Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit City : Swansea 08:38 - Mar 29 with 11944 viewswestside

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39236378
Brexit City : Swansea on 12:25 - Mar 29 with 1528 viewsHighjack

Brexit City : Swansea on 12:12 - Mar 29 by Lohengrin

" The only thing sadder than leaving your country is watching your country leave you."

That's what came to mind watching that. It's probably a quote I've hazily recalled although my memory isn't sharp enough to attribute it. Yearning for past certainties doesn't make people 'stupid' or 'lesser' it often means they bear the weight of loss more keenly. I can remember the closure of the integrated works at Ebbw Vale very well. Over two centuries of continuous production sacrificed on the altar of global finance.

Never mind that a quarter of the male population are out of work in Ebbw Vale. Who cares that a mortgage is beyond the reach of so many young couples there now? Just look at all the sweated imports you can get at Poundstretcher or Home Bargains, that's the brave new world we are urged to embrace.

My whole family on my fathers side is from Ebbw and I spent many happy times there as a kid so it does pain me to see the lack of hope up there. My dad learned his trade as an apprentice at the steelworks up there before he moved down here after he started banging my mum after meeting her during a night out in the Top Rank on the Kingsway.

Anyway that point the gentleman in the video made is very pertinent. Years ago we used to take the time and effort to give our people proper training, we don't do it anymore.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Brexit City : Swansea on 13:01 - Mar 29 with 1494 viewsLeonWasGod

Brexit City : Swansea on 11:36 - Mar 29 by westside

watch it on iplayer 28/03/2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006mk25?suggid=b006mk25

Interesting watching that.

The reasons given for voting leave were nonsensical (based on misconceptions) and I find a sadness in people's desperation for wanting things to be as they were. The steelworks isn't coming back to EV anytime soon. But I don't understand the resentment towards money being spent on a local college to help give skills and qualifications to their community's children - that seems very strange. Even the "cosmetic" projects - the EU didn't propose those. They would have been proposed by the local council and major local businesses, in conjunction with the WG. And I'd argue that major infrastructure projects definitely aren't cosmetic - good infrastructure underpins development.

Before Clegg go to the rounding up, I was thinking that the expectations of the slogans are setting up people for a fall. 'Make Britain Great Again', 'Take Back Control' - meaningless sound bites that are largely unmeasurable. Immigration the elephant in the room - maybe not anti-immigrants per se, but again the fear was palpable in the older folk. They don't have a problem with immigration - they have a problem with lack of jobs and lack of qualifications to find new ones. And a mind set based on a large company providing simple, traditional employment, which is very far out of touch with the modern working world.

As Clegg said, it's hard to imagine what could happen differently out of the EU so that they feel as though they've got what they want.
Brexit City : Swansea on 13:11 - Mar 29 with 1478 viewsKerouac

Re: the BBC reporting of Brexit

Did anyone hear the historian Richard Starkey on Radio 4's 'Today' this morning?
Conducting the interview was Nick "Oh to be jammed up Tony Blair's arse" Robinson...a man I have long found to be an idiot. I do not understand how his career has gone so well at the BBC, an appalling journalist, utterly biased (you are never left in doubt as to what he thinks about a subject)...
...anyway, Starkey criticised the quality of the content on the show and was hectored by Robinson, Starkey responded;

“Shut up Nick and listen to somebody who actually knows something!”

For years I have been shouting similar things at my radio!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Brexit City : Swansea on 13:18 - Mar 29 with 1471 viewstrampie

Brexit City : Swansea on 11:36 - Mar 29 by westside

watch it on iplayer 28/03/2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006mk25?suggid=b006mk25

Marine Le Pen on good form I see.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 13:19]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Brexit City : Swansea on 13:32 - Mar 29 with 1446 viewsskippyjack

Oh the MONEY the MONEY the MONEY.. say it ain't so.. I have lost a 5er..

F*cking need to lock all you remedials up..

I wouldn't let none of you tell me how to bake a cake..

Take the public opinion on that cocaine snorting simpleton Rio Ferdinand for instance.. nothing enters the skull in all honesty..

I have never seen such a feminine waste of human species..

Oh poor Rio.. say it ain't so.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:03 - Mar 29 with 1418 viewsmegnuts

Brexit City : Swansea on 13:32 - Mar 29 by skippyjack

Oh the MONEY the MONEY the MONEY.. say it ain't so.. I have lost a 5er..

F*cking need to lock all you remedials up..

I wouldn't let none of you tell me how to bake a cake..

Take the public opinion on that cocaine snorting simpleton Rio Ferdinand for instance.. nothing enters the skull in all honesty..

I have never seen such a feminine waste of human species..

Oh poor Rio.. say it ain't so.

You found a job yet? Or still w*nking over Homes Under The Hammer every morning?
Brexit City : Swansea on 14:04 - Mar 29 with 1408 viewsskippyjack

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:03 - Mar 29 by megnuts

You found a job yet? Or still w*nking over Homes Under The Hammer every morning?

Another weak sperm.. I can smell you from here Nancy boy.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:14 - Mar 29 with 1403 viewsrock1n

''I'm hoping there will be better quality of living for those people who are born and bred in Wales'

Sums it up, that's all it ever was about, just a belief that if we make it worse for outsiders we'll make it better for ourselves. Nativism.

Sad day, watching Tusk deliver his final sentence was extremely depressing.

Well you've got your wish brexiteers now own it, you've made the bed now lie in it.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:16 - Mar 29 with 1398 viewsrock1n

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:13 - Mar 29 by Private_Partz

Indeed it could turn out to be OK but it is very very doubtful. We have flown in the face of all expert opinion and leaders of all political pursuatons apart from Trump and Putin.
Just heard a beaut on 5 live. Wants out because there are no public toilets in his town. The EU forced them to build a library and the Welsh Government in Bridgend don't care about them . You could not make it up. Would be funny if it was not so tragic.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 9:30]

This is the level of stupidity we're having to deal with, the EU allocates funding to deprived areas the money is distributed by the WAG for instance.

"I still want to leave, I don't know anything about it. We won't know what it means until we are not in it."

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:18 - Mar 29 with 1392 viewsrock1n

Brexit City : Swansea on 11:55 - Mar 29 by Highjack

Just watched it now. There's not a single anti immigrant comment in the whole thing. They want more controls on immigration so that we can pick and choose the people who can come in to do the jobs we need which is absolutely sensible and is a policy endorsed by most countries around the world.

In Ebbw Vale HighJack.

Ebbw Vale - let's destroy the Country because they might see a black face in Ebbw Vale

Ebbw fckin Vale

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:24 - Mar 29 with 1384 viewsWarwickHunt

Brexit City : Swansea on 13:11 - Mar 29 by Kerouac

Re: the BBC reporting of Brexit

Did anyone hear the historian Richard Starkey on Radio 4's 'Today' this morning?
Conducting the interview was Nick "Oh to be jammed up Tony Blair's arse" Robinson...a man I have long found to be an idiot. I do not understand how his career has gone so well at the BBC, an appalling journalist, utterly biased (you are never left in doubt as to what he thinks about a subject)...
...anyway, Starkey criticised the quality of the content on the show and was hectored by Robinson, Starkey responded;

“Shut up Nick and listen to somebody who actually knows something!”

For years I have been shouting similar things at my radio!

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:34 - Mar 29 with 1364 viewsLohengrin

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:18 - Mar 29 by rock1n

In Ebbw Vale HighJack.

Ebbw Vale - let's destroy the Country because they might see a black face in Ebbw Vale

Ebbw fckin Vale

Swansea voted leave too, Rockin'. As did Neath and Port Talbot. All of West Glamorgan wanted out.

[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 14:35]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:36 - Mar 29 with 1356 viewstrampie

That Kerouac poster is a toy, if he is talking about who I think he is talking about that bloke is a toy as well, not just rude and obnoxious who fails to see the big picture but seems to know nothing about the Celtic countries whenever I see him talking.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:36 - Mar 29 with 1356 viewsLohengrin

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:24 - Mar 29 by WarwickHunt

Marvellous typo, that.

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:37 - Mar 29 with 1350 viewsDarran

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:24 - Mar 29 by WarwickHunt

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:38 - Mar 29 with 1342 viewsDarran

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:36 - Mar 29 by trampie

That Kerouac poster is a toy, if he is talking about who I think he is talking about that bloke is a toy as well, not just rude and obnoxious who fails to see the big picture but seems to know nothing about the Celtic countries whenever I see him talking.

He was a toy under his previous two usernames too.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:39 - Mar 29 with 1340 viewsrock1n

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:34 - Mar 29 by Lohengrin

Swansea voted leave too, Rockin'. As did Neath and Port Talbot. All of West Glamorgan wanted out.

[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 14:35]

Yes but at least we've had some immigration, there isn't any danger of immigration to the valleys who voted to leave.... based on immigration.

Our decision was embarrassing, the Welsh decision as a whole was embarrassing. The areas that receive less from the EU than they send out voted to remain. The areas like Swansea which has benefited from EU funding, the valleys with objective 1 funding voted leave.

When we 'take back control' will a right wing Gov really be interested in ploughing 100's of millions into an area where there's such low productivity and high welfare.

It's going to end in tears for these people and as already intimated by Ministers we're likely to possibly see 'higher' immigration now and 'higher' immigration from OUTSIDE of Europe.

This really is an example of turkeys voting for Christmas.

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:50 - Mar 29 with 1313 viewsLohengrin

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:39 - Mar 29 by rock1n

Yes but at least we've had some immigration, there isn't any danger of immigration to the valleys who voted to leave.... based on immigration.

Our decision was embarrassing, the Welsh decision as a whole was embarrassing. The areas that receive less from the EU than they send out voted to remain. The areas like Swansea which has benefited from EU funding, the valleys with objective 1 funding voted leave.

When we 'take back control' will a right wing Gov really be interested in ploughing 100's of millions into an area where there's such low productivity and high welfare.

It's going to end in tears for these people and as already intimated by Ministers we're likely to possibly see 'higher' immigration now and 'higher' immigration from OUTSIDE of Europe.

This really is an example of turkeys voting for Christmas.

Personally I think something quite profound could be just over the horizon. I thinks it's pretty clear that there is little faith left in our political institutions and none whatever in our politicians.

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:58 - Mar 29 with 1306 viewsrock1n

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:50 - Mar 29 by Lohengrin

Personally I think something quite profound could be just over the horizon. I thinks it's pretty clear that there is little faith left in our political institutions and none whatever in our politicians.

The problem is mate imo the EU is taking the flak for decades of poor decisions and democratic deficits within our own borders.

Take one issue immigration as its so totemic:

We were leading advocates within the EU of expansionism, we had the most liberal policies on free movement and yet who did we blame the EU! Our economy is largely service sector based, therefore we need a large pool of labour, Germany with a relatively static population has grown through productivity improvements and exports.

People complain about wealth divides, this is not the fault of the EU but choices that have taken place in Westminster.

I just get so frustrated by it all, but how do you counter and overwhelmingly hostile media who feed the masses this crap.

Brexit City : Swansea on 15:06 - Mar 29 with 1294 viewstrampie

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:50 - Mar 29 by Lohengrin

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/20/brexit-cant-just-english-theresa-may-

If money is not diverted to areas of the state that need it most then the state will split, the EU money tap into poorer areas of Wales is about to be turned off, if Westminster does not fill that gap then Wales down the line might go down the independence root.

Brexit City : Swansea on 15:10 - Mar 29 with 1293 viewsKerouac

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:16 - Mar 29 by rock1n

This is the level of stupidity we're having to deal with, the EU allocates funding to deprived areas the money is distributed by the WAG for instance.

"I still want to leave, I don't know anything about it. We won't know what it means until we are not in it."

You keep missing out a few important steps in the process;

1. The UK allocates funding to the EU

2. The EU allocates some of that funding to deprived areas...e.g. via WAG, with strings attached to how it may be spent

3. The EU allocates the rest of the UK's money in Europe.

4. The EU rewards our generosity by legislating on our behalf, controlling who we may do trade deals with, imposing tariffs on the rest of the World (in order that we buy our food from French, Spanish and Italian farmers rather than farmers outside the EU)

5. Furthermore, the EUs fishermen get to fish OUR waters

6. EU graduates get to come here and take a chunk of the jobs our vibrant economy creates. EU's low-skilled and low paid get to come here and take the majority of that type of job our economy creates (because they will do it cheaper). Meanwhile the reverse is kept to a minimum by the language barrier and the fact that they have made such a mess of their economies that they are not creating as many jobs.

7. No-mark politicians in Brussels believe they can piss from a great height on the British (despite us being huge contributors to their budget and their single market) who wish to make amendments to the situation as there is no mechanism for Britain to remove them.

....yeah, we must be fecking stupid.

Brexit City : Swansea on 15:12 - Mar 29 with 1288 viewsKerouac

Brexit City : Swansea on 15:06 - Mar 29 by trampie

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/20/brexit-cant-just-english-theresa-may-

If money is not diverted to areas of the state that need it most then the state will split, the EU money tap into poorer areas of Wales is about to be turned off, if Westminster does not fill that gap then Wales down the line might go down the independence root.

route.

Brexit City : Swansea on 15:27 - Mar 29 with 1265 viewsrock1n

Brexit City : Swansea on 15:10 - Mar 29 by Kerouac

You keep missing out a few important steps in the process;

1. The UK allocates funding to the EU

2. The EU allocates some of that funding to deprived areas...e.g. via WAG, with strings attached to how it may be spent

3. The EU allocates the rest of the UK's money in Europe.

4. The EU rewards our generosity by legislating on our behalf, controlling who we may do trade deals with, imposing tariffs on the rest of the World (in order that we buy our food from French, Spanish and Italian farmers rather than farmers outside the EU)

5. Furthermore, the EUs fishermen get to fish OUR waters

6. EU graduates get to come here and take a chunk of the jobs our vibrant economy creates. EU's low-skilled and low paid get to come here and take the majority of that type of job our economy creates (because they will do it cheaper). Meanwhile the reverse is kept to a minimum by the language barrier and the fact that they have made such a mess of their economies that they are not creating as many jobs.

7. No-mark politicians in Brussels believe they can piss from a great height on the British (despite us being huge contributors to their budget and their single market) who wish to make amendments to the situation as there is no mechanism for Britain to remove them.

....yeah, we must be fecking stupid.

We'll see, we'll see.

I hope you're right, my guess is at best it will be damage limitation and those areas who voted leave will be shat on. Not immediately but in 5-10 years time, when it's history.

People will be reading about this time in the future and say how could the British have been so stupid.

Brexit City : Swansea on 15:29 - Mar 29 with 1265 viewsLohengrin

Brexit City : Swansea on 14:58 - Mar 29 by rock1n

The problem is mate imo the EU is taking the flak for decades of poor decisions and democratic deficits within our own borders.

Take one issue immigration as its so totemic:

We were leading advocates within the EU of expansionism, we had the most liberal policies on free movement and yet who did we blame the EU! Our economy is largely service sector based, therefore we need a large pool of labour, Germany with a relatively static population has grown through productivity improvements and exports.

People complain about wealth divides, this is not the fault of the EU but choices that have taken place in Westminster.

I just get so frustrated by it all, but how do you counter and overwhelmingly hostile media who feed the masses this crap.

Most of those arrows hit the mark.

Brexit City : Swansea on 15:30 - Mar 29 with 1261 viewstrampie

The one country that is desperate to keep the union together is England, they want to be one of us, they even call themselves Britons, yeah righto, will they replace EU money going to Wales, if they don't there might/will be consequences.

The effect of Brexit on Scotland [material change from last indy ref], on N.Ireland [Republic already in the EU] are obvious, but there is also an effect on Wales as well.

I'm now seeing English people calling for a Federation, perhaps they can see the writing on the wall.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024