Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stoke Match Thread 01:36 - Dec 15 with 24344 viewsnumptydumpty

insomnia has struck but its for the good of all

I certain i be good omen for match thread op...
First win of many with myself starting match threads..

My head says we will lose 1-0.

But seen as I started this particular thread 3-1 to the hoops. Dykes (Pen), Carroll and BOS

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Stoke Match Thread on 21:07 - Dec 15 with 1532 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Stoke Match Thread on 19:37 - Dec 15 by MickS

We had some more than welcome good luck tonight - the pinball onto the bar and the Stoke header that should have been scored. And Stroud had a decent game.( sorry)

I only saw the second half but Stroud missed a few things IMO.Cousins had his arm around Willocks neck that easily could have been a penalty .Fletcher should have seen yellow and got a sneaky hit in later on too it looked like .Willock got hit in the face in the dying moments which could have been yellow too .Not going to change the outcome but that penalty shout was critical.
Stoke Match Thread on 21:17 - Dec 15 with 1488 viewsdannyblue

As others have said: Chair was excellent, Dickie and Dieng good. Good clean sheet. That's about it really.
Stoke Match Thread on 21:24 - Dec 15 with 1465 viewsMickS

Stoke Match Thread on 21:07 - Dec 15 by CLAREMAN1995

I only saw the second half but Stroud missed a few things IMO.Cousins had his arm around Willocks neck that easily could have been a penalty .Fletcher should have seen yellow and got a sneaky hit in later on too it looked like .Willock got hit in the face in the dying moments which could have been yellow too .Not going to change the outcome but that penalty shout was critical.

Agreed mate, but he didn’t kill us tonight which is a major big one.
Stoke Match Thread on 21:53 - Dec 15 with 1369 viewsdavman

Stoke Match Thread on 19:26 - Dec 15 by Silverfoxqpr

Agreed. Some of the negativity on this thread is frightening. Didn't think we played that badly at all.

Agreed, but that performance and that score if we have just 6 more points on the board would be well received. The fact is we have just had one point from three home games and one win in five at home, which makes the performance secondary to the result.

Be honest, I am bricking it this season - playing well with no goal threat and losing is a recipe for relegation.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Stoke Match Thread on 21:54 - Dec 15 with 1367 viewsjoe90

Not much to say. A point and a clean sheet will do. Let's hope we get a win and another clean sheet on Saturday. BIG game for us.
Stoke Match Thread on 22:03 - Dec 15 with 1321 viewsHunterhoop

Went again today.

I thought that was very thin gruel, and the second half one of our worst, as a footballing side, under MW. I want to be balanced but I think we’re heading on the wrong direction.

Positives:
Watching both games live, Dickie does look the real deal. Strong, good in the air and a FAR better passer than Barbet too.
Dieng: by miles our loudest player. His starting position is so aggressive it allows out slow back 4 to play higher. Commands his box. Looks physical and intimidating.
Chair: tidy and the only class player on the pitch.
Defence: apart from a mad 10 min spell at the start of the second half, much more organised.

Concerns (in order)
Geoff Cameron. Oh, Geoff...Two games live now and in the flesh he’s worse. He’s gone at the game. He barely gets near the ball when the oppo have it; whatever pace he had over the first few yards and on the turn has evaporated; in possession he is literally a waste of a player. On numerous occasions it was obvious his colleagues didn’t want to go near him, let alone through him! And you can see why: his passing is shambolic. It simply isn’t up to a professional standard. He’s gone.

The second half start and Warburton: The first 15 of the first half we were excellent, in fairness. Bright, lively, should have scored. Rest of the half was fairly even but you felt if we could improve slightly and just improve our execution slightly, we’d win. And then we came out for the second half. The first 10, until he brought on Ball and Willock was unprofessional and a utter mess. We were completely at sea. Stoke could have easily scored 2 and then it would be another loss. I’ve no idea what Warburton says to them at half time, but this slow start every bloody game has to stop. It’s been a running theme the whole season! We went from an organised, but ordinary side at this level to looking like we were a semi pro outfit who hasn’t met. Any semblance of shape, structure, basic touch and pass, be basic clearances went out the window. He’s got to get a hold of this. It’s unacceptable to happen almost every game.

Dykes: I actually thought he battled manfully and put a shift in, but he was isolated and so many of the balls up to him were long straight high balls with up against some Stoke giant. I still thought he led the line well, he just desperately needs a goal. Obviously he should bury that chance in the first half, but I still think BOS and Chair don’t give him enough of the right service: early balls in between the keeper and defence. They want to cut inside or get to the byline and pull it back. And I still don’t think they like/rate him.

Our full backs aren’t great but they are trying. I think Niko has potential. I’m not digging them out. Although if Todd Kane could practice his crossing, that would be nice. Ta.

BOS: Disinterested and no interest in getting back in position when they had it. Left Kane doubled up on a couple of occasions. Didn’t go at his man much. And that shot was a terrible decision, if he’d just slid it across the box it was a tap in for Dykes or an OG.

Willock: I like him. He cares. He’s decent. But, at this level, in this league he needs to bulk up a little and improve his core strength. Two or three times a little nudge or arm on him caused him to lose balance and not get his cross right...but they weren’t big enough to draw a foul.

Adomah: didn’t look match sharp. Less so than when he joined! Just slightly off and it wasn’t happening for him. I’m worried that’s down to MW’s use of him (or lack of).

Our shape in the second half (or lack of). I’m not really sure what was going on. Contrary to popular belief, I think we set up 442 in the first half with Chair off Dykes and given free reign. It’s not massively different to a 4231, but it looked more 442.

In the second half, after the subs, Chair seemed to go left, but then wander inside and deep (to get the ball). Willock set up central initially, in more of a 4231, but with Chair left and Dykes isolated. But then Willock went left, but also narrow. And BOS went narrow too. And we seemed to end up playing a strange 424, but narrow and man to man with their back 4 save for Chair who seemed to have a free role.

But ultimately it didn’t look right or familiar to the players, and with just Geoff and Ball in the middle we couldn’t pass out and through the midfield. Instead the back 4 resorted to channeling it or going long. Against Stoke. Odd. I think Cameron is hampering us.

Bonne - stop being offside man!

Finally, to end on a positive note. Today is the first time the ball has ever come to me in the crowd! I was the bloke who headed it back onto the pitch mid way through the first half from the SAR stand near the box.
Stoke Match Thread on 22:05 - Dec 15 with 1322 viewsjohncharles

Lyndon Dykes is the new Zamora. For the the “supporters” who did nothing slag him off, all fkin season and left Wembley singing “Oh Bobby Zamora”

Strong and stable my arse.

Stoke Match Thread on 22:28 - Dec 15 with 1255 viewsmarkrtid

Im all set and ready.
Oh!
The game has already ended?
What time was kickoff?
Really?
F'koff!
Login to get fewer ads

Stoke Match Thread on 22:30 - Dec 15 with 1244 viewspaulparker

Stoke Match Thread on 22:03 - Dec 15 by Hunterhoop

Went again today.

I thought that was very thin gruel, and the second half one of our worst, as a footballing side, under MW. I want to be balanced but I think we’re heading on the wrong direction.

Positives:
Watching both games live, Dickie does look the real deal. Strong, good in the air and a FAR better passer than Barbet too.
Dieng: by miles our loudest player. His starting position is so aggressive it allows out slow back 4 to play higher. Commands his box. Looks physical and intimidating.
Defence: apart from a mad 10 min spell at the start of the second half, much more organised.

Concerns (in order)
Geoff Cameron. Oh, Geoff...Two games live now and in the flesh he’s worse. He’s gone at the game. He barely gets near the ball when the oppo have it; whatever pace he had over the first few yards and on the turn has evaporated; in possession he is literally a waste of a player. On numerous occasions it was obvious his colleagues didn’t want to go near him, let alone through him! And you can see why: his passing is shambolic. It simply isn’t up to a professional standard. He’s gone.

The second half start and Warburton: The first 15 of the first half we were excellent, in fairness. Bright, lively, should have scored. Rest of the half was fairly even but you felt if we could improve slightly and just improve our execution slightly, we’d win. And then we came out for the second half. The first 10, until he brought on Ball and Willock was unprofessional and a utter mess. We were completely at sea. Stoke could have easily scored 2 and then it would be another loss. I’ve no idea what Warburton says to them at half time, but this slow start every bloody game has to stop. It’s been a running theme the whole season! We went from an organised, but ordinary side at this level to looking like we were a semi pro outfit who hasn’t met. Any semblance of shape, structure, basic touch and pass, be basic clearances went out the window. He’s got to get a hold of this. It’s unacceptable to happen almost every game.

Dykes: I actually thought he battled manfully and put a shift in, but he was isolated and so many of the balls up to him were long straight high balls with up against some Stoke giant. I still thought he led the line well, he just desperately needs a goal. Obviously he should bury that chance in the first half, but I still think BOS and Chair don’t give him enough of the right service: early balls in between the keeper and defence. They want to cut inside or get to the byline and pull it back. And I still don’t think they like/rate him.

Our full backs aren’t great but they are trying. I think Niko has potential. I’m not digging them out. Although if Todd Kane could practice his crossing, that would be nice. Ta.

BOS: Disinterested and no interest in getting back in position when they had it. Left Kane doubled up on a couple of occasions. Didn’t go at his man much. And that shot was a terrible decision, if he’d just slid it across the box it was a tap in for Dykes or an OG.

Willock: I like him. He cares. He’s decent. But, at this level, in this league he needs to bulk up a little and improve his core strength. Two or three times a little nudge or arm on him caused him to lose balance and not get his cross right...but they weren’t big enough to draw a foul.

Adomah: didn’t look match sharp. Less so than when he joined! Just slightly off and it wasn’t happening for him. I’m worried that’s down to MW’s use of him (or lack of).

Our shape in the second half (or lack of). I’m not really sure what was going on. Contrary to popular belief, I think we set up 442 in the first half with Chair off Dykes and given free reign. It’s not massively different to a 4231, but it looked more 442.

In the second half, after the subs, Chair seemed to go left, but then wander inside and deep (to get the ball). Willock set up central initially, in more of a 4231, but with Chair left and Dykes isolated. But then Willock went left, but also narrow. And BOS went narrow too. And we seemed to end up playing a strange 424, but narrow and man to man with their back 4 save for Chair who seemed to have a free role.

But ultimately it didn’t look right or familiar to the players, and with just Geoff and Ball in the middle we couldn’t pass out and through the midfield. Instead the back 4 resorted to channeling it or going long. Against Stoke. Odd. I think Cameron is hampering us.

Finally, to end on a positive note. Today is the first time the ball has ever come to me in the crowd! I was the bloke who headed it back onto the pitch mid way through the first half from the SAR stand near the box.

Very impressive header can you play on Saturday ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Stoke Match Thread on 23:27 - Dec 15 with 1156 viewsNortholt_Rs

Stoke Match Thread on 19:36 - Dec 15 by paulparker

A point and a clean sheet but boy do we need a win

Agreed....we absolutely could not afford to lose tonight so I will take the point all day long. Next game is massive for us but I cannot see where our goals will come from.... that frontline is toothless. BOS phoning it in ain’t helping either....

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Stoke Match Thread on 23:35 - Dec 15 with 1130 viewsDevon_4_England

Went again today.

Positives:

Concerns (in order)

I heard you got a 7 in the match ratings Hunter. Nice header. Highlight of the 1st half.
Stoke Match Thread on 12:59 - Dec 16 with 953 viewsR_from_afar

Went again today.

Positives:

Concerns (in order)

I mostly agree with you but when you say this "Obviously he should bury that chance in the first half," are you referring to the chance when the 'keeper comes sliding out and nearly crashes into him and the defender gets a tiny touch on the ball? I honestly feel that was a good chance but not a sitter; I regard sitters as chances where the goal is gaping with nothing between the player and it.

I only saw the last quarter of the game live, the rest I followed - nervously - on Radio London. Re. Cameron, the radio pundits actually singled him out as having had a good first half.

That said, we urgently need to find an additional player who can effectively screen the defence, whether that player needs to be brought in or is already in the squad, because Cameron can't play every game. Age, fitness, form and suspension will dictate that. Surely a defender could fill in there? Or is that sorcery?

It's all opinions though, so hey ho.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Stoke Match Thread on 13:14 - Dec 16 with 930 viewsMick_S

And you got a chorus of "sign him up."

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Stoke Match Thread on 13:25 - Dec 16 with 908 viewsPastCaringNW2

Reminded me of the early days of the Rob Steiner "era". Lots of endeavour with the CF leading by example though to not a lot of effect. Some glaring weak spots that the squad can't compensate for and a chronic fear of falling behind. So lots of draws and one goal defeats ahoy. Not a lot of wins but enough. Just.
Stoke Match Thread on 13:25 - Dec 16 with 904 viewsPinnerPaul

Stoke Match Thread on 19:35 - Dec 15 by Greenbay

Love Chair's post match interview. He is so positive.
Nice kid.

I thought he had fallen out with half the team and didn't like the manager?
Stoke Match Thread on 13:29 - Dec 16 with 890 viewsPinnerPaul

Stoke Match Thread on 20:51 - Dec 15 by Myke

A poor game, but some of the negativity on here and elsewhere is disappointing. What part of SUPPORTers do we not get? As pointed out here also, it is clear that the players are all working very hard for Warburton too, so no question he has 'lost the dressing room'
He has also (rightly) been criticised for some of his substitutions in recent games, but tonight I felt his changes wrestled control back from Stoke, after they had dominated the opening period of the second half. Carroll has been immense in recent games but it wasn't happening for him tonight and it was right to take him off ( not that it stopped the Sky commentators for crediting him with several passes after he had gone). Ball stiffened things up in the centre and got us on the front foot again.
Adomah, after a lively start, faded and again it was the right decision, although I was disappointed with Willock's contribution and his wild shot - with BOS free to his right - rather summed him up.
Cameron has been much maligned in recent games, but thought he was decent tonight. Some of his short passing was poor but conversely some of his long range deliveries - including the ball of the match to Chair from the edge of his own box - provided some of the rare moments of quality in the game
Poor Dykes can't buy a goal at the minute and cut a frustrated figure throughout. I actually thought he was a little lucky to stay on the pitch as he made not one, but two very late aerial lunges - fortunately for him (and us) the ref seemed more amused than annoyed with his actions.
Dickie was very good but Fletcher outsmarted him physically when he came on - he needs to be a bit cuter, which I am sure will come with experience.
Chair was absolutely immense - nothing more to say
Niko was solid enough defensively tonight, but disappointed with him going forward. I know Kane put some crosses straight down the keeper's throat, but at least he crossed the damn thing. At one time Chair was surrounded by players in the centre and was looking for an 'out ball' to the left, but there was nobody available. It made me think of a certain Irishman...
Anyway, a clean sheet and Dieng deserves that for his displays this season. Onto Wycombe. We, know the personnel, we know the formation, we know the style, we know the management, so lets stop bemoaning the fact that there is no magical change in any of these and get fully behind them.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 20:58]

What an excellent post that is!
Stoke Match Thread on 14:39 - Dec 16 with 823 viewsnix

Agree with pretty much all of it Hunter. Would say that Willock was absolutely furious with himself when he got pushed off the ball, so he certainly cares. I think BOS was a bit slight in his first season here and got much harder to push off the ball last season so it's something the coaching/fitness team can work on. I completely agree about DCM, it's a real priority in January. I'd like to see Bettache have a try there. Surely he can't be any worse, and he'd at least be able to track people and close down space.
Stoke Match Thread on 14:42 - Dec 16 with 820 viewsTheChef

Stoke Match Thread on 14:39 - Dec 16 by nix

Agree with pretty much all of it Hunter. Would say that Willock was absolutely furious with himself when he got pushed off the ball, so he certainly cares. I think BOS was a bit slight in his first season here and got much harder to push off the ball last season so it's something the coaching/fitness team can work on. I completely agree about DCM, it's a real priority in January. I'd like to see Bettache have a try there. Surely he can't be any worse, and he'd at least be able to track people and close down space.

Yes, Bettache needs a go as well. Like you say you'd hope he can't do any worse.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024