Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? 06:05 - Jan 16 with 5301 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Our squad is screaming out for a rough, tenacious DM, and its the one missing piece we have yet to fill. But as it stands, it looks like we aren't even trying to sign one right now for some reason, with only a few fullbacks being touted as our remaining signings (Naughton, Olsson, and Kolodziejczak).

Its pretty incredible that since this summer we have been linked to and tried to sign of these following defensive midfielders, but failed on all of them:

Benjamin Stambouli
Jack Cork
Muhamed Bešić
Yeltsin Tejada
Luca Cigarini
Ramón Azeez

I know we signed Matt Grimes, but he isn't a DM. Neither is Ki, Carroll, or Shelvey. The closest thing we have to a proper DM like Jedinak, Song, Tiote, or Schneiderlin is Britton, but he's well past it and aging, unfortunately, and struggles to win headers because of his height.

This is frustrating. I know we tried (and failed) in the past, but with the transfer window open again, we need to try again. No doubt we need some additional fullbacks, but I think a decent DM will benefit our squad more than anything right now.

Come on you Swans.

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 08:05 - Jan 16 with 3533 viewsNeathJack

Hi Dwight.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 08:11 - Jan 16 with 3522 viewscockneyswan

You mean " a thug" (Charlie Adam )?
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 09:43 - Jan 16 with 3427 viewsABERSWAN

Michael Essien is looking for a return back to the premier league this summer after his spell at AC Milan,according to this mornings paper. He is 32 now,but he was a quality player in his prime for Chelsea.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 09:53 - Jan 16 with 3396 viewsConcerned_Parent

I still can't believe we missed out on Stambouli. He was just what we needed!
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 09:59 - Jan 16 with 3370 viewsBloodyhills

Dwight or not I agree that we do need a tough hard tackling DM and they don't have to be a thug like CHarlie Adams. It would help us hang onto leads and not be bullied by more physical teams.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 10:24 - Jan 16 with 3311 viewsMatthew_117

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 09:53 - Jan 16 by Concerned_Parent

I still can't believe we missed out on Stambouli. He was just what we needed!

Has he been good for Spurs? He didn't start when we played them and just curious if we missed a gem or dodged a bullet
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 10:26 - Jan 16 with 3302 viewsTom1912

Ki has been fantastic this season, and has looked more than capable of playing the DM role. He is much stronger in the tackle and in the air now.

As a result, I don’t think it’s the priority it could have been.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 10:30 - Jan 16 with 3294 viewsConcerned_Parent

We missed a gem. He's been superb so far and played himself into the squad with the little time he got.
Login to get fewer ads

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 10:37 - Jan 16 with 3273 viewsthereisnospoon

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 10:26 - Jan 16 by Tom1912

Ki has been fantastic this season, and has looked more than capable of playing the DM role. He is much stronger in the tackle and in the air now.

As a result, I don’t think it’s the priority it could have been.

I like Ki, but he's not a DM. He almost never tackles and is incredibly soft. I don't think there's a less physical player in the league.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 10:51 - Jan 16 with 3245 viewsFar_Post

Ki has been getting stuck in a lot more this season to be fair and is certainly our best all round midfielder.

Britton is our only out and out defensive midfielder. His game is not about flying into challenges and tackles, however he does an awful lot of screening work in front of back four and tracking the midfield runners. If you watch the second half against West Ham last week, some of Leon's defensive work was outstanding against a difficult side.

I do agree though that a stronger ball winner in the middle of the park would be a welcome addition.

Blog: The C Word

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 10:58 - Jan 16 with 3224 viewsmagicdaps10

There is a perfect one available who we could afford and his wages are ok. Young, experienced and has international experience.

Ettienne Capoue!

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 11:11 - Jan 16 with 3208 viewsMyFinalHeaven

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 10:58 - Jan 16 by magicdaps10

There is a perfect one available who we could afford and his wages are ok. Young, experienced and has international experience.

Ettienne Capoue!

Ugh. He's been on my wish list forever, and I thought perhaps we could nick him off Spurs on loan last season when he was hardly getting any playing time. He's a starter now though, and I can't see Tottenham selling him any time soon.

Come on you Swans.

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 11:18 - Jan 16 with 3191 viewstomdickharry

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 10:58 - Jan 16 by magicdaps10

Ettienne Capoue!

Good shout, there is also another one that I have mentioned many times before Juraj Kucka of Genoa and Slovakia who fits the bill perfectly in midfield,one of the stars of the very very good Slovakian team who are unbeaten in the European Championships.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 11:23 - Jan 16 with 3184 viewsAJ101

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 10:24 - Jan 16 by Matthew_117

Has he been good for Spurs? He didn't start when we played them and just curious if we missed a gem or dodged a bullet

He's been ok considering it's his first season he'll get a lot of game time this month as Bentaleb is away at the ACON but generally he's behind him in the pecking order (but above Capoue for the DM spot).

I don't think you've either missed a gem or dodged a bullet he's probably what you'd expect for a £5m midfielder he does seem to get subbed in most matches suggesting his fitness isn't quite up to scratch though.

He's pretty good defensively which is to be expected but his passing is very hit or miss he can produce really good passing for 15mins then struggle for the next 15mins it's not even match by match it's quite strange but possibly down to getting to know his team mates actions.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 12:06 - Jan 16 with 3112 viewsA_Fans_Dad

"This is frustrating. I know we tried (and failed) in the past", do we actually know that?
I know GM said he wanted one, but did the club actually go for any?
I don't think they will bother this time either, but I hope I am wrong.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 12:24 - Jan 16 with 3080 viewsAJ101

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 11:11 - Jan 16 by MyFinalHeaven

Ugh. He's been on my wish list forever, and I thought perhaps we could nick him off Spurs on loan last season when he was hardly getting any playing time. He's a starter now though, and I can't see Tottenham selling him any time soon.

Capoue is certainly not a starter he's pretty much last choice of our midfielders (behind Bentaleb, Stambouli, Mason and Dembele). I'd expect us to sell if you offered what we paid for him. He's far to immobile for our system which I imagine is why Poch doesn't play him.

We'd probably try and draw out any transfer until closer to the end of January though as we have Bentaleb away on international duty and Mason out injured with 5 further matches this month.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 12:40 - Jan 16 with 3043 viewsDyfnant

Bring De Jong back to the Prem failing that have a sniff at Mark Noble

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 12:57 - Jan 16 with 3001 viewsfootball2301

we have done pretty well without one
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 12:58 - Jan 16 with 2996 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Is this the 90s?

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 13:10 - Jan 16 with 2972 viewssomersetsimon

"linked to" and "tried to sign" are not exactly the same thing.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 13:43 - Jan 16 with 2924 viewsTom1912

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 10:37 - Jan 16 by thereisnospoon

I like Ki, but he's not a DM. He almost never tackles and is incredibly soft. I don't think there's a less physical player in the league.

He has not been soft at all this season. He is winning far more tackles and is competing a lot more in the air.

He seems to have really improved that side of his game.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 14:07 - Jan 16 with 2897 viewsJBT95

Ki can play DM.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 15:26 - Jan 16 with 2811 viewsicecoldjack

I understand the logic, but a hard tackling no nonsense defensive midfielder will spend more time serving suspension then breaking up play, especially how we get treated by refs!

Bodde loved a tackle and he spent plenty of ti e either injured or serving suspensions, i do admit id love to see another one like him though.

If a ref finds it easy to send off the likes of routs and fedirico imagine the carnage if we had a player that actually loved a tackle!

We need someone with plenty of brains and a bit of brawn in this league IMO.
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 19:38 - Jan 16 with 2614 viewsfootball2301

Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 15:26 - Jan 16 by icecoldjack

I understand the logic, but a hard tackling no nonsense defensive midfielder will spend more time serving suspension then breaking up play, especially how we get treated by refs!

Bodde loved a tackle and he spent plenty of ti e either injured or serving suspensions, i do admit id love to see another one like him though.

If a ref finds it easy to send off the likes of routs and fedirico imagine the carnage if we had a player that actually loved a tackle!

We need someone with plenty of brains and a bit of brawn in this league IMO.

your not allowed to tackle no more !
Will we ever sign the ball winning defensive midfielder we so desperately need? on 20:29 - Jan 16 with 2540 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Funny that nobody has mentioned Carroll yet.

He's obviously been performing great for us lately (particularly last weekend when he had more touches and completed more passes than anyone in the PL); but is he not a true DM? If not, then where does he belong?

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024