Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Calendar 16:48 - Oct 5 with 3092 viewsLblock

Can someone please let me know what date the “it’s still early days” statement gets dropped?

I’ll circle the date and call that the “Should’ve gelled by now” part of the season

Can’t believe I’m already hoping we’ve got things lined up for January!!!!!
We are desperate for a striker to help out Frey
Need two pacey physical monsters in midfield and to fcuk off the Danish Dozzell and either crucify Jesus or bin him off
I’d like a left back who is interested and, if our sick note CB’s remain out, then another Cook type but with some pace

That might be enough to stay up

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Calendar on 16:57 - Oct 5 with 3013 viewsDamo1962

I wouldn't trust the club or manager to get any of those things right that you mention.
Calendar on 17:00 - Oct 5 with 2990 viewsjohnhoop

I’m sure that there will be people along to tell us that we burned through all of our extremely limited transfer budget in the summer and there won’t be anything in the kitty left to finance the strengthening we so badly need if we’re going to survive.
Calendar on 17:02 - Oct 5 with 2962 viewsMatch82

I know this is tongue in cheek but honestly?

IMO 5 games you should get a sense of where things are
10 games you can start to feel pretty confident that's what you are (adjustments can be made things can change of course)

We look like a bottom third team and probably are. And when you look around the squads in the league that probably shouldn't be a shock - any "top half" expectations made before the season started were mostly based on some exciting looking new signings and the fact that Marti had us playing well above the sum of our parts last year.

Nardi looks great, I personally think Dembele and Saito have both flashed quality but not sure you can play both and Chair at the same time. Madsen and Celar have been big disappointments so far. And Marti certainly doesn't have us playing above the sum of our parts this year so far.

My general sense is that we aren't shocked, but we are disappointed.

I'd guess there are another 5 teams in this league where the message board feeling is similar.
Calendar on 17:16 - Oct 5 with 2855 viewsrbee

After this weeks two performances under League Rules I believe we can apply for Emergency Loans.
Calendar on 18:51 - Oct 5 with 2601 viewsDamo1962

Calendar on 17:02 - Oct 5 by Match82

10 games you can start to feel pretty confident that's what you are (adjustments can be made things can change of course)

We look like a bottom third team and probably are. And when you look around the squads in the league that probably shouldn't be a shock - any "top half" expectations made before the season started were mostly based on some exciting looking new signings and the fact that Marti had us playing well above the sum of our parts last year.

Nardi looks great, I personally think Dembele and Saito have both flashed quality but not sure you can play both and Chair at the same time. Madsen and Celar have been big disappointments so far. And Marti certainly doesn't have us playing above the sum of our parts this year so far.

I'd guess there are another 5 teams in this league where the message board feeling is similar.

I'm not sure we are bottom third...that would be an improvement at the moment.To my eyes,we look bottom three...maybe even rock bottom. We have plenty of time to get out of trouble of course, but living in hope that players who look awful and seem to be getting worse every game doing it...is debatable. Let's hope you are right and I am wrong 🙂
Calendar on 19:08 - Oct 5 with 2573 viewsRangersDave

Strap in boys, 2 weeks to go until the second coming of Marti.

I loved last season, but this? not so far.
I'm not appreciating the powderpuff boys, and the lesser sucessful Marti.

(joking now), but come back Gareth!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Calendar on 00:41 - Oct 6 with 2214 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Calendar on 19:08 - Oct 5 by RangersDave

Strap in boys, 2 weeks to go until the second coming of Marti.

I loved last season, but this? not so far.
I'm not appreciating the powderpuff boys, and the lesser sucessful Marti.

(joking now), but come back Gareth!

The bizzare thing is we were shipping easy goals game after game under GA and almost immediatly Marti locked that down and we survived comfortably in the end.
Now we are back to letting schoolboy goals in despite our new Keeper but basically the same backline and not scoring at all up the other end which maves us move quickly down the table.
These last 3 games are the most frustrating baring today we should have been ahead but got got scored on they completly overran and Nardi prevented 4 or 5 goals going against our goal record .Worrying times for sure
Calendar on 07:12 - Oct 6 with 2057 viewsLblock

Calendar on 17:02 - Oct 5 by Match82

The first fifth of the season now done.

Without a wholesale change in results across the next fifth I can’t see Marti surviving and that is a huge shame, wrong and (another) medium term crisis for the club.

I look at this squad and I really fear for the Spanish magician
Really hope he can work a spell these next two weeks

Login to get fewer ads

Calendar on 07:20 - Oct 6 with 2032 viewsandrew1302

It was Marti who asked for the players he got. He made the fundamental error of thinking he could do something different in this league. He is responsible for this mess and in his own words is very stubborn so is continuing with a style that simply does not work. He created it and if he dies by it that is his fault. Anderson, Madson, Celar, Santos, Varane were a waste of money and in my view will all disappear from the club within 18 months. Personally i would give Marti 3 more games but if he doesn't change i don't see results will and they never will with the squad he has formed and the style he wants to play. The problem is all of the clubs making and once again we find ourselves in a situation caused by a poor transfer policy. Belk should probably move on too unless he has a very good excuse.
Calendar on 07:50 - Oct 6 with 1968 viewsHunterhoop

I definitely wouldn’t suggest sacking anyone now/yet. It is too early to judge Belk’s signings in the round, although they don’t look too promising (Nardi apart), and clearly Cifuentes did an excellent job last year so I am sure he can fix it by being pragmatic and compromising on his footballing beliefs a little. If he doesn’t, I think this squad will go down trying to play this way.

In answer to your question, LBlock, it’s Saturday 19th October. Will be the 10th game. Will come after a two week block on the training ground with no matches to get this right. JCS should be back, and hopefully Colback. Chair should be fit and ready too. And we’re playing Portsmouth at home. One of only two sides below us.

If we can’t beat them and the team still hasn’t gelled then we have big problems. Even a draw if we play well and are unlucky is okay. We have to show something. Our next 6 fixture are:

Portsmouth (H)
Coventry (H)
Burnley (A)
Sunderland (H)
Middlesbrough (H)
Leeds (A)

After Portsmouth that is a very hard run of fixtures. Equally, only 2 away games out of 6. If we haven’t gelled by the Portsmouth game we could very conceivably not win any of those. If that were to happen, and we comfortably lose 2-3 more home games, the crowd will have turned, I think.

For his sake, our sake, and the club’s sake, he has to show some pragmatism again. Put Field, Colback and one of Varane, EBD, Madsen, Andersen (one only!) in the middle. Stick Dunne back at RB (if it means playing Fox a CB because JCS isn’t fit yet, so be it). Dembele on one side, Chair on the other. Frey up top. That side should beat Portsmouth. And don’t be afraid to knock it long and mix up this playing out. Make teams work hard to score against us.
Calendar on 08:58 - Oct 6 with 1901 viewsessextaxiboy

We just need to ride this out . We know what this manager is capable of .We spent all of last summer holding our breath in case somebody took him .
Just signed a new a new contract . It would be madness to sack him IMO
The age old question would have to be answered , Who replaces him ?
Calendar on 09:22 - Oct 6 with 1857 viewsHunterhoop

No one is suggesting he is sacked. That would be madness. Thread is about when is enough time to expect the squad to have gelled and us look half decent.

I think Portsmouth. 10 games in. Will have had 2 weeks to prep on the training ground. We should look competent by then even if we don’t win.
Calendar on 09:44 - Oct 6 with 1827 viewsessextaxiboy

Calendar on 09:22 - Oct 6 by Hunterhoop

No one is suggesting he is sacked. That would be madness. Thread is about when is enough time to expect the squad to have gelled and us look half decent.

I think Portsmouth. 10 games in. Will have had 2 weeks to prep on the training ground. We should look competent by then even if we don’t win.

" I wouldn't trust the club or manager to get any of those things right."

" He is responsible for this mess "

"He created it and if he dies by it that is his fault."

"Personally i would give Marti 3 more games"

All quotes from this thread and its only October
Calendar on 10:00 - Oct 6 with 1794 viewsRangersw12

Bigger picture is we should be more concerned about the person who signed these players and who is clearly setting the style of play

As for now let's get Colback and JCS back first before we get the pitchforks out for another manager....
Calendar on 14:12 - Oct 6 with 1651 viewsR_from_afar

Calendar on 07:20 - Oct 6 by andrew1302

It was Marti who asked for the players he got. He made the fundamental error of thinking he could do something different in this league. He is responsible for this mess and in his own words is very stubborn so is continuing with a style that simply does not work. He created it and if he dies by it that is his fault. Anderson, Madson, Celar, Santos, Varane were a waste of money and in my view will all disappear from the club within 18 months. Personally i would give Marti 3 more games but if he doesn't change i don't see results will and they never will with the squad he has formed and the style he wants to play. The problem is all of the clubs making and once again we find ourselves in a situation caused by a poor transfer policy. Belk should probably move on too unless he has a very good excuse.

"Anderson, Madson, Celar, Santos, Varane were a waste of money".

Look, we have been poor this season so far but you're really not giving these players much of a chance.

If we had given Frey - our best attacking player so far this season - so little time, he wouldn't be at QPR any more.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Calendar on 15:13 - Oct 6 with 1556 viewsandrew1302

That is fine to stay i haven't given them much of a chamce. i think the thread is about how long would you give them. For me 10 games gives one a reasonable idea. For you?
Calendar on 15:30 - Oct 6 with 1518 viewsR_from_afar

Calendar on 15:13 - Oct 6 by andrew1302

That is fine to stay i haven't given them much of a chamce. i think the thread is about how long would you give them. For me 10 games gives one a reasonable idea. For you?

But it's not just about the players' abilities, it's about the system in which you deploy them.

They may well turn out to be duds but when your team has few goals in it yet you set up with only one proper defensive midfielder, you are not giving the team the best chance of succeeding.

It's definitely not too early to be worried - goodness knows, I am - but the start of the season has shown that playing two slow, defensively poor 10s together doesn't work for this squad.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Calendar on 16:51 - Oct 6 with 1354 viewsLblock

Calendar on 14:12 - Oct 6 by R_from_afar

"Anderson, Madson, Celar, Santos, Varane were a waste of money".

Look, we have been poor this season so far but you're really not giving these players much of a chance.

If we had given Frey - our best attacking player so far this season - so little time, he wouldn't be at QPR any more.

I’d agree but…… I never rated Anderson as much as most did last season.
He looked brittle, never had pace but his passing and dead ball delivery was quality and we were in such a state when he joined that it was a case of the man with two hairs in the land of the bald.

Really sad to say it but Celar only has two more long run outs left in the credit book.
He looks somewhat bereft and might push his international team mate Melakar (so) for one of the worst I’ve seen lately in a hooped or golden shirt.

Madsen looks a luxury but might be better with only him in the team instead him and Anderson which patently does not work. I’m hoping this doesn’t become a blind spot for Marti

Varane and Santos judgement reserved but of the two I’ve actually seen more in Santos which sort of goes against the grain of most on this here board.

Anyway…. Seems the consensus is to circle the date we play Pompey

Calendar on 10:59 - Oct 7 with 1081 viewsTheChef

Calendar on 15:13 - Oct 6 by andrew1302

Funny how you get these posters on the forum who only appear when we're doing badly.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Calendar on 11:43 - Oct 7 with 1031 viewsRangersDave

1/5th of the season gone, amd we are almost adrift within the bottom 3 strugglers.

I say almost as i sincerely hope, as do the rest of us , i'm sure, that Marti will pull this round.

However,if we dont we will struggle.

Remember, having the 1/5th now behind us, and being xxx amount of points behind others, we have to make that defecit up, before pushing on. I'm afraid now that the season is about survival, not pushing on and trying for upper championship.

I'm also not sure that Marti will last to Christmas day, on these performances.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Calendar on 12:02 - Oct 7 with 1011 viewsPindarus

Ainsworth wasn't sacked until October 28, when we were 23rd.

At least Marti doesn't look as ill or as haunted as Ainsworth did, although his brow is a bit furrowed.

I have to ask how much say Marti had in the signings we have made, as with the exception of Nardi, I don't think anybody is playing to the standard we would like.

Also Paal and Field have both retrogressed. Why?
Calendar on 12:14 - Oct 7 with 988 viewsandrew1302

I think i have put on circa 200 posts in the last couple of years both good and bad so i am not just appearing....
Calendar on 12:18 - Oct 7 with 975 viewsTheChef

Calendar on 12:02 - Oct 7 by Pindarus

Ainsworth wasn't sacked until October 28, when we were 23rd.

At least Marti doesn't look as ill or as haunted as Ainsworth did, although his brow is a bit furrowed.

I have to ask how much say Marti had in the signings we have made, as with the exception of Nardi, I don't think anybody is playing to the standard we would like.

Also Paal and Field have both retrogressed. Why?

Hmm well you say that...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Calendar on 12:21 - Oct 7 with 953 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

The worrying thing for me is we seem to have gone back to that horrible, grueling, slow build up with the ball, playing in front of 11 players that we've allowed to get into their desired shape. We so often slow the game down when the GK has it rather than quickly getting the ball ahead of opposition's committed attackers.

Saito and Dembele almost always have the balled played to their feet, often with their backs to goal. We need to get the ball ahead of these players to get them sprinting at defences.

This feels like it's been a problem with little let up for years. Literally. It was a plague that seemed to settle in during Warburton's last six months and we've really struggled to change it outside of a few brighter spots of form across several different managers. Given the starting XI bears almost no resemblance to when it started I can't figure out why it's still happening. It can't be by design surely?

We have pace in the team now and an abundance of ball players... In fact that's about all we have. So why do we always seem to be so slow, deliberate and risk averse when it comes to moving the ball forward? The only thing I can put it down to is confidence. Ironically teams this season have found it devastatingly easy to attack us in ways we're incapable of attacking them. There's always space, they're always running at us, we're always back pedalling. I'm so sick of it, it's awful and so frustrating to watch.
Calendar on 17:21 - Oct 19 with 321 viewsLblock

Calendar on 07:50 - Oct 6 by Hunterhoop

I definitely wouldn’t suggest sacking anyone now/yet. It is too early to judge Belk’s signings in the round, although they don’t look too promising (Nardi apart), and clearly Cifuentes did an excellent job last year so I am sure he can fix it by being pragmatic and compromising on his footballing beliefs a little. If he doesn’t, I think this squad will go down trying to play this way.

In answer to your question, LBlock, it’s Saturday 19th October. Will be the 10th game. Will come after a two week block on the training ground with no matches to get this right. JCS should be back, and hopefully Colback. Chair should be fit and ready too. And we’re playing Portsmouth at home. One of only two sides below us.

If we can’t beat them and the team still hasn’t gelled then we have big problems. Even a draw if we play well and are unlucky is okay. We have to show something. Our next 6 fixture are:

Portsmouth (H)
Coventry (H)
Burnley (A)
Sunderland (H)
Middlesbrough (H)
Leeds (A)

After Portsmouth that is a very hard run of fixtures. Equally, only 2 away games out of 6. If we haven’t gelled by the Portsmouth game we could very conceivably not win any of those. If that were to happen, and we comfortably lose 2-3 more home games, the crowd will have turned, I think.

For his sake, our sake, and the club’s sake, he has to show some pragmatism again. Put Field, Colback and one of Varane, EBD, Madsen, Andersen (one only!) in the middle. Stick Dunne back at RB (if it means playing Fox a CB because JCS isn’t fit yet, so be it). Dembele on one side, Chair on the other. Frey up top. That side should beat Portsmouth. And don’t be afraid to knock it long and mix up this playing out. Make teams work hard to score against us.

So……..

Anyone know where the panic button is stored these days?

No point sacking Marti, and I’m not suggesting that, but this is surely a worse start than under Gareth last season? I just don’t see anyone turning this lot around…. Pep would walk away

We’ve spunked a huge amount of our budget on Madsen and, at the moment, he has to be up there with the worst signings we’ve ever made pound for pound. There’s just nothing about the geezer at all and it’s an amazing feat that at 6ft 4 he can be so anonymous…. I noticed an ex player on Pompeys bench more than him
He sums us up - physically weak, thick, no pace and scared witless or just couldn’t care less

Circling the drain for half a decade….. is that the flush I hear?

19th October and we’re bottom showing no signs of improvement

Oh dear

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024