Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Improved train service for the Cardiff area 06:26 - May 31 with 4365 viewsWhiterockin

Meanwhile in the west nothing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c888j7722q6o

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 19:14 - Jun 7 with 696 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 12:40 - Jun 1 by controversial_jack

The system is already in Place, it's not being used as it's infrequent. A relative has to get from Baglan to Swansea for work. He can get the early train to work, but has to get a lift home , because the train doesn't go until 6pm

I've used that line in recent weeks, there is a train at 1705 and 1745!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 19:28 - Jun 7 with 683 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 18:30 - Jun 7 by Dr_Winston

Yep. Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester makes Swansea High St look like Monte Carlo. The area around Bristol main bus station is also grotty as hell.

Still, trolls gotta troll.

High Street station is a reasonably good station. I've been to some real stinkers in my time. I remember being stuck on Wigan station for an hour or so on a winter evening thinking what on earth am I doing here.
There's a whole load of awful stations around London, New Cross is probably the worst I've been to. I arranged to meet a friend there, when I got outside the station she said this is the closest you can get to a war zone in Britain!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 20:50 - Jun 7 with 645 viewsWhiterockin

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 19:28 - Jun 7 by JACKMANANDBOY

High Street station is a reasonably good station. I've been to some real stinkers in my time. I remember being stuck on Wigan station for an hour or so on a winter evening thinking what on earth am I doing here.
There's a whole load of awful stations around London, New Cross is probably the worst I've been to. I arranged to meet a friend there, when I got outside the station she said this is the closest you can get to a war zone in Britain!

I think contro is little traveled and has inferior knowledge of the outside world. Everytime he tries to be controversial he falls foul of someone with superior knowledge.

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 20:50 - Jun 7 with 640 viewscontroversial_jack

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 19:14 - Jun 7 by JACKMANANDBOY

I've used that line in recent weeks, there is a train at 1705 and 1745!

He can't get the 17.05 in time. Does it stop at Baglan?
Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 20:52 - Jun 7 with 637 viewscontroversial_jack

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 13:51 - Jun 7 by Boundy

You're not going to get it .

Oh dear, I won't sleep tonight
Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:05 - Jun 7 with 623 viewsWhiterockin

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 20:50 - Jun 7 by controversial_jack

He can't get the 17.05 in time. Does it stop at Baglan?

The 17.05 and the 17.47 stop at Baglan.

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:12 - Jun 7 with 598 viewsonehunglow

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 13:53 - Jun 7 by Whiterockin

You are trying to be controversial but you are just making yourself look silly.

Firstly the area around high street station is vastly improved on 18 months ago a bares no resemblance it is now more than acceptableand still improving.

You statement about tell you about a station area as bad as High St. I use public transport extensively and have been to dozens of stations in Wales and hundreds in the UK. In Wales Newport is not the best, stations in the Barry area are quite an eyesore and there are many on the valley lines the same. As for Scotland, Glasgow has some really run down areas around stations particularly on the outskirts, Edinburgh not so bad, but still one or two far worse than Swansea. Drop into England where do you start. Cities like Liverpool and the Mersey Line are full of dumps as there are in Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and many cities. London overground stations have many worse as well, as has Bristol. The list is endless.
[Post edited 7 Jun 13:54]

Merseyrail has one of the highest performance ratings in the country.
New trains too.
I use em and they’re fine .
Take dog on them
Guards. Are all very pleasant

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:19 - Jun 7 with 574 viewsWhiterockin

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:12 - Jun 7 by onehunglow

Merseyrail has one of the highest performance ratings in the country.
New trains too.
I use em and they’re fine .
Take dog on them
Guards. Are all very pleasant

This is all true mate and it's a fantastic service, but you have to admit some of the stations are far less appealing than Swansea High Street, particularly on the line going north from Liverpool.

Login to get fewer ads

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:20 - Jun 7 with 568 viewscontroversial_jack

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:05 - Jun 7 by Whiterockin

The 17.05 and the 17.47 stop at Baglan.

Cheers. That must be the ond he gets.He doesn't get home in Sandfields till gone 6.

He got on the wrong train once and I had to drive to Gowerton to get him
Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:24 - Jun 7 with 555 viewsWhiterockin

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:20 - Jun 7 by controversial_jack

Cheers. That must be the ond he gets.He doesn't get home in Sandfields till gone 6.

He got on the wrong train once and I had to drive to Gowerton to get him

There is a big difference of no train until 6 and not getting home until 6. If you look back on the thread I said an hourly train would be a good start and it would, fill that then increase the the timings.

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:25 - Jun 7 with 541 viewsonehunglow

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:19 - Jun 7 by Whiterockin

This is all true mate and it's a fantastic service, but you have to admit some of the stations are far less appealing than Swansea High Street, particularly on the line going north from Liverpool.

True.
I don’t go north of Liverpool so you’d be referring to the likes of Bootle,a dock area.
Industrial areas aren’t pretty
Anywhere

The dirt and grime gave livings to many

I don’t like to see industrial “ working class” towns slaggingveach other off,when it’s the system that is responsible for the industrial decline

Last time I was in Swansea for a game,it was passing down and the drive past Dyfatty wasn’t exactly Piccadilly Gardens but not very edifying

Working class squabble and the wealthy benefit

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:32 - Jun 7 with 524 viewsWhiterockin

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:25 - Jun 7 by onehunglow

True.
I don’t go north of Liverpool so you’d be referring to the likes of Bootle,a dock area.
Industrial areas aren’t pretty
Anywhere

The dirt and grime gave livings to many

I don’t like to see industrial “ working class” towns slaggingveach other off,when it’s the system that is responsible for the industrial decline

Last time I was in Swansea for a game,it was passing down and the drive past Dyfatty wasn’t exactly Piccadilly Gardens but not very edifying

Working class squabble and the wealthy benefit

Agreed mate. The line up to Southport I find fascinating, the old tea warehouses and the old dock buildings are fascinating real history in front of your eyes, but get of at a station and it makes high St look like the ritz.

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:40 - Jun 7 with 496 viewscontroversial_jack

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:32 - Jun 7 by Whiterockin

Agreed mate. The line up to Southport I find fascinating, the old tea warehouses and the old dock buildings are fascinating real history in front of your eyes, but get of at a station and it makes high St look like the ritz.

Newcastle seems to have a very good metro service too
Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:48 - Jun 7 with 485 viewsWhiterockin

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 21:40 - Jun 7 by controversial_jack

Newcastle seems to have a very good metro service too

As do many city's with a far better infrastructure than West Wales and far cheaper to commute. If the Senedd want the people on public transport they need to provide a service at a reasonable cost. That's back to the original point.
[Post edited 7 Jun 22:11]

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 22:14 - Jun 7 with 451 viewshowenjack

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 19:28 - Jun 7 by JACKMANANDBOY

Forgive me if I am wrong but I think Wigan railway station is where Simon and Garfunkel wrote homeward bound
Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 22:29 - Jun 7 with 431 viewsWhiterockin

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 22:14 - Jun 7 by howenjack

Forgive me if I am wrong but I think Wigan railway station is where Simon and Garfunkel wrote homeward bound

Only Paul Simon, obviously that was for a reason. Listen to the lyrics.

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 23:11 - Jun 7 with 399 viewsmajorraglan

A lot of deprived communities in the South Wales valleys are going to benefit from the metro which will enable people to commute in to Cardiff etc for work and it will hopefully see increased opportunities and prosperity in the valleys.
That said, the WG need to do more in South West Wales, we need a better integrated transport service, open up Cockett and Landore stations for starters, I’d love to see a monorail running between the Amazon/old Ford plant/ Bay campus and Mumbles.
Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 23:12 - Jun 7 with 397 viewsonehunglow

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 22:14 - Jun 7 by howenjack

It was on Widnes station

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 23:15 - Jun 7 with 396 viewshowenjack

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 23:12 - Jun 7 by onehunglow

It was on Widnes station

I knew it was either Wigan or Widnes . Widnes it was then.
Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 23:17 - Jun 7 with 393 viewsonehunglow

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 23:15 - Jun 7 by howenjack

I knew it was either Wigan or Widnes . Widnes it was then.

Yes it was matey and Widnes is exactly like port talbot or baglan

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 08:54 - Jun 8 with 339 viewsBoundy

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 23:11 - Jun 7 by majorraglan

A lot of deprived communities in the South Wales valleys are going to benefit from the metro which will enable people to commute in to Cardiff etc for work and it will hopefully see increased opportunities and prosperity in the valleys.
That said, the WG need to do more in South West Wales, we need a better integrated transport service, open up Cockett and Landore stations for starters, I’d love to see a monorail running between the Amazon/old Ford plant/ Bay campus and Mumbles.

Therein is the problem of why s Wales will only ever prosper in one area the s East, creating the wealth in one are by creating the jobs there and in doing so allows Cardiff to grow even bigger whilst the rest stagnate. Over 80% of new jobs created in s Wales is in Cardiff , what a statistic .
The exodus to Cardiff each working day from Swansea and its environs is palpable and because of this and in doing so is denying the city's growth. Why not create the work where people live instead of expecting them to travel at least 2.5/3 hours a day from say Bryncethin ( as its stands atm ).
The best we can hope for is a mono rail to Amazon Warehouse and the University ( of which the students are more that adequately served .)
More should be done for s West Wales instead of this drive to making Cardiff bigger .IMO of course.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 09:52 - Jun 8 with 313 viewsonehunglow

Next time you're up here, let me know ffs
I ll buy you luncheon

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 11:50 - Jun 8 with 267 viewshowenjack

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 23:17 - Jun 7 by onehunglow

Yes it was matey and Widnes is exactly like port talbot or baglan

Talking of that part of the world and especially as it's 80 th D Day anniversary just gone The largest American airforce base in Europe between 1942 and 58 was at Burtonwood near Warrington between Liverpool and Manchester . They serviced the B17's and other aircraft there . Warrington at that time apparently was an American town in all but name.

quote-BASE HISTORY
RAF Burtonwood was the largest military airbase in the UK during World War Two and was responsible for the handling of over 15,000 aircraft of the United States 8th 9th 12th and 15th Air Forces, covering the geographical are of the UK, Europe, Mediterranean and the Middle East. In addition to the 18,500 US servicemen and women base at Burtonwood, it was also responsible for another 30 bases in the UK and probably over 50,000 personnel in all.

Built as an RAF Base, Burtonwood opened in April 1940 jut in time to supply Spitfires to the Battle of Britain. Simultaneously a Civilian Aircraft Factory, known as Burtonwood Repair Depot, was developed, with them both using the same airfield. The RAF gave up the base to the Americans in 1942, but took it back after the war in 1946. In fact, Burtonwood was the last American base in the UK to be handed back to the RAF. After two years acting as a storage depot for surplus RAF aircraft, it was passed back to the Americans in 1948, to support the US strategic bombers stationed in the UK. It housed and overhauled US aircraft taking part in the Berlin Air Lift.

American Operational Flying ceased in 1959, although the RAF used Burtonwood as a V Bomber scatter airfield until 1966. The base was taken over by the US Army in 1967 as a storage base for war supplies in case war broke out in Europe. It remained this way until 1993 when the end of the Cold War heralded the end of the necessary deterrent. The US Army 47th Area Support Group supplied subsequent operations including relief, food and materials for the conflicts in Europe.
There is a visitor centre there open from 2,30 to 5 Wed to Sunday , I might well pay a visit there one day to have a look .
Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 13:50 - Jun 8 with 245 viewsonehunglow

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 11:50 - Jun 8 by howenjack

Talking of that part of the world and especially as it's 80 th D Day anniversary just gone The largest American airforce base in Europe between 1942 and 58 was at Burtonwood near Warrington between Liverpool and Manchester . They serviced the B17's and other aircraft there . Warrington at that time apparently was an American town in all but name.

quote-BASE HISTORY
RAF Burtonwood was the largest military airbase in the UK during World War Two and was responsible for the handling of over 15,000 aircraft of the United States 8th 9th 12th and 15th Air Forces, covering the geographical are of the UK, Europe, Mediterranean and the Middle East. In addition to the 18,500 US servicemen and women base at Burtonwood, it was also responsible for another 30 bases in the UK and probably over 50,000 personnel in all.

Built as an RAF Base, Burtonwood opened in April 1940 jut in time to supply Spitfires to the Battle of Britain. Simultaneously a Civilian Aircraft Factory, known as Burtonwood Repair Depot, was developed, with them both using the same airfield. The RAF gave up the base to the Americans in 1942, but took it back after the war in 1946. In fact, Burtonwood was the last American base in the UK to be handed back to the RAF. After two years acting as a storage depot for surplus RAF aircraft, it was passed back to the Americans in 1948, to support the US strategic bombers stationed in the UK. It housed and overhauled US aircraft taking part in the Berlin Air Lift.

American Operational Flying ceased in 1959, although the RAF used Burtonwood as a V Bomber scatter airfield until 1966. The base was taken over by the US Army in 1967 as a storage base for war supplies in case war broke out in Europe. It remained this way until 1993 when the end of the Cold War heralded the end of the necessary deterrent. The US Army 47th Area Support Group supplied subsequent operations including relief, food and materials for the conflicts in Europe.
There is a visitor centre there open from 2,30 to 5 Wed to Sunday , I might well pay a visit there one day to have a look .

Merseyside Police used Burtonwood as a Public Training Centre .
Keith will be aware of the “ angry man “ scenarios played out
Happy days there

Now Burtonwood is a huge retail are

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 14:04 - Jun 8 with 239 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Improved train service for the Cardiff area on 07:56 - Jun 7 by AnotherJohn

The discussion got me thinking about what improved rail infrastructure in the Swansea area might mean. Back in 2017 the Welsh Government hinted at possible reopening of the stations at Landore (Morfa) and Cockett. I suppose that has gone on the backburner now?

Yes correct the Welsh government and Tfw are not interested in any investment outside Cardiff. New Station around Swansea should be a priority and a half hourly service to all stations like Llansamlet, Skewen, Briton Ferry, Baglan and Pyle would ease road congestion.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024