Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI 14:01 - Aug 9 with 21339 viewsModeratorC

The Swans visit a happy hunting ground of late on Saturday. It’s the Baggies away and a fine away turn out is expected.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60615/west-bromwich-albi
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60617/late-late-show-fro

West Bromwich Albion: Alex Palmer, Darnell Furlong, Conor Townsend, Cedric Kipre, Semi Ajayi, Jed Wallace (captain), Jayson Molumby, Matt Phillips, Erik Pieters, John Swift, Okay Yokuslu.

Substitutes: Josh Griffiths, Kyle Bartley, Josh Maja, Nathaniel Chalobah, Jeremy Sarmiento, Alex Mowatt, Taylor Gardner-Hickman, Tom Fellows, Ethan Ingram.

Swansea City: Carl Rushworth; Harry Darling, Ben Cabango, Nathan Wood; Harrison Ashby, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Ollie Cooper, Josh Key; Joel Piroe, Jerry Yates.

Substitutes: Andy Fisher, Joe Allen, Josh Ginnelly, Jamie Paterson, Charlie Patino, Mykola Kuharevich, Liam Cullen, Kyle Naughton, Azeem Abdulai.

This post has been edited by an administrator
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 13:36 - Aug 14 with 973 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 12:56 - Aug 14 by SullutaCreturned

Stoke, we lost at home 1-3, we were utterly rubbish from beginning to end. How we got a goal I don't know.

Joe Allen ran the sho that day and we didn't get close to him. We were 2 games away from half a season of rubbish, 3 wins in 21 and mst of that was slow, painfully so. It was all passing without a purpose, keep the ball at all costs.

It's not patronising to say just because you don't remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Like I said, there are threads and plenty of posts moaning about the football under Martin.

Fair enough. West Brom didn’t have anyone approaching the quality Joe Allen was two years ago Saturday, but then they didn’t need it for an hour.

Personally I would expect ‘you must have a short memory then’ from the likes of Resolven. Not insulting, but a little but childish.

I was criticising Duff not defending Martin. I agree there was lots of terrible football under him. I’d wanted him sacked at least twice and was on the fence more than that.

If he’d served up that first hour he’d have been savaged.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 14:32 - Aug 14 with 921 viewsSullutaCreturned

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 13:36 - Aug 14 by jack247

Fair enough. West Brom didn’t have anyone approaching the quality Joe Allen was two years ago Saturday, but then they didn’t need it for an hour.

Personally I would expect ‘you must have a short memory then’ from the likes of Resolven. Not insulting, but a little but childish.

I was criticising Duff not defending Martin. I agree there was lots of terrible football under him. I’d wanted him sacked at least twice and was on the fence more than that.

If he’d served up that first hour he’d have been savaged.

You're not criticising Duff but then say "If he’d served up that first hour he’d have been savaged" when the fact is he did serve that up for the first hour, the first few games were poor but we allowed it because we understood we were in the middle of a big change.

You clearly don't remember all the rubbish we put up with under Martin f you think the first 70 minutes was worse in which case, you must have a short memory, or a selective one. it's hardly childish to say that. Fact is we had plenty of worse football going back to before Kenny Jackett but what we saw under Martin was some of the slowest, most boring nonsense I have witnessed. We caused our own problems no end of times which is where Saturday was similar.

BTW, I forget things all the time, I do have a short memory for some things. I'll forget something really important but remember something completely useless because for most of us, our memories are not perfect. You are clearly insulted by me saying it but can you say your memory is perfect? Do you never forget things?

PS, Huddersfield away, a real bore draw where both teams were awful and,

One win in Eleven games by Dr_Winston 8 Jan 2023 14:33
With tricky trips to Sunderland and QPR coming up it's entirely possible that soon it'll be one win in thirteen.

When will it be enough? Is it wise for the club to allow RM to bring players in when this is what he's doing with the ones he already has?

[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 14:45]
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 14:59 - Aug 14 with 899 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 14:32 - Aug 14 by SullutaCreturned

You're not criticising Duff but then say "If he’d served up that first hour he’d have been savaged" when the fact is he did serve that up for the first hour, the first few games were poor but we allowed it because we understood we were in the middle of a big change.

You clearly don't remember all the rubbish we put up with under Martin f you think the first 70 minutes was worse in which case, you must have a short memory, or a selective one. it's hardly childish to say that. Fact is we had plenty of worse football going back to before Kenny Jackett but what we saw under Martin was some of the slowest, most boring nonsense I have witnessed. We caused our own problems no end of times which is where Saturday was similar.

BTW, I forget things all the time, I do have a short memory for some things. I'll forget something really important but remember something completely useless because for most of us, our memories are not perfect. You are clearly insulted by me saying it but can you say your memory is perfect? Do you never forget things?

PS, Huddersfield away, a real bore draw where both teams were awful and,

One win in Eleven games by Dr_Winston 8 Jan 2023 14:33
With tricky trips to Sunderland and QPR coming up it's entirely possible that soon it'll be one win in thirteen.

When will it be enough? Is it wise for the club to allow RM to bring players in when this is what he's doing with the ones he already has?

[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 14:45]

I was talking about Martin with my last line, not Duff.

First hour, not 70 minutes. It changed almost immediately when Pantino and Cullen came on.

Yes, we played some terrible football under Kenny Jacket too.

Of course i remember we played some shocking football under Martin. It would be a mental comparison to make if we were playing good stuff every week.

And let’s be honest, ‘you have a very short memory’ when we’re talking about very recent ganes, actually means ‘you haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about’ I’m not insulted by it, it’s hardly offensive, I just said there was no need to patronise, just get your point across without the condescension.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 15:07 - Aug 14 with 887 viewsswan_si

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 05:26 - Aug 14 by jack247

Worse than Martin for the first hour. I can’t recall us playing that badly.

Martin had people saying give him time after 18 months, he also had people writing him off from the very start.

I’m sure Duff will get it right, he’s just started underwhelmingly.

agreed, for the 1st hour I sat with my mouth open and my chin on my chest, I couldn't believe with all the aimless long balls hoofed up field, or indeed off the the field, I was watching the Swans.
Many a game under Russ I sat shaking my head shouting WTF, but Saturday I sat in disbelief.
I also agree that Duff will come good, we are 2 league games and I'm not convinced we've seen our starting 11 yet.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 15:17 - Aug 14 with 875 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 15:07 - Aug 14 by swan_si

agreed, for the 1st hour I sat with my mouth open and my chin on my chest, I couldn't believe with all the aimless long balls hoofed up field, or indeed off the the field, I was watching the Swans.
Many a game under Russ I sat shaking my head shouting WTF, but Saturday I sat in disbelief.
I also agree that Duff will come good, we are 2 league games and I'm not convinced we've seen our starting 11 yet.

Completely agree with all this. I honestly can’t remember us being so disjointed. There were certainly more boring and predictable games under Martin where we kept tame possession and barely crossed half way, but that first hour was something else.

I also think he’ll come good. Early indications are the recruitment has been much better. Pantino and Ginelly look exciting, albeit we’ve hardly seen any of them. Key looks a huge upgrade on Lati. Once he gets them playing as a cohesive unit, we’ll be a problem for teams.

I’m not convinced on 5 at the back or 2 up front yet, but think he’ll sort us out.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 15:31 - Aug 14 with 856 viewsonehunglow

The most Devisive manager we have ever had.
It’ll take time to clear the air

Duff’hair is bland too

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 15:36 - Aug 14 with 849 viewsWhiterockin

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 15:31 - Aug 14 by onehunglow

The most Devisive manager we have ever had.
It’ll take time to clear the air

Duff’hair is bland too

We have had quite a few in over the years. I'll throw in Flynn, Jacket, Souza for a start and Duff isn't doing to bad as devisive.
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 16:11 - Aug 14 with 820 viewsSullutaCreturned

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 14:59 - Aug 14 by jack247

I was talking about Martin with my last line, not Duff.

First hour, not 70 minutes. It changed almost immediately when Pantino and Cullen came on.

Yes, we played some terrible football under Kenny Jacket too.

Of course i remember we played some shocking football under Martin. It would be a mental comparison to make if we were playing good stuff every week.

And let’s be honest, ‘you have a very short memory’ when we’re talking about very recent ganes, actually means ‘you haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about’ I’m not insulted by it, it’s hardly offensive, I just said there was no need to patronise, just get your point across without the condescension.

I know you were talking about Martin, my point was that he did serve up rubbish but was not savaged.

It changed after the penalty, Patino was on by then.

I reckon you must be insulted because saying you have a short memory implies you don't remember something fairly recent and again there's no patronising or condecension involved. I cannot help the way you interpret my posts.
Login to get fewer ads

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 16:25 - Aug 14 with 796 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 16:11 - Aug 14 by SullutaCreturned

I know you were talking about Martin, my point was that he did serve up rubbish but was not savaged.

It changed after the penalty, Patino was on by then.

I reckon you must be insulted because saying you have a short memory implies you don't remember something fairly recent and again there's no patronising or condecension involved. I cannot help the way you interpret my posts.

If you don’t think Martin got savaged, have a look back. Right from that start. Understandably too as we terrible in his first game. Yes, people stuck up for him, like people are doing for Duff now.

It’s not the kind of comment to get insulted by. You’re just a better poster than that normally.

We improved nearly straight away. Ok Darling gave away a stupid penalty but we were playing better at that point than before the changes.

I remember Stoke at home and yes we were terrible. If we watched that back I could tell you what Martin was trying to do, albeit he failed miserably. Can you explain what Duff was trying to do before the substitutions?

And I was criticising Duff.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 16:54]
West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:27 - Aug 14 with 755 viewsonehunglow

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 16:25 - Aug 14 by jack247

If you don’t think Martin got savaged, have a look back. Right from that start. Understandably too as we terrible in his first game. Yes, people stuck up for him, like people are doing for Duff now.

It’s not the kind of comment to get insulted by. You’re just a better poster than that normally.

We improved nearly straight away. Ok Darling gave away a stupid penalty but we were playing better at that point than before the changes.

I remember Stoke at home and yes we were terrible. If we watched that back I could tell you what Martin was trying to do, albeit he failed miserably. Can you explain what Duff was trying to do before the substitutions?

And I was criticising Duff.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 16:54]

Most did no such thing .
That is quite wrong
I certainly did as I saw something prescient about him that bothered me.
I’ve spent a lifetime watching and listening to people.
I admit that and also am proud to be the fi4st to call it as it was.
It took a good 12 months for most to suspect things weren’t as they seemed.

I feel like the club has had an enema .

Duff has,thus far, been free from disingenuous garbage and in fact seems rather prosaic ,dull even. He has little charisma in comparison but we really should be comparing at all but it’s human nature.
Martin had significant support and it would appear some want Duff to fail to make themselves feel good.
Martin had this ,in fairness, with the cooperboys . Thing was though Steve was too ugly .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 19:33 - Aug 14 with 709 viewsjack247

West Bromwich Albion v Swansea City : Matchday Thread UPDATED FRI on 17:27 - Aug 14 by onehunglow

Most did no such thing .
That is quite wrong
I certainly did as I saw something prescient about him that bothered me.
I’ve spent a lifetime watching and listening to people.
I admit that and also am proud to be the fi4st to call it as it was.
It took a good 12 months for most to suspect things weren’t as they seemed.

I feel like the club has had an enema .

Duff has,thus far, been free from disingenuous garbage and in fact seems rather prosaic ,dull even. He has little charisma in comparison but we really should be comparing at all but it’s human nature.
Martin had significant support and it would appear some want Duff to fail to make themselves feel good.
Martin had this ,in fairness, with the cooperboys . Thing was though Steve was too ugly .

Thing is, if you make a judgement after one game, sometimes you will be stopped clock right. I’m sure Russell Martin would disagree with you anyway. He’s at a bigger club, with better players, presumably on more money.

He had the majority saying to give him time, myself included, in no small part because we’d watched Steve Cooper football for two years. He still got it both barrels from a noisy minority after the first game.

Yes Duff is quite dour and a little smug in his press conferences. He reminds me of Allardyce a bit. I couldn’t care less about that. The bit I didn’t like was throwing blame out like confetti but not accepting any responsibility for a tactically inept performance. I know he’s not the first, Russell Martin did it, as did Steve Cooper. It’s not a good look.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024