Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phoning the tax office... 17:25 - Jul 23 with 7138 viewsscottishjack

Been sat here for over 30 minutes listening to some lovely pre-recorded music...bored to tears, so I thought I would just post this...

Anyone else had to contact the tax office lately? Had to answer some questions repeatedly to some sort of voice recognition thing which took forever, and now this! It's just to resolve an emergency tax code! Surely these days I could have just done this online?

Phoning the tax office... on 10:48 - Jul 24 with 1645 viewssherpajacob

I had a phone call from a, nice Nigerian gentleman. if I give him all my financial details he will do my tax returns and arrange a rebate direct to my bank account.
What have I got to lose?

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Phoning the tax office... on 10:50 - Jul 24 with 1637 viewsscottishjack

Phoning the tax office... on 10:48 - Jul 24 by sherpajacob

I had a phone call from a, nice Nigerian gentleman. if I give him all my financial details he will do my tax returns and arrange a rebate direct to my bank account.
What have I got to lose?

Lucky bugger! I never get calls like that! Where am I going wrong?
Phoning the tax office... on 11:08 - Jul 24 with 1619 viewsexhmrc1

Phoning the tax office... on 10:50 - Jul 24 by scottishjack

Lucky bugger! I never get calls like that! Where am I going wrong?

have you got through and has it been sorted. Are you emergency code or bsic rate which many refer to as emergency. emergency code deducts the correct amount for most per week but is noy backdated to the end of the year. if tually on basic rate shown as br or 0t they are treating it as a second job. if youve recently started a new job and are on br fill in form P46 from your employer
Phoning the tax office... on 11:13 - Jul 24 with 1613 viewsscottishjack

Phoning the tax office... on 11:08 - Jul 24 by exhmrc1

have you got through and has it been sorted. Are you emergency code or bsic rate which many refer to as emergency. emergency code deducts the correct amount for most per week but is noy backdated to the end of the year. if tually on basic rate shown as br or 0t they are treating it as a second job. if youve recently started a new job and are on br fill in form P46 from your employer

0t...Long story short, my current employer is also my previous employer, but my p45 has vanished somewhere. They used to have a p46 form on the computer but it has been taken off the system?

Haven't got through yet and I'll leave it just now as I start work in an hour.
Phoning the tax office... on 11:22 - Jul 24 with 1610 viewsLord_Bony

Phoning the tax office... on 10:38 - Jul 24 by exhmrc1

as someone who worked for the tax office for 35 years may I try to shed some light on the problem. My first 30 or so years there were fine but since the merger with Vat the place has become a shambles. They decided last June to close all tax enquiry offices on the guise they were not needed and people were able to deal over the telephone. They remove people from contact centres to use for compliance co it is little wonder there are now poblems. An ex-colleague of minespent 75 minutes getting through a couple of weeks ago. It is partly a result of government cuts ut also a totally inept management. Dont blame the staff they are totall frustrated by this. As has been said many are leaving (10 left between Dec and April in Swansea alone) and the training for the newer staff is totally inadequate. Matters are only going to get worse. HMRC has closed offices in Aberystwyth, Haverfordwest, Carmarthen, Llanelli Bridgend, Brecon, Merthyr, Pontypridd,Pontypool and Newport in the last few years and in the next few years will close Swansea and Wrexham. By 2020 they will have gone from an excess of 400 offices throughout Britain to 17 and the staff will have gone from 90000 to under 40000. No wonder there are problems but the politicians and HMRC management fail to acknowledge this. A couple of years ago I commented on how poor the service had become in Enquiry Centres. Staff were told to put people on phones or the net and the personal service had been eroded agaist the staff wishes. Iwas told by a manager how the service had actually IMPROVED due to the contact centres being open longer. Finally this is my first post here and please dont blame my ex colleagues. I have not yet met one of them who are happy and are all frustrated with the shambles HMRC is now

Thanks HMRC for your informative reply.

It s a busy time of the year I suppose with Tax Credits deadline approaching and for anyone to get through now would be difficult.

It seems more work is being farmed out to big American companies for the compliance checks which will further drain the system. How have they got rid of so many tax inspectors then complain revenues are down?..Not many are complaining over this I suppose...lol...

Not a good place to work in at the moment I should imagine.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Phoning the tax office... on 13:54 - Jul 25 with 1512 viewsPrivate_Partz

Phoning the tax office... on 21:02 - Jul 23 by Pacemaker

I do a lot of work with HMRC and the experienced inspectors have gone and replaced by inexperienced call handlers.

If it's not on the script they can't deal with it, you have to feel for the staff they have not had the training and all they told to do is get the money in the coffers.

The annoying part for you Phil is that next year they will say that you have overpaid and try to give it back, my Mrs has this farce for five years until I went to the tax office in Swansea caused a scene and ended up speaking to an experienced inspector all sorted and no contact since.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2015 21:05]

And worse it is going to get as Osbourne calls for more if those nasty Public Sector workers to be kicked out.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Phoning the tax office... on 12:48 - Jul 26 with 1449 viewsJonJack

Phoning the tax office... on 11:13 - Jul 24 by scottishjack

0t...Long story short, my current employer is also my previous employer, but my p45 has vanished somewhere. They used to have a p46 form on the computer but it has been taken off the system?

Haven't got through yet and I'll leave it just now as I start work in an hour.

The weird thing is for us accountants there is an agent dedicated line and you get through in two minutes flat. Not that I'm complaining.

With your situation I'm not sure there is much the Tax Office would do as they would expect your employer to have your P45 and probably just tell you to get a copy from him. He should have it really and one possibility that he is telling you he can't find it is that he may worry you had another job in between working for him and that he will be liable for this tax if that turns out to be the case.

He should have you on 1060L Week 1 and if that is the case then you may have to wait until the end of the tax year to claim the rest of the refund. If you are being taxed at BR then you can complete a P46 and I can email you a blank one of these if you PM me your email address.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024