Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation 16:15 - Oct 5 with 1068 viewsSeaside_Lee

I shall ask you guys this question as I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on this

(Rivalries and history aside)

What do you guys think about Boltons situation and Monday nights game?

I think that the EFL were soft and have created a difficult situation that could pan out dreadfully as the season goes on.

IMHO when both Bury & Bolton couldn't start the season they should both have been suspended for 1 year and relegated with no further points deduction for next season

Both teams should then have been given 1 year to sort their financial situations out. If at the start of next season they still hadn't found a solution to start then they should have been expelled

To me the situation is now very unfair clubs like Ipswich having an easy 3 points and 5-0 win against kids and now the rest of the league having to play a much stronger team.

A potential scenario could be we draw on Monday or lose. If we were to draw and finish 1 point behind Ipswich and miss out on automatic promotion how might that pan out?

Also Bolton signed 9 players on transfer deadline day. How did they manage to do that? Are these players any good? Do we know? What sort of players would sign for a team so far behind with a points deduction no wins and massive - goal difference! it's hard enough to sign players when you are near the top? Will these 9 players all stay fit for the whole season? Not pick up any suspensions?

Just interested in your thoughts on the situation? There are bound to be some differing opinions.
What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 17:02 - Oct 5 with 1064 viewsLala

I tend to agree with most of that Lee. It doesn’t seem fair on Bury and as you say it’s definitely not all things equal for those left to play Bolton now.

As an aside I would imagine, or hope we’ll take a big crowd Monday with the potential for a great atmosphere if we get our act together.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 17:13 - Oct 5 with 1062 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 17:02 - Oct 5 by Lala

I tend to agree with most of that Lee. It doesn’t seem fair on Bury and as you say it’s definitely not all things equal for those left to play Bolton now.

As an aside I would imagine, or hope we’ll take a big crowd Monday with the potential for a great atmosphere if we get our act together.

My thoughts will appear in the fanzine next week.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 17:20 - Oct 5 with 1058 viewsjanegallagher

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 17:13 - Oct 5 by basilrobbiereborn

My thoughts will appear in the fanzine next week.

If we or any other team miss out in the playoffs or automatic by a few points to a team that played them early in the season, how the hell can it be viewed as fair.

We’ve got Simon Sadler

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 17:26 - Oct 5 with 1053 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

I think Bolton are still in trouble, and for it to all unravel in the next 18 months or so.

Bolton & Bury should have been suspended from the league and both relegated. Both clubs then should have been given a final deadline of say June 1st 2020 to prove they were in a fit and proper state to fulfil next seasons fixtures in Div 2, if not then expel them.

Anyone actually actually know what's happening with the charges about Bolton not fulfilling fixtures (twice in a few months)? gone quiet on that.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 17:28 - Oct 5 with 1052 viewstodayistheday

Given too many deadlines,should be another Bury. Macc wont be given the same chances.
Cant pay,take it away,should be the only solution.
What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 18:12 - Oct 5 with 1041 viewsspudgun

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 17:28 - Oct 5 by todayistheday

Given too many deadlines,should be another Bury. Macc wont be given the same chances.
Cant pay,take it away,should be the only solution.

Random thoughts.

Yep, it is a mess, and no, it is not fair; but I don`t like to see any club go out of business.

Recently I was moved by reading of the plight of Gloucester City, whose ground was flooded many years ago and they have lead a nomadic existence since, ground-sharing with all and sundry. They perhaps should have given up many years ago but they have managed to keep going in spite of overwhelming odds. Football in the community is a special and resilient thing.

I have spent a lot of time at non league games this season (young spud is playing semi-pro) and have reconnected with grass roots football - which I haven`t really watched since I finished playing over 20 years ago.

Having watched games all over the north west I now have a greater empathy with the fans who support rag taggle clubs and a new found respect for them.

It makes me smile when I see fifty-odd year old blokes in Marine FC away shirts or Witton Albion home kits. Every credit to them.

I don`t claim to know all the ins and outs of the Bury/Bolton business (and I do hope the EFL wake up and regulate more proactively) but I do not wish to see any club go under if it can be avoided.

Even Bolton Wanderers!
[Post edited 5 Oct 2019 18:27]
What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 18:24 - Oct 5 with 1036 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 18:12 - Oct 5 by spudgun

Random thoughts.

Yep, it is a mess, and no, it is not fair; but I don`t like to see any club go out of business.

Recently I was moved by reading of the plight of Gloucester City, whose ground was flooded many years ago and they have lead a nomadic existence since, ground-sharing with all and sundry. They perhaps should have given up many years ago but they have managed to keep going in spite of overwhelming odds. Football in the community is a special and resilient thing.

I have spent a lot of time at non league games this season (young spud is playing semi-pro) and have reconnected with grass roots football - which I haven`t really watched since I finished playing over 20 years ago.

Having watched games all over the north west I now have a greater empathy with the fans who support rag taggle clubs and a new found respect for them.

It makes me smile when I see fifty-odd year old blokes in Marine FC away shirts or Witton Albion home kits. Every credit to them.

I don`t claim to know all the ins and outs of the Bury/Bolton business (and I do hope the EFL wake up and regulate more proactively) but I do not wish to see any club go under if it can be avoided.

Even Bolton Wanderers!

The problem with the EFL Spud is it's a self serving cartel, run for and by the owners. That will not change until there is independent regulator, with proper powers to enforce rules.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 18:25 - Oct 5 with 1035 viewsSeaside_Lee

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 18:12 - Oct 5 by spudgun

Random thoughts.

Even Bolton Wanderers!

I agree with you spudgun it's the true fans you feel sorry for. However, you cannot just keep buying players and paying wages you can't afford to just keep running up 100's of £millions of debt in the hope you get back in the Premiership.

I still think both Bury and Bolton should have been suspended and thus relegated before the season started and then given the time to get finances sorted in time to start with new owners and no debt next year.

If not? If they couldn't sort the mess then I'm afraid they should be expelled and maybe liquidated and then perhaps they should start again working their way back into the League.

Its not fair on the fans, it's very sad but is there any fairer way?
[Post edited 5 Oct 2019 18:26]
Login to get fewer ads

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 18:37 - Oct 5 with 1022 viewsspudgun

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 18:25 - Oct 5 by Seaside_Lee

I agree with you spudgun it's the true fans you feel sorry for. However, you cannot just keep buying players and paying wages you can't afford to just keep running up 100's of £millions of debt in the hope you get back in the Premiership.

I still think both Bury and Bolton should have been suspended and thus relegated before the season started and then given the time to get finances sorted in time to start with new owners and no debt next year.

If not? If they couldn't sort the mess then I'm afraid they should be expelled and maybe liquidated and then perhaps they should start again working their way back into the League.

Its not fair on the fans, it's very sad but is there any fairer way?
[Post edited 5 Oct 2019 18:26]

Yep, some sports bodies are less democratic than a middle-eastern caliphate - and football seems to be up there with the worst of them.

Agree with the `over-spending` argument, but have sympathy with the `shoe-string` clubs who just permanently bounce along the bottom surviving by the grace of God.

I really don`t have the knowledge to suggest what should have been done in the Bury/Bolton cases.

And yes Lee, it is the true fans who have my sympathy...
What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 18:59 - Oct 5 with 1018 viewsspell_chekker

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 18:37 - Oct 5 by spudgun

Yep, some sports bodies are less democratic than a middle-eastern caliphate - and football seems to be up there with the worst of them.

Agree with the `over-spending` argument, but have sympathy with the `shoe-string` clubs who just permanently bounce along the bottom surviving by the grace of God.

I really don`t have the knowledge to suggest what should have been done in the Bury/Bolton cases.

And yes Lee, it is the true fans who have my sympathy...

It's not on at all.

Playing games with the youth team.

Cancelling other matches.

Signing players and eventually getting up to speed.

It does make a mockery of L1.

The probleme was that there were 2 L1 teams in trouble. To lose them both would have made serious compromise of standards.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 23:55 - Oct 5 with 1003 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 18:59 - Oct 5 by spell_chekker

It's not on at all.

The probleme was that there were 2 L1 teams in trouble. To lose them both would have made serious compromise of standards.

Spud

This is why parents shouldn't go and watch their children at sports......

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 09:02 - Oct 6 with 985 viewsspudgun

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 23:55 - Oct 5 by BringBackTheRedRoom

Spud

This is why parents shouldn't go and watch their children at sports......

I`m probably more nervous than him Red...
What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 09:34 - Oct 6 with 978 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 18:59 - Oct 5 by spell_chekker

It's not on at all.

The trouble is chekks, that even losing one and keeping one has also seriously compromised standards.

I remain amazed that Bolton have - on two occasions, in different seasons - reneged on their obligation to fulfil a fixture and as yet have not been punished for either. Precedent suggests that they should have at least one further points deduction.

The team I feel most sorry for is Doncaster. They should have had the benefit of playing Bolton's kids, and were denied it because BWFC refused to play. If that costs them in May there will be hell to pay.

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 10:22 - Oct 6 with 971 viewsSeaside_Lee

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 09:34 - Oct 6 by basilrobbiereborn

The trouble is chekks, that even losing one and keeping one has also seriously compromised standards.

I remain amazed that Bolton have - on two occasions, in different seasons - reneged on their obligation to fulfil a fixture and as yet have not been punished for either. Precedent suggests that they should have at least one further points deduction.

The team I feel most sorry for is Doncaster. They should have had the benefit of playing Bolton's kids, and were denied it because BWFC refused to play. If that costs them in May there will be hell to pay.

Totally agree Robbie that's another good point! It really is a big mess

Thanks for the replies yesterday I've included them in my video discussing the fairness of the Bolton situation and the integrity of League 1 this season

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 10:48 - Oct 6 with 961 viewsLala

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 10:22 - Oct 6 by Seaside_Lee

Totally agree Robbie that's another good point! It really is a big mess

Thanks for the replies yesterday I've included them in my video discussing the fairness of the Bolton situation and the integrity of League 1 this season

Good stuff Lee, some interesting points raised by fans 👍

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 11:51 - Oct 6 with 953 viewsSeaside_Lee

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 10:48 - Oct 6 by Lala

Good stuff Lee, some interesting points raised by fans 👍

Thanks Lala

It's interesting to read the Bolton fans reply on the video don't know what you guys think of his reply?

He claims Bolton were only in £50M of debt? I was under the impression it was close to £250M

I am sure I read it somewhere? I definitely read the BBC article from 2016 which stated that Eddie Davies was trying to sell Bolton with £172M worth of debt! Anyone know how they managed to get it down to £50M
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 11:52]
What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 12:37 - Oct 6 with 941 viewsROTTWEILERS

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 11:51 - Oct 6 by Seaside_Lee

Thanks Lala

It's interesting to read the Bolton fans reply on the video don't know what you guys think of his reply?

He claims Bolton were only in £50M of debt? I was under the impression it was close to £250M

I am sure I read it somewhere? I definitely read the BBC article from 2016 which stated that Eddie Davies was trying to sell Bolton with £172M worth of debt! Anyone know how they managed to get it down to £50M
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 11:52]

"only" £50m

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 12:42 - Oct 6 with 934 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 12:37 - Oct 6 by ROTTWEILERS

"only" £50m

Eddie Davies wrote off £170m of debt shortly before he died. Then you have to add the debt racked up since, which they largely walked away from due to going into administration, and the £40m of new debt (if that is what it is, I'm not sure of its status) created by the people who own Football Ventures. Whatever figure you end up with, it's a lot closer to Lee's number than the £50m being claimed here.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 13:21]

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 12:48 - Oct 6 with 930 viewsROTTWEILERS

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 12:42 - Oct 6 by basilrobbiereborn

Eddie Davies wrote off £170m of debt shortly before he died. Then you have to add the debt racked up since, which they largely walked away from due to going into administration, and the £40m of new debt (if that is what it is, I'm not sure of its status) created by the people who own Football Ventures. Whatever figure you end up with, it's a lot closer to Lee's number than the £50m being claimed here.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2019 13:21]

They are a basket case and I'm glad the EFL appear to have spared them at Bury's expense - it's a complete dog's dinner

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 13:12 - Oct 6 with 926 viewsspudgun

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 12:48 - Oct 6 by ROTTWEILERS

They are a basket case and I'm glad the EFL appear to have spared them at Bury's expense - it's a complete dog's dinner

The club did own some serious real estate at Euxton and Lostock which presumably they have sold off for a decent amount...
What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 14:45 - Oct 6 with 912 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 13:12 - Oct 6 by spudgun

The club did own some serious real estate at Euxton and Lostock which presumably they have sold off for a decent amount...

The problem with debt is "how when who and why?" Some of the large sums are accountancy tricks a large headline figure. It's the smaller sums that really hurt local businesses.

Some of this debt at clubs is used as a method to siphon off funds out of the parent holding company, or allow them to sell off assets, which if you know what you're doing is all legal.

Each club is different tho, in Bolton's case you must be looking at a paper debt of at least £100m +, and the way FV have come in with the takeover you can see nothing but trouble for them further down the line.

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 21:33 - Oct 6 with 898 viewsspell_chekker

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 14:45 - Oct 6 by BringBackTheRedRoom

The problem with debt is "how when who and why?" Some of the large sums are accountancy tricks a large headline figure. It's the smaller sums that really hurt local businesses.

Some of this debt at clubs is used as a method to siphon off funds out of the parent holding company, or allow them to sell off assets, which if you know what you're doing is all legal.

Each club is different tho, in Bolton's case you must be looking at a paper debt of at least £100m +, and the way FV have come in with the takeover you can see nothing but trouble for them further down the line.

Lee's podcast is very good, isn't it?

Its a top piece.

The long and short of it is that Bolton shouldn't have been allowed to compete in the EFL this season.

Why that is not the case, I can only speculate.

They should have started from the conference or northern premier league this year.

It's a joke.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 06:55 - Oct 7 with 879 viewsSeaside_Lee

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 21:33 - Oct 6 by spell_chekker

Lee's podcast is very good, isn't it?

Its a top piece.

The long and short of it is that Bolton shouldn't have been allowed to compete in the EFL this season.

Why that is not the case, I can only speculate.

They should have started from the conference or northern premier league this year.

It's a joke.

Thanks so much spell chekker

I hadn't thought of it as a "podcast" but I guess that is kind of what it is?

My idea for it the other day was to discuss a topic with you guys on the forums and create a video based on that discussion and I'm pretty pleased with this first attempt.

Ideally I would like to repeat the process but then have a guest in to discuss the replies with. In my head that works as a concept for a good watch.

If anyone on here would be interested in doing something like that with me on that kind of show? please let me know
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 6:56]
What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 17:42 - Oct 9 with 854 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

What are your thoughts on the Bolton situation on 06:55 - Oct 7 by Seaside_Lee

Thanks so much spell chekker

I hadn't thought of it as a "podcast" but I guess that is kind of what it is?

My idea for it the other day was to discuss a topic with you guys on the forums and create a video based on that discussion and I'm pretty pleased with this first attempt.

Ideally I would like to repeat the process but then have a guest in to discuss the replies with. In my head that works as a concept for a good watch.

If anyone on here would be interested in doing something like that with me on that kind of show? please let me know
[Post edited 7 Oct 2019 6:56]

I like the idea of the podcast Lee.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024