain can’t be arsed? Either way that’s not captain material and if he can’t be arsed then he’s not worthy of a place in the side. We were crying out for leadership on Sunday and he simply couldn’t or wouldn’t provide it
Grimes Beef on 18:41 - Aug 28 with 251 viewsRichardO

Grimes Beef on 17:32 - Aug 28 by max936

To early to make an opinion on Franco IMHO.

I know but was making the comment on what I'm seeing in the player now, who knows what type of player he will be when he gets into shape with William's moulding and alongside the players he will have to play with.
Want to see a captain in a team that doesn't keep on being taken to the cleaners by the so called better teams, but one that can stand toe to toe in the belief that every game is winnable.
Grimes Beef on 18:44 - Aug 28 with 239 viewssons_of_omri

Grimes Beef on 09:27 - Aug 27 by lifelong

Why have our previous 4 or 5 managers failed to see all the faults that Matt Grimes has and dropped him from the starting eleven?

Managers love brown noses. Ok let me put this another way. Flynn Downes was here for a season and got a PL move for big money. Grimes has ZERO interest from other clubs - even when out of contract! Managers love him because he’s no trouble to them. He’s a dispassionate footballer who likes living here and will not move out of his comfort zone
Grimes Beef on 18:48 - Aug 28 with 234 viewsonehunglow

Grimes Beef on 18:44 - Aug 28 by sons_of_omri

Managers love brown noses. Ok let me put this another way. Flynn Downes was here for a season and got a PL move for big money. Grimes has ZERO interest from other clubs - even when out of contract! Managers love him because he’s no trouble to them. He’s a dispassionate footballer who likes living here and will not move out of his comfort zone

Bang on.
Grimesy wouldn’t say boo to a goose even when the tactics are clearly wrong .
Good captains knock on managers door to ask questions ,not roll over like puppies .
Downes is a dog and I believe related to the Paddington great boxer that was Terry Downes .
Flynn ,I’m sure ,is gobby,bit arrogant ,forceful and difficult at times . Just the sort of captain we need to kick arses on the field .
I saw the Headline and though agrimes had opened a butchers shop in the Market
I wish he would
[Post edited 28 Aug 18:50]

Grimes Beef on 18:51 - Aug 28 with 231 viewssons_of_omri

Grimes Beef on 10:00 - Aug 27 by Dr_Winston

The reason I am so often and so loudly critical of Grimes is because he is capable of more. If he was playing at the very limit of his ability I could accept that a lot more easily.

He should be the midfielder that a lot of people spend a lot of time insisting that he is. He's got it in the locker. Yet for the overwhelming majority of his Swans career he's been bang average at best, and at times, like he was on Sunday, an active hindrance to his own side.

When your key playmaker is consistently not playing very obvious attacking passes when the opportunity arises, there is little point in him being on the pitch no matter if 95% of his other passes are completed. Kevin de Bruyne's recent comments on the subject are spot on and something MG should be sat down and forced to read, Clockwork Orange style if necessary.

Your first paragraph sums up why I so vehemently dislike him. If a footballer has the honour of wearing the white shirt he should be playing at the limit of his abilities (ie trying his best) at the very minimum - anything less is a slap in the face of the supporters who would bleed for the club.

Also , as a captain doing Jack s**t - why would the rest of the team be arsed to play out of their skins? In shop floor speak “if he ain’t doing it why should I?”. Would explain some lacklustre team performance post cooper
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024