Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" 09:56 - Nov 18 with 23632 viewssP7qupUf

Is this a genuine attempt to address pressing issues or a smokescreen to detract away from the ongoing issues with the C-19 pandemic, emerging issues around cronyism and the potential disaster with the "oven ready" Brexit deal? The lack of detail would suggest the latter to my mind.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:44 - Nov 19 with 3047 viewsGwyn737

For a bit of light climate denial frivolity, I enjoyed this clip:

The full version is on youtube for anyone who like a further laugh.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 14:04 - Nov 19 with 3033 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:30 - Nov 19 by A_Fans_Dad

" I think we'll see huge developments in technology over the nest 10 years to reduce cost. "

Reduction in what costs?

You say that you are very keen on environmental impacts, while denying the impacts of Wind Turbine Farms, well here is a serious one for you.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-54994865

A continued decrease in the cost of renewable power akin to that seen in wind generation over the last 30 plus years. In addition to an increase in efficiency.

It's a very tenuous link it seems to attribute that incident directly to wind power. What seems to have happened is whoever is constructing that wind farm has dropped a major b0ll0ck and will have a substantial fine - if indeed they are at fault. It looks like the fault of the developer rather than what they were building.

When operational a wind farm has little environmental impact if it is in the right place, nowadays the vast majority are.

A further point is that damage could quite easily be repaired, although some Peat would be lost, it is likely to have to be paid for by Invis Energy. That could not happen if that area had been above an area proposed for an open cast.

The first question from an EIA perspective I would like addressed is why it was being built on a Peat bog in the first place? I hope they had agreed appropriate mitigation.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 14:41 - Nov 19 with 3022 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:44 - Nov 19 by Gwyn737

For a bit of light climate denial frivolity, I enjoyed this clip:

The full version is on youtube for anyone who like a further laugh.

I'm watching that at the moment.

It is quite funny to see the Aussie senator being made to look daft by Prof Cox. I'm sure the politician is used to commanding a room with his (incorrect) views but Prof Cox, a fellow of the Royal Society, and probably more experienced in front of an audience than the senator is embarrassing him. It is typical of someone who doesn't understand climate change but thinks they do.

Actually the more I watch it Prof Cox is pretty impressive - I've never paid much attention to him before.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:54 - Nov 19 with 2997 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 14:41 - Nov 19 by Scotia

It is quite funny to see the Aussie senator being made to look daft by Prof Cox. I'm sure the politician is used to commanding a room with his (incorrect) views but Prof Cox, a fellow of the Royal Society, and probably more experienced in front of an audience than the senator is embarrassing him. It is typical of someone who doesn't understand climate change but thinks they do.

Actually the more I watch it Prof Cox is pretty impressive - I've never paid much attention to him before.

Except Prof Cox is wrong and Malcolm Roberts is right.
NASA and the Australian BOM have adjusted the Temperature data and it is well documented, but only by those dodgy Climate Deniers.
The fact that they used NASA's and BOM's own data is totally ignored because they are "deniers".
However if you really are interested I can prove it to you.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:25 - Nov 19 with 2985 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:54 - Nov 19 by A_Fans_Dad

Except Prof Cox is wrong and Malcolm Roberts is right.
NASA and the Australian BOM have adjusted the Temperature data and it is well documented, but only by those dodgy Climate Deniers.
The fact that they used NASA's and BOM's own data is totally ignored because they are "deniers".
However if you really are interested I can prove it to you.

You can prove a fellow of the royal society wrong? Crack on. Wow, you really are wasted on Planet Swans, what with your scientific qualifications.

What I found particularly amusing is the Prof pointing out the "Pause" clearly being accounted for in the graph. But like most deniers, you included, can't grasp the time scale involved and don't really understand climate v weather.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:34 - Nov 19 with 2978 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:25 - Nov 19 by Scotia

You can prove a fellow of the royal society wrong? Crack on. Wow, you really are wasted on Planet Swans, what with your scientific qualifications.

What I found particularly amusing is the Prof pointing out the "Pause" clearly being accounted for in the graph. But like most deniers, you included, can't grasp the time scale involved and don't really understand climate v weather.

So you do not believe that NASA adjusts the data?

ps How many do you want to see before you will accept it?
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 18:45]
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:42 - Nov 19 with 2976 viewsDr_Winston

Wind turbines on a large scale are a pointless waste of money and effort. The UK should have staked far more on tidal power. For what HS2 will cost we could have multiple offshore tidal power generating stations in the Bristol Channel, around the Scottish islands etc.

Also the "mini" nuclear power plants proposed by RR are interesting. Until society cracks the fusion issue nuclear remains the most productive and reliable power generating technology we have.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:52 - Nov 19 with 2971 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:42 - Nov 19 by Dr_Winston

Wind turbines on a large scale are a pointless waste of money and effort. The UK should have staked far more on tidal power. For what HS2 will cost we could have multiple offshore tidal power generating stations in the Bristol Channel, around the Scottish islands etc.

Also the "mini" nuclear power plants proposed by RR are interesting. Until society cracks the fusion issue nuclear remains the most productive and reliable power generating technology we have.

You are correct about Wind Turbines and Small Modular Nuclear Reactors (SMRs) and also Molten Salt Reactors (MSRs), but I am afraid Tidal has it's own set of problems. The main one is it's intermittency, solar only produces it's maximum once per day, Tidal it is twice per day with large periods without generation.
So no good for Baseload Generation.
They are also prone to wear, damage and silting.
Login to get fewer ads

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:59 - Nov 19 with 2965 viewsDr_Winston

Tides come in and out four times a day in most places. And during those times "slack water" generally lasts for less than two hours combined depending upon where the generators are sited, which would obviously be taken into consideration.

So that's 22 hours a day. Seven days a week. 52 weeks a year. Generating as the water rises and falls, maintenance permitting. Predictable. Dependable.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 19:58 - Nov 19 with 2954 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:59 - Nov 19 by Dr_Winston

Tides come in and out four times a day in most places. And during those times "slack water" generally lasts for less than two hours combined depending upon where the generators are sited, which would obviously be taken into consideration.

So that's 22 hours a day. Seven days a week. 52 weeks a year. Generating as the water rises and falls, maintenance permitting. Predictable. Dependable.

Sorry I was basing it on the analysis for the Swansea Tidal Lagoon here.

http://euanmearns.com/swansea-bay-tidal-lagoon-and-baseload-tidal-generation-in-

According to this chart it comes in twice a day, but you get 4 generating periods.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast-and-sea/tide-tables/11/508
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 20:21 - Nov 19 with 2951 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:34 - Nov 19 by A_Fans_Dad

So you do not believe that NASA adjusts the data?

ps How many do you want to see before you will accept it?
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 18:45]

Do you think they shouldn't adjust the data?
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 08:32 - Nov 20 with 2907 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 20:21 - Nov 19 by Scotia

Do you think they shouldn't adjust the data?

I see thast you have now changed your story.
You are admitting that Cox was wrong and Roberts was right the.
No the data should not be adjusted other than to correct individual galring errors.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 08:45 - Nov 20 with 2906 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 19:58 - Nov 19 by A_Fans_Dad

Sorry I was basing it on the analysis for the Swansea Tidal Lagoon here.

http://euanmearns.com/swansea-bay-tidal-lagoon-and-baseload-tidal-generation-in-

According to this chart it comes in twice a day, but you get 4 generating periods.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast-and-sea/tide-tables/11/508

Yes the tide comes in twice a day and goes out twice a day that is four generating periods. There needs to be significant differences in the water levels inside and outside the lagoon to generate power efficiently. There would be four periods each day of about 2 hours when the water level differences would no large enough to generate electricity efficiently. That would mean about 16 hours a day when electricity could be generated. Of the 16 hours part of the time would be generation output would low but it would be predictable.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 8:49]

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 09:36 - Nov 20 with 2900 viewsDr_Winston

Lagoons are just one option. I'm thinking stream generators mainly.

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 10:03 - Nov 20 with 2897 viewsHighjack

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 14:41 - Nov 19 by Scotia

He’s lived a very colourful life too. Twice he’s abandoned his career in physics for a rock/pop music career.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 10:07 - Nov 20 with 2897 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:14 - Nov 19 by A_Fans_Dad

You keep quoting the theory, how about quoting some facts based on UK experience.
First of all we have the Installation price, typical air pump costs £6000-£18000 compared to about £2500 for a good quality gas boiler.

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/08/the-running-costs-of-heat-pumps

So before you start on the running costs you have an initial £3500- £15500 deficit to make up. Which in my case is a minimum of about 15 years worth of gas.
Now about the running costs.
"Whilst Heat Pumps are still not yet efficient enough to compete directly with Gas Central Heating Systems"
from
https://electricheatingcosts.com/heat-pump-running-cost/

It is actually 3 times as much, but even then it is when conditions are optimum.
The running costs are shown in this report

https://www.imsheatpumps.co.uk/blog/air-source-heat-pump-running-costs/

But note they use a unit cost of £0.13, but current average prices are £0.1386 to £0.1560.

https://www.ukpower.co.uk/home_energy/tariffs-per-unit-kwh

So for the example house requiring 12,000Kw/year you need 4000Kw of Electricity at those prices leads to Annual costs of £554.4 to £624 .
Whereas 12000Kw/year of gas at 0.0278/Kw to 0.02859/Kw gives annual costs of £333.6 to £343.08.

So explain to me again where your savings are going to come from to recover the initial outlay deficit of over £3500.

Even if you could acually get a COP of 5 for ground pumps all the year round the running costs would still be 2400Kw at £0.14 for an anual bill of £332 to £374.

So without the various subsidies Air Sourced heat pumps make no financial sense at all, unless you live off the Gas grid.

ps Editing mixedup Air & ground pumps
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 12:25]

I seriously doubt you could get a gas central heating system in a new build house for £1800 . You should at least try to compare like with like.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 10:18 - Nov 20 with 2893 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 08:45 - Nov 20 by felixstowe_jack

Yes the tide comes in twice a day and goes out twice a day that is four generating periods. There needs to be significant differences in the water levels inside and outside the lagoon to generate power efficiently. There would be four periods each day of about 2 hours when the water level differences would no large enough to generate electricity efficiently. That would mean about 16 hours a day when electricity could be generated. Of the 16 hours part of the time would be generation output would low but it would be predictable.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 8:49]

I worked quite extensively on the lagoon.

The idea is great but I think they were over ambitious over the scale and devoted too much effort to BS PR and not enough on getting the thing built.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 10:36 - Nov 20 with 2889 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 08:32 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

I see thast you have now changed your story.
You are admitting that Cox was wrong and Roberts was right the.
No the data should not be adjusted other than to correct individual galring errors.

I haven't changed my story.

Why should data not be adjusted? Feel free to refer to a thesaurus, I think it will help.

The nature of meteorological data collection means it has to be "adjusted". Have you ever collected meteorological data? I have as you know.

In all seriousness, I'd be happy to have an honest conversation with you and discuss all things climate and meteorology. Whoever you get this information from is leading you up the garden path.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 10:55 - Nov 20 with 2880 viewsCatullus

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:52 - Nov 19 by A_Fans_Dad

You are correct about Wind Turbines and Small Modular Nuclear Reactors (SMRs) and also Molten Salt Reactors (MSRs), but I am afraid Tidal has it's own set of problems. The main one is it's intermittency, solar only produces it's maximum once per day, Tidal it is twice per day with large periods without generation.
So no good for Baseload Generation.
They are also prone to wear, damage and silting.

Everything is prone to wear and damage. When you say tidal only produces twice a day, yes it does but for hours at a time. The tide comes in and goes out generating power for several hours a day. It is also very predictable and reliable.

When storage technology has improved it'll be a combination of wind, solar and tidal that'll provide what we need.

https://actionrenewables.co.uk/news-events/post.php?s=everything-you-need-to-kno

I believe Swansea has he second biggest rise and fall of tide and the second fastest too, an ideal place for tidal on the face of it. We just need the tech to get to the right standard.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:37 - Nov 20 with 2869 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 10:55 - Nov 20 by Catullus

Everything is prone to wear and damage. When you say tidal only produces twice a day, yes it does but for hours at a time. The tide comes in and goes out generating power for several hours a day. It is also very predictable and reliable.

When storage technology has improved it'll be a combination of wind, solar and tidal that'll provide what we need.

https://actionrenewables.co.uk/news-events/post.php?s=everything-you-need-to-kno

I believe Swansea has he second biggest rise and fall of tide and the second fastest too, an ideal place for tidal on the face of it. We just need the tech to get to the right standard.

The actual time where there is no tidal flow is very small indeed. In some tides less than 2 hours a day.

Tidal energy has huge potential especially around here. As you say the Bristol channel has the second highest range in the world after the Bay of Fundy in Canada.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:42 - Nov 20 with 2867 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 10:36 - Nov 20 by Scotia

I haven't changed my story.

Why should data not be adjusted? Feel free to refer to a thesaurus, I think it will help.

The nature of meteorological data collection means it has to be "adjusted". Have you ever collected meteorological data? I have as you know.

In all seriousness, I'd be happy to have an honest conversation with you and discuss all things climate and meteorology. Whoever you get this information from is leading you up the garden path.

OK, You obviously believe that adjustments are OK.
I would like you to explain the justification for the adjustments shown in the attached links, I assume that you know how to read the charts whigh are produced by NASA.
I cannot clim that this is my work because it isn't it is the work of a nice Japanese young lady called Kyrie.
The first one is NASA GISS V3 for Casa Blanca

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/stdata_show_v3.cgi?id=406783250000&am

This one is NASA GISS V4 for Casa Blanca

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/stdata_show_v4.cgi?id=CUM00078325&

This is a different version of NASA GISS V4 for Casa Blanca

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/stdata_show_v4.cgi?id=CUM00078325&

I suggest that you open the charts in different tabs to view them side by side or paste the in to Excel or similar to view them.

I await you explanation.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:49 - Nov 20 with 2866 viewsCatullus

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:37 - Nov 20 by Scotia

The actual time where there is no tidal flow is very small indeed. In some tides less than 2 hours a day.

Tidal energy has huge potential especially around here. As you say the Bristol channel has the second highest range in the world after the Bay of Fundy in Canada.

I think only Mont St Michel has a faster tidal flow too. I might be wrong and can't be bothered to check!

What you say about data, I accept it gets adjusted but it's the reasons for the adjustment I get suspicious over. For example, East Anglia Uni got caught adjusting data to make the science fit their argument over global warming. To me the data is the data and changing it changes the outcome, changes the results, which in turn changes the predictions made based on the data. Surely changing/adjusting data is largely flawed?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:52 - Nov 20 with 2864 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:49 - Nov 20 by Catullus

I think only Mont St Michel has a faster tidal flow too. I might be wrong and can't be bothered to check!

What you say about data, I accept it gets adjusted but it's the reasons for the adjustment I get suspicious over. For example, East Anglia Uni got caught adjusting data to make the science fit their argument over global warming. To me the data is the data and changing it changes the outcome, changes the results, which in turn changes the predictions made based on the data. Surely changing/adjusting data is largely flawed?

Cat, adjusted data is no longer representative data, it is someone's idea of what the data should be.
I suggest that you look at the 3 links that I posted and decide for yourself.

I have more of them.

ps Isn't the Severn River one of the highest tide ranges?
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:58 - Nov 20 with 2863 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:37 - Nov 20 by Scotia

You seem to think that a a foot or two of tidal increase is enough water to run the Turbines at full power, which is what the Tidal laggon would have done.

The Turbines need to be permenantly under water, not in a lagoon, so you are talking deep sea installation.
Have you ever wondered why a lot of the world is not being run on Tidal power already?
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:04 - Nov 20 with 2859 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 10:55 - Nov 20 by Catullus

"When storage technology has improved it'll be a combination of wind, solar and tidal that'll provide what we need."

Dream on.

If it ever comes about you won't be able to afford the electricity it produces and it will save zero CO2, which is what it is supposed be all about.
According to the latest reports the offshore Turbines are wearing out much faster than on land ones due to the adverse conditions which degrades their performance by as much as 4.5% per year.
https://www.manhattan-institute.org/dismal-economics-offshore-wind-energy
Their maintenance is very difficult and very expensive.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 12:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024